Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Blog Free or Die posted:

Makes me think of the story of Floyd Collins

this is one heck of a read

quote:

Floyd Collins's father, Lee Collins, sold the homestead and cave. The new owner placed Collins's body in a glass-topped coffin and exhibited it in Crystal Cave for many years. On the night of March 18–19, 1929, the body was stolen. It was recovered, but the injured left leg was missing. After this, the remains were kept in a secluded portion of Crystal in a chained casket.

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Lotta retarded drivers itt.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Driving on snow is like driving (?) a boat, it's a very different mindset.

But, yes. Fools abound.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

A friend posted this on his FB.

This, this doesn't look very safe.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

mattfl posted:

A friend posted this on his FB.

This, this doesn't look very safe.

Are some people just born without a natural fear of unstable footing? Just looking at that makes me uneasy, and I'm sitting safely in an office chair.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's a ford in my town where a stream runs across a back road. After heavy rain, it becomes impassable but the extensive warning signs and the fact that you're basically driving into a loving lake doesn't deter drivers from routinely cheerfully plowing into 7 feet of water.

"No more can be done to stop "idiotic" drivers getting stuck in Charvil ford, says highways chief"

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/no-more-can-done-stop-6521474

Sorry to dredge this up for pages past, but I firmly believe that there should be a limit to how much SHOULD be done to prevent idiots from taking themselves out of the gene pool. Humanity has basically solved the whole "natural selection by survival of the fittest" problem, so the only thing preventing us from completely overpopulating this planet is those people that are literally too stupid to notice poo poo like this either killing themselves or removing their ability to reproduce.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

McDeth posted:

Sorry to dredge this up for pages past, but I firmly believe that there should be a limit to how much SHOULD be done to prevent idiots from taking themselves out of the gene pool. Humanity has basically solved the whole "natural selection by survival of the fittest" problem, so the only thing preventing us from completely overpopulating this planet is those people that are literally too stupid to notice poo poo like this either killing themselves or removing their ability to reproduce.

Didn't see you there, Safetyfuhrer Hitler!

Everybody makes mistakes. Sometimes you're tired, distracted, etc. That doesn't mean you don't deserve to live.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That 10'11 bridge or what ever proves no amount of flashing warnings and signage can stop idiot drivers from plowing into things. At some point you just have to go the route of heavy fines and punishment and crippling insurance premiums for horrible drivers, but that would be a "war on cars" so a no-go. Driving is a fundamental human right that can not be taken away regardless of the levels of negligence.
Not just allowing but encouraging private motoring with licensing standards so low anyone can do it as the primary form of transport for an entire country it is probably the most OSHA thing in this thread.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 15, 2016

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

McDeth posted:

whoa buddy, someone might get cut on your edge. rough unexposed edges are a workplace violation

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
osha violations should result in involuntary castration

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

Apparently it's in Indiana, which isn't so cold as you might think. Depending on which part of the state they are in it could be uncommon weather there. My grandparents lived in Indiana for a while and hardly ever got snow. Below freezing temperatures, sure, but precipitation wasn't very common. A light dusting of snow was the most I ever saw there during holiday visits. It may very well be that these people don't know how to drive in the weather.

It's Indianapolis, where we get legit snow maybe three or four times a year, and the main roads are always totally clear within a few hours after it ends. (and often during it, the road crews here are super on the ball) If the timing works out, it's totally possible for someone to go a whole winter without actually having to drive on icy/snowy roads. Not that that absolves people from knowing they should slow down when the roads are slick, but a normal person's winter driving experience is closer to the average Atlanta driver than the average Chicago driver.

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

xergm posted:

Are some people just born without a natural fear of unstable footing? Just looking at that makes me uneasy, and I'm sitting safely in an office chair.

I used to do home remodeling with my dad and we would do stuff like that all the time. Just set up your contraption, and if it doesn't fall apart with a little shaking with your foot, you're good to go.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

McDeth posted:

why would you dredge up a loving 5 week old post to vomit up this terrible opinion

the gently caress is wrong with you

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pro tip: if your post begins with "sorry to bring up this old rear end post", whatever follows will loving suck so just delete it and move on

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

You aren't allowed to slow down until you enter the Cone Zone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

deoju posted:

What extension is that?
TIA :)

I can't say what Gorilla Salad is using, but I really like the YouTube Link Title script.

The extension you need is Greasemonkey if you're on Firefox, Tampermonkey if you're on Chrome, or Guerilla Scripting if you're one of us weirdos who like Pale Moon. You install the extension and then go install the script I linked. Once that's done, unlabeled video links (from lots of places, not just youtube) look like this:

Mouse over it for the video preview image. I find it's most useful in this thread and in the meme thread.

(Userscripts are great, by the way. I wrote one to change the hideous colors on one of the intranet sites at work, and it's been passed around the office like wildfire.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChesterJT posted:

I never get tired of goons with the burnout tag acting like the cops made them speed somehow.

Did I claim that in any way? For the record I've never challenged a speeding ticket, I've deserved every one I've received because every time I've been in excess of the average speed on that road.

That's not what I'm talking about. You know as well as anyone else that every city has roads where the average speed of free-flowing traffic is significantly above the posted speed limit. Traffic engineering guidelines like the MUTCD will tell you that this means the limit is unreasonably low. If a city, instead of fixing this discrepancy by either raising the limit or installing traffic calming measures to reduce the natural speed of the road to the desired level, chooses to send officers out to enforce a limit that's clearly inappropriate for the road they are not acting with safety in mind.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

wolrah posted:

Did I claim that in any way? For the record I've never challenged a speeding ticket, I've deserved every one I've received because every time I've been in excess of the average speed on that road.
Lol you should anyway, get those points off your license but pay the fine anyway.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wolrah posted:

That's not what I'm talking about. You know as well as anyone else that every city has roads where the average speed of free-flowing traffic is significantly above the posted speed limit. Traffic engineering guidelines like the MUTCD will tell you that this means the limit is unreasonably low. If a city, instead of fixing this discrepancy by either raising the limit or installing traffic calming measures to reduce the natural speed of the road to the desired level, chooses to send officers out to enforce a limit that's clearly inappropriate for the road they are not acting with safety in mind.

"i get higher throughput and more efficiency on the table saw with the finger sensitive resistance interlock disabled, clearly this is not actually about safety"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baronjutter posted:

Driving is a fundamental human right that can not be taken away regardless of the levels of negligence.

If you want to drive around on your own personal property, sure. If you want to drive on public roads you'll need a license and insurance and all that jazz. If you gently caress up you can have that license taken away for a short while. Or 78 years if you keep loving up over and over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

boner confessor posted:

"i get higher throughput and more efficiency on the table saw with the finger sensitive resistance interlock disabled, clearly this is not actually about safety"

It’s more like traffic calming measures are the safety interlocks and police enforcement is like “we don’t need interlocks because OSHA drops by sometimes.”

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

boner confessor posted:

Pretty much every traffic expert in the country will tell you that speed limits are artificially low all over the place for revenue, you look like a moron for arguing this point that wolrah never made in the first place.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you want to drive around on your own personal property, sure. If you want to drive on public roads you'll need a license and insurance and all that jazz. If you gently caress up you can have that license taken away for a short while. Or 78 years if you keep loving up over and over.

That link confuses me. He got a license cancellation for 2 years but that somehow translates to 78 years?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Unsafe at any speed is about right in that any accident is going to cause you to have a bad day. Crumple zones have made it better but your prospects above 40mph aren't good.

In other words safety is speed agnostic at a certain point so using road design to make roads where people naturally seek a reasonable speed for conditions holds some amount of water, look at autobahns. But it starts with more training than the average state's driving test and ends with more infrastructure spending when we barely keep the potholes filled and the bridges standing.

or

Platystemon posted:

It’s more like traffic calming measures are the safety interlocks and police enforcement is like “we don’t need interlocks because OSHA drops by sometimes.”

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Theris posted:

It's Indianapolis, where we get legit snow maybe three or four times a year, and the main roads are always totally clear within a few hours after it ends. (and often during it, the road crews here are super on the ball) If the timing works out, it's totally possible for someone to go a whole winter without actually having to drive on icy/snowy roads. Not that that absolves people from knowing they should slow down when the roads are slick, but a normal person's winter driving experience is closer to the average Atlanta driver than the average Chicago driver.
But also, drivers here are just not very good.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

chitoryu12 posted:

That link confuses me. He got a license cancellation for 2 years but that somehow translates to 78 years?

His license was already revoked or whatever they call it in kangaroo land.

thearticle posted:

Nathaniel Barker, 78, was given a three-month suspended sentence on Monday after pleading guilty to repeatedly driving while disqualified.

so his license was already revoked, and he's been arrested before for doing so and probably gotten an extension on his revoked status, and this last time was an extra 2 years added on to whatever he already had.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
zoom zoom

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

If cops love to make money on every ticket they can write, how do cops not be there going "reckless driving... reckless driving... reckless driving... man I'm making BANK here!"

The mayor of my old town has stated there are 3 cars on constant duty specifically for this purpose.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/opinion/columnists/2015/11/30/rabble-rouser-careful-evesham/76564784/

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Tumblr of scotch posted:

But also, drivers here are just not very good.

This is very true

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's an easy way to fix your infringement-farming problem.
MAKE FINES GO TO STATE REVENUE

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

That 10'11 bridge or what ever proves no amount of flashing warnings and signage can stop idiot drivers from plowing into things.

And speaking of that, the first catastrophic kill since the new signs went up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73xZf20O8Y

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

food court bailiff posted:

Pretty much every traffic expert in the country will tell you that speed limits are artificially low all over the place for revenue, you look like a moron for arguing this point that wolrah never made in the first place.

It's truly the most capitalist of systems. Let the market dictate the speed!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

coupbrick posted:

That work zone was highly unsafe and those guys are hosed. Comcast is going to lose lawsuits because of them. If traffic is going too fast, it's because you aren't doing enough to slow them down, hello liability.

They should have had flagmen down the road. They had it down to 1 lane. Protocol be damned, it's lovely weather and people aren't expecting to have a full lane blocked.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Bokito posted:

I'm starting to think that workplace safety is not a high priority in China:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bc3_1481760085

NWS obviously!

Hard to tell from the video but it looks like it's probably a couple hundred to maybe a thousand horsepower motor on the left side of the coupling. I was at a motor rewind shop and during rotor balancing there were people working "fairly close" to the exposed drive-end of a 5000-ish horsepower motor spinning at 900RPM. You treat rotating equipment like that with tremendous respect.

The testing area was restricted since there were so many hazards including temporary setups for power up to 7200 volts. They did a lot of 4160V and 7200V machines. (4160V is pretty standard for big industrial sites and very old sites use 2400V.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 16, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Powered Descent posted:

I can't say what Gorilla Salad is using, but I really like the YouTube Link Title script.

The extension you need is Greasemonkey if you're on Firefox, Tampermonkey if you're on Chrome, or Guerilla Scripting if you're one of us weirdos who like Pale Moon. You install the extension and then go install the script I linked. Once that's done, unlabeled video links (from lots of places, not just youtube) look like this:

Mouse over it for the video preview image. I find it's most useful in this thread and in the meme thread.

(Userscripts are great, by the way. I wrote one to change the hideous colors on one of the intranet sites at work, and it's been passed around the office like wildfire.)

Yep, that's the one.

And double yep on how useful userscripts are. I have so many running to fix poo poo from horrible colours in sites, to replacing text, to 'fixing' posts by goons with those obnoxiously flashing avatars.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

food court bailiff posted:

Pretty much every traffic expert in the country will tell you that speed limits are artificially low all over the place for revenue.

You people don't really believe this, do you?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

blarzgh posted:

You people don't really believe this, do you?

Right, they're artificially low because of pearl-clutching bluehairs and rich NIMBY fucklords.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mostlygray posted:

They should have had flagmen down the road. They had it down to 1 lane. Protocol be damned, it's lovely weather and people aren't expecting to have a full lane blocked.

But then the doofuses diving too fast for conditions will run over the flagman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Dashcam Owners Australia Facebook page has a "She'll be right" gallery full of photos like this:

Noice.