Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcsZK9RdrY

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

If Cloud and Aerith are the most important characters in the party, I think Vincent is only a bit behind them and entirely equal with other party members. I mean, it takes a while to recruit him, but most people won't recruit Yuffie until around the same time and you can get Vincent before you get Cid.

Aren't Vincent and Yuffie 100% optional characters? Claiming Vincent is in any way close to Cloud and Aerith in importance is insane. That's like saying Shadow and Mog are almost as important as Celes and Terra in FF6's story.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Evil Fluffy posted:

Aren't Vincent and Yuffie 100% optional characters? Claiming Vincent is in any way close to Cloud and Aerith in importance is insane. That's like saying Shadow and Mog are almost as important as Celes and Terra in FF6's story.

Vincent is important to the backstory of the game, but not really relevant to the main story except when you finally confront Hojo. He used to be a Turk and could have prevented Sephiroth from even being conceived so that's pretty important. But he really doesn't have much relevance to the main plot except that he has a grudge against Shinra and Hojo.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The big issue here is you're conflating what you actively remember with what actually is in the game, which are definitely not the same thing. Cloud's got some great character moments with everyone (Except Red XIII whose barely in the story and Vincent because he's barely canon and thus not really real for most of the story). His petty fighting with/poking fun at Barret early on in the game is mixed with some weirdly mature understanding of each other, even early on. You get scenes where Cloud says "Yeah I'll do the work...for double the price" and Barret and the Avalanche squad just get super bummed that cloud's in it for the money and not their best bud, Cloud making fun of Barret's demeanor (SHINY GOLDEN WIRE OF HOPE and the stairs scenes) and Barret mocking Cloud's tough guy persona and coldness, but during those confrontational parts you also have moments of genuine understanding like the dialogue before Cloud falls into Sector 5. That's just early on and just how he interacts with one other cast member.

They don't have the warmest relationship, but nobody does in 7 because the world and cast of the game are broken and worn down, but Cloud isn't some completely distant cold rear end in a top hat. He's just pretending to be one and is really bad at pretending (Because that's the whole shtick of his character history and reveal)

I know this, I remember those parts. I think you're mistaking me saying there's no character interactions when I said "Zidane has friendlier interactions", which sounds like what you're saying. The group feels more distant and disinterested because they're led by somebody pretending to be cold. Not always cold, but mostly. Even when he's telling stories or talking to the group about plans, it's a straight to business way of talking. Which is fine for the character. I don't dislike him, I think he's a unique and interesting lead. I just feel like I didn't get to know them enough, so I didn't care all that much about any of them compared to others in the series. I'm saying that perhaps if there were active story events like FF9 showing more of characters doing their own stuff without Cloud, or there were party splits where different combinations had their stories like FF6, or there were more group talks where everyone interacted like X, I would have warmed up to the cast.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

As far as character interactions go, I think it'd be cool to expand on that part where Cid is the party leader, use it to further develop the side characters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I too want to see the angry abusive astronaut interact more with the teenage talking dog and the cat robot.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I never played a FF game so I checked out the new one and it seems to revolve around a car full of Hard Gay cosplayers cruising the countryside seeing who has the biggest sword.

I'd play that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would but it's not on steam.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Xarbala posted:

I would but it's not on steam.

I wouldn't even if it was on Steam, but it's a pretty convenient excuse to deflect assertions I should play it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

clone on the phone posted:

I never played a FF game so I checked out the new one and it seems to revolve around a car full of Hard Gay cosplayers cruising the countryside seeing who has the biggest sword.

I'd play that.

Yeah, it's basically this, and it loving sucks because of it. I wanted my "Yakuza 5 as Final Fantasy", not "Gay Boy Band Does lovely Stuff." I wish Nomura had been allowed to finish his vision, it would have been the tits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One character who is engaged to be married and another who literally spends his time taking pictures of women's tits and arguing over which one he wants to date: totally gay.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Gologle posted:

Yeah, it's basically this, and it loving sucks because of it. I wanted my "Yakuza 5 as Final Fantasy", not "Gay Boy Band Does lovely Stuff." I wish Nomura had been allowed to finish his vision, it would have been the tits.

Worth mentioning that Nomura had no idea where the hell to go with Versus XIII, so you can't really say he had a vision.

ImpAtom posted:

One character who is engaged to be married and another who literally spends his time taking pictures of women's tits and arguing over which one he wants to date: totally gay.

Also Gladio totally digs all the buff chicks in Lestallum and I'm pretty sure Ignis doesn't have any kind of attraction toward anyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

Worth mentioning that Nomura had no idea where the hell to go with Versus XIII, so you can't really say he had a vision.

Also Gladio totally digs all the buff chicks in Lestallum and I'm pretty sure Ignis doesn't have any kind of attraction toward anyone.

Ignis is attracted to recipes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It doesn't matter what you think because men that are friends are always gay no matter what according to the internet.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Alxprit posted:

It doesn't matter what you think because men that are friends are always gay no matter what according to the internet.

Maybe there's some truth to that :blush:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alxprit posted:

Yeah but according to the internet all straight men are gay, all straight women are gay, all gay women are bisexual and all bisexual men don't exist.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gologle posted:

ah yes, if only they'd given Nomura another decade to "finish his vision", Final Fantasy XV would be a good game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ROFL Octopus posted:

Apparently he saw a musical one day and wanted to change the game to be that.

That's totally not gay, right?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Dudes are straight overcompensating. More like Final Dock-acy 15 amirite

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A musical!

That's totally not gay, right?

It was, if I remember right, specifically Les Miserables inspired which is... <checks database> not fully gay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Musicals own. We need more musicals in games. #FE is the best musical JRPG and Rhapsody is the second best.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I too want to see the angry abusive astronaut interact more with the teenage talking dog and the cat robot.

This but unironically(?)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

Musicals own. We need more musicals in games. #FE is the best musical JRPG and Rhapsody is the second best.

If Rhapsody is second then the list must be only two games long.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

That is the joke, yes.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
There is also Rhapsody 2 :(

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Musicals suck, which is weird. Music is great and plays are great. Fruit is great and cake is great. Stuff mis if and plays together and you get the fruitcake of entertainment.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You and I are about to have words that break out into a melodic pattern set to musical accompaniment with dance break about this ranking.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, there was at least that 360 RPG about Chopin fhat didn't seem too hot, and Ephemeral Fantasia, the worst JRPG I've ever played.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't think Eternal Sonata really counts as a musical game, it's a standard JPRG (albeit set in the dying dream of Frederic Chopin) that occasionally decides that the "game" part is too hard and instead opens up freddy_chopin.ppt and plays some sad piano music over it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artix posted:

I don't think Eternal Sonata really counts as a musical game, it's a standard JPRG (albeit set in the dying dream of Frederic Chopin) that occasionally decides that the "game" part is too hard and instead opens up freddy_chopin.ppt and plays some sad piano music over it.

Eternal Sonata is a game that made me begin timing how long it takes a small child to attempt suicide.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
XV is about deep platonic friendship between men who feel feelings. There's actually nothing gay about that.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bKBe033lZU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know it's brought up a lot when "there's no womz!" is criticized in XV but did anyone say X-2 was gay for being about three women?

That was something I always found funny about X-2. A lot of guys found it too girly while the actual girls thought it was cheap boner-fuel for boys.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean some of my fanfics certainly did, yes....

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
The only way you're going to get around accusations of sexism anywhere in the games industry is with characters like Agrias/Meliadoul/Lucia goe Junius or something closer in design to some of the more commanding female leads in Game of Thrones, like Brienne of Tarth. Also, have to drop the boob armor.

Varance fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 16, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I'm not sure why this is, but platonic male homosociality--in North America in particular, less so but still applicable in Europe--has been coded as "gay" for quite some time now, while female homosociality is considered much more normal and accepted. There are a lot of theories about how it came about, but it's pretty solidly rooted in homophobia and the linking of overtly masculine behavior with heterosexuality. It's a pretty interesting, if depressing, part of North American queer history.

e: There is a lot of writing about this on the internet if you're interested. One theory I found interesting was that it was linked to when our culture started seeing any social touch performed by a man as an overtly sexual, predatory action.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It's just unfortunate you never see Iris the Daemon Hunter on screen in XV

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm not sure why this is, but platonic male homosociality--in North America in particular, less so but still applicable in Europe--has been coded as "gay" for quite some time now, while female homosociality is considered much more normal and accepted. There are a lot of theories about how it came about, but it's pretty solidly rooted in homophobia and the linking of overtly masculine behavior with heterosexuality. It's a pretty interesting, if depressing, part of North American queer history.

I'd honestly describe the guys in XV as almost Tolkienesque in how comfortable they're portrayed in showing affection for each other but there's not a tinge of "queerbaiting" about it. It's really refreshing.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Nina posted:

I'd honestly describe the guys in XV as almost Tolkienesque in how comfortable they're portrayed in showing affection for each other but there's not a tinge of "queerbaiting" about it. It's really refreshing.
This is really a point in FFXV's favor, from what I've played of it. They don't come off as romantic or sexual with each other at all, just playful and comfortable in a way that's really uncommon among platonic male friends in NA.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Varance posted:

The only way you're going to get around accusations of sexism anywhere in the games industry is with characters like Agrias/Meliadoul/Lucia goe Junius or something closer in design to some of the more commanding female leads in Game of Thrones, like Brienne of Tarth. Also, have to drop the boob armor.

To be fair, a lot of the people working on 15 also worked on Third Birthday so they'd already dug themselves a big ol sexism hole to have to climb out of. It's probably better they didn't try to write women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

NikkolasKing posted:

I know it's brought up a lot when "there's no womz!" is criticized in XV but did anyone say X-2 was gay for being about three women?

That was something I always found funny about X-2. A lot of guys found it too girly while the actual girls thought it was cheap boner-fuel for boys.

X-2 is good and fun, so those opinions are irrelevant.