Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Certainly not by that most erogenous of zones, the taint.

i sense a new thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
The Taint, aka the Glans God Made in Anger.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I don't know which was more Catholic about my morning: actually forgetting that you're kneeling and not sitting during Mass (my church's kneeling benches are pretty comfy tho) or shooting the poo poo with a bunch of priests at breakfast afterwards and gossiping about other religious orders (“Yeah, their theology is pretty weird“) :v:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

System Metternich posted:

I don't know which was more Catholic about my morning: actually forgetting that you're kneeling and not sitting during Mass (my church's kneeling benches are pretty comfy tho) or shooting the poo poo with a bunch of priests at breakfast afterwards and gossiping about other religious orders (“Yeah, their theology is pretty weird“) :v:

My priest said Jesuits are all crazy.

But then you learn that they spend (give or take one) sixteen years in the world of academia, so it checks out.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Can we institute a worldwide ban on decontextualized Bible citations? I've seen several pop up on my Facebook feed over the past week, and it seems to me to be the height of insufferable, insular Christian virtue signaling. it's entirely legitimate to want to share a passage of scripture that's touched you, but holy poo poo at least do your audience the courtesy of writing it out rather than making them do the work of looking it up. It's like the Christian version of posting sad song lyrics after your breakup.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Bel_Canto posted:

Can we institute a worldwide ban on decontextualized Bible citations? I've seen several pop up on my Facebook feed over the past week, and it seems to me to be the height of insufferable, insular Christian virtue signaling. it's entirely legitimate to want to share a passage of scripture that's touched you, but holy poo poo at least do your audience the courtesy of writing it out rather than making them do the work of looking it up. It's like the Christian version of posting sad song lyrics after your breakup.

1 minute with bibledice.com and photoshop :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
gaaaah

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bel_Canto posted:

http://babylonbee.com/news/local-family-inadvertently-prints-imprecatory-psalm-christmas-cards/

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

http://babylonbee.com/news/youth-pastor-prepares-message-jesus-real-rogue-one/

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lmfao this is so true it hurts

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

We need to reach a consensus here today,

Is Francis Peter the Roman or not

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

if not, might he be Literal Gay Satan instead??

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Uh his name is Francis, so obv not. hth.

Why, is the world ending? It's cold enough here that I welcome the cleansing of the world by fire.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Worthleast posted:

Why, is the world ending? It's cold enough here that I welcome the cleansing of the world by fire.

He is the last numbered guy

Not enough pope hat notches on the wall for another

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Worthleast posted:

Grandma always said, anyone who's lived through a real winter knows Hell is cold, not flames.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

ezekial 23:20 share and type amen if you agree

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Phlegmatist posted:

i haven't looked yet but this is the one about the bears isn't it

e: oh donkey dicks, i was close

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

AMEN BROTHER

Take JKL's link about the Christmas card scripture quote gone wrong and substitute this for a Valentine's day card.

"Uh, hey babe, I think I mis-typed the Bible verse on the Valentine's Day card I sent you. Please don't be mad? :ohdear:"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Christianity Thread II - Ezekiel 23:20: lust for donkey dicks and horse semen

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
My favorite, which I posted in the last thread, is how Matthew 4:9 tends to wind up in inspirational Bible quote collections. "All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me." literally Satan

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Smoking Crow posted:

He is the last numbered guy

Not enough pope hat notches on the wall for another

My cousin told me that once

The world was ending bc the Vatican only has so many places for the pope's hat, they only had enough for all the popes until Christ came back

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Smoking Crow posted:

The world was ending bc the Vatican only has so many places for the pope's hat, they only had enough for all the popes until Christ came back

Naw they added more circles in St. Paul's while Ben was still reigning.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Smoking Crow posted:

The Vaticans builders, apparently time travelling mystics.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Phlegmatist posted:

My favorite, which I posted in the last thread, is how Matthew 4:9 tends to wind up in inspirational Bible quote collections. "All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me." literally Satan

there was a Chick tract that implied Jesus asked "Who but God can forgive sins?"

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

AMEN BROTHER

Take JKL's link about the Christmas card scripture quote gone wrong and substitute this for a Valentine's day card.

"Uh, hey babe, I think I mis-typed the Bible verse on the Valentine's Day card I sent you. Please don't be mad? :ohdear:"

Oh, yeah, I should say that the satirical article is based on something that happened before. Matthew 19:6 on a wedding invitation got turned into Matthew 9:6 and nobody caught the error before it went to print.

"But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house." welp that marriage looks to be off to a rocky start already.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Pellisworth posted:

Grandma always said, anyone who's lived through a real winter knows Hell is cold, not flames.

As anybody who's been touched by real heat knows: what loving difference does it make

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Phlegmatist posted:

I would feel awkward making fun of this, if for no other reason than because in another life I'd love to use it to suggest that all demands for servitude and submission are of the devil. :devil:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Nerding out about art history has been interesting.

In the Bible, John the Baptist (also sometimes called John the Forerunner by Eastern Orthodox churches since he was the Forerunner of Christ, and John the Baptizer by the Church of Christ because Baptist is a denomination and we can't have that, and also the Mormons teach that he appeared to Joseph Smith in the flesh) is a hard-rear end dude. He's an Essene who lives in the wilderness, eats locusts, wears clothes made out of camel hair, tells everyone to repent and baptizes them in the Jordan.

So let's see how this bad mammajamma gets represented in art.

yeahh boy you got that camel hair on ya, and you look kinda sad but I'm sure that's only because the artists knew the horrifying death you'd die

whoa you've been upgraded to Angel of The Desert status, sorry about looking like a twisted crow monster but this is still in the first millennium and people aren't so hot at drawing stuff yet, maybe they'll get it right in the next!

let's see what the Renaissance has in store for John the Baptist!

Caravaggio I'm pretty sure this is not Biblically accurate; like that dude ate locusts and stuff but I think he knew how to wear clothes and also he was Jewish.

:nws:

caravaggio stop

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 17, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

caravaggio stop
you know what's great? that dude's police record is great

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this caravaggio guy can't be that bad right?

quote:

He had frequent brushes with the police, got into trouble for throwing a plate of cooked artichokes in the face of a waiter in a tavern, and made a hole in the ceiling of his rented studio, so that his huge paintings would fit inside. His landlady sued, so he and a friend pelted her window with stones.

:eyepop:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
It's probably par for the course of a Renaissance artist when nobody can figure out if you died from lead poisoning or syphilis or pneumonia. Occupational hazards, y'know?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
are we sure carvaggio didn't just want to be in a room with a naked boy for hours cause that would make more sense than him being like "yes this is perfect just like john the baptist. toe to tip, this is john the baptist."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mo Tzu posted:

are we sure carvaggio didn't just want to be in a room with a naked boy for hours cause that would make more sense than him being like "yes this is perfect just like john the baptist. toe to tip, this is john the baptist."

if you're going to go down this road, then i think you are required to also provide an interpretation regarding the sheep

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel like leaving it unstated is more impactful

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
just a naked man lovingly grasping his ram

don't even get me started on St. Sebastian

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah i'd need to see that john the baptist's id before i called him a man

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Can I ask for you guys's prayers? My husband's anxiety meds stopped working the week before he was fired from a job he hated, and now he's jobhunting, something that always makes him anxious, right before the Xmas holidays when most companies aren't trying to hire. His doctor is prescribing a sub-clinical dose of one SSRI to taper him off the previous SSRI, and won't update the dose until next month for medical reasons. He's running on rims at the moment. Thanks.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can I ask for you guys's prayers? My husband's anxiety meds stopped working the week before he was fired from a job he hated, and now he's jobhunting, something that always makes him anxious, right before the Xmas holidays when most companies aren't trying to hire. His doctor is prescribing a sub-clinical dose of one SSRI to taper him off the previous SSRI, and won't update the dose until next month for medical reasons. He's running on rims at the moment. Thanks.

St. Dymphyna please pray with us.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
One time at Christian camp they were having kids write bible verse citations on white cards and taking selfies with the hashtag for the camp. I of course, being the noble leader that I am, let my kiddos write the reference for the horse cock verse on their cards and post the photos. When I saw all the photos in a slide show on the jumbo tron I thought for sure we were going to get the boot. No one said anything. TL;DR Episcopalians really don't know their Bibles that well, the jokes are true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

WerrWaaa posted:

One time at Christian camp...

Everyone finish this sentence.

• Locked thread