Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

vyelkin posted:

Hey let's be fair, we all remember that time in real life when the Japanese just straight up invaded Singapore from the sea.

Dang. When was that?
(Irony?)

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We drop depth charges on this sub. We don't hit, but its nice to see my destroyers doing something for a change.

Our ships are hounded out of Darwin.

We're reaching a turning point here, casualties are evening out.

We lost several ships in Australia today.

Thankfully they were mostly small ones.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

RA Rx posted:

Dang. When was that?
(Irony?)

Irony for sure. Singapore was supposed to be invincible from the sea, so the Japanese dispensed with the bad idea of a direct naval invasion entirely and instead came in through the Malay Peninsula. Lieutenant-General Arthur Percival saw this coming all the way back in 1937. However, he was unsuccessful in defending Singapore and capitulated to a theoretically smaller force. This infuriated Churchill and made Percival persona non grata in British circles, but to be honest I'm not sure whether he really had a shot at defending against the Japanese.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 14, 2016

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm pretty sure Percival had weeks to build a defence, and when his head engineer asked why the hell he hadn't, he said it "might have lowered civilian morale".

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

No he personally surveyed the terrain and correctly identified landing beaches north of the city but was hamstrung by the British leadership

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Comstar posted:

I'm pretty sure Percival had weeks to build a defence, and when his head engineer asked why the hell he hadn't, he said it "might have lowered civilian morale".

Specifically the morale of the civilian leadership.

I adore Churchill, but he just didn't treat the man right (though there's always ways to deal with recalcitrant civvies during wartime...). :(

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
"Casualties are evening out"

Tell that to all the grieving widows :negative:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

"Casualties are evening out"

Tell that to all the grieving widows :negative:

Grieving? They have brought honour to their families! These are the battles that will go down in Imperial history!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Allies come in with fighter support, and.... it makes things worse for them.

Our wounded ships continue to be harassed.

We take a lot of squad losses today.

Thankfully, the Chinese balance things up with their own attack.

Another brutal day in china, and my understrength attack on Darwin has cost me many ships.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
how many Japanese soldiers all told have died at Hankow :aaa:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Even after years of following these LP's the game still makes very little sense to me.

Allied AV: 5482

Adjusted Allied AV: 1

And I suspect it's 1 because of a hard limit and it would have been -2910 or something without that limit.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

CeeJee posted:

Even after years of following these LP's the game still makes very little sense to me.

And I suspect it's 1 because of a hard limit and it would have been -2910 or something without that limit.

They got ready to go and then they all decided it was a bad idea and stayed home instead. Except for Benny, 'cause nobody thought to tell him. Poor, poor Benny.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

CeeJee posted:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CeeJee posted:

We've seen it at 0 before.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I like the implication that there's still a 1% possibility of victory for the attackers. I'd love to see Grey's face if it happened.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Do the troops that China loses at Chungking endlessly respawn there? So is this basically a nice way to tie up supply while farming points for killing these dumb attacks?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
I don't remember the number but don't most of the Chinese squads reform there at something like 1/4 or 1/3 strength for free?

Eventually wouldn't it get to a point where (it's a bit gamey for the AI) they could constantly just throw new units at Grey in the hopes of trying to eventually disrupt his troops? Then hit him with some that have some semblance of supplies to try and dislodge him?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

shalafi4 posted:

I don't remember the number but don't most of the Chinese squads reform there at something like 1/4 or 1/3 strength for free?

Eventually wouldn't it get to a point where (it's a bit gamey for the AI) they could constantly just throw new units at Grey in the hopes of trying to eventually disrupt his troops? Then hit him with some that have some semblance of supplies to try and dislodge him?

I was mainly wondering what happens to the squads he kills that respawned there. If they already respawned at 1/4th strength, are destroyed again, and respawn, are they still at 1/4th strength or does it compound?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
There is a 30 day delay before they respawn (units respawn at 1/3rd the unit's TO&E strength), so he will be able to take the city eventually.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

pthighs posted:

There is a 30 day delay before they respawn (units respawn at 1/3rd the unit's TO&E strength), so he will be able to take the city eventually.

Assuming he can destroy or push back every Chinese formation in Chungking over the course of a month. It's a hell of an if.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I take it trying to actually capture the city would be like what's going on at Hankow but worse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

I like the implication that there's still a 1% possibility of victory for the attackers. I'd love to see Grey's face if it happened.

You misunderstand

In the totally broken, braindead model of WITP land combat, it is impossible to win if your odds are below 2:1 or a terrain adjusted equivalent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Seriously?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
why are they called odds, then

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Doesn't it seem odd to you?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
heyoooo

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah! Take that!

Bombers being bombers.

I set up a long range CAP. We damage some planes, but they kill a lot of ground troops.

Crap, forgot to stop these guys again.

I've stopped the attack!

The Lexington is dead!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Hot drat, sub on sub action.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:toot:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grey Hunter posted:

We confirm two kills, but gain 703 points this turn, some of this (200) is from base point fluctuations, 90 from killed planes, this leaves roughly a carrier worth of points!
Lets see how long the papers take to report this.

Only 10 days!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Curoius why Lexington was reported before Enterprise.. The Ent seems a lot likelier to have sunk first given how much of a mauling she took. But nice! And you took out a sub too! if it was a Dutch one it would've been even better! But nice - so what's the next strategic plan after the fleets are repaired then Grey?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"Near Rockhampton on Dec 5"

She lasted a full week after Milne Bay and managed to make it halfway to Sidney, but in the end the damage proved too much. RIP Lexington.

I think she probably was reported before Big E because she sunk closer to the coast and there would have been witnesses and/or newspapers talking about this, whereas the Enterprise sunk in bumfuck nowhere with no one around to see. Does the game model this?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mikl posted:

"Near Rockhampton on Dec 5"

She lasted a full week after Milne Bay and managed to make it halfway to Sidney, but in the end the damage proved too much. RIP Lexington.

I think she probably was reported before Big E because she sunk closer to the coast and there would have been witnesses and/or newspapers talking about this, whereas the Enterprise sunk in bumfuck nowhere with no one around to see. Does the game model this?

The game semi-randomly reports losses.

Reported losses can also be retracted at a later date, afaik.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
This may have been talked about earlier, but can sunk ships be refloated/salvaged?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Donkringel posted:

This may have been talked about earlier, but can sunk ships be refloated/salvaged?

Nope.

Sunk is a "one and done" type affair, but I'll double-check next time I can take a peek at the manual.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nope.

Sunk is a "one and done" type affair, but I'll double-check next time I can take a peek at the manual.

Even in shallow water like what happened at Pearl Harbor?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Ron Jeremy posted:

The game seems to represent that by nothing ever sinking in Pearl Harbour.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ron Jeremy posted:

Friend Commuter posted:

The game seems to represent that by nothing ever sinking in Pearl Harbour.

Even capturing a port (almost) always ends with any ships stationed there being scuttled. I want to say there's a very small percent chance that you can actually capture ships, but I don't recall seeing it in a game or in the manual. Another thing I'll have to double-check.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Deck guns at dawn.

This is the price we pay for Milne Bay raids – the occasional Port Moresby slaughter.

Not to say they are not painful to take.

So many lost planes and pilots.

They keep on coming!

74 losses! Where were my fighters?

Just for your information.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
How can 350,000 men and a thousand guns have an AFV of 0?