Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Philthy posted:

No one in the movie were supposed to be the "main characters". It was a suicide movie that we knew very little about almost 40 years ago. There is no character building beyond hey im dude who shoots things, and im mr robot. There isn't another trilogy being made of this. It's not like TFA where Rey and the rest will be around for another few movies where they need to build on them.

It was a throw away movie that explains the crew that died to get the plans to the Rebels. It did that job and more exceedingly well.

You don't need a trilogy of films to make interesting characters, not even in a heist movie format with a lot of characters. Like I know we're in the era of cinematic universes but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Liked, but didn't love. I also thought the cameos were a little too gratuitous though for me it was more Gold & Red Leader. I also agree that having the Tantive IV be at the battle felt off. The KOTOR hammerhead was a nice touch.

I would love a toy of that swing-wing shuttle/attack plane thing the Rebels were tooling around in.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

And the oscar for best actor goes to CGI Peter Cushing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Liked, but didn't love. I also thought the cameos were a little too gratuitous though for me it was more Gold & Red Leader. I also agree that having the Tantive IV be at the battle felt off. The KOTOR hammerhead was a nice touch.

I would love a toy of that swing-wing shuttle/attack plane thing the Rebels were tooling around in.

By far the most distracting cameo to me was the dude from the catina and his pal. At least the Leaders had logical reasons to be there. I guess cantina dude just happened to get offplanet just before it exploded and just beat Leia to Tattooine in time to get Obi-Wan'd.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I really liked it. I don't like star wars and someone paid for my ticket, but it was quite enjoyable.

The robot was fun.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

ImpAtom posted:

By far the most distracting cameo to me was the dude from the catina and his pal. At least the Leaders had logical reasons to be there. I guess cantina dude just happened to get offplanet just before it exploded and just beat Leia to Tattooine in time to get Obi-Wan'd.

Hey you don't get the death sentence on twelve systems by hanging around in one place.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Oh christ, yeah, i completely forgot about that one.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

What a weird-rear end film this was.

As a stand-alone film it's kind of a disaster. It's full of paper-thin characters with ill-defined motivations who sort of wander from place to place until explosions happen. Nobody really has any reason for doing anything beyond vague platitudes.

My thought was honestly that this film exists almost soley to watch in between Episode 3 and Episode 4 to help set the tone change between those films and 'create a connection' to events and lightly sandpaper over some theoretical plot holes.It's certainly not very good as a stand-alone film except in the terms of having some good dogfighting scenes and fanservice.

Edit:

Also Jin was a goddamn boring protagonist who literally never does anything in the film after the opening but stand around and be rescued by other people and maybe some vague acrobatics? Why even spend the time defining her as a super-talented soldier if she literally never fights once in the entire climax.

I thought it functioned fine as a stand alone. The characters motivations could not have been clearer and there is a very simple and obvious plotline which connects the explosions happening. Also it's a companion piece to a New Hope, not a bridge between 3 and 4.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Philthy posted:

No one in the movie were supposed to be the "main characters".

It was a throw away movie

I agree.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
So glad to finally have a definitively good Star Wars prequel.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The first act is good, the second act underperforms and leads to some of the characterisation problems that I feel like people are having. The third act is probably the best third act in all of Star Wars. It hits it out the bloody park. The CGI didn't jarr me nearly as much as it has other people. I honest to god thought they'd recast Tarkin after the first scene where he appears.

I came out thinking that Rogue One was better than Empire. After processing for a bit, it's not that good but to me stands next to New Hope and above TFA and Jedi.

The third act is freaking amazing, it stands up to Empire's and RotJ's third acts easily and in terms of pure action easily surpasses anything else we've seen so far, Empire and RotJ can only hang because you have big character moments for people you've already become invested in through a past movie, or movies. The ending in particular really stepped up to the plate, and I think it benefits greatly from being able to work alongside the existing Star Wars movies (rather than continuing the mainline saga) and deliver repeated big "Wow" moments in rapid succession and not follow a previous trend in Star Wars of "big things happen, then we hang out with the characters for awhile and see how they respond." We don't get medals handed out, Luke being rescued and getting a new hand, or a party with Ewoks, it just carries its momentum through the last 5 or 10 minutes in a really impressive way, and you can easily argue that same momentum is present through the entire third act. I can't think of a movie I've ever seen that combined a climax and denouement quite like this, at least not off the top of my head

I didn't feel like the second act was particularly poorly paced or that Jyn's response to what goes down in it was a bad call. To me Jyn is in shock, just like Cassion claims, and it causes her to react very strongly to the idea that he was going to kill her father, even though he didn't pull the trigger. She works with the rebels after that because the shock wears off, she doesn't want her father to die for nothing, or the Death Star is too great a threat for her to "not look up at" like she said she'd just not look up at Imperial flags everywhere to Saw, you can take your pick of what her exact motivation is then but she has some plausible reasons. I certainly agree that change of heart could have been handled better, but I wasn't bothered by it in the moment and it still doesn't really bother me now.

I definitely agree about the CGI, but that's entirely subjective. For what it's worth my Dad couldn't tell at all that they'd CGIi'd up Tarkin, he just thought they'd cast the same guy somehow (don't ask me how he reached that conclusion, I have no idea). I could tell it was CGI but it didn't take away from the experience for me, I'm fine with them doing this sort of thing in any movie with a previously existing character whose actor isn't available if it's done this well.

Vader was used just the right amount in my view, and you got to see both of the best sides of the character in separate scenes.

Yawgmoft posted:

Was having the Tantive IV barrel roll out of the other ship really necessary? Darth Vader literally watched them line pass the plans into the ship and then later he says "we know you intercepted a transmission" while everyone else plays dumb. It doesn't make much sense. Why not just be like "we've been boarded quick transmit them to any other rebel ship in range" and then it just happens to be Leia's ship and Vader sees the log? I mean isn't Leia's whole bit that she's secretly helping the Rebellion while playing Senator? Why is she at a battle?

Here's my view on this: If you wanted to match the circumstances of New Hope perfectly you could, but I think it would have been to the disservice off the story. In my view the only problem is why she's at the battle, but that can be justified by her being a very trusted Rebel agent and potentially having some protection as a member of Alderaan royalty and daughter of a Galactic senator. She also has the "in" with the last Jedi the rebels know of, so if I had to pick someone to hold onto those plans you could certainly do worse. The "transmission" intercepted is the transmission from the Imperial base, and he knows they have it because he saw that line pass. The files themselves are a big fat download, they only get sent to the Rebel ship because they're using a giant satellite dish that is built for it, I totally buy that you don't have the transmission bandwidth to spam it out to every ship in the fleet, particularly in the middle of a battle.

Ultimately though it all goes down how it does because it's fanservice of the highest order, if you're any kind of dedicated Star Wars fan you're going to get a huge grin when the Tantive IV rolls out, you see the interior, Leia pops in, etc.

Despite my gushing I wouldn't call it a perfect movie, the characters could be better fleshed out and I don't think anyone reaches the acting pinnacle of Harrison Ford, heck I don't think anyone quite gets to Daisy Ridley's, but Tudyk comes close and certainly has a lock on best Star Wars CG character/performance for me right now. That just means that the cast is hovering at "good" though, which is plenty for me.

Like Force Awakens, this is a Star Wars movie that can hang in there with the top films of the franchise and at least be in the discussion. I also like that so far, despite plenty of fanservice and callbacks in the new films, they've explored some new ground. We've had Kylo tempted by the light, and now we have a much more fleshed out view of what the Rebellion was and what it had to do to try to take down the Empire. Sign me up for a Star Wars movie roughly once a year if they can keep up this level of quality.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 16, 2016

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I loved Vader's Fortress of Solitude, didn't love Walrus Man.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hello Towel posted:

I also didn't particularly enjoy the way the story changes the Death Star flaw from something overlooked to something purposeful.

It's both, really It goes overlooked by the Imperial Military proper because Galen successfully pulled off a decade+ long con. Had he not successfully sold the fact that he was on board with building a planet buster, the whole thing wouldn't have worked

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Here's my view on this: If you wanted to match the circumstances of New Hope perfectly you could, but I think it would have been to the disservice off the story. In my view the only problem is why she's at the battle, but that can be justified by her being a very trusted Rebel agent and potentially having some protection as a member of Alderaan royalty and daughter of a Galactic senator.

But at the same time, wasn't Leia supposed to be on her way to Tatooine to pick up Obi-Wan? It's a little weird that she's then chilling in the docking bay of the Rebel flagship. You're right that given the bandwidth plot point it makes sense that they would have to physically hand the plans to her, but it still felt a little weird.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

God drat this movie got cut off at the loving knees in the reshoots, holy poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If he wanted to design in a flaw, why not just make it a flaw that would blow it up when you turn it on?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I would have thought this was the most amazing thing ever when I was a teenager and loved Star Wars more than anything, because holy poo poo did they cram in an unnecessarily huge amounts of references to the original movies. It reminded me of reading a Star Wars EU novel and just got gratuitous by the end. Yavin IV had about a dozen shots completely recreated from the original (hey remember that dude in the sentry tower looking at the ships flying away?), every ground vehicle or spaceship from the originals rears its head, the space battles have the X-Wings getting blown up similarly to how they blow up in the death star run except they're flying around the donut space station from Episode 1 now, while multiple pilots from the original are just copy/pasted in with terrifying CGI magic. If you remember the originals in detail you immediately know which pilots are going to die and who will survive based on how they look and what color squadron they're in. There's the weird rainy planet from episode II for an action scene, a moisture farm with blue milk to start the story in, the interior of the death star to have a dangling shoot out from, and the bottom of Cloud City to slip up through.

Do people actually enjoy this? Why couldn't they tell a fun story without having to cram in an entire trilogy of visual references, character cameos and flying scenes? It felt like they were moving down a checklist for big chunks of the plot (okay we need Tarkin to stand around ominously, and then Leia's dad talking about Alderaan, and then the droids are there, and then they're on the correllian corvette, where they have the same shootout from the original etc.). When they actually let their new characters just be they were quite enjoyable and the ending was poignant. The two monks and the droid were a blast to be around. If only the writers weren't trying to reference every loving Star Wars thing they could think of every minute it could have been a really good movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

God drat this movie got cut off at the loving knees in the reshoots, holy poo poo.

I am hearing that Jin was apparently a wildly different character early on and that would make a shitload of sense. (Is here "we're rebels, we rebel" line even in the film despite being a centerpiece of almost all the trailers?) She really feels like someone decided to cut three different versions of a character together.

Arglebargle III posted:

If he wanted to design in a flaw, why not just make it a flaw that would blow it up when you turn it on?

I'm guessing that "this is about to explode, shut it down" is a lot easier to notice than "there is a single unshielded exhaust port that happens to lead directly to the reactor, but only an insanely skilled bullseye shot after a trench run can blow it up."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arglebargle III posted:

Too obvious, and would never pass scrutiny. You can pass off an exhaust port that's bigger than it, strictly speaking, needs to be a lot easier than you can a literal killswitch like that

Subvisual Haze posted:

There's the weird rainy planet from episode II for an action scene

That wasn't Kamino.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm guessing that "this is about to explode, shut it down" is a lot easier to notice than "there is a single unshielded exhaust port that happens to lead directly to the reactor, but only an insanely skilled bullseye shot after a trench run can blow it up."

Counterpoint: my plan would actually work.

Unlike the actors in this film after today.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I have to admit it. This is the forth best Star Wars prequel.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Arglebargle III posted:

Counterpoint: my plan would actually work.

Unlike the actors in this film after today.

This trolling might work if you didn't already admit to not seeing the film.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

jivjov posted:

That wasn't Kamino.

Our hero in a soaked robe/poncho approaching a landing pad and then blasters firing everywhere?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Subvisual Haze posted:

Our hero in a soaked robe/poncho approaching a landing pad and then blasters firing everywhere?

Kamino is not the only planet where it rains.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

In the end I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if so much useless space in my brain wasn't saturated with Star Wars trivia. As it was it was a near constant barrage of CGI faces I've seen before interacting in recreated settings and going through familiar action scenes to set up future plot elements I've seen before. I was feeling like an offmeds schizophrenic by the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

In the end I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if so much useless space in my brain wasn't saturated with Star Wars trivia. As it was it was a near constant barrage of CGI faces I've seen before interacting in recreated settings and going through familiar action scenes to set up future plot elements I've seen before. I was feeling like an offmeds schizophrenic by the end.

I do wonder if lack of Star Wars knowledge might help here. So much of the film is dedicated to "hey, you remember when...?" stuff that maybe I'd have gotten more into things if I wasn't going "Oh, this is (X!)"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I was surprised they didn't name the planet Vader was chilling on

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I do wonder if lack of Star Wars knowledge might help here. So much of the film is dedicated to "hey, you remember when...?" stuff that maybe I'd have gotten more into things if I wasn't going "Oh, this is (X!)"

Right? Like as soon as I heard a pilot called "Red 5" I knew precisely what was going to happen 10 second later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

Right? Like as soon as I heard a pilot called "Red 5" I knew precisely what was going to happen 10 second later.

Yeah, I had the exact same experience. So rather than going "Oh no, he's in danger" it was "Oh, they're explaining why Luke was replacing this guy." I suppose if you're the kind of person who gets super excited when they mention the Darksaber project then it probably was more of a plus than a minus.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I liked it a lot, especially the effects.

Except the very very ending. Agree with someone earlier about Leia being at the battle makes the beginning of IV dumb. First, she didn't intercept the plans like Vader tells her she did. Second, at the beginning of IV she says "I don't know what you're talking about." Now the only thing I'll think is that Vader's should be saying "Bitch, I was there! I saw you!"

I did love how much it fleshed out the Star Wars universe. Made it feel more full and real. I got the same feelings I did when I was a kid and first discovered that there were books about things that happened outside the movies. The thing that made Star Wars fun as a kid was how limitless it felt. This movie captured that feeling.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 16, 2016

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

howe_sam posted:

That was Mordor idiot. You didn't see Saurons tower?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

howe_sam posted:

Pablo Hidalgo insinuated on Twitter that it was Mustafar; but this was pre-release, so it was a really vague Question and Answer

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

howe_sam posted:

But at the same time, wasn't Leia supposed to be on her way to Tatooine to pick up Obi-Wan? It's a little weird that she's then chilling in the docking bay of the Rebel flagship. You're right that given the bandwidth plot point it makes sense that they would have to physically hand the plans to her, but it still felt a little weird.

Hmm, that's a fair point. The simplest explanation is that obtaining the Death Star plans, or at least being present for that operation, became the higher priority. Really that whole scene with Bail saying he's sending Leia to pick up Obi-Wan is just there as fanservice, it could have been taken out without really impacting what we know about any of the characters or their motivations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

jivjov posted:

Pablo Hidalgo insinuated on Twitter that it was Mustafar; but this was pre-release, so it was a really vague Question and Answer

I was hoping that a "Mustafar" caption would come up, give the fanatics reasons to ponder why Vader would build up his base there of all places.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Hmm, that's a fair point. The simplest explanation is that obtaining the Death Star plans, or at least being present for that operation, became the higher priority. Really that whole scene with Bail saying he's sending Leia to pick up Obi-Wan is just there as fanservice, it could have been taken out without really impacting what we know about any of the characters or their motivations.

Let's be honest Tantive IV and Leia being present at the battle is fan service as well

jivjov posted:

I figured it was either Mustafar or Ziost. I just thought it was weird that they didn't name the planet, given how they labeled every other freaking planet in the movie

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
As a font of useless Star Wars trivia, I really enjoyed all the callbacks for the most part. I got excited at the Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba cameo, but one of the best ones was definitely the blue milk. Overall, I liked the movie a lot. It was the Star Wars movie I always wanted ever since I watched the Battle of Hoth and Battle of Endor as a kid.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Why would he be on Mustafar?

Not a dig at anyone in particular, but why the gently caress would he want to spend time on Mustafar where he killed his wife? Would make more sense to me if he was somewhere else.

I did love that they made clear that he has sycophants who wait on him just like the Emperor. Again, this movie was best when it was fleshing things out. I never considered that Vader would chill in Bacta when he wasn't needed. To me it shows how much pain he's in all the time.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
People are upset that they showed stuff from the original trilogy that this directly ties into before they happen?

The entire movie is that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I really loved that movie and I really dislike goon movie discussions

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Atoramos posted:

This trolling might work if you didn't already admit to not seeing the film.

That was the past. This is the now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Yeah Star Wars is becoming a series of films about the 1979 series of films "Star Wars".

• Locked thread