Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Anyone listen to Homecoming yet? The first two episodes are interesting, but kind of slow. The cast is pretty impressive for a podcast, with David Schwimmer, David Cross, Catherine Keener and Amy Sedaris. It's probably the largest production that's ever been made in serialized fiction podcasts, so it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

military cervix posted:

Anyone listen to Homecoming yet? The first two episodes are interesting, but kind of slow. The cast is pretty impressive for a podcast, with David Schwimmer, David Cross, Catherine Keener and Amy Sedaris. It's probably the largest production that's ever been made in serialized fiction podcasts, so it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Added it after the times article. Will probably listen after I finish the once and future nerd. I have a feeling that's going to piss me off when it ends cuz it looks like 18 months of nothing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I just started listening to the magnus archives and it's drat good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Starting Welcome to Night Vale...what the gently caress am I listening to? This sounds like somebody's bad acid trip. I'm intrigued though.

If only my Acid trips were as good as this podcast.

Also I listened to "The Orbiting Human Circus of the air" and was not really interested. However, Alice is Dead is super interesting (because it has dana as the main character)

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 26, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Within the Wires was really loving good, although the relaxation tape device was making me legitimately fall asleep. I have no idea what they can do for a season 2 and not feel kinda hacky, though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Terrible Opinions posted:

I just started listening to the magnus archives and it's drat good.

Since you're another new listener - do you have weird sound issues with that one? Like, do you find that you have to turn it up much louder than other podcasts to hear it properly?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It has this weird problem with the sound wildly varying between episodes with some being very quiet and some being normal audio. It's not like say the History of Byzantium which is just really quiet all the time.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I recently found Mabel: "A podcast about ghosts, family secrets, strange houses, and missed connections."

It's mostly in the form of voicemails left to 'Mabel' by her grandmother's caregiver. It can be disjointed and stream-of-consciousness, but not in a bad way. It builds a nice atmosphere.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Slamhound posted:

I recently found Mabel: "A podcast about ghosts, family secrets, strange houses, and missed connections."

It's mostly in the form of voicemails left to 'Mabel' by her grandmother's caregiver. It can be disjointed and stream-of-consciousness, but not in a bad way. It builds a nice atmosphere.

I recently binged the entire first season of Mabel and while I have no idea what actually happened, it was really great. It also has transcripts on the web site which is a rare and nice touch.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just binged Limetown yesterday and today :stare:. I can't imagine having listened to it when it came out due to the breaks in between episodes, and the fact that the next season's still not out!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Mr E posted:

Just binged Limetown yesterday and today :stare:. I can't imagine having listened to it when it came out due to the breaks in between episodes, and the fact that the next season's still not out!

I listened to the most recent Bright Sessions episode, and the AM's experiments are pretty similar to what went on in Limetown. I suggested to Lauren Shippen that someone should write a crossover.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I listened to the most recent Bright Sessions episode, and the AM's experiments are pretty similar to what went on in Limetown. I suggested to Lauren Shippen that someone should write a crossover.

Bright Sessions / Ars Paradoxia was the best thing ever and I hope they do more of it. Or at least acknowledge it on AP.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Bright Sessions / Ars Paradoxia was the best thing ever and I hope they do more of it. Or at least acknowledge it on AP.

Pretty sure the crossover is non-canonical. It was a just for fun thing and a way of promoting each other, but I don't think it has any consequences in either story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been listening to Wooden Overcoats and I dig it. It reminds me of things like Black Books or Father Ted just a cheesy British sitcom.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Pretty sure the crossover is non-canonical. It was a just for fun thing and a way of promoting each other, but I don't think it has any consequences in either story.

I know. But I can still wish.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Meinberg posted:

I recently binged the entire first season of Mabel and while I have no idea what actually happened, it was really great. It also has transcripts on the web site which is a rare and nice touch.

Yeah I went through season 1 Friday at work and I'm not really sure what happened.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

I've been listening to Wooden Overcoats and I dig it. It reminds me of things like Black Books or Father Ted just a cheesy British sitcom.

I loved the first season of WO, but I'm starting to have a problem with it. Basically, in season one, Rudyard was thoroughly unlikable. He was constantly trying to cheat customers and take shortcuts, so it was satisfying to see his plans fail and him get humiliated as Chapman effortlessly showed him up. By now, though, it's gotten to the point where he loses even when he tries to do the right thing and he has no chance against the supernaturally skilled Chapman. Rudyard has become the pitiful underdog, and I'm starting to wish for him to win once in a while. It's not nearly as fun to watch someone in a failing business continue to fail.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Len posted:

Yeah I went through season 1 Friday at work and I'm not really sure what happened.

Yeah, I'm about halfway through and I'm really digging it. On the other hand, at the start of every episode, all I can think is "All Glory the Hypnotoad."

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Definitely getting Black Mirror vibes from LifeAfter, specifically the episode Be Right Back

At least from the first episode

Yeah, that's what I thought of too. At first I was worried it would just be a rip-off of that episode, but they're doing some other things with the plot that make it enjoyable on its own.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
In case people weren't aware Season 2 of Magnus Archives has started.

Also according to the Q&A the main writer has already written the end, which is planned on being resolved in Season 5.

It also takes him about 5 to 6 hours to write a first draft of a story. That's pretty drat good.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 7, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wolf 359 gettin' tense. Gonna be interesting to see where season 4 goes.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I loved the first season of WO, but I'm starting to have a problem with it. Basically, in season one, Rudyard was thoroughly unlikable. He was constantly trying to cheat customers and take shortcuts, so it was satisfying to see his plans fail and him get humiliated as Chapman effortlessly showed him up. By now, though, it's gotten to the point where he loses even when he tries to do the right thing and he has no chance against the supernaturally skilled Chapman. Rudyard has become the pitiful underdog, and I'm starting to wish for him to win once in a while. It's not nearly as fun to watch someone in a failing business continue to fail.

I read that including the spoilers before starting the show and I'm not done with S2 but I really don't see that yet. The first few episodes of S2 were clearly same old Rudyard. Seance, Cheap funerals. Even later he's done in by his own cheapness same as always. (One bottle of wine for the entire club he worships.)

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

military cervix posted:

Quoting myself because this show is turning out really well, and is well worth your time. Worth listening to just for David Schwimmer being an unrelenting rear end in a top hat.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hughlander posted:

I know. But I can still wish.

You may have gotten your wish- the latest TBS episode is Sam-centric, and she describes a recent trip through time where she met someone in a dark room who could see her and talk to her.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

military cervix posted:

Worth listening to just for David Schwimmer being an unrelenting rear end in a top hat.

Sounds like an interesting new role for him that plays against type.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I checked out the podcast mentioned by the newest Bright Sessions, Alexandria Archives. It isn't terrible kind of a Nightvale knockoff that cuts to NoSleep style stories (only with less child abuse) possibly worth keeping an eye on.

Did season 2 of Small Town Horror get better? I dropped it because it wasn't really doing anything

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

For some reason I decided to re-listen to the early episodes of the Black Tapes again, and god drat that podcast was good before they tried to force any over-arching story into the whole thing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Today's Night Vale is :3:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Paul Zuvella posted:

For some reason I decided to re-listen to the early episodes of the Black Tapes again, and god drat that podcast was good before they tried to force any over-arching story into the whole thing.

Yea the first few episodes got me completely hooked.

Honestly I think it was that series that got me into fictional podcasts.

Sad that the quality fell so far off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It felt like they had a story in mind then decided to fluff it up

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

It seemed to me at the beginning that Black Tapes was going to be a purely episodic series that used fictional settings to explore how different people deal with unexplained phenomena. I thought the only overarching plot would be "what happened to Strand's wife?" I was hoping we'd never get explicit proof of anything supernatural, but it seems like that's where they're going. I got excited when stuff started tying together at first, but then nearly all of season two felt like stalling. It overrelies on the classic trope of "when you're stuck, add a new element to the conspiracy" without ever resolving anything. This show is basically The X-Files in both good and bad ways.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Best part of black tapes was always the music.

Also to whoever complained about wooden overcoats does the s2 finale work for you?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hughlander posted:

I read that including the spoilers before starting the show and I'm not done with S2 but I really don't see that yet. The first few episodes of S2 were clearly same old Rudyard. Seance, Cheap funerals. Even later he's done in by his own cheapness same as always. (One bottle of wine for the entire club he worships.)

I see what you mean, but it's less the specifics then the whole dynamic changing. After a while, I want Rudyard to win every now and then, or else I start to feel sorry for him (and especially for Antigone). For one, how is he still in business at all if no one wants his services? For that matter, how do so many people die in this tiny village (though they are very nearly a town)? And the cheap funerals wasn't unethical, it was an attempt to tap a new market. He was wrong about what people wanted, but he was trying to serve customers.

Hughlander posted:

Best part of black tapes was always the music.

Also to whoever complained about wooden overcoats does the s2 finale work for you?

Haven't listened to it yet, but I liked the set-up in the previous episode.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I liked the character development in the Wooden Overcoats S2 finale, but I wish the episodes hadn't been released so quickly for an 8-ep season. It feels like another couple of episodes could have gone somewhere really interesting.. I guess that means I'm hooked for season 3!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Gonna second that recommendation for Homecoming. It's very, very good.

Vonnegut Asterisk
Apr 14, 2007

Brandon, you put Pat White down this instant young man!
Anyone else listen to the most recent King Falls AM? Those dudes got some pipes.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

Anyone else listen to the most recent King Falls AM? Those dudes got some pipes.

King falls used to be such a must listen show but the notebook bullshit really ate up the good will.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
GE Podcast Theater is burning off episodes of Lif-e.af/ter, one a day all this week. It's the first time I've witnessed a network demonstrating this behavior, which is normally reserved for jettisoning awful shows as quick as possible.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

It's very hard to understand anything about GE Podcast Theatre. Both The Message and Life.after were about a strange new technology that just kills a bunch of people. Oh, and by the way, look at this very similar technology GE is developing.

Who is being advertised to?

Life./after also makes a really strong argument for significant paid time off for bereavement. I can't imagine GE actually wants to provide that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah it's weird. But then again 30 Rock also showed GE in a mostly negative light so maybe they understand they're a megacorp that can do whatever they want and are rolling with it

• Locked thread