Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if ronan could detect the sentry, why did he assault a diner? i suspect that the questions were an excuse for him to get his grub on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
The Universal Weapon cares not for your 'perspective'!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ronan, dude, I'm pretty sure that lets you fly

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Ronan, dude, I'm pretty sure that lets you fly

Ronan is not yet used to Earth's humidity, his hammer has fogged up on him!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if ronan could detect the sentry, why did he assault a diner? i suspect that the questions were an excuse for him to get his grub on.

I guess he was just testing them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Look man he's Ronan the Accusor he's gotta get his accusing on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ikasuhito posted:

So I guess Pete missed the part where Ronan was yelling about finding the Sentry.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

i love how passive-aggressive peter is

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
regular spider-man may not necessarily remember about kree sentries, much less the newspaper version.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Delicious golden flaky crust...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i love how passive-aggressive peter is

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's perfect

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I hope every day of this storyline gives us an opportunity to shop in the "gently caress off, Pete" look from MJ :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This comic is beautiful and so are all the edits. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Today's
Special
Chili!

Stan Lee
Larry Leiber
$12.16

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think the ironic Puny Parker gag works when you clearly draw him with such well defined muscles.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sarge is literally staring in awe at Peter's biceps.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

So did Peter just completely forget about the whole secret identity thing as soon as they left New York?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

only one that saw him was the space alien but yea, he sure was quick to go "HEY LOOK AT MY SPIDER THEMED POWERS"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Peter's,"Seriously?" face is amazing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

WickedHate posted:

I don't think the ironic Puny Parker gag works when you clearly draw him with such well defined muscles.
I now want to see a superhero who can throw cars and wrestle bears but has the build of, say, post-liver transplant Steve Jobs. Who needs muscle mass when you've got frickin' super-strength?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I don't know much about muscles, but my instant thought is; wouldn't that cause issues? Tearing or something? Yeah, you've got the strength, but if the actual muscle and skin and bone and such can't take the force, it'll snap and tear and break up? Like...I don't know, a weapon swung so hard it breaks on impact?

Am I being dumb?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, if you have a magic power that makes you incredibly strong despite having no muscle tone, it's not a stretch to say that same magic power protects you from snapping yourself in half when you lift something. Even "traditionally" super strong heroes have to be subjected to this same suspension of disbelief, they'd be similarly physically improbable due to the fact that you can't just "scale up" natural bodies and expect them to still work consistently.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As touched on in Squirrel Girl:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, when Superman lifts an ocean liner, scientifically speaking all his incredible strength would mean is that his hands puncture the hull. Even if you have enough strength to lift something huge, you also need a sufficient distribution of pressure over a surface area relative to the size of the object, or you'd just punch straight through it (unless it was made of a material hard enough to distribute the massive amount of force applied rather than buckling or being pierced by it). In general trying to explain superpowers through science is a bit of a mug's game.

e: not that that means it's not fun, especially when Squirrel Girl does it, because it totally is!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's a teke.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Android Blues posted:

Like, when Superman lifts an ocean liner, scientifically speaking all his incredible strength would mean is that his hands puncture the hull. Even if you have enough strength to lift something huge, you also need a sufficient distribution of pressure over a surface area relative to the size of the object, or you'd just punch straight through it (unless it was made of a material hard enough to distribute the massive amount of force applied rather than buckling or being pierced by it). In general trying to explain superpowers through science is a bit of a mug's game.

e: not that that means it's not fun, especially when Squirrel Girl does it, because it totally is!

Something something tactile telekinesis.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Payndz posted:

I now want to see a superhero who can throw cars and wrestle bears but has the build of, say, post-liver transplant Steve Jobs. Who needs muscle mass when you've got frickin' super-strength?

This was literally early spider-man, iirc, who was still a scrawny little manlet even when he could bench a car

Bloodly posted:

I don't know much about muscles, but my instant thought is; wouldn't that cause issues? Tearing or something? Yeah, you've got the strength, but if the actual muscle and skin and bone and such can't take the force, it'll snap and tear and break up? Like...I don't know, a weapon swung so hard it breaks on impact?

Am I being dumb?

At the risk of bringing up anime, this is basically a huge part of My Hero Academia, where the main character is a shrimp 14 year old who's given the strength of essentially Golden Age Superman but can't physically handle it, and the first time he punches something he breaks literally every bone in his body from the sheer amount of forces involved.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, your bones and skin are pretty strong, but they're not strong enough to handle super muscles, hell, they're barely strong enough to handle your regular muscles. Athletes tear tendons, break bones, and rip skin all the time if they mess up their form or slip and fall at speed. To be super-strong you'd also need super-durability, realistically, or your body would tear itself apart whenever you went all out.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

God bless Wolverine, the only realistic superhero.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I remember seeing an entirely :nms: Youtube video of two super buff guys arm-wrestling, and one of them ending up with a snapped arm simply from the forces involved.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Mikl posted:

I remember seeing an entirely :nms: Youtube video of two super buff guys arm-wrestling, and one of them ending up with a snapped arm simply from the forces involved.

I know that happened in the Jeff Goldblum version of 'The Fly'; were you thinking of that, or something in real life?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I remember seeing Over The Top.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Here's an instructional video about bone breaking without any gross dudes spraying blood all over the place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LSB4StMu5c

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I also now want to see a flying superhero have to deal with wind chill, being blinded by airborne dust particles and having their clothes torn off by the slipstream every time they go any faster than a Piper Cub.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, your bones and skin are pretty strong, but they're not strong enough to handle super muscles, hell, they're barely strong enough to handle your regular muscles. Athletes tear tendons, break bones, and rip skin all the time if they mess up their form or slip and fall at speed. To be super-strong you'd also need super-durability, realistically, or your body would tear itself apart whenever you went all out.

I believe there was a guy in Wild Cards where they expressly handled this issue. He had to drink stuff with exotic heavy metal salts and stuff in it to keep his bones in working order and he weighed a lot more than a normal person of his size.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Payndz posted:

That's actually one of the things I like about Supergirl (the tv show). She's fit, but not all muscle-y, and why not? She's Kryptonian. Then when they cast Superman for season 2, they picked a guy smaller than Jimmy fuckin' Olsen, because again, why not? He gets his power from the sun, not leg day.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

That's actually one of the things I like about Supergirl (the tv show). She's fit, but not all muscle-y, and why not? She's Kryptonian. Then when they cast Superman for season 2, they picked a guy smaller than Jimmy fuckin' Olsen, because again, why not? He gets his power from the sun, not leg day.
Even at his buffest in the comics Superman still isn't that muscled, just in good trim, especially compared to how strong he is. Which actually makes sense -- if you're Superman and you have to lift something like a mountain range before you start putting in more effort than normal, how are you gonna bulk up, exactly? Do reps with the Moon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Even at his buffest in the comics Superman still isn't that muscled, just in good trim, especially compared to how strong he is. Which actually makes sense -- if you're Superman and you have to lift something like a mountain range before you start putting in more effort than normal, how are you gonna bulk up, exactly? Do reps with the Moon?

There was that run I vaguely remember, right after he was "resurrected" and had the mullet, where he was all swole from storing too much solar energy or something. I think it was right before 'lectric Superman.

• Locked thread