Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Kvlt! posted:

Is it still worth watching if you know the deal with the monster and have read a lot about it? I feel like I've heard so much about it that it has kinda lost its appeal to me, but I'm definitely open to still watching it if it's still worth it.

It's incredibly good, not watching it is just hurting you, my man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i dunno i thought if follows sucked i dont think its really a rare opinion outside of this thread

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I think ObamaPhone also hated it so you've got company in the thread too

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I appreciate that It Follows is rated R and not neutered.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'm mostly indifferent towards it (follows)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think if it was trashier & PG 13 it'd be better, but then that's basically just Myth of The American Sleepover. Which was better, so what i'm saying is - I'm right

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I'm mostly indifferent towards it (follows)

I'm about here with it. I liked it, it looked fantastic and had a couple of solid scares but it just didn't grab me the way it did other people.

Nothing but love for them though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

i dunno i thought if follows sucked i dont think its really a rare opinion outside of this thread

I think the critics mostly loved it, I know it shows up on every one of those "top 10 horror movies of the year" lists.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lurdiak posted:

He's going to be really confused.

David Mitchell, David Mitchell and David R. Mitchell should do a podcast together. I think it would be genuinely interesting.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It Follows ruled. It's like if John Carpenter and David Cronenberg had gotten merged by a teleporter accident and then directed A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's a good film and finally something kind of unique on the whole supernatural possession thing.I'd rather watch a lovely original concept than something that's been done over and over again.

edit:

Dead Ringers is on Shudder along with another title I had not heard of called Shrew's Nest.

Oh and Black Christmas.

Woah

Shrew's Nest

Looks intense!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSCO95qb4Ss

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 16, 2016

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.
I saw It Follows on a first date, pretty much the best way to see it.

I'd like to see a sequel that explores the limitations of the creature, like how hard will it work to follow someone? What if it attacks someone in public where a bunch of people can see? What if someone shoots it with paintballs so it's no longer invisible?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Neumonic posted:

I saw It Follows on a first date, pretty much the best way to see it.

I'd like to see a sequel that explores the limitations of the creature, like how hard will it work to follow someone? What if it attacks someone in public where a bunch of people can see? What if someone shoots it with paintballs so it's no longer invisible?

When has a sequel explaining more about a monster ever made it more scary? I'm genuinely interested.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Edit: It Follows question: Did Jay have a foursome/gangbang on the boat? I submit that she did.

I think that she had sex with at least one of the guys on the boat. She definitely swims out to it with that in mind, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for her to change he mind off-screen for an unknown reason. Finally, Swimming pools essentially represent purity and innocence in the film, and immediately after she swims out to the boat, it cuts back to her at home and her backyard pool is destroyed. She is later baptized in the big pool at the end confronting the problem and is born again.

edit: Explaining the "creature" from It Follows is literally the dumbest thing they could do. A sequel or prequel that explore another aspect of the psychological nature of it could be good.

Like, a movie about a prostitute, who is having sex with people for a very different reason than any of the characters in It Follows, could be interesting.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 16, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Irony.or.Death posted:

I think ObamaPhone also hated it so you've got company in the thread too

Lmao what happened to that dude I miss his terrible opinions

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Snak posted:

Like, a movie about a prostitute, who is having sex with people for a very different reason than any of the characters in It Follows, could be interesting.

That's an amazing premise.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If they make It Follows: Part II It Takes Manhattan I hope the first scene is someone on an airplane being really smug about escaping It only for It ot have been aboard the whole time and brutally murdering them. Either that or someone who left the country to escape It being on a beach somewhere and It just walks out of the water having calmly strolled all the way from the USA to gently caress him to death and then walking back.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tolkien minority posted:

Lmao what happened to that dude I miss his terrible opinions

The thread got renamed & balance was restored

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

married but discreet posted:

That's an amazing premise.

Have a scene where she works/attends one of those swinger clubs and It just goes loving hogwild.

FreudianSlippers posted:

If they make It Follows: Part II It Takes Manhattan I hope the first scene is someone on an airplane being really smug about escaping It only for It ot have been aboard the whole time and brutally murdering them. Either that or someone who left the country to escape It being on a beach somewhere and It just walks out of the water having calmly strolled all the way from the USA to gently caress him to death and then walking back.

I liked that the creature was shown as singleminded in purpose but not completely mindless, like if someone took an international flight It would just stow away in the cargo bay or sneak onto the next flight, if they got onto a boat maybe It would walk out and climb the anchor line before departure, etc. Tactical Sperg who wrote to Variety was sperging in the wrong direction, this is like Death in Final Destination but in humanoid form.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 16, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Have a scene where she works/attends one of those swinger clubs and It just goes loving hogwild.

I liked that the creature was shown as singleminded in purpose but not completely mindless, like if someone took an international flight It would just stow away in the cargo bay or sneak onto the next flight, if they got onto a boat maybe It would walk out and climb the anchor line before departure, etc. Tactical Sperg who wrote to Variety was sperging in the wrong direction, this is like Death in Final Destination but in humanoid form.

It's explicitly in creepy stalker form. It doesn't just want to kill you, it wants to gently caress you to death. To get more gently caress energy, to gently caress more people to death. And, thematically, it passes on to new people because it gets distracted by the new, hot, obsession. Like, it's the manifestation of infidelity. It is every negetive associated with sex.

I guess if you wanted to go really nuts with the sequel and bend genres, you could introduce another being which is the positives of emotionally healthy sex. The first being's immortal enemy. Like maybe if you actually get in a healthy loving relationship, the second one shows up loving fights the first one. It's just that the second being is basically a recluse that's very lonely and has a very small place in the world. And like the first being, it has to physically travel, so even if you get into a healthy relationship, the benefits might not show up in time to stop your baggage from destroying it.

Or like, yeah, they could just make some boring movie about the tactically realism of the sex-stalking demon and "where it came from" :barf:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOAVRhfjaLo/

For those of you out there who like Krampus and enamel pins

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ever since seeing this gag on twitter I can only think of the It Follows sequel as It Follows Back.

I know this is from a page back, but I came up with the premise.

It posted:

Forward this to ur hottest daddy in 5 min or im gonna kill you P.S. im a demon boo.

For real though, I would actually kinda love it if for the second film they went bonkers with the premise and turned the thing into a goofy comedy. Like as if the sequel to Rambo was Hot Shots Part 2.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Just aping what a lot of others in the thread have said before, but god drat the original Black Christmas is a mean fucker of a movie. I just rewatched it on the new blu and despite numerous viewings, it's still really genuinely frightening. Also throws in some underrated comedy beats that actually work.

Plus Olivia Hussey :love:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Glamorama26 posted:

Just aping what a lot of others in the thread have said before, but god drat the original Black Christmas is a mean fucker of a movie. I just rewatched it on the new blu and despite numerous viewings, it's still really genuinely frightening. Also throws in some underrated comedy beats that actually work.

I always find this amusing

quote:

Olivia Hussey told Bravo during an interview about their 100 Scariest Movie Moments series, that when she met Steve Martin for the first time, he told her she starred in his favorite movie of all time. Hussey initially thought he was referring to Romeo and Juliet but was surprised when Martin said it was Black Christmas and that he had seen the film 27 times.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Glamorama26 posted:

It's one of my favourite horror films for sure. I love that ending!

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

married but discreet posted:

When has a sequel explaining more about a monster ever made it more scary? I'm genuinely interested.

Aliens and Hellraiser come to mind, it has to be an escalation of the concept to work right

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's a lot of sequels that qualify for making the first film even better or more nuanced. Warlock 2 for example.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Love the Steve Martin Black Christmas story. According to probably bullshit trivia, Elvis also loved it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If you live in LA, the New Beverly's doing a triple creature of Black Christmas, the Black Christmas remake, and Silent Night Deadly Night.

Really wish I could catch those but I'm flying back to Chicago tomorrow. They're doing Kubrick all month too which I'm missing out on. What a Christmas lineup.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neumonic posted:

Aliens and Hellraiser come to mind, it has to be an escalation of the concept to work right

I too like Hellraiser III. Or Helllraiser, as I like to call it.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Might get some disagreement here, but I think TCM 2 was pretty much perfect in that it realized it couldn't out do the original at being scary or disturbing and just ran with it in a completely different over the top direction

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hollismason posted:

It's a good film and finally something kind of unique on the whole supernatural possession thing.I'd rather watch a lovely original concept than something that's been done over and over again.

edit:

Dead Ringers is on Shudder along with another title I had not heard of called Shrew's Nest.

Oh and Black Christmas.

Woah

Shrew's Nest

Looks intense!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSCO95qb4Ss

Is this like a spanish version of Misery then>? Or closer to Audition?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Ramadu posted:

Is this like a spanish version of Misery then>? Or closer to Audition?

Kind of a mix of both it seems. I plan on watchin it this weekend.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hollismason posted:

Kind of a mix of both it seems. I plan on watchin it this weekend.

Cool, let us know how it is. Audition is still one of the most disturbing and uncomfortable movie experiences I've ever seen. I watch a metric ton of horror and I like learning about new stuff I haven't heard of before from the thread though I'm still angry about Lake Mungo. But we're all allowed a few bad horror opinions right??

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll definitely post about it. I hate Lake Mungo as well. Yes, everyone in the thread has right to very bad opinions.

My bad opinion is that I think The Guest is just okay.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 16, 2016

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hollismason posted:

I'll definitely post about it. I hate Lake Mungo as well. Yes, everyone in the thread has right to very bad opinions.

It's not a race to the bottom, save some ammo.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Neumonic posted:

Both sort of ruin the monsters for me v:shobon:v

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I thought The Witch was decent, but not that great. I'll be rewatching it sometime soon just to give it another chance, sometimes movies don't click for me until I rewatch them.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Lake Mungo was very bad. The Guest was very good. These are my opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

XIII posted:

Lake Mungo was very bad. The Guest was very good. These are my opinions.