Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I'm not really sure why they delayed it, as far as I know all of the really high expectation Korean films for 2016 were already released earlier in the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Got my tickets for Friday night. Going way out of my way to avoid any reviews or spoilers. Though I'll see it again Saturday probably just to see what I missed - I remember in TFA I completely missed Yoda and Obi-Wan's voices in Rey's vision, which was a surprise going in a second time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Tarkin in the film? If so, is he CGI-ed back into existence, or did they use Wayne Pygram as a stand in again?
No information beyond that, please.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Tarkin in the film? If so, is he CGI-ed back into existence, or did they use Wayne Pygram as a stand in again?

Yes he is; I don't know anything past that though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Amazon's Kindle Deal of the Day includes a bunch of the new graphic novels if anyone is interested. It has the first volumes of Darth Vader, Star Wars, Kanan and the Lando, Shattered Empire, Princess Leia and Chewbacca books. They're $2.99 each.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yes he's in it. Not sure if it was Wayne Pygram under all the CGI, but there was definitely a lot of pretty dodgy face CGI.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They should just have Wayne Pygram play Scorpius and put him in the background in cantina scenes or Star Destroyer bridges or whatever. He'd fit right in. We even know what he'd drink!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

They should just have Wayne Pygram play Scorpius and put him in the background in cantina scenes or Star Destroyer bridges or whatever. He'd fit right in. We even know what he'd drink!

Nobody has margaritas with pizza!

Also, remember the amazing Tie Fighter anime short that guy made? Well, another guy thought the sound design wasn't that great so he redid it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDzB8AnXtEQ

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nobody has margaritas with pizza!

Also, remember the amazing Tie Fighter anime short that guy made? Well, another guy thought the sound design wasn't that great so he redid it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDzB8AnXtEQ

The redone sound is really well put together, but without music or dialogue the overall effect is creepy and unsettling. I like it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Amazon's Kindle Deal of the Day includes a bunch of the new graphic novels if anyone is interested. It has the first volumes of Darth Vader, Star Wars, Kanan and the Lando, Shattered Empire, Princess Leia and Chewbacca books. They're $2.99 each.

Thanks for this. I've heard good things about Chewbacca, Vader, Kanan, and Lando, but haven't read them, so might pick those up.

However, I can say from experience, skip Shattered Empire, Leia, and the plain Star Wars volumes.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
Just got back from a midnight screening. No spoilers, so I'll just say it's a great film, well worth the watch.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chairman Capone posted:

Thanks for this. I've heard good things about Chewbacca, Vader, Kanan, and Lando, but haven't read them, so might pick those up.
Vader is really fantastic.

quote:

However, I can say from experience, skip Shattered Empire, Leia, and the plain Star Wars volumes.
Actually the their is a nice little tie in between one issue of the plain volumes and Darth Vader.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not comics this time, but Steam game bundle. 23 bucks gets you a ton of games, including both KOTORs, Republic Commando, Battlefront II, and all the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/Jedi Academy games:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/66986/?snr=1_4_4__100

Edit: the bundle sale is valid until Monday, when it goes back up to being $160. Though I imagine the Steam Christmas sale will be happening not long after that.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
Pretty blown away by Rogue One. I guess I won't get into much detail until everyone has seen it, but like . . . as an EU fan for pretty much my whole life, this is something I've been waiting a very long time for and it delivers pretty spectacularly. It feels very much of a piece with the early EU stuff in that period, but manages to transcend its obsession with the OT (ironically) and with making the Rebels morally pure Good Guys. It's very familiar but the execution is pretty jaw-dropping, at least in places.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In comparison I have to say that I wasn't thrilled by Rogue One and am increasingly down on it the further I think about it. If all you want is pretty good dogfights between Rebels and Imperials then you get what you want. If you're looking for good characters or coherent motivations or a film that stands as anything but loosely expanding plot points from ANH then it's just not any good. In many ways it is worse at characterization and coherent plot themes than the prequel trilogy, though the action scenes far outstrip anything in the PT.

It is honestly saved entirely by the climactic action sequence being extremely well done... but it's an action sequence where the theoretical main cast barely contributes. You could just skip to the final battle and miss nothing of note in the entire film.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

In comparison I have to say that I wasn't thrilled by Rogue One and am increasingly down on it the further I think about it. If all you want is pretty good dogfights between Rebels and Imperials then you get what you want. If you're looking for good characters or coherent motivations or a film that stands as anything but loosely expanding plot points from ANH then it's just not any good. In many ways it is worse at characterization and coherent plot themes than the prequel trilogy, though the action scenes far outstrip anything in the PT.

It is honestly saved entirely by the climactic action sequence being extremely well done... but it's an action sequence where the theoretical main cast barely contributes. You could just skip to the final battle and miss nothing of note in the entire film.

i sorta of agree with this. I think it has alot of the character issues that the prequels had but it has lots of great poo poo(action/setpieces/some ok comedy/cameos/tonally consisted(enough at least)) that it works overall. they characters were definitely not fleshed out enough, but they wernt hate able and they worked well enough for what the story was going for and where the characters we headed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i sorta of agree with this. I think it has alot of the character issues that the prequels had but it has lots of great poo poo(action/setpieces/some ok comedy/cameos/tonally consisted(enough at least)) that it works overall. they characters were definitely not fleshed out enough, but they wernt hate able and they worked well enough for what the story was going for and where the characters we headed.

I didn't really hate any of the cast, no, but the tragic ending lost something for me when I realized I cared a lot more about the monks and the robot than those two. It's certainly not like I came away loathing anyone more just... bland disappointment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't really hate any of the cast, no, but the tragic ending lost something for me when I realized I cared a lot more about the monks and the robot than those two. It's certainly not like I came away loathing anyone more just... bland disappointment.

yeah i agree with that. she and he wern't interesting characters. while the others were relatively one note. they were better.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

General consensus I'm hearing is mediocre plot/characters but not enough to sink it, cool atmosphere and action, not super great but worth watching?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

StashAugustine posted:

General consensus I'm hearing is mediocre plot/characters but not enough to sink it, cool atmosphere and action, not super great but worth watching?

Yeah, absolutely.

People saying the characters don't have 'coherent motivations' don't understand the words they're writing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Worth watching, but I was not feeling it at all until the last 45 minutes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

It's worth watching if just for the big battle at the end, just don't expect to take too much more out of it than "man, that was a cool battle."

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, absolutely.

People saying the characters don't have 'coherent motivations' don't understand the words they're writing.

No, I'm pretty sure I understand the words I'm writing. The main two characters basically fumble from plot point to plot point the story obviously wanted them to hit without bothers to do more than the bare minimum (or sometimes not even then) to earn it. The rest of the cast is either entirely static or so thin that their development amounts to almost nothing. The frigging Droid is probably the most developed character in the entire movie.

It's a movie that is carried entirely by its strong final act and even then the strong final act is carried largely on the back of people who are not the people you're following for the first 3/4ths of the film.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 16, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth watching if just for the big battle at the end, just don't expect to take too much more out of it than "man, that was a cool battle."

No, I'm pretty sure I understand the words I'm writing. The main two characters basically fumble from plot point to plot point the story obviously wanted them to hit without bothers to do more than the bare minimum (or sometimes not even then) to earn it. The rest of the cast is either entirely static or so thin that their development amounts to almost nothing. The frigging Droid is probably the most developed character in the entire movie.

It's a movie that is carried entirely by its strong final act and even then the strong final act is carried largely on the back of people who are not the people you're following for the first 3/4ths of the film.

No, you don't. The characters have consistent motivations, although they are not particularly deep. There's even one point where a character flat out tells his motivation to another. If you would like, I can explain them to you?

I understand that Overwatch has poisoned your brain but movies tend to make sense if you watch them and listen to the dialogue.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You are insanely defensive about your lovely heist movie.

Though people expecting a heist movie to have deep or even well defined protagonists are kind of expecting a bit much.

Also what a weird burn with overwatch. Overwatch has no story, on purpose.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Calm your tits it's alright if someone doesn't like a film as much as you do. I said this on another forum but it bears repeating. At this point a star wars movie is good or bad depending on what the viewer expects from it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

No, you don't. The characters have consistent motivations, although they are not particularly deep. There's even one point where a character flat out tells his motivation to another. If you would like, I can explain them to you?

I understand that Overwatch has poisoned your brain but movies tend to make sense if you watch them and listen to the dialogue.

Yes, the characters explain their motivations. That does not make them good or well-developed. Jin's characterization and plot is all over the place, likely because they rewrote her character significantly and she's patched together from multiple scripts. The other characters are all absurdly one note and barely developed except for maybe the pilot. This isn't the end of the world except we spend 3/4ths of the film with them and then the last 1/4th basically sidelines them in favor of an epic battle they have only the barest contributions to.

I like how you made a lovely out of nowhere attack against my avatar because I said something bad about a film. That totally doesn't make you look like a rampaging fanboy.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 16, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, the characters explain their motivations. That does not make them good or well-developed. Jin's characterization and plot is all over the place, likely because they rewrote her character significantly and she's patched together from multiple scripts. The other characters are all absurdly one note and barely developed except for maybe the pilot.

I like how you made a lovely out of nowhere attack against my avatar because I said something bad about a film. That totally doesn't make you look like a rampaging fanboy.

:henget:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh that is where the overwatch burn came in, I was completely baffled. It's still weird but it at least isn't random?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truly an unarguable answer.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I thought it was pretty loving good and that the ending was totally earned. I think the motivations were pretty clear given the Empire is incredibly lovely in this movie and they're building a loving genocide machine. Did nobody pick up on the incredibly obvious nuclear analogy, too? It was a cool movie about plucky rebels (most of whom are PoC) sacrificing themselves to take down a nuclear/superweapon armed fascist regime. That kinda resonated with me, I guess.

The little easter eggs were nice and not distracting, either. I think they were better integrated into the world than in TFA.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I understood everyone's motivation, I just didn't give a poo poo about the flat or irritating characters. That team should have been Jyn, Chirrut, and Baze. No one else is worth mentioning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I understood everyone's motivation, I just didn't give a poo poo about the flat or irritating characters. That team should have been Jyn, Chirrut, and Baze. No one else is worth mentioning.

I thought the droid was okay. :smith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ImpAtom posted:

I thought the droid was okay. :smith:

I can see why folks would like him, but I personally found him irritating. He's a low-rent C-3PO and it got old after the Jedha scenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can see why folks would like him, but I personally found him irritating. He's a low-rent C-3PO and it got old after the Jedha scenes.

Yeah, fair enough, I can see that. I admit that I basically just kept thinking "Oh, he's the Drax of this group" but that was probably just because he's the big beefy one who is forced to speak unnaturally bluntly more than any actual direct similarity.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How is the music? I was bummed out when they said desplat had been replaced by giacchino

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Arcsquad12 posted:

How is the music? I was bummed out when they said desplat had been replaced by giacchino

Uninspired, unfortunately.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

poo poo. Really poo poo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Calm your tits it's alright if someone doesn't like a film as much as you do. I said this on another forum but it bears repeating. At this point a star wars movie is good or bad depending on what the viewer expects from it.

Actually they're good or bad based on their qualities as film.

The reaction is fascinatingly similar to Doctor Strange, where despite the praise, it's impossible for anyone to say what makes the movie intetesting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Removing personal opinion from the equation makes any declaration of a films qualities meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Removing personal opinion from the equation makes any declaration of a films qualities meaningless.

Your statement here is actually mostly meaningless. Filmic quality, while derived from subjective experience, ultimately exists outside of strictly personal feelings in a wider social and cultural context. Nothing can stop subjective experience from being true or accurate, or for one personal opinion to be truer or more accurate than another. Rogue One can, in fact, be bad despite someone saying that it's a great movie.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 16, 2016