Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm still kinda struggling with when to use hard moves. Like, I'm trying to stick to "When there's an opportunity or they fail a move", but I keep feeling like I'm not making enough hard moves. "When the players look at you for what happens next" is a hard thing to judge on IRC, and I keep wondering how much risk is enough risk to click it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
When the players look at you for what happens next = any 3-4 second pause in the conversation and nobody fills it. You do a soft move, aka present a threat, opportunity, or challenge.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
That's both kind of an absurd pacing expectation for IRC, and contradictory to when the manual says you make hard moves.

I think in terms of IRC, it's reasonable to do it if it's somewhat clear nobody knows what to do (A one minute gap might be someone typing and editing a line, a ten minute pause indicates something more drastic), or when it follows naturally according to the section on hard moves in the monsterhearts manual.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I didn't assume ppl were still using IRC for gaming. Even AIM added a "someone else is typing" feature in 1998.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I did say "is a hard thing to judge on IRC".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

spectralent posted:

I did say "is a hard thing to judge on IRC".

I done hosed up!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Might try World of Dungeons in the near future. How much health and damage should I give enemies?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
The Apocalypse World PDF has been updated with Bookmarks and an active table of contents. A nice little quality of life improvement.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Me and my friends played Urban Shadows and I had rules question.. or a moves question?

We were fighting werewolves and the werewolf got on top of me, pinning me. What move would I need to use to get out of that situation? Unleash an attack where I can't use my weapon because Its pinned and hope for a10+?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
Escape a situation seems like an obvious fit, although it will likely mean you are leaving the whole fight behind, which does not seem to be your intent.

Keeping your cool (the act under fire analogue) would be my choice in this case.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's now an official Powered by the Apocalypse Redbubble store so you can get t-shirts and mugs and stuff.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I've been sort of haphazardly mucking about with playbook ideas, and playbook formatting, so here's a thing.

Ranger

I haven't actually done anything more than the roughest outlining, but the general idea is for this to fit into something post-apocalyptic with some serious weirdness waiting in the wings, but less up-front gonzo and crass than Apocalypse World's default, as well as a more compact timeframe for when the apocalypse in question actually happened.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

So I wanted to start an Apocalypse World game with some friends of mine. I want to set it in postapocalyptic Florida and have the major antagonistic force be an army of right-wing survivalists (think Holnists from the Postman meets Alex Jones), with the post-post-apocalyptic concepts of New Vegas, and I wanted to ask what would be a more interesting concept for the players situation:

A) Being agents for a rich dude who managed to get some factories up and running again.
B) Be various citizens of a small town (Daytona? Some swampy area?) trying to live life and protect their town from the threats inside and out.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Ask them, not us.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

Ask them, not us.

Alright, thanks.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I wouldn't go into GMing AW with anything more than a setting idea, and even that should be flexible. The players' character concepts and playbook choices will dictate most of the content of the game; it's not a D&D-style "players bring vague murderhobos, GM brings everything else" system, and running it that way generally doesn't end well.

I would also recommend running the right-wing survivalist thing past your players before springing it on them. A lot of people wouldn't really enjoy having topical material like that in a game.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't go into GMing AW with anything more than a setting idea, and even that should be flexible. The players' character concepts and playbook choices will dictate most of the content of the game; it's not a D&D-style "players bring vague murderhobos, GM brings everything else" system, and running it that way generally doesn't end well.

I would also recommend running the right-wing survivalist thing past your players before springing it on them. A lot of people wouldn't really enjoy having topical material like that in a game.

Huh, I wasn't sure about that. Thanks. Anything else I should know about making games in this system?

E: Are there any actual play podcasts of AW out there to help me get a better idea of the system?

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 15, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7GSTudpZx8

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Also, for 2E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7jim47nx8g

To expand on what everyone else has said a bunch of the playbooks make those concepts impossible. A Hardholder is gonna run the town you want them to be citizens of; a Chopper might do jobs for a rich dude but is just as likely to kill him and take his poo poo.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Speaking of 2E, looks like Misscliks will be doing a 2E series starting tonightJanuary 5th.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 16, 2016

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

admanb posted:

Also, for 2E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7jim47nx8g

To expand on what everyone else has said a bunch of the playbooks make those concepts impossible. A Hardholder is gonna run the town you want them to be citizens of; a Chopper might do jobs for a rich dude but is just as likely to kill him and take his poo poo.

I see. What can be done then? Should it be collaborated upon with the players what the world should be like and the general structure of the game? Should we agree on what playbooks can and can't be used? One of the ideas several of them seemed to like was one where the players worked for a radio station. One of them said that they'd like to do some exploration. Could that be done?

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 16, 2016

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Mikedawson posted:

I see. What can be done then? Should it be collaborated upon with the players what the world should be like and the general structure of the game? Should we agree on what playbooks can and can't be used? One of the ideas several of them seemed to like was one where the players worked for a radio station. One of them said that they'd like to do some exploration. Could that be done?

During the character creation session you chat with your players about their characters and the world that surrounds them. By all means, pitch your idea for the antagonists to them and see if they attach them selves to it. As the MC, you're going to be asking the players questions about their characters, what things look like, how they feel about other characters, which NPCs they rely on, which NPCs they hate, which weird things they're invested in. You and your players are going to set up the dominoes of a place topping on the edge of collapse, and then during the game, you as the MC (and let's be honest, the PCs as well) are going to start knocking over those dominoes and see what happens when the poo poo hits the fan.

The group of PCs in Apoc World is often very decentralised, and you don't need to 'keep the party together.' In fact, the players will find their characters at odds in a number of situations. This is great and fine, because the read a person and manipulated moves give you great avenues for nonviolent PVP (Though escalating to violence is always a possibility.)

The game will encourage you to create PC - NPC - PC triangles, with the NPCs setting up common ground or conflict between your PCs. Buick the Hardholder may want to buy drugs from Scabs the NPC, but Scabs stole the drugs from Harken the Savvyhead, and Harken wants Scabs dead.

Apocalypse World plays a lot more like an HBO drama than traditional "adventuring party" RPGs. Embrace the idea of exploring your players' broken, messed up characters in a broken, messed up world and the game will point all of you in the right direction.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can watch Vincent GM AW (and DitV) to a bunch of people on How We Role.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If anyone's interested the first draft of the NewKULT PbtA-adaptation ruleset is publicly available in their latest Kickstarter update. They have a load of disclaimers in the post before but I thought it might be interesting to people here.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 23, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/201894/Wizard-Pit-Fight

huh

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hey this isn't strictly related to Apocalypse World, but I wasn't sure where else to ask this.

I'm getting together players, and I was wondering if there was a good site to help us agree on a regular schedule. I remember using one with a group I was a player in, but I don't remember the name of it.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Mikedawson posted:

Hey this isn't strictly related to Apocalypse World, but I wasn't sure where else to ask this.

I'm getting together players, and I was wondering if there was a good site to help us agree on a regular schedule. I remember using one with a group I was a player in, but I don't remember the name of it.

I've used doodle before and it seemed perfectly cromulent

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Mikedawson posted:

slack if you want different channels for different topics and secret messages, and facebook private groups for working out meetups.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/the-deans-list-austin-walkers-top-10-games-of-2016

9 computer games then The Sprawl as #1, nice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
There any good templates in either photoshop/indesign and/or word for making Mask playbooks that look official?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
It's wack that they haven't put out printer friendly playbooks, because I have a hard time doing online sheets.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How much would it cost to get an actual dude or dudet to make such templates and a printer friendly version?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Covok posted:

How much would it cost to get an actual dude or dudet to make such templates and a printer friendly version?

You can get someone on Fiverr or R/Beermoney to do it cheap.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Covok posted:

There any good templates in either photoshop/indesign and/or word for making Mask playbooks that look official?

Just messing around with the PDF, it'd be straightfoward, I think. What does the template need to include? Does it just need the background elements - or do you want actual text boxes?

Edit: Like, if you just need something like this, it's pretty easy.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 3, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, while I still enjoy Masks and didn't want to punish the author for the stupidity of the publisher, I'm not going to be giving Magpie any more of my money. I don't even think Truman's ever actually addressed the numerous concerns people had with his blog posts.

Speaking of Masks, I made a playbook a while back and I've been tweaking it here and there as I remember it exists. If people could take a look and see what needs work I'd appreciate it.

The Bearer is your Kyle Rayner/Blue Beetle/Nova type; someone who's come in possession of an item of power that has ties to a larger peacekeeping (or "peacekeeping") organization.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 3, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

thefakenews posted:

Just messing around with the PDF, it'd be straightfoward, I think. What does the template need to include? Does it just need the background elements - or do you want actual text boxes?

Edit: Like, if you just need something like this, it's pretty easy.

Hey, sweet. I think I'll use that to make my "Kid" playbook look a little more official. Can you also do a version with the full colors so I can edit details into that as well? Also one for the generic pages in the book? As long as this isn't asking too much, of course.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Is there a list anywhere of fan-made playbooks for Masks?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Is there a list anywhere of fan-made playbooks for Masks?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/110704683035976001273 search for Playbook?

They're extremely involved to make, so there are far fewer than Dungeon World classes or MH skins.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Covok posted:

Hey, sweet. I think I'll use that to make my "Kid" playbook look a little more official. Can you also do a version with the full colors so I can edit details into that as well? Also one for the generic pages in the book? As long as this isn't asking too much, of course.

What are you planning to edit it with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, while I still enjoy Masks and didn't want to punish the author for the stupidity of the publisher, I'm not going to be giving Magpie any more of my money. I don't even think Truman's ever actually addressed the numerous concerns people had with his blog posts.
:yeah:

"and then, EM said" posted:

Speaking of Masks, I made a playbook a while back and I've been tweaking it here and there as I remember it exists. If people could take a look and see what needs work I'd appreciate it.
The Bearer is your Kyle Rayner/Blue Beetle/Nova type; someone who's come in possession of an item of power that has ties to a larger peacekeeping (or "peacekeeping") organization.

I think this is great and when I run masks I'll offer this as one of the playbooks for my group, especially since you accidentally made stands.
I think the Scope could use some work though, maybe some kind of mechanical thing (where they each embody a label like the mentor from the protege?).