Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
“Are there things Donald Trump could do tomorrow that would change my vote? Absolutely,” Crawford said. “If he went on a murdering spree. … At this point, though, I’m voting consistent with the will of the people.”

murderED balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

quote:

Among their enthusiasms, at this point, was the libertarian Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, whose anti-government obsessions and isolationist foreign policy Yahya and Tania both found congenial. The prophet had endorsed the gold standard, and so did Paul. Yahya and Tania liked pot, and the Libertarians were the closest thing to an anti-prohibitionist party in the United States. And—finally—Paul’s foreign policy suggested a possible disengagement with Israel. “You guys (meaning Americans) need to stop supporting democracy, and just make Ron Paul your king,” Tania later wrote on Facebook, only half joking. Yahya wanted revolution. “Tyranny is here,” he replied, “and the Tree of Liberty is thirsty.”

lol literal Islamic terrorist likes ron paul cuz weed and endorses the gold standard

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Schnorkles posted:

kinda hate you rn

:tipshat:

i hate myself too, join the club, friend

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Were people really mad at Obama last night for not dissolving the government?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

fits my needs posted:

Lmao, those people treat political parties like sports teams they aren't switching sides.

except for the people who voted for obama in 08/12 and then switched to trump

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Karl Sharks posted:

:tipshat:

i hate myself too, join the club, friend

:(

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vox headline from 2018: Obama Subverting the Democratic Process Was a Good Thing, But Not For the Reasons You Think

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

people actually got real mad at the idea that he would refuse to let donald j trump be president

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

people got mad at obama for cooking up a new bag of nothing

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

hahaha, i needed a little :3: newt cute :3: this morning

will probably click again after the inevitable 2pm disappointment

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Karl Sharks posted:

except for the people who voted for obama in 08/12 and then switched to trump

turns out we do need rural white people

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

the harshest truth of all

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
holy poo poo, kansas is a failed state

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i mean duh and/or hello but they have a $350m deficit this year and a $600m deficit next year lol

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

i meant for the joke

like idk why that song popped into my head, haven't heard it in ages

and i look up the lyrics to copy them down and then there it is, right at the end "remember the name"

and i knew the universe made this happen for a reason

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Yinlock posted:

the harshest truth of all

they vote.

if millennials got off their asses it might help

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Anyway, since my order at Burger King is complete. How exactly will Obama retaliate against Russia? Give a strongly worded speech about a red line? Perhaps some sort of executive order that will be rolled back?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

Not cooler than snowmobiles

Or whatever Palin called them. Snow machines I think, something really suspicious like she's legit an alien or smtg

That's just what they're called in Alaska, it's not a Palin thing.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
obama is going to announce the closure of the white house brewery

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
lets cut income taxes to zero and balance the budget with consumption taxes!!! - a loving moron

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yinlock posted:

why though

despite all the bad poo poo we do, we also do a lot of good poo poo. there are a lot of people here who truly want to make the world a better place and lead by example. this isn't a valid argument for it being good, but it truly could be so much worse, with a truly evil country as the world superpower.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
does the 2nd amendment extend to CYBER WAR

i want to buy my day0 attacks with no mandatory waiting period

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

ex post facho posted:

i mean duh and/or hello but they have a $350m deficit this year and a $600m deficit next year lol

time for some aggressive tax cuts combined with drastically reduced spending

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

ex post facho posted:

lets cut income taxes to zero and balance the budget with consumption taxes!!! - a loving moron

why does my hamburger cost $10???

Obama! :argh:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

they vote.

if millennials got off their asses it might help

yeah that wasn't irony, the fact that the democrats need those dumbasses is true but it's a bitter pill

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ex post facho posted:

and they'll still vote to go in that direction lol

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

need is a strong word

if the dems had focused on the areas that we actually needed to win, then we would've won

can take or leave rural whites, it just makes it easier in the end

i mean i'm not looking to them as a sort of guiding principle in governance since they voted for obama for 2 terms, then said "you know who needs a chance to run the government? republicans!"

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

does the 2nd amendment extend to CYBER WAR

i want to buy my day0 attacks with no mandatory waiting period

the constitution guarantees the right to own wi-fi enabled lightbulbs

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ex post facho posted:

Surprised Brownback hasn't been recruited yet with that kind of deal making ability

Serf
May 5, 2011

eat the rich, wear their guts

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Karl Sharks posted:

need is a strong word

if the dems had focused on the areas that we actually needed to win, then we would've won

i mean i'm not looking to them as a sort of guiding principle in governance since they voted for obama for 2 terms, then said "you know who needs a chance to run the government? republicans!"

there is a strong sense of "my life hasn't gotten better in 8 years, time to vote for the other team" that prevails with a not insignificant number of people.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

fits my needs posted:

Anyway, since my order at Burger King is complete. How exactly will Obama retaliate against Russia? Give a strongly worded speech about a red line? Perhaps some sort of executive order that will be rolled back?

Embargo on Hamilton tickets to Russia oligarchs.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
China seizes naval drone, Trump says "false flag! It was one of their own drones they were using to make up global warming lies! No need to get it back, this fireside chat brought to you by Trump Tower Taipei"

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
how loving 2016 is it that there's a rumor that Obama might be preparing to overturn the election results and i'm like 1) gently caress yeah! and then 2) like that's gonna happen followed by 3) hope is a lie

i contend that it's pretty loving 2016

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

obama is going to announce the closure of the white house brewery

and instead open up the white house dispensary

what, you thought michelle was growing loving potatoes in that garden? lol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Trash Trick posted:

good morning. what are your plans today.

today is tending to my stove, just moved in some firewood, gonna buy some loaves of bread from a neighbor, um, what else

chillaxin, and still gotta find time to read

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
who could have predicted this!!

the kansas city star, in loving 2012 lol

http://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article303137/Brownback-signs-big-tax-cut-in-Kansas.html

quote:

TOPEKA

Economic gold rush?

Or fiscal wreck?

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback took a grand gamble Tuesday with a monumental tax plan that he hopes will spur an economic revival and not an unparalleled budget crisis that leaves state services in ruins.

While it wasn’t the plan Brownback quite wanted, the bill he signed Tuesday slashes state income taxes by roughly $3.7 billion over five years, with state fiscal analysts projecting budget deficits reaching $2.5 billion in 2018.

It’s described by one lawmaker as the “worst tax bill” to come out of the statehouse. Brownback, in contrast, saw it as a chance for the state to remake its business climate.

“We’re going to move this forward and make it work and take care of our fundamental services,” said Brownback, whose original plan for cutting taxes did more to pay for itself.

Plenty of skeptics believe that the governor’s approach will decimate state services. They point to forecasts showing that the tax plan will drown Topeka in billions of dollars in red ink.

The tax cuts will “have an enormous impact on everything from public education to public health coverage to infrastructure to other vital social safety-net services,” said Shannon Cotsoradis, president of Kansas Action for Children. “This is not a bill that’s good for low- and moderate-income families in Kansas.”

The plan collapses the state’s current three-bracket system to two brackets starting in 2013. It cuts the highest income tax rates to 4.9 percent from 6.45 percent and 6.25 percent. It also reduces the lowest tax rate to 3 percent from 3.5 percent.

The tax measure also allows the state sales tax to drop by six-tenths of a cent in 2013. It keeps deductions for charitable contributions and interest on home mortgages.

However, the plan wipes out tax credits used by hundreds of thousands of Kansans, including food sales tax rebates and credits for taxpayers who have to work and must care for children, disabled dependents or spouses.

The heart of the bill also exempts non-wage business income for 190,000 limited-liability companies, sole proprietorships and the like. That provision, in particular, is aimed at job creation.

Brownback’s goal has always been to put more money into the hands of Kansas taxpayers. He hopes that they’ll use those dollars to energize the economy.

“My faith is in the people of Kansas,” Brownback said, “not its government.”

Brownback said the less affluent would not be hurt by the tax cuts.

“The best thing we can do for individuals in this state, and particularly for somebody that’s struggling, is to provide jobs and job opportunities,” the Republican governor said. “That’s what this does.”

It would be more popular to cut property taxes, Brownback said. In fact, Democrats argued for that throughout the legislative session. But the governor said property tax cuts wouldn’t power the economy as well as income tax cuts.

“That would be good and I would be for it,” he said, “but it doesn’t create growth.”

Brownback promised to fund core services like schools and roads, but vowed he would continue to cut state government.

“We’re going to keep pruning state government any place that we can,” the governor said.

The plan the governor signed Tuesday was far different from what he proposed in January.

His original plan would have similarly cut taxes, but that earlier proposal also would have been paid for through elimination of many tax credits and deductions — like those for interest on home mortgages and charitable contributions.

Yet those proved among the most popular to legislators’ constituents, and ultimately too politically sacred to get rid of.

Indeed, few thought the plan that the governor signed Tuesday would ever have made it as far as it did.

The Senate effectively killed the tax makeover in March. Yet hours after that defeat, senators reversed themselves and passed the bill on the belief it could restart negotiations.

Instead, when senators appeared to balk at more modest tax cuts early this month, the House called their bluff, and passed the bigger tax-cut bill.

And that was the tax overhaul Brownback signed on Tuesday.

The governor said he would have settled for a compromise tax plan that cut less aggressively into state government revenue.

But he couldn’t persuade senators who were distrustful of financial projections and pushed for more moderate reform.

Going forward, the questions facing the state will be when — or how — the tax plan’ will succeed or fail and what the fallout will be for critical state services.

Nick Jordan, the state’s revenue secretary, said the administration ultimately imagines the creation of 22,000 more jobs over “normal growth” and 35,000 more people moving into the state over the next five years. And he expects the tax changes to expand disposable income by $2 billion over the same period.

The governor’s plan to zero out non-wage taxes on mostly smaller businesses turns Kansas into something of an economic proving ground. Economists disagree about what the state might get from its tax-cutting experiment.

Partly, because the idea of eliminating taxes on just one type of business — the small ones — hasn’t been tried in other states.

“It’s bold. It hits the right target,” said Art Hall, executive director of the Center for Applied Economics at the University of Kansas’ School of Business, who helped develop the plan.

But he said “it’s a 10-year play, or more.”

Critics predict it won’t drive businesses to Kansas. It won’t, they say, make entrepreneurs out of anyone who wasn’t already inclined to start a business. In particular, they say state taxes are dwarfed by federal taxes, and that the cuts represent a relatively small lever working the gears of the Kansas economy.

“I don’t think it has a big effect,” economist Michael Wasylenko, in the Maxwell School of Business at Syracuse University, said earlier this year as the bill wound through the legislature.

Even ardent supporters of the tax-cut plan said it doesn’t come with economy-juicing guarantees.

“There is nothing that is absolute,” said Alan Cobb of Americans for Prosperity. “(But) is it any more of a gamble than what we were doing before? We had high tax burdens and high spending, and we had some of the best roads in America and, guess what, people were leaving Kansas to pursue economic opportunities elsewhere.”

Republican voters really are the dumbest motherfuckers on earth.

They may have complex motivations, but they really just flat-out loving morons

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Duscat posted:

how loving 2016 is it that there's a rumor that Obama might be preparing to overturn the election results and i'm like 1) gently caress yeah! and then 2) like that's gonna happen followed by 3) hope is a lie

i contend that it's pretty loving 2016

it would be v 2016 but

gently caress it

im not gonna say but no more

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Karl Sharks posted:

need is a strong word

lol Bors is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If the post mortems say anything definitively it is that the demographic model of the democratic electorate is pretty much right, but you have to actually show up and not take people for granted. Clinton's problem was not that she didn't pander enough to rural whites, it's that she didn't even show up in Wisconsin or Michigan, or have a field operation, or have a succintly distilled message. The corrective is not increasing the pandering to rural whites, it's addressing those malpractice-level shortcomings.

• Locked thread