Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Anybody here with a Foxeer Legend 2? I'm trying to disable its OSD so I can use one cam as both the recording cam and FPV cam. I can't find jack poo poo as far as a manual or anything, and the Android app does not seem to have the ability to change it.
Turns out the Android app is not really supported under Android 7. The app always crashes trying to access the settings screen. Using my old phone I was able to turn off the OSD and change a bunch of other settings, so now I should be good to go with just a single cam on my plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm planning a Q Carbon 110mm build and really like the 2535 quad props but can't decide on what motor or ESC combination to use. I don't have a ton of room to let her rip so I was thinking 2-3S packs. Between the various 1104 or 1105 options, what would be a good fit?

He also lists a HDR camera/mount on his site for the Q Carbons but I have to wonder if it's worth $45 or if there are better options out there.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inimicul posted:

I'm planning a Q Carbon 110mm build and really like the 2535 quad props but can't decide on what motor or ESC combination to use. I don't have a ton of room to let her rip so I was thinking 2-3S packs. Between the various 1104 or 1105 options, what would be a good fit?

He also lists a HDR camera/mount on his site for the Q Carbons but I have to wonder if it's worth $45 or if there are better options out there.

Banggood has new1103 motors in 6500/7800/10000kv(and tons of colour choices) which would be neat on 2s, but probably as punchy as a brushed(not very). They're also selling 2s capable micro brushed motors now which may be something to look into for an indoor flyer with some kick.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So i downloaded all the free Part 107 test study guides from the FAA i could find, any others i should look at? Most of the ones on Amazon seem to be rushed to print and full of mistakes, per the review sections.

Also, i have a phantom 4 but it's bulky and pretty much overkill, thinking about a side-grade to the mavic pro. Is it out yet? People have apparently bought and use them (and those that have are scalping them on ebay/cl), but B&H says it's not being released until january 15th.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 16, 2016

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
3DR.com/FAA has some good 107 material for free including practice tests. Also the Mavic is indeed "out" but only pre-orders and very early October orders have been fulfilled. Some people are getting lucky and finding them in stock at their local Microcenter, Apple stores, and DJI flagship stores.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

So i downloaded all the free Part 107 test study guides from the FAA i could find, any others i should look at? Most of the ones on Amazon seem to be rushed to print and full of mistakes, per the review sections.

Also, i have a phantom 4 but it's bulky and pretty much overkill, thinking about a side-grade to the mavic pro. Is it out yet? People have apparently bought and use them (and those that have are scalping them on ebay/cl), but B&H says it's not being released until january 15th.

ASA test prep. They have an app as well

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Loved the new WW1 bipes from Flite Test and had to build one:

Turned it into a 4ch, though, as I want to have ailerons!

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Oh, that looks nice. When do you think you'll have a chance to fly it?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I really want a DR1 with a TX01 on it in the cockpit.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Golluk posted:

Oh, that looks nice. When do you think you'll have a chance to fly it?

(looks at weather forecast) Christmas, if I'm lucky.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Every dipshit keeps sending me that Neistat video over on Facebook, because me and drones apparently. Pisses me off, given it's kinda fake as gently caress. Not so much the drone part itself, but because it can only drag or lift, but not transition between those two, because it'd result in a huge flying pendulum. Neistat even admits to that in a follow up. Parts have been filmed separately and then cut together.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, technically that's still flying with it. Just at an incredibly slow forward movement. I don't really get that they were trying to trick anyone.

Edit: I don't really see what the issue is I guess. They're making a Christmas short, him slowly, awkwardly lifting off the ground before moving forward wasn't cinematic, and they aren't lying about the fact that the drone has the thrust to carry ~200lbs of Casey on it.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 22, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Combat Pretzel posted:

Every dipshit keeps sending me that Neistat video over on Facebook, because me and drones apparently.

:same:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Not faked is the sound of that thing, good god.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Question for the RC enthusiasts from a total n00b:

My wife and I want to make a flying Servo Skull for a 40k Cosplay, but have no idea what kind of drone, if any, would work for the project. For those who don't know, these are Servo Skulls:

So what'd we'd need, in essence, is a drone both small and powerful enough to fit completely inside a (foam/plastic) human-sized skull with (light) attachments and provide stable maneuverable lift up to ~6 feet or so. We're assuming we'd have to put a grill or holes on the top of the skull to allow air flow, which would totally work with the aesthetic anyway and would probably look awesome.

Thoughts? Thank you!

susan fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 24, 2016

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can't help you but please do that because it sounds incredibly badass and needs to exist in the world.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Oh my god that is awesome.

You are most likely going to have to build your own aircraft around the skull or inside of it, pretty much anything you buy ready to go won't have the right power loading and configuration to fly it around. We can help you choose components and stuff for it.

You could either have arms sticking out the sides of it with props on it which will be small but visible, or you could cut holes in it like you said and try to hide everything inside. The latter will be a lot more work and likely won't fly as long or be as quiet (the smaller props and dirtier air will make a lot of noise and be less efficient).

It will be a big project but superbly cool.

Edit: check out the jerky bot made by Andy Shen for an idea of what will go into this: http://www.shendrones.com/jerkybot

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 24, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Or the deathstar drone from flite test (or the christmas gifts one thats honestly closer in size)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHPejXhenoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePxcVqjqHIk&t=5s

its all pretty basic stuff as far as frame design goes - you just need to make your servo skull hide most of it (and do wire up some of those attachments to actual servos please please)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 25, 2016

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
It would be a pretty neat adaptation of one of those selfie drones with the follow-me function built in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got a balance charging board for christmas :woop: Quick question, do I want to set my charger's amperage at battery count * minimum battery size, or sum of battery capacities? I have two 1050mA batteries and three 1500mA batteries that are otherwise the same characteristics, so it's either 5A or 6.5A. (I know 5A will work, just wanna know if I can charge faster.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 25, 2016

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I think ideal setting would be the (total Ah of all batteries being charged) * (the lowest C rating out of the bunch). C rating for charging of course

I haven't done this but I'm fairly confident this would be the right approach based on general electronics knowledge. The voltages for batteries in parallel will be matching at all times, so they should automatically pull their proportional share of the current based on capacity.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Got a balance charging board for christmas :woop: Quick question, do I want to set my charger's amperage at battery count * minimum battery size, or sum of battery capacities? I have two 1050mA batteries and three 1500mA batteries that are otherwise the same characteristics, so it's either 5A or 6.5A. (I know 5A will work, just wanna know if I can charge faster.)

You don't want to charge different capacity batteries at the same time. It's a good way to start a fire.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah don't charge all of them at the same time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Righto then, two charges is still better than five. Or I can replace those 1050mAh batteries, they don't fly long enough anyway. Thanks :)

(ed) I'm just gonna stick to the 1C assumption if there's nothing on the label besides discharge rate, that seems safest.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 25, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I got a phantom 4 for Christmas and I am scared as gently caress of crashing this thing. It's very awesome though. Can't wait till I figure this thing out and can set it to follow my car at autocross.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Ciaphas posted:

Righto then, two charges is still better than five. Or I can replace those 1050mAh batteries, they don't fly long enough anyway. Thanks :)

(ed) I'm just gonna stick to the 1C assumption if there's nothing on the label besides discharge rate, that seems safest.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/parallel-lipo-charging.html

This is a really good guide.

They don't actually have the be the same capacity. They should be close, but it charges based off voltage, not actual mah.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

I got a phantom 4 for Christmas and I am scared as gently caress of crashing this thing. It's very awesome though. Can't wait till I figure this thing out and can set it to follow my car at autocross.

Not to dash your hopes but this probably isn't permitted.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Laserface posted:

Not to dash your hopes but this probably isn't permitted.

Yeah, my autox club strictly forbids drones in the air under threat of expulsion and a call to the police.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I wouldn't expect it to be permitted during actual heats, but there are often fun runs after the day is done.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Got myself a jxd 510w from Amazon as a foray into drone use. I recently got a 3d printer so looking for something to learn on and potentially mod with a diy gimble or something as the onboard camera is a bit poo poo by all accounts but at £40 with fpv and height stability it looked a good shout.

It's got a 600mah standard connection lipo battery. I see much larger ones for sale are they all the same physical size? It has a battery slot and hatch but I guess cable ties work too!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That thing will be broken in a week tops. Save for a tiny whoop.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

^^

What this guy said

thegasman2000 posted:

It's got a 600mah standard connection lipo battery. I see much larger ones for sale are they all the same physical size? It has a battery slot and hatch but I guess cable ties work too!

RC lipos are a minefield. Beyond physical size and mah capacity there's voltage, sustained and peak current, plus connector types which need to be factored in. If you're new to all this, only buy batteries made for that craft otherwise you'll find it won't work or will get a bit melty.

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 27, 2016

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

Don't be scared, they are unbelievably polite and controllable in the air; and if you get confused then just take your hands off the controls and it'll haul itself to a stop in midair in about a second.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You don't want to charge different capacity batteries at the same time. It's a good way to start a fire.
This is just superstition. The lipos will each pull the amperage they want like peepsalot said. Unless the charger is putting 2-3x+ the charge C rating or the voltage is over spec then there is no risk whatsoever of any problems while charging. I am a big fan of balance boards and unless there is a drastic (more than .5v) difference in voltage between lipos of the same cell count you can put them on a balance board together with no worries. I routinely charge 3S 7000mah flight packs along side 3S 900mah Fatshark batteries or 4S 6000mah flight packs with 1800mah 4S packs on a balance board all day long.

Regarding lipo size, the best way to determine size of a lipo is watt-hours. Watt-hours track closest to weight. More watt-hours more weight. Also C rating, higher C rating more weight all else equal.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Finally built my second quad into an older but unused 250 frame, with an F3 EVO, OSD PDB, Racerstar 25a BLHELIS ESCs and 2200/2600KV motors.

Took it out for it's maiden LOS flight, and so far flies so much sweeter and responsive than my first build with Naze32, SimonK ESCs and 1800 DYS motors on an 180 frame.

Gonna put my FPV gear into it and see how I get on.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
It looks like you didn't quite build it right. The arms are supposed to be sandwiched between two bottom plates.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's a weirdly thick bottom plate though, that may just be the design

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Nerobro posted:

It looks like you didn't quite build it right. The arms are supposed to be sandwiched between two bottom plates.

Ah yeah, I misplaced that thinner lower plate but it seems to be much more rigid than the Diatone ET180 even without it. As BBOG said it's fairly thick at 3mm (arms and main plate) so should take small knocks, and I'm not exactly a racer pilot (just for fun).

Having said that I'll probably collide with a tree and break an arm off, then curse myself for not finding it...

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Do not buy a QX70.

At first glance it looks like it takes the best parts of the QX95 and TinyWhoop to make an amazing micro. 70mm ducted frame with 8.5mm motors and *flight? Where do I sign up? I bought one as soon as they became available. A few weeks later and reviews started to show up. I watched in dread as nobody had good things to say about it. They took the successful QX series and made a lemon.

The frame is very flexible and fragile. The props are absolute garbage. No thrust and bad balance. I can't even get it to fly unless I push the motors up enough that the props aren't in the ducts and replace the 600mAh battery with a 150. The bad balance of the props causes the frame to vibrate and catch on the props or cause the flight controller to flip out.

The most common fix I've seen is for people to replace the props with clipped versions of those terrible Hubsan 3-blade props. The 8.5mm motors should have enough power to handle a more agressive prop than that but I can't find any alternatives. Is it feasible to print small props like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah unless you really know what you're doing ducts are a great way to negate 50% of your thrust. The best props I've seen for 8.5mm motors are the Ladybird props, but they just barely fit on my 80mm so I don't think they'll work for you unless you build one of those nail clipper prop trimmers.

I'm flying a QX90 with the ladybird props and hubsan prop guard on it right now and it's ~55g or so and flies pretty well for a brushed. Enough to fart around the office.