Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It really is astonishing how bad I am at this videogame, especially with aiming and reacting to things like getting shot at.

Also it took me about two whole games to figure out I had to hit triangle again to switch Symmetra's ult to the shield machine thing. Then I generated it right in front of a moving payload so it instantly blew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Now I get to never play comp again.

I also made this guy upset in quickplay when I was "warming up" because I just played Torbjorn and put sentries on the payload and then running back to spawn.

It probably didn't help that I told him I was sorry my sentry was better at the game than him.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 16, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

BabyRyoga posted:

That skin is literally a palette swap of the basic skin that is like 100 coins or whatever.

It does turn you into a snowperson though when you ice block :woop:

The skin also changes her "You have to let it go!" voiceline to "You have to let it snow!"

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Internet Explorer posted:

Playing in the "new meta" right now is awful, especially with the Symmetra changes. I am super glad I am going to be traveling for the holidays over the next few weeks while they sort it out.

She is mostly just as irrelevant as usual. It's the every match has Diva + 2 other tanks thing that is annoying about this meta.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the shield generator location should be visible somehow to the enemy team, that way it has to be actively defended from flankers and not just stuck into a corner where it can be forgotten because the enemy team will never find it

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the shield generator location should be visible somehow to the enemy team, that way it has to be actively defended from flankers and not just stuck into a corner where it can be forgotten because the enemy team will never find it

It has an extremely distinct hum. It sounds like a fridge on overdrive. Obviously the TP is easier to spot because of the particle effects, but still, people just don't prioritize killing the generator yet, at least not in plat.

I hid a generator behind the point on Anubis B, and an attacking Tracer stood next to it after our team wiped, but she didn't kill it. I came back in time to save it from a Lucio who was impotently booping at it. It's ridiculous.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 16, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(To say nothing of the borderline-cheating power of directional audio if you have access to it.)

Donnerberg posted:

It has an extremely distinct hum. It sounds like a fridge on overdrive.
It still amazes me how lovely this game can sometimes be to the hearing impaired, especially sine Blizzard's usually pretty good about that sort of stuff.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Asimo posted:

It still amazes me how lovely this game can sometimes be to the hearing impaired, especially sine Blizzard's usually pretty good about that sort of stuff.

Yeah. You might get it addressed with an effort-post on the official forums.

I suppose they could add an option turning noises into visual cues. Like hit indicators. That wouldn't give away the exact locations of stuff, but you'd get the general direction at the cost of some screen clutter.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
im like 10 boxes into this event and i got the zarya, pharah, reaper, and roadhog skins. plus the widow highlight. if I get the sombra skin then I'm the big winner here...

Donnerberg posted:

Yeah. You might get it addressed with an effort-post on the official forums.

I suppose they could add an option turning noises into visual cues. Like hit indicators. That wouldn't give away the exact locations of stuff, but you'd get the general direction at the cost of some screen clutter.

trust me, people have been effort posting about it since early in the beta. I have a deaf friend that's gone out of his way to do a big effort post on reddit and the OF about it, I've tried to get Blizzard's attention about it, there's been hundreds of threads on each about it, and Blizzard hasn't responded once outside of Jeff directly stating that captions would be in the game before the beta ended a year ago. They won't even caption their Youtube videos or just allow auto captioning to work. A less rational person would just say Blizzard hates deaf people.

It's weird that they turn such an obvious blind eye to it. It's probably something that came up in development, because sound became such an integral part of gameplay, and they decided it would be best to just ignore the hearing impaired than hack in some kind of solution. Kinda grating that colorblind options have become ubiquitous in the past decade but a lot of companies just tend to outright ignore hearing aids and captions.

Minera fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 16, 2016

Future Son
Mar 29, 2007
I'm from the future. I'm your son!

Minrad posted:

It's weird that they turn such an obvious blind eye to it.

Way to invoke another handicap AND explain how the color blind have it so good while bitching about how Blizzard is deaf to your complaints!

:master:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
So will they nerf Symmy immediately, or will they buff the counters?

My prediction: They keep messing with Mcree instead.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the only appropriate nerf to Symmetra would be to put a timer on her shield generator, so that it is similar to the teleport that if the enemy team can't smash it it will eventually wear out. Other than that it just needs a bit of a meta-game shift so that teams against a Symmetra get it into their heads that they need to find and break the shield generator.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It'd be neat if Widowmaker's magic sniper vision also showed the location of teleporters/shield generators (does it already do this and I never noticed idk)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
it doesn't, thought it would be cool if sombra hacking symmetra revealed her buildings (same for torb)

but maybe that hero's already too bloated on info instead of directly useful things

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BabyRyoga posted:

That skin is literally a palette swap of the basic skin that is like 100 coins or whatever.
it literally isn't

Theta Zero posted:

Now I get to never play comp again.

I also made this guy upset in quickplay when I was "warming up" because I just played Torbjorn and put sentries on the payload and then running back to spawn.

It probably didn't help that I told him I was sorry my sentry was better at the game than him.
I wonder if this was actually this guy. Probably a rando fan though

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

I think the only appropriate nerf to Symmetra would be to put a timer on her shield generator, so that it is similar to the teleport that if the enemy team can't smash it it will eventually wear out. Other than that it just needs a bit of a meta-game shift so that teams against a Symmetra get it into their heads that they need to find and break the shield generator.

Along with whatever else they do, the shield gen should not refund when the checkpoint changes. Symmetra shouldn't be able to go a whole match building ult only once. Not even the TP is that forgiving since the refunded ult is lowered with each teleport.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

IronicDongz posted:

it literally isn't
I wonder if this was actually this guy. Probably a rando fan though

I wouldn't doubt it if it was. I've ran into some apparently popular players while in quickplay, including people like Moepork and Surefour who I didn't find out were really big comp Overwatch players until later. Which I wish I knew beforehand, because my group made Moepork upset because we pretended he was only level 5 instead of 505 or whatever he was at because of the way the portrait system worked, so we kept giving him fake advice like how to use the WASD keys to move.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Theta Zero posted:

I wouldn't doubt it if it was. I've ran into some apparently popular players while in quickplay, including people like Moepork and Surefour who I didn't find out were really big comp Overwatch players until later. Which I wish I knew beforehand, because my group made Moepork upset because we pretended he was only level 5 instead of 505 or whatever he was at because of the way the portrait system worked, so we kept giving him fake advice like how to use the WASD keys to move.

laffo

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I assume the reason they haven't added deaf support is that the most obvious aids can be helpful to non-deaf players. In general people will do absolutely everything in their power to carve themselves out an advantage, something that options catering to colourblind players don't really do. So then every pro player will have [Pharah Ulting] because why limit yourself to just using your ears?

Then there's other stuff like how do you solve footsteps and stuff like that? Is it possible?

I don't know if it's ever possible for a game to sell itself as a competitive FPS and simultaneously make it completely fair on deaf people. The best compromise I can think of is including a minimap, but they already said they wouldn't include one and it brings with it a whole host of different issues.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Jeza posted:

I assume the reason they haven't added deaf support is that the most obvious aids can be helpful to non-deaf players. In general people will do absolutely everything in their power to carve themselves out an advantage, something that options catering to colourblind players don't really do. So then every pro player will have [Pharah Ulting] because why limit yourself to just using your ears?

Then there's other stuff like how do you solve footsteps and stuff like that? Is it possible?

I don't know if it's ever possible for a game to sell itself as a competitive FPS and simultaneously make it completely fair on deaf people. The best compromise I can think of is including a minimap, but they already said they wouldn't include one and it brings with it a whole host of different issues.

You could legitimately disable sound if you turned on the visual cues, that has a host of problems but it would work for the specific case of a deaf player trying to get a more even playing field.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Blorange posted:

You could legitimately disable sound if you turned on the visual cues, that has a host of problems but it would work for the specific case of a deaf player trying to get a more even playing field.

Yeah I think that's a pretty valid solution for completely deaf people, but of course for everybody in between it doesn't really solve anything. It would certainly be an interesting design challenge to make all the sound cues visually available on the screen without being ridiculously cluttered, and also remaining balanced. My background is in CS which has (I think?) zero deaf support. And any they did give would probably be crazy imbalanced. It'd be really hard to make it fair and not either confer a significant advantage, or be much weaker. The visual equivalent of positional sound seems crazy overpowered on a first pass, and can't overwhelm somebody with information so easily, whereas with sound, stuff is easily drowned out or missed in a way that visual stuff often isn't (though still is sometimes).

I guess the answer is that it's difficult. And swapping some colour palettes is easy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Does anyone have any advice for when a loving Symmetra is just running circles around me chainsawing me to death? Like they'll just run all around me zig zagging and I can't loving hit them!! I can't like anticipate shooting ahead where they'll go because their movements are too unpredictable. I don't have good enough aim to deal with that

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Macaluso posted:

Does anyone have any advice for when a loving Symmetra is just running circles around me chainsawing me to death? Like they'll just run all around me zig zagging and I can't loving hit them!! I can't like anticipate shooting ahead where they'll go because their movements are too unpredictable. I don't have good enough aim to deal with that

As which character?

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I've been playing the crap out of Symmetra (I did before the turret nerf, too). I'm loving the changes, though I do wish the shield barrier had charges, as well. Or even a timer if you let her gain ult at some point during it.

As for my erratic laser chainsaw, the people that use an escape to midrange and make me lose gun charge in the fight are the ones that usually get me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Theta Zero posted:

As which character?

In this case it was D.Va and I mean she can just fly away if things get too hairy, but I couldn't loving hit this Symmetra for the life of me. It wasn't really about me surviving as much as me being mad I couldn't hit her. Beyond "git gud" I can't do anything, it's why I can't play McCree cause he requires way better aim than I can handle.

The Symmetra buff is starting to ruin games for me tbh. If it's not a god Symm on the other team, it's a worthless Symm on mine. I miss the days of being salty at Widows.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Macaluso posted:

practice aiming

pick a character where it doesn't matter, either because they don't have to aim (Winston) or because they have "gently caress off literally at will" powers like Tracer or D. Va

e: get a buddy to play Symmetra and 1v1 them until you improve

e2: i just saw that you were already playing D. Va, but hey, that's a good start!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Macaluso posted:

In this case it was D.Va

Nope. Nothing you can do.

I love playing Symmetra and even before the buff I would eat D.Vas for breakfast. Even the best D.Vas I've seen absolutely cannot track Symmetra whenever I begin strafing randomly around them, which is made even easier given how slow D.Va is when she fires. There's no secret strategy, there's nothing you can do; if you can't track her, you can't do anything except run away as D.Va.

The only advice I can give is watch for when Symmetras, or any character, jumps. Jumping is a big no-no when you're playing against people who've been playing shooters for a while, especially because Overwatch has almost no air-strafing. If you jump, you're locking into a direction for a good second, so it's really easy to predict shots when somebody does that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

D. Va deals 160 DPS before headshots and has 600 HP. Symmetra's beam charges up from 30 DPS to 120 DPS. I'm not sure about the current length of the laser chainsaw but it's less than 10 meters so you should be able to get full damage before falloff vs. Sym. In a 1v1 situation, if you don't panic, you should be able to beat her even if she's pre-charged -- you just have to aim well enough to hit her for 1.25 seconds while she has to keep the beam on you for 5+ seconds best case scenario, longer if she has to warm the beam up.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

D. Va deals 160 DPS before headshots and has 600 HP. Symmetra's beam charges up from 30 DPS to 120 DPS. I'm not sure about the current length of the laser chainsaw but it's less than 10 meters so you should be able to get full damage before falloff vs. Sym. In a 1v1 situation, if you don't panic, you should be able to beat her even if she's pre-charged -- you just have to aim well enough to hit her for 1.25 seconds while she has to keep the beam on you for 5+ seconds best case scenario, longer if she has to warm the beam up.
DVa's DPS is only theoretical at close range if all shots hit, symmetra's is for free for no effort, also symmetra moves at full speed while you're at half. it all comes down to how good the D.Va's aim is, against a Symmetra dancing around you you're going to need very good aim to hit enough shots to win a 1v1.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bisse posted:

DVa's DPS is only theoretical at close range if all shots hit, symmetra's is for free for no effort, also symmetra moves at full speed while you're at half. it all comes down to how good the D.Va's aim is, against a Symmetra dancing around you you're going to need very good aim to hit enough shots to win a 1v1.

that's a really low estimate of what constitutes "really good aim"

i'm not saying that to be smug or condescending, everybody has to start somewhere, but seriously that should be achievable for anyone sufficiently determined

and if it really truly isn't possible for you, well, Winston serves a very similar role even if overall he's not as effective at team damage mitigation v:shobon:v

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
agreed with catfish but also remember you can boost/punch right into sym for some burst damage to finish her off. should not be even a contest 1v1.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

okay now i'm gonna be smug and condescending:

reminder that every time you make fun of people for talking about DPI and cm / 360, this is why they're laughing back

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
Yeah I don't understand, Dva has been my go-to for shredding problem Symmetras. Dive her when she gets out of position, smear her, then go destroy her shield generator or teleporter. I love watching Symmetra's spastically run in circles, strafing and jumping like its going to help against Dva who never even has to reload, plus as Dva you can just boost into her to throw her off for a second. Dva owns is what I'm saying

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

IronicDongz posted:

it literally isn't

?

It would only be more obvious if she were an ironknuckle from Adventure of Link

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just played a ranked match that was the most intense thing I've ever played. Game 1 my team was garbage and we almost turned on each other. Game 2 the enemy got the cap point to 99% and we kicked them off to take the point and hold it to win. Game 3 we held the point to 99% then got kicked off and lost. Game 4 they held the point to 99% and we kicked them off and held it to win. Game 5 my team kicked the enemy team off at 50%, held it to 99%, got kicked off and lost the game. My ranked didn't go down a single point after it, I've never seen something my rank stay the same! It was such an even match, holy dooley every match should be like that.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
mei's lovely reskin is only legendary because it makes her a snowman or something when she iceblocks

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It would maybe be worth it if it also changed the ice wall to an ice sculpture of mei

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a way to tweak symmetra back down that isn't just straight up reverting some of the changes they made to her would make it so the beam resets charge every time it disconnects. having it stay at full damage through reloads and losing line of sight is much more of an issue now that it's longer.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Or increase the ammo consumption on her M1 so she can't get 4 chainkills without reloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think sym has been out long enough to really consider if she needs nerfs