Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Main Paineframe posted:

It's an utter disaster for Israel - the next couple years will be great for the Israeli right, but in the long-term it could seriously hurt Israel's support in the US. Israel's relationship with the Diaspora is already rather delicate, since the Haredi parties have disproportionate power in the government and have used it to carve out all sorts of special privileges for themselves while relegating non-Orthodox Jews to second-class status, and Netanyahu's repeated attempts to turn foreign Jews into unpaid envoys for his foreign policy have been causing concern in the Diaspora.
Sounds good to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
How much does the US/Israel relation rely on American Jews? My understanding was that while it certainly doesn't hurt that American Jews generally are supportive of the US/Israeli relation, the real backbone behind the relation is a) religious right/Islamophobia, and b) defense industry/neocon expansionism.

I don't doubt that Trump and Friedman will (together with Bibi) make the US/Israeli relation much more of a GOP/Likud relation, and the end result will be if the Democrats ever regain power (especially if it's under the guide of the Sanders/Ellison wing of the party) it will take a lot of work to reestablish the bipartisan support for Israel, but I'm wondering how much the relation relies on the opinions of American Jews.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Liberal Zionists play quite a big role in preventing non-conservative opinion from turning too hostile to Israel. I suspect stuff like BDS would be a lot more popular/mainstream on the left if not for the Jewish component of the left-liberal coalition

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DrProsek posted:

How much does the US/Israel relation rely on American Jews? My understanding was that while it certainly doesn't hurt that American Jews generally are supportive of the US/Israeli relation, the real backbone behind the relation is a) religious right/Islamophobia, and b) defense industry/neocon expansionism.

I don't doubt that Trump and Friedman will (together with Bibi) make the US/Israeli relation much more of a GOP/Likud relation, and the end result will be if the Democrats ever regain power (especially if it's under the guide of the Sanders/Ellison wing of the party) it will take a lot of work to reestablish the bipartisan support for Israel, but I'm wondering how much the relation relies on the opinions of American Jews.

While it doesn't rely entirely on the opinions of American Jews, they play a crucial role in the overall political consensus. The Dems don't much care about the religious right and Islamophobes, but American Jews tend to be liberal and urban and are thus an important Democratic constituency who have played a critical role in keeping Israel support bipartisan. Also, "opposing Israeli government policies is anti-Semitic" has much broader appeal than "we need to support Israel for Jesus" or "kill all Muslims", but it depends on the support of American Jews for its credibility.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I keep hearing conflicting poo poo on this - does Palestine have or not have nuclear weapons?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Feral Integral posted:

I keep hearing conflicting poo poo on this - does Palestine have or not have nuclear weapons?

Neither the Palestinian Authority nor Hamas possess nuclear weapons that I am aware of, and trust me, they would flaunt them if they had them. This is the first I've heard that someone actually believes this. Where is this coming from?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Feral Integral posted:

Uh.

Israel has nukes. We don't know the extent of their program and the Israeli government has never admitted to having produced any, but the whistle got blown on them 30 years ago. They're not party to the Non-Proliferation Treaty since they refuse to be recognized as a nuclear-armed state, though it's basically an open secret.

The only weapons produced in Palestine are rockets fueled by piss and common household ingredients. They don't even have a regular payload. There is no way on earth Palestine has any nukes and I'm where curious where you heard that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Feral Integral posted:

If Palestine had nukes, they would have used them.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

It's an utter disaster for Israel - the next couple years will be great for the Israeli right, but in the long-term it could seriously hurt Israel's support in the US. Israel's relationship with the Diaspora is already rather delicate, since the Haredi parties have disproportionate power in the government and have used it to carve out all sorts of special privileges for themselves while relegating non-Orthodox Jews to second-class status, and Netanyahu's repeated attempts to turn foreign Jews into unpaid envoys for his foreign policy have been causing concern in the Diaspora.

I don't think this take holds up on a few levels. We're in for four years of Trump, and then he'll probably lose to a generic R or a generic D. None of those possibilities, especially given the makeup of Congress, are likely to enact any sort of consequences on Likud.

Secondly, this notion of a growing dichotomy is not really true. There is a left wing contingent, ranging from J Street to BDS supporters, who are increasingly loud. There's no evidence however that they're growing in number however. The only consistent demographic trend among American Jewry is the middle is disappearing, as they are becoming either increasingly disengaged, secular, and disinterested (as opposed to hostile) in anything Jewish. Or on the other side, the Modern Orthodox dutifully have 3-4 children and the Haredim don't believe in birth control at all.

This is also in the context of Israel having a Likud government for 7 years. Having the left or center in place, even without significant policy changes, would lead to a lot more sympathetic coverage internationally.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Feral Integral posted:

I can neither confirm nor deny that.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Feral Integral posted:

Yeah they've been working with the Pakistanis for years - I wouldn't be surprised if they have access to WMDs.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Neither the Palestinian Authority nor Hamas possess nuclear weapons that I am aware of, and trust me, they would flaunt them if they had them. This is the first I've heard that someone actually believes this. Where is this coming from?

shrike82 posted:

Yeah they've been working with the Pakistanis for years - I wouldn't be surprised if they have access to WMDs.

Well that kinda answered your question

Lol if u dont think Israel would have used WMDs in Palestine as cause for an actual all out war if there was a shred of evidence pointing towards that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Don't forget that Gaza will be unlivable by 2020, so that's a third of the Palestinian population who are guaranteed not to make it out of Trump's presidency alive.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Pretty sure gaza is unliveable right now, the whole 2020 thing is just a way to make it appear as though there's some support net in place for all those people or anyone other than unrwa/palestinian diaspora cares.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Feral Integral posted:

Pakistan, an entirely different country in an entirely different place, has nuclear weapons. Palestine doesn't even have drinkable water.

Kim Jong Il posted:

I don't think this take holds up on a few levels. We're in for four years of Trump, and then he'll probably lose to a generic R or a generic D. None of those possibilities, especially given the makeup of Congress, are likely to enact any sort of consequences on Likud.

Secondly, this notion of a growing dichotomy is not really true. There is a left wing contingent, ranging from J Street to BDS supporters, who are increasingly loud. There's no evidence however that they're growing in number however. The only consistent demographic trend among American Jewry is the middle is disappearing, as they are becoming either increasingly disengaged, secular, and disinterested (as opposed to hostile) in anything Jewish. Or on the other side, the Modern Orthodox dutifully have 3-4 children and the Haredim don't believe in birth control at all.

This is also in the context of Israel having a Likud government for 7 years. Having the left or center in place, even without significant policy changes, would lead to a lot more sympathetic coverage internationally.

It will grow if Trump's Israel ambassador keeps declaring publicly that Jews who don't support Israel aren't Jewish. The Dems had a tough fight to keep pro-Palestine stuff out of the party platform in 2016, and Trump is going to burn Dem support for Israel right down.

American Jews are already overwhelmingly secular, non-Orthodox, left-leaning, and Democratic-voting. Orthodox and Haredi Jewish communities are growing faster, but they're much smaller, and have significant problems fitting into American society. Also, while the Modern Orthodox are super-pro-Israel, Haredi Jews are only slightly more pro-Israel than Conservative Jews, and their views on most social issues are so far to the right that they largely shut themselves out of national politics anyway.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What is this dumb poo poo about Obama trying to hack the Israeli election "just like the Russians did to America" that the nuts on my Facebook are posting because I can't remember a drat thing about something like that

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rscott posted:

What is this dumb poo poo about Obama trying to hack the Israeli election "just like the Russians did to America" that the nuts on my Facebook are posting because I can't remember a drat thing about something like that

If anything it was the opposite, with Republicans allowing Netanyahu to give a speech to the Two Houses of Congress weeks before Israeli election day.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

They're a bit late on the election business..

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rscott posted:

That accusation is a few years old. As I recall, the main basis of the accusation is that the US government once gave grant money to an Israeli non-profit that later (after the grant expired and the money was gone) backed Netanyahu's opponents in an election, or something like that.

There's no real reason for it to come up now, though, since the last Israeli election was a couple years ago. Only thing I can imagine is Netanyahu trying to spite Obama and reach out a friendly hand to Trump.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Obama clearly favored Herzog and the Republicans clearly favored Netanyahu. There is a long history going back to the 90s of American influence in Israeli campaigns on both sides. What's up for debate was whether this was personal for Obama due to Netanyahu's repeated snubs and favoritism of Romney, or just trying to put his thumb on the scale like Bill Clinton did.

Main Paineframe posted:

It will grow if Trump's Israel ambassador keeps declaring publicly that Jews who don't support Israel aren't Jewish. The Dems had a tough fight to keep pro-Palestine stuff out of the party platform in 2016, and Trump is going to burn Dem support for Israel right down.

American Jews are already overwhelmingly secular, non-Orthodox, left-leaning, and Democratic-voting. Orthodox and Haredi Jewish communities are growing faster, but they're much smaller, and have significant problems fitting into American society. Also, while the Modern Orthodox are super-pro-Israel, Haredi Jews are only slightly more pro-Israel than Conservative Jews, and their views on most social issues are so far to the right that they largely shut themselves out of national politics anyway.

I don't think it will. It's a community that's largely disengaged, they're not hysterically reading Forward. The average Jewish American is something like a 55 year old Hillary Clinton supporter with moderate views. In fact, there are quite a lot of really partisan D Jews who are also rabidly Zionist. Everyone has an aunt like Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Left-leaning doesn't mean rabidly drinking the Sanders kool aid, in fact they were definitively against him. It's certainly a very progressive group on issues like gay rights, but not so much on economics (more than anything they want Bill Clinton style subservience to the middle class) and definitely foreign policy.

I wasn't trying to imply that the Haredim are Zionist, but they are largely Republican. They only vote D when it's going to be a landslide or they can horsetrade their votes for kick backs, as often happens in NY politics. Conservative Jews are a fair bit more Zionist, but in comparison the Modern Orthodox aren't that different from Evangelicals.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, after the Amona settlers rejected previous offers from the Israeli government, the Knesset stayed up all night to put together a deal for the demolition of Amona that the settlers were finally willing to accept, just barely a week before the High Court's deadline. The government will confiscate a plot of land right next to Amona and pay to put half the settlement's residents in mobile homes there until a more permanent settlement can be built. The remaining residents will be temporarily relocated to another settlement at the government's expense until permanent housing for them can be found. In addition, the government will pay to build that permanent housing for them, and will also pay them about a million shekels ($260,000) per person in no-strings-attached cash.

The total cost of the offer is about 140 million shekels. On the same day that the plan was offered, the cabinet also suddenly offered and passed a proposal to cut the government budget by two percent, or 1.2 billion shekels, with that money instead going to Haredi education, the Amona relocation deal, and a couple of other things that the coalition has passed but not paid for. This seems to causing some resentment, as quite a few political figures seem sour that the coalition is cutting the budgets of every government ministry - including the Ministries of Health, Education, and Public Safety - in the name of austerity while giving a billion shekels to Haredi religious schools and a hundred million shekels to bribe the Amona settlers to leave peacefully.

Even then, though, a peaceful Amona deal is not assured. Although the hilltop youth who had gathered to resist the evacuation seem to be dispersing, there are still two potential stumbling blocks for the deal. The first is that although the government claims the plot they plan to put the evacuees on is of unknown ownership and therefore eligible to be seized by the state, anti-settlement NGOs claim that they've found the legal owner of the land, and therefore the government can't declare it "absentee" and revert its ownership back to the state. The second is that the government will not be able to carry out the deal before the Dec 25th deadline for Amona's evacuation, and therefore it needs to convince the court to grant an extension...but the only reason the Dec 25 deadline is even a concern in the first place is because the court stopped granting extensions, because the government has been using them to delay the evacuation for years.

Kim Jong Il posted:

I don't think it will. It's a community that's largely disengaged, they're not hysterically reading Forward. The average Jewish American is something like a 55 year old Hillary Clinton supporter with moderate views. In fact, there are quite a lot of really partisan D Jews who are also rabidly Zionist. Everyone has an aunt like Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Left-leaning doesn't mean rabidly drinking the Sanders kool aid, in fact they were definitively against him. It's certainly a very progressive group on issues like gay rights, but not so much on economics (more than anything they want Bill Clinton style subservience to the middle class) and definitely foreign policy.

I wasn't trying to imply that the Haredim are Zionist, but they are largely Republican. They only vote D when it's going to be a landslide or they can horsetrade their votes for kick backs, as often happens in NY politics. Conservative Jews are a fair bit more Zionist, but in comparison the Modern Orthodox aren't that different from Evangelicals.

All I'm saying is that American Jewish support for Zionism after a couple of years of Friedman. They may not obsessively read Forward, but it's going to be harder to stay ignorant when an Arutz Sheva writer is literally the US ambassador to Israel.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
A new front in the war on Christmas:
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.760284

quote:

After Rabbi Elad Dokow calls tree an 'affront to Jewish identity on campus,' Technion says in response that it 'allows students from all religions to express themselves with respect and tolerance.'
Rabbi Elad Dokow of the Technion issued a prohibition against Jewish students entering the university's student union due to the Christmas tree that has been put up in the building.

“The Christmas tree is a religious symbol – not Christian, but even more problematic – pagan,”Dokow wrote in a question-and-answer section on the religious Srugim website. “Halakha clearly states that whenever it is possible to circumvent and not pass through a place where there is any kind of idolatry, this must be done. So one should not enter the student union if it's not necessary to do so.”

The Technion responded that Dokay had expressed his opinion on his personal Facebook page and his words "expressed his personal opinion and not that of the Technion."

The institution, it declared, was determined to continue being a perfect example for tolerance and coexistence in Israeli society."

Dokay said that he wrote the prohibition “in wake of the student union’s affront to the Jewish identity on campus, by placing a Christmas tree (if only there were a menorah of that size)… in the public space (the student union) and giving a place to religious Christian identity in the heart of the Technion.”

Asked if it was permissible to buy food or eat in the student union, the rabbi replied, “Unfortunately, I do not see any way to permit this, especially since there is a problem with uttering God’s name and reciting blessings in a place where such problematic things are found.”

his objection, the rabbi wrote, “This is an anti-Jewish and not just an anti-'religious’ symbol. Is it conceivable that in the name of some type of liberty we would let students declare that Jerusalem does not belong to the Jewish people as was done by UNESCO? Must we accept everything without reservation or limit? In the name of acceptance, would we sanction a Spanish food festival that prominently featured pork (I served as a rabbi in Madrid and that is the national food there)?”

The rabbi also wrote it would not be sufficient if a menorah were also placed there next to the tree, because “it would be paired with something that represents the total antithesis of the Hasmoneans’ entire struggle.” Dokow added, “I would have expected something different from an academic institution – an approach that is more scientific and intellectually and ethically thoughtful.”

Asked whether freedom of worship extended to all citizens, the rabbi answered, “This is not about freedom of worship. It’s about the public space of the campus. This is the world’s only Jewish state. And it has a role to be a ‘light unto the nations’ and not to uncritically embrace every idea.” ( :ironicat: )

"Even before the Technion opened it gates about 100 years ago, its founders stated that the institution they hoped to build would be open to all, irrespective of religion, ethnicity and gender," the Technion said in its response.

"As a result, all Technion students study side-by-side today an in full equality – Jewish students, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Druze, Circassions, religious and secular. They are in deep and constant dialogue that is open and tolerant and serves as a perfect example for tolerance and coexistence in Israeli society.

"The Technion students union also believes that the Technion has to be open to students of all religions and communities. Thus, student representatives from all social, religious and cultural affiliations sit together on the management of the student union.

"The union, it goes without saying, celebrates all the Jewish festivals and, concurrently, it allows students from other religions to express themselves with respect and tolerance. The different festivals are celebrated in a range of ways, including, in this case, a Christmas tree beside the Hanukkah menorah.

"Just as Haifa celebrated the annual "Festival of Festivals" and other cities around the world have public ceremonies in which the Hanukkah candles are lit, the students union wanted to give voice to all religions together, with the emphasis on connection and not division.

"It's also worth mentioning that hundreds of students from all over the world study int the Technion's international school, and they too should be respected.

"We are determined to continue being a perfect example for tolerance and coexistence in Israeli society."

Technion student Peter Hana said that the decision to decorate the student union with a Christmas tree and Santa hats was reached by a number of students, and was done in order to generate a festive atmosphere. A Hanukkah lamp was also put in place in honor of Hanukkah.

"An absolute majority of students, as well as management and the dean, expressed their support for the initiative, and only a handful of students and the rabbi himself chose to come out against it. We're pleased with the great sympathy shown and the position of the management, which welcomed the initiative and came out against any negative expressions on the matter," he added.

In a message to Technion President Prof. Peretz Lavie, MK Yousef Jabareen of the Joint List argued that the rabbi’s words constitute incitement and that he should therefore be fired. “There’s no need to elaborate on the gravity of these statements, and the serious offense to the Technicon’s Arab students and to Israeli Arabs in general. These statements contain clear incitement to racism, in violation of the law, and therefore also constitute a serious criminal offense,” Jabareen wrote.

The MK says such statements harm the fabric of Jewish-Arab relations and thus stand in stark contradiction to the Technion’s impressive efforts over the last few years to integrate Arab students. Jabareen called for Dokow’s immediate dismissal as rabbi of the Technion synagogue. He also called on the school’s administration to denounce his statements, and to call upon students to come and partake of the cultural richness at the student union.

People have been nicely melting down on the student's facbook page all day over this goddamn tree. My take is that this rabbi is just trying generate some headlines and maybe get a pat on the back from Bennet before moving on to a more political roll.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 21, 2016

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Light unto nations? Are you kidding me? The country that bought back the apartheid state?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
normally for a work of this calibre i'd charge three hundred dollars. however i am a master and my structural integrity is great. i am reinforced with golden archways and concrete struts. my ornate barricades spiral down to meet the handsome river mid-flow into the sea. at its fork lies the delta, the alpha and the omega: my vagina, broad and forgiving, its supple valleys laced with deepset springs and aquifers. i begin to dance and my naked undulations form the characters of an ancient script. my cuneiform rear end. it says the time of false prophets is coming to an end. it says the television is laced with the poison of trapdoor spiders. it says the old wise callings of the dark are returning. it says the flavour of the pomegranate has never changed in several hundred thousand years of evolution. so help me this voice comes through me and i'm helpless in its embrace. it says the looking-glass towers will molt into silvery waterfalls. their debris will flood streets. the driftwood of burnt limbs. and it says the black smoke that will blot out the sun is the burning of stone - the burning of stone in a flame that can burn stone. sunken ruins are all that remain of the metropoli. democracy's cradle a grave. the desert and ocean fighting for dominance, yin and yang, water and sand, wildfires eating what's left of the trees as the rivers dry up and the grasses die of thirst. you idiots. look at you fighting over the true name when you know the Name can't be pronounced, can't be written, can't be recorded in the human mind, can't be allegorised or metaphorisised - so there is no real book, there is no true theory, the mystery is absolute and nobody is right or wrong. you fools. we're all heading for the edge of the cliff and not one of you can look past your pride over pure human superficial concerns long enough to change our direction. you fools, we're all going to die, white and black, jew and muslim, because that is what is foreseen and that is what shall be. amen

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
here's how it begins. violence in turkey, war in syria. you know all that. then suddenly, an attack! unexpected but not surprising, in a volatile zone.. what happens then? calm peaceful authoritative america steps in to force a ceasefire? no! america takes sides! but we are all interconnected and suddenly the whole world is at war. it happens that quickly and that simply. the subtleties by which world war is triggered are beyond our comprehension - immaculate engineering of fate. does that mean all world wars are divinely ordained? gently caress if i know but i'm very frightened about the upcoming one

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it will be a coalition of countries against the united states, i can tell you that much

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 4, 2018

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
be quiet you idiot. you'll diminish in the face of ages. in less than a century nobody will even remember your name.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Friendly Factory posted:

how is your shtick not over yet

Alcoholism i think

What would Ariel say? Not much because he is dead and spent many years as a vegetable

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Friendly Factory posted:

how is your shtick not over yet

Silence the unbelievers.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

man, shut the gently caress up.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ultramega posted:

man, shut the gently caress up.

She's the best poster in the thread.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

She's the best poster in the thread.

It's starting to wear a little thin, since it happens so often relative to the actual on-topic posting.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
we live in troubled times

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
It's cool when I see 20+ new posts in a thread and I go "wow this thread is normally pretty quiet, what happened now" and like, 90% of the time it's Avshalom's dumb gimmick posting.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you'll be thankful for it someday, you blind ingrate

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

DrProsek posted:

It's cool when I see 20+ new posts in a thread and I go "wow this thread is normally pretty quiet, what happened now" and like, 90% of the time it's Avshalom's dumb gimmick posting.

I'd rather read Avshalom's posts than read up on some new atrocity that no one's going to do anything about.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
so be it then you wretches, you jew-haters, you ugly little men, you sons of pigs, you whose mothers slept with pigs, you whose fathers slept with pigs, you whose sisters have the back end and whose brothers have the front end of pigs, you sentient puddles of pork lard slopped over decomposing computer chairs in the wan light of screens, you who ignore the beam in your own eye as you grunt "the jews! the jews!" and slaver over the age-old myth of the blood libel, the butchered christian baby, the poisoned well, the dead messiah. you goy trash. you lumpen and misshapen bottom feeders. you disgust me and i am through with you, for i am a hot fat slut and you are nothing but a ship of fools. i denounce you in the name of ariel and the innumerable names of g-d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
amen