Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

We got $1 lottery tickets as Christmas presents. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXuazYI_YU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

We got jelly of the month clubbed with a party no one wanted. Drank more than I have in 20 years in recompense. :smug:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

We got $1 lottery tickets as Christmas presents. :downs:

I think that beats my "best" bonus stories, both from the same company.

1. Everyone got a $100 bill in a Christmas card. The card said "note: this is considered taxable income and a corresponding amount will be withheld from your next paycheck". It's true, but really, that's what you print in the card? Merry loving Christmas lol. The executives were notoriously insensitive and out of touch, so this was par for the course.

2. Topping that, next year everyone got a pair of tickets to the local minor league hockey team. Face value was like $20 total. Also it cost the company nothing because we advertised a ton with the team and an assload of tickets was part of the Gold Sponsor Tier or whatever. (We did also get access to a fancy suite with free food and booze a couple times a year which was fun)

Both of those were super cynical. But at least they had guaranteed tangible value.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 15, 2016

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

backlog grooming
I just want to say "STOP" every time I hear new lingo like this. Stop creating 20 dollar words for 50 cent concepts. (I know you didn't create it yourself, just sayin')

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 15, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I just want to say "STOP" every time I hear new lingo like this. Stop creating 20 dollar words for 50 cent concepts. (I know you didn't create it yourself, just sayin')

I wouldn't consider it new lingo. It's been part of agile sprint lingo as long as I've been aware of the system. And honestly the concept needs a term. It's not something you would do in some other methodologies.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hughlander posted:

I wouldn't consider it new lingo. It's been part of agile sprint lingo as long as I've been aware of the system. And honestly the concept needs a term. It's not something you would do in some other methodologies.

What's wrong with calling it 'reorganization'? Hell, you could just call it refactoring and I think most people in this industry would just get it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Munkeymon posted:

What's wrong with calling it 'reorganization'? Hell, you could just call it refactoring and I think most people in this industry would just get it.
The first one is inaccurate and the second is completely the wrong concept.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

As was posted on the previous page, it's called refinement now.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Vulture Culture posted:

The first one is inaccurate and the second is completely the wrong concept.

Not to me on both counts :shrug:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Munkeymon posted:

Not to me on both counts :shrug:

Yes, that's why it's being mentioned. Those terms don't fit at all.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

e: nevermind - semantic arguments over non-formal languages are super pointless

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I wouldn't have the slightest clue what you meant if you told me we were going to refactor the backlog.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
you guys are talking about prioritizing tasks to current goals, up to and including dropping tasks; right? :munch:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It looks like as a result of our codeathon (more of a talkathon really), our current stories/direction are gonna change completely, so the point might even be moot.

I randomly got drafted as our team's "team leader" and tried to coach another lead through exposing a React component as a .js served over a CDN or something, and completely failed because it cannot be done without actually pulling in a React component as an NPM package. It's not a plug-and-play solution and I'm pretty sure I am not good at my job at all gently caress gently caress gently caress.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Javascript is really stupid and nobody is good at it

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Just kludge something together; chances are nobody's going to give a poo poo until a new dev comes in who will want to rewrite it in the newest framework of the month anyway.

Only half joking.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I randomly got drafted as our team's "team leader"

Random or dilbert principal?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Che Delilas posted:

Just kludge something together; chances are nobody's going to give a poo poo until a new dev comes in who will want to rewrite it in the newest framework of the month anyway.

Only half joking.

We aren't using a framework, we're basically taking a microservices approach and dispatching to different web views based on nginx url matching so each team can develop completely independently, and so we can all use different tech that allows us to turn the header, footer, content, calculators, etc. into drop-in components that we can include in pages written through a CMS.

Wait, what do you mean that's not what microservices are????

Hughlander posted:

Random or dilbert principal?

Honestly? Probably. :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We decided on a team name and a team quote. We are Tools, and we Get poo poo Done.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Pollyanna posted:

We aren't using a framework, we're basically taking a microservices approach and dispatching to different web views based on nginx url matching so each team can develop completely independently, and so we can all use different tech that allows us to turn the header, footer, content, calculators, etc. into drop-in components that we can include in pages written through a CMS.

find a new job. that sounds horrible

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the talent deficit posted:

find a new job. that sounds horrible

Yeah no it's a joke. We haven't actually proven we can do it, just that we like the vague idea of it. All of our time spent yesterday was trying to find a piece of tech to work with and we were unable to settle on something. I was the only person that achieved anything of use. Within our work cell, anyway.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, what do you mean that's not what microservices are????

I'm imagining that one team is building on Jquery, another is using AngularJS, another is using React, and another is using Jquery, but has a completely different way of using it than the first one and so on.

Fake edit: Misread the next post, this hasn't happened. Yet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

We are Tools, and we Get poo poo On By Management.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HardDiskD posted:

I'm imagining that one team is building on Jquery, another is using AngularJS, another is using React, and another is using Jquery, but has a completely different way of using it than the first one and so on.

Fake edit: Misread the next post, this hasn't happened. Yet.

Replace jQuery with xtag, and yes, basically. The way it's been explained to me is that standalone apps are xtag applications that import React components not as Node modules, but as basic JavaScript web components (I don't know what that means) published as HTML files, which caused some confusion when I was asked to create a Node module for a React component and then presented said Node module for a React component. :psyduck:

I don't know. I'm not very convinced of this approach. Maybe it's just how front-end dev is, maybe our approach is flawed, IDK. All I know is that it's probably time to :yotj: after I get my yearly bonus.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 16, 2016

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Pollyanna posted:

and so we can all use different tech that allows us to turn the header, footer, content, calculators, etc. into drop-in components that we can include in pages written through a CMS.

So basically you are recreating the asp.net webform paradigm except as a proxy layer between a your web front-end front-end and your web front-end back-end. Look like a very nice clusterfuck to develop.

Have a good headache ;)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pollyanna posted:

We are Tools, and we GET poo poo dONe

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

With that attitude you should actually be Mushrooms, fed poo poo and kept in darkness.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

With that attitude you should actually be Mushrooms, fed poo poo and kept in darkness.

:drat:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

microservices
I used to work with That Guy (everybody works with That Guy) and I was having some downtime issues with my stuff. He messages me and starts complaining about the downtime (and rightly so, downtime is bad):

"I've been learning some things. Your architecture sucks rear end. You need to re-architect everything. <Links to microservice article>"

Microservices will totally help with this problem you know nothing about, nailed it!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I once had a guy, new guy, say that he implemented a solution for a thing over the weekend that was projected to take a month or two to do.

When I asked him how it tied into other, important core parts of the app that he was aware of he was like "whats that? nah it doesn't"

Ugh, loving guy was like a jehovah witness of "the best way" to do anything. He was puritanical in his proselytization

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

KoRMaK posted:

I once had a guy, new guy, say that he implemented a solution for a thing over the weekend that was projected to take a month or two to do.

When I asked him how it tied into other, important core parts of the app that he was aware of he was like "whats that? nah it doesn't"

Ugh, loving guy was like a jehovah witness of "the best way" to do anything. He was puritanical in his proselytization

This is a big reason why I don't try and implement sweeping changes right out of the gate. There's always something I'm missing.

I used to work with That Guy (everybody works with That Guy) and I was having some downtime issues with my stuff. He messages me and starts complaining about the downtime (and rightly so, downtime is bad):

"I've been learning some things. Your architecture sucks rear end. You need to re-architect everything. <Links to microservice article>"

Microservices will totally help with this problem you know nothing about, nailed it!

At least That Guy understood what microservices were and why you'd use them. We just seem to use something vaguely inspired by them and claim we're top tech because of it. :psyduck: Whatever, not my problem.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 18, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I work tangentially with another team a continent away and it's interesting in different approaches we take. Here we have 50 provisioned nodes in AWS for QA and dev. Need to test something, sign out a node, deploy to it and test it. There, one backend serving for all possible branches that design, QA and dev will use. Hope you don't change anything too major!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

That Guy also did something similar. On a Friday evening, he sent out a "spec" for a custom protocol that would run over TCP, sending log messages from one component to another.

We come in Monday morning, and he has implemented his precious protocol on his side, and is now demanding we implement it on our side. My boss and I asked what was so bad about logging to a file? Why send log messages over a TCP loopback?

"File logging is lovely, and we are not going to have lovely stuff in this project. My logging protocol has checksums, retries, error correction, etc".

Apply your own checksums and retries on a TCP socket looped back to localhost, and then write it to disk. So much better than just writing it to disk to begin with!

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 18, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That Guy also did something similar. On a Friday evening, he sent out a "spec" for a custom protocol that would run over TCP, sending log messages from one component to another.

We come in Monday morning, and he has implemented his precious protocol on his side, and is now demanding we implement it on our side. My boss and I asked what was so bad about logging to a file? Why send log messages over a TCP loopback?

"File logging is lovely, and we are not going to have lovely stuff in this project. My logging protocol has checksums, retries, error correction, etc".

Apply your own checksums and retries on a TCP socket looped back to localhost, and then write it to disk. So much better than just writing it to disk to begin with!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Also want to mention that The guy in mine took the opportunity to share what he did in the sprint meeting amidst me talking with the IT Manager about the timeline for this thing and it just had this subtext of him trying to one up me and broadcast it to anyone that would listen.

My response was "oh cool, I'd like to take a look at it and see if there's anything that can improve the current implementation"

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The usual problems with file logging aren't bad enough that you should resort to writing your own network-based logging conventions unless you're stupidly using your log as a streamed coredump or a diff of memory contents every microsecond. For application logs, just make sure that it can work with rsyslog or fluentd and that logrotate doesn't barf on it during fairly high write activity to the file and you will be well in the clear.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

necrobobsledder posted:

The usual problems with file logging aren't bad enough that you should resort to writing your own network-based logging conventions unless you're stupidly using your log as a streamed coredump or a diff of memory contents every microsecond. For application logs, just make sure that it can work with rsyslog or fluentd and that logrotate doesn't barf on it during fairly high write activity to the file and you will be well in the clear.
Or just use one of the hundreds of well-tested log frameworks that exist for basically every language you might ever write production code in.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I see you've met my coworker, who views the world in two buckets:

1) things he wrote himself, which are cool and good

2) all other code, which is worthless garbage written by idiots for idiots and you should be fired for using it because it's awful

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Docjowles posted:

I see you've met my coworker, who views the world in two buckets:

1) things he wrote himself, which are cool and good

2) all other code, which is worthless garbage written by idiots for idiots and you should be fired for using it because it's awful

I'm that guy, but in my defense I write javascript for a living.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pollyanna posted:

:psyduck: Whatever, not my problem.

Oh cool it's not often I see someone attain Zen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with microservices? Sounds like a good way to end up with an incoherent, fragmented codebase