Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Dillbag posted:

Read the last five pages of the thread! Service is good on Telus' network but there is zero technical support by phone or in-person. The only way to get help is to either email them or leave a message on their message board and hope someone gets back to you within 48 hours.

I had a problem last week where all my text messages were returning a message failed error, but people were receiving my texts, sometimes in multiple. It sorted itself out the next day but I have received zero response from tech support about the issue. Not even a cursory check up.

Price is great and service is good, but just be aware of the lack of support.

Gotcha. I'll buy a 30 (or maybe even 10) day plan and see how it works for me. Worth a try at least. I've never really used wireless tech support, so if the service is good or even decent I'm optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Wow, Rogers actually sent me a cheque for $40 because I cancelled my plan mid-cycle. I wasn't even gonna try to get that money back.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

To follow up: I ordered a sim from Public Mobile. It arrived promptly, but when I tried to activate it there was an error that rendered my entire account with them inoperable. I contacted their moderators and have not heard back for 48 hours whatsoever. Long story short, it's probably not worth this to save the ~$10-20 per month unless you're really pinching pennies--their service is terrible.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah seems like the response time for issues is on the order of weeks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My mom can only afford one phone bill, and if she's only going to have one phone she'd prefer a landline to a cell phone. Fair enough, she's old and that's what she wants. (Even though a landline actually costs $10/month more than my chatr plan, whatever mom, you do you.)

She used to carry a little flip phone for emergencies. It was a Telus pay-as-you-go thing, and if I got the $100 (400 minutes) top up it wouldn't expire for a year. Good enough. Then outside screen cracked. No biggie, you need to open it to dial anyway. And the speaker started getting really crackly, but it's only for emergencies so she didn't care. Final nail in the coffin was when Telus discontinued supporting that band . . . or something. She got a message that the phone wouldn't work after June of this year. She didn't want a new phone, so that was the end of that.

This week Victoria got a bit of snow, the sidewalks are a bit icy in places, and I started worrying about her being out there without a phone. So I looked for deals. Oh, hey, the 7-11 phone thing lets you buy top ups as low as $25 that last for 365 days. Score! http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates Except 7-11 doesn't exactly scream quality to me.

TLDR: Anyone have any experience with 7-11 Speakout phone service? Any terrible secrets I should know about? In Victoria, BC, if that matters.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I use 7-11 and its works as described. Its all running on Rogers' network, which is far better than Wind.

Drawbacks:
they eat up a $1.25 service fee off your balance each month, which isn't much I guess but their online customer service portal is crap. There are no usage reports available, for example. They also do lovely cheap things like if you cut off a $10 30-day unlimited text plan before your renewal, it cuts off immediately, not at the end of 30 days. Little nickel and dime-y stuff like that. Oh, and no receiving MMS at all with out one of their awful data plans. You'll pay for all phonecalls in and out. If your mom wants to use the phone to make call she can run through that credit quickly, particularly on a call to the US without pre-activating a $2 "LD Rate Calling Plan" on the crappy 7-11 website.

Pros
I use them as a $11.25 per month unlimited US-Canada texting plan, and for that its ok. That might cover intentional texts too but I've not sent any yet. I'd not recommend it for anything other than that limited scenario or for use with a phone to keep on hand in case of emergency. It would work well for that too if you pay them nothing aside from the $25-365 day top up and whatever they are charging for the sim.

Oh, and setting up your phone requires you to find type in your IMEI on the 711 website, not an easy task necessarily if your mom isn't technically inclined.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shadow puppet of a posted:

I use 7-11 and its works as described. Its all running on Rogers' network, which is far better than Wind.

Drawbacks:
they eat up a $1.25 service fee off your balance each month, which isn't much I guess but their online customer service portal is crap. There are no usage reports available, for example. They also do lovely cheap things like if you cut off a $10 30-day unlimited text plan before your renewal, it cuts off immediately, not at the end of 30 days. Little nickel and dime-y stuff like that. Oh, and no receiving MMS at all with out one of their awful data plans. You'll pay for all phonecalls in and out. If your mom wants to use the phone to make call she can run through that credit quickly, particularly on a call to the US without pre-activating a $2 "LD Rate Calling Plan" on the crappy 7-11 website.

Pros
I use them as a $11.25 per month unlimited US-Canada texting plan, and for that its ok. That might cover intentional texts too but I've not sent any yet. I'd not recommend it for anything other than that limited scenario or for use with a phone to keep on hand in case of emergency. It would work well for that too if you pay them nothing aside from the $25-365 day top up and whatever they are charging for the sim.

Oh, and setting up your phone requires you to find type in your IMEI on the 711 website, not an easy task necessarily if your mom isn't technically inclined.

Cool, that's about what I expected, thanks. :)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Facebook Aunt posted:

Cool, that's about what I expected, thanks. :)

Oh and 711 is really good at supporting old bands. I'm actually using G or maybe 2G service all the time as my phone is a sad one designed for AWS.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Evis posted:

Yeah seems like the response time for issues is on the order of weeks.

To be fair they're incredibly backlogged from the million people who signed up over the past month. That would strain any support system. There is definitely a trade off with the cost but I think it's worth it when you look at the savings over time, not to mention the quality of the network.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm 3/3 for number porting with public mobile. I highly recommend verifying all information prior and filling every field including alternate phone number and notes. I even ported my mother in law over to an account in my name without issues.

Did you fill all of the fields? What time of day did you attempt to port?

But yeah, if you get put in the support queue atm you're hosed.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Greetings dudes.

I'm currently with Koodo and have been finding that their service and "Tab" plans have been going to poo poo. I'm looking to drop them, and switch. But I've been out of the smartphone game for a while- is it even possible to buy an unlocked Nexus 5X or 6P in Canada, any more (or did they kill them and force people to buy the $1000 Pixel)? I've been reading in this thread about how Public Mobile isn't too terrible, but I'm having trouble tracking down a half-decent, unlocked Android phone that isn't overpriced to hell.

Also- is it still possible to give a Saskatchewan address to a carrier when signing up so you can cash in on their cheaper plans (I live in Ontario)?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 12, 2016

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

melon cat posted:

Greetings dudes.

I'm currently with Koodo and have been finding that their service and "Tab" plans have been going to poo poo. I'm looking to drop them, and switch. But I've been out of the smartphone game for a while- is it even possible to buy an unlocked Nexus 5X or 6P in Canada, any more (or did they kill them and force people to buy the $1000 Pixel)? I've been reading in this thread about how Public Mobile isn't too terrible, but I'm having trouble tracking down a half-decent, unlocked Android phone that isn't overpriced to hell.

Also- is it still possible to give a Saskatchewan address to a carrier when signing up so you can cash in on their cheaper plans (I live in Ontario)?

The Nextbit Robin is basically a 5X in a fancy shell: https://www.nextbit.com/pages/meet-robin I've had nothing but good experiences with it, and it's on sale for $300 right now.

I think Koodo cracked down on methods to get the SK plan, but I'm not certain on that.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Also, if you think the service on koodo sucks, keep in mind it uses the telus/bell network, as does public mobile.

Rogers/Fido/Chatr all share their own network too.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

less than three posted:

The Nextbit Robin is basically a 5X in a fancy shell: https://www.nextbit.com/pages/meet-robin I've had nothing but good experiences with it, and it's on sale for $300 right now.

I think Koodo cracked down on methods to get the SK plan, but I'm not certain on that.
Hey that looks like a decent phone! Public Mobile's lack of support seems... interesting. But I've never had great support from the big three to begin with.

At this point, it looks like my two options are:

A) Public Mobile. Pay ~$300 for a Robin phone. Then $42+tax every 30 days for unlimited talk and text + 1 GB data/month
B) Corporate plan through Telus. $0 for a Pixel on a 2 year contract. Then $52+tax per month for 300 minutes talk time, unlimited text + 1GB data/month

I'll have to sleep on it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Nextbit Robin is CAD ~$225 at https://www.bhphotovideo.com. No tax, and free shipping.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Public Mobile still has the 90 day, 6 gig, unlimited calling and texting, $120 plan, which saves a couple bucks and doubles your data.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

My mom can only afford one phone bill, and if she's only going to have one phone she'd prefer a landline to a cell phone. Fair enough, she's old and that's what she wants. (Even though a landline actually costs $10/month more than my chatr plan, whatever mom, you do you.)

She used to carry a little flip phone for emergencies. It was a Telus pay-as-you-go thing, and if I got the $100 (400 minutes) top up it wouldn't expire for a year. Good enough. Then outside screen cracked. No biggie, you need to open it to dial anyway. And the speaker started getting really crackly, but it's only for emergencies so she didn't care. Final nail in the coffin was when Telus discontinued supporting that band . . . or something. She got a message that the phone wouldn't work after June of this year. She didn't want a new phone, so that was the end of that.

This week Victoria got a bit of snow, the sidewalks are a bit icy in places, and I started worrying about her being out there without a phone. So I looked for deals. Oh, hey, the 7-11 phone thing lets you buy top ups as low as $25 that last for 365 days. Score! http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates Except 7-11 doesn't exactly scream quality to me.

TLDR: Anyone have any experience with 7-11 Speakout phone service? Any terrible secrets I should know about? In Victoria, BC, if that matters.

There is also this http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-pay-you-go-120-year-unlimited-text-weekend-evening-calling-1949777/ which has unlimited evenings and weekends calling of top of being an emergency phone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

iv46vi posted:

There is also this http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-pay-you-go-120-year-unlimited-text-weekend-evening-calling-1949777/ which has unlimited evenings and weekends calling of top of being an emergency phone.

Neat, thanks.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

iv46vi posted:

Another cheap option is the Fido 3gb tablet data plan, pop the card into a phone and use voip/data only

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Another cheap option is the Fido 3gb tablet data plan, pop the card into a phone and use voip/data only

Just a hunch, but I think his landline-favouring mother may do better with a Speakout phone, than some VoIP Rube Goldberg machine.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Lexicon posted:

Just a hunch, but I think his landline-favouring mother may do better with a Speakout phone, than some VoIP Rube Goldberg machine.

If they are dead set on having a separate landline and emergency phone I'd agree. However if cost is the driving factor here the Fido plan is likely cheaper than having a POTS line and an emergency cellphone. It really depends on their circumstances if the option is right for them.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mister Macys posted:

The Nextbit Robin is CAD ~$225 at https://www.bhphotovideo.com. No tax, and free shipping.
Just coming back to this. The Robin looks decent, but reviews online indicate that it's battery life isn't that great. That's a problem since I have long commutes and spend a lot of time on the road. Any suggestions for a smartphone that's similar to the Robin (or Nexus 5), but with better battery life?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 15, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

melon cat posted:

Just coming back to this. The Robin looks decent, but reviews online indicate that it's battery life isn't that great. That's be a problem since I have long commutes and spend a lot of time on the road. Any suggestions for a smartphone that's similar to the Robin (or Nexus 5), but with better battery life?

Power banks are incredibly cheap, plentiful, small, and xmas is coming.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Koodo QC - Unlimited Talk & Text + 8 GB for 55$/Month :staredog:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Koodo QC - Unlimited Talk & Text + 8 GB for 55$/Month :staredog:

gently caress canadian telecom

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
So... all my credits expire as of this month. Rogers also increased everything on my old plan. I'm now paying $81 + tax on the old 6GB plan, ugh.

I think my plan now is to look for info on how to get that Koodo QC plan through a similar loophole to the Manitoba one. The other alternative is to get a dual-sim phone and do a tablet data plan + phone plan from Fido. Canadian telecoms loving suck.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Rogers delenda est

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Constellation I posted:

So... all my credits expire as of this month. Rogers also increased everything on my old plan. I'm now paying $81 + tax on the old 6GB plan, ugh.

I think my plan now is to look for info on how to get that Koodo QC plan through a similar loophole to the Manitoba one. The other alternative is to get a dual-sim phone and do a tablet data plan + phone plan from Fido. Canadian telecoms loving suck.

Here you go

quote:

QC loophole is alive. If you've changed to QC number, wait for first billing cycle and change plans via self-serve.

Calling Koodo CSR to change plans only applies to MB/SK. I'm glad some of you had success but it's not always the case; entirely dependent on whether the CSR will bother verifying your address.

Bottom line, choose QC if you want it to be all self-driven. You're paying $6/mon more vs MB/SK. If that's a lot of money for you (no offence), then choose MB and try your luck by calling in as stated above.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Anyone know if it's possible to switch to the QC plan without changing to a QC number if you're already a Koodo customer? Checked the self serve and did a cursory google and came up dry.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You probably need to read this thread http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1868676-How-to-get-the-48-Manitoba-plan-anywhere-in-Canada

I'd imagine this involves setting up a new account with a QC number, waiting for a billing cycle and porting in your number from self serve

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Risky Bisquick posted:

You probably need to read this thread http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1868676-How-to-get-the-48-Manitoba-plan-anywhere-in-Canada

I'd imagine this involves setting up a new account with a QC number, waiting for a billing cycle and porting in your number from self serve

Can you port from Koodo to Koodo?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I haven't personally done this, but I don't see why not. Worst case I dunno you port to speakout or some voip and back

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You can. You'll need to do it via phone customer service however.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Think they'd give me gruff since I'm porting my Ontario number from the Manitoba plan to the Quebec plan?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yes. You have to have an appropriate number to do that. Some cs agents might give you poo poo about an address too but just hang up and call again to get a different agent.

Switch to a qc number, wait for the cycle, change plan, then call and ask for your old number back.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Zigmidge posted:

Yes. You have to have an appropriate number to do that. Some cs agents might give you poo poo about an address too but just hang up and call again to get a different agent.

Switch to a qc number, wait for the cycle, change plan, then call and ask for your old number back.

Have you done this? I don't think that can be done.

E: to be clear, afaik, when you do a number change the old number goes into TN purgatory for like a year until it gets recycled. You can't just "ask for it back."

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 16, 2016

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

No I made poo poo up just for the sake of it

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
My zenfone 2 ghost touch issues are getting a bit out of hand, and I'm looking for something new. I have an older 6gb plan with Rogers that i haven't really negotiated for about 4 years, and its sitting at 80 dollars or so. Whats the chance of getting a new phone through retentions without 1. Having to pay full price on a new phone (I'm looking at a pixel xl), and 2. Having to move to a new plan, or if i do have to move, getting some monthly credits so that i don't have to go up another 40 per month?

I was doing some math and the 2 year contract would actually work itself out on a pixel, but then they have me trapped at the higher monthly amount going forward after that.

The alternative is a Nexus 6p from newegg or whatnot, or a OP3+. I'm leaning toward OP3+ except who knows when they'll have 128gb.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Skeematic posted:

My zenfone 2 ghost touch issues are getting a bit out of hand, and I'm looking for something new. I have an older 6gb plan with Rogers that i haven't really negotiated for about 4 years, and its sitting at 80 dollars or so. Whats the chance of getting a new phone through retentions without 1. Having to pay full price on a new phone (I'm looking at a pixel xl), and 2. Having to move to a new plan, or if i do have to move, getting some monthly credits so that i don't have to go up another 40 per month?

I was doing some math and the 2 year contract would actually work itself out on a pixel, but then they have me trapped at the higher monthly amount going forward after that.

The alternative is a Nexus 6p from newegg or whatnot, or a OP3+. I'm leaning toward OP3+ except who knows when they'll have 128gb.

$50 [ROGERS RETENTION PLAN - PM]

quote:

My Wireless Package
Loyalty Plan w/4GB Data
Unlimited Eve & Wknd Minutes
Unlimited Weekday Minutes
Early Evening Calling from 6pm
Billed Usage-Invoice DetailsCall DisplayCall Forwarding/Call TransferVoicemail included in PlanUnlimited Canadian LDUnltd Text/Pic/Video Messages4GB Data

edit: cheap android phone so long as you dont fold the screen https://www.amazon.com/Nextbit-Robin-Factory-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B01D3Q8EGY

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Oneplus 3 is an amazing phone and probably the best bang for the buck if you're a power user on a budget. Plus for like an extra bill you get full replacement coverage for 18 months (everything other than loss, obviously).

Pixel looks great and all but that price tag is apple level stupid considering what phones sporting similar specs are going for.

Also, Koodo is pretty great and if you can get on that qc plan and port your number you'll easily save the price of a fancy new phone over a year or two.