Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

nm posted:

Well, you can, but your fear has to be reasonable, which it wasn't here.

yeah that's what I meant and poorly worded instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
e: oh well beat then.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

fortunately assault doesn't work that way

I can't just deck someone and fall back on "well, I thought he might punch me, maybe", I'd go to jail and rightly so

yes it does, you do not have to wait to get punched to defend yourself.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kazak_Hstan posted:

#1 see my post above, I'll own up to being not clear at all in the quoted post

#2 there's no way the officer in the courtroom can claim that when the defense attorney was outnumbered and unarmed

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
They just wanted to torture the attorney for winning, wtf @ the nerds in this thread trying to justify it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
in my combat experience the lawyer was about to go hogwild

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

#1 see my post above, I'll own up to being not clear at all in the quoted post

#2 there's no way the officer in the courtroom can claim that when the defense attorney was outnumbered and unarmed

I'm agnostic verging on supporting the charges being tossed, but this is simply incorrect. If you square off against a cop, it does not matter if you are unarmed and there are more of them, use of force is legitimate. A cop does not have to wait to get hit just because backup is already there. Whether that was justified in this particular case is a different question, but being 5'6", unarmed, and outnumbered does not somehow mean, as a general principle, that police cannot use force in the case of the reasonable belief of an imminent assault or active resistance to a lawful arrest.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
:bahgawd:

bro stop defending police brutality. they hosed up.

Darkman Fanpage has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Dec 16, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I'm agnostic verging on supporting the charges being tossed, but this is simply incorrect. If you square off against a cop, it does not matter if you are unarmed and there are more of them, use of force is legitimate. A cop does not have to wait to get hit just because backup is already there. Whether that was justified in this particular case is a different question, but being 5'6", unarmed, and outnumbered does not somehow mean, as a general principle, that police cannot use force in the case of the reasonable belief of an imminent assault or active resistance to a lawful arrest.

what if a judge is ordering them to stop, like, right there in that very room

private citizens also have the right to defend themselves from police overreach

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kazak_Hstan posted:

If someone is holding a weapon on you, that is a violent act and you can defend yourself.

You can't punch someone unarmed who hasn't done anything and claim "Well, their posture was threatening." That's how you get militia pointing guns at federal agents and....wait.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Baloogan posted:

They just wanted to torture the attorney for winning, wtf @ the nerds in this thread trying to justify it.

It's just one nerd, isn't it?

The rest of us are telling him that's dumb.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

:bahgawd:

bro stop defending police brutality. they hosed up.

I'm pretty clearly not.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I'm pretty clearly not.

Wrong.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

If someone is holding a weapon on you, that is a violent act and you can defend yourself.

You can't punch someone unarmed who hasn't done anything and claim "Well, their posture was threatening." That's how you get militia pointing guns at federal agents and....wait.

Yeah the "who hasn't done anything" is the operative language. If you are under the impression that you (or a cop) are powerless to do anything if someone takes a fighting stance and gets ready to hit you, I don't know what to tell you other than that you're simply incorrect. You certainly don't have to wait until someone literally points a weapon at you.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I'm pretty clearly not.

you're assuming the defense attorney took up the traditional Marquees of Queensberry stance and that simply hasn't been proven

e- the judge requesting the officers stand down actually refutes that

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

you're assuming the defense attorney took up the traditional Marquees of Queensberry stance and that simply hasn't been proven

I have no idea whether he did or not, and haven't said he did. Several people here are arguing affirmatively he absolutely did not, based on incomplete information, which is a stupid overreaction. The report says he did. Some media reports are consistent with that, and some are not.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
What if police officers had to be good examples to the community instead of people who fly off the handle and are threatened by the slightest stiff wind?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I have no idea whether he did or not, and haven't said he did. Several people here are arguing affirmatively he absolutely did not, based on incomplete information, which is a stupid overreaction. The report says he did. Some media reports are consistent with that, and some are not.

I trust the federal judge's assessment

in any case, if he was approached by a team of officers while the judge is telling them to stand down and he did square up, it's still potentially justifiable on his part

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, no, Ammon Bundy, you can't just fight the police.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kazak_Hstan posted:

quote:

"Where the officer is killed in the course of the disorder which naturally accompanies an attempted arrest that is resisted, the law looks with very different eyes upon the transaction, when the officer had the right to make the arrest, from what it does if the officer had no right. What may be murder in the first case might be nothing more than manslaughter in the other, or the facts might show that no offense had been committed." (Plummer v. State, 135 Ind. 308, 34 N.E. 968 (1893). — the Supreme Court of Indiana).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Your accusation isn't even that he actually fought him, it's that he thought about defending himself.

You would think that when you have a federal judge literally right there, on your side, saying out loud that the police are in the wrong, that would be one place where it would be hard to argue that maybe falling into a self defense stance against oncoming assailants might be justified, esp. if you never actually take a swing.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Here is a friendly law tip:

Don't found a sweeping conclusion of law on a 123 year old case from Indiana.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Your accusation

The only "accusation" I am making is that posters itt are reaching conclusions that go beyond available information and huffing and puffing over misunderstandings of the law as it applies to both self defense and use of force under the fourth amendment. I have no particular accusation to level at Marcus Mumford.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

quote:

"The offense of resisting arrest, both at common law and under the statute, G.S. § 14-223, presupposes a lawful arrest." State v. Mobley, 1954

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Under common law there was a recognized right to resist an illegal arrest. Over the years, as the criminal law was codified and modernized, that common law rule has been substantially eroded. This took off around the time the model penal code came into being. As a result, you can find some old cases making reference to the "axiomatic" right, but you're going to have a very hard time walking into a courtroom today and asserting that right in a situation as mundane as this courtroom. For one, courts that have looked at it in the last few decades have generally required the force used to be reasonable. Many, most?, have required that resisting arrest be necessary to prevent serious bodily injury or death. Squaring off against cops who slowly approach or put their hand on your arm almost certainly does not meet that standard.

It is almost certainly possible to see that right vindicated in a court today in a particularly egregious case. For instance, had Rodney King fought back. Had Walter Scott fought that SC cop after getting shot in the back. Etc.

But as a general proposition of law, to suggest that you are entitled to fight the police any time you think they are wrong, is just not true. It will get you hurt if you act like that's the case in real life, and you will lose in court afterward.

This is exactly the sort of insane overreaction I am talking about. Mumford's case maybe/probably should be tossed, if for no other reason than to validate the notion that attorneys should have very wide latitude in a courtroom with a client. It's entirely possible those marshals are aggro assholes who deserve to get sued. (It's also possible it was a chaotic scene and they acted reasonably, or that Mumford actually did square off with them.) Regardless of whether that does or should happen, to get so mad as to suggest that the proper - or legal - response is to fight the police is ridiculous. He was out in two hours. He has a court date. If he feels his rights were violated he is free to sue.

This whole idea of if you disagree with the government you can fight them, and I googled "right to resist arrest" for five minutes so its LEGAL, is exactly how you get to the Bundy standoffs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Are you trying to say the officers were justified or not, and if not, what point are you actually trying to make here.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Are you trying to say the officers were justified or not, and if not, what point are you actually trying to make here.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

The only "accusation" I am making is that posters itt are reaching conclusions that go beyond available information and huffing and puffing over misunderstandings of the law as it applies to both self defense and use of force under the fourth amendment. I have no particular accusation to level at Marcus Mumford.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
no one here has said he was justified, either

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah no, lol, your first post on the topic was saying you had no sympathy for the guy and trying to justify the marshal's actions.

All that had been said on the issue before then was:

nm posted:

This is every bullshit resisting police report I've ever read except it involves a rich white dude instead of a poor black/hispanic dude.
Yeah, the big scary 5'6" lawyer was sure gonna assault the US Marshall.

Yes, the attorney was making noises, that is what they do. As a former defense attorney (who now works for the big evil government telling law enforcement how to follow the law), the whole thing is pretty disgusting (I also very briefly did prosecution). I don't agree with the verdicts and yeah, the defense attorney was a bit over the top arguing, but that is what defense attorneys do.

The way that is supposed to go down is:
Defense attorney: *Arguing*
Judge: Denied
[probably should stop here]
Defense attorney: *loud yelling*
Judge: Denied. *Contempt threat*
[In 99.9% of cases should shut up here]
Defense attorney: *more yelling*
Judge: Finds in contempt, maybe arrest*

They never got to that contempt threat, which really should be the trigger to STFU and back down. Grabbing an attorney who is addressing the court (even as an rear end in a top hat) without the judge telling them to just isn't done, ever. Bailiffs and marshals should never be telling a defense attorney to stop addressing the court unless the court has stepped off the bench or asked the staff to do so. Based on the accounts I've read (and the lack of mention of any court direction at all), this didn't happen.
Attorney was arguing, cop told him to stop, attorney rightfully ignored him, cop grabbed him, and maybe the attorney acted shocked? BFD. These guys are trying to avoid the lawsuit or even just embarrassment that comes from taking down an attorney in a courtroom. They overreacted.

Edit: Pro-tip -- When the cop is actually writes that based on his "experience as a combat veteran" he did something, you better buckle up because you're going for one hell of a cool, but way played up, ride.

Edit2: I forgot. As mentioned in the article, every single media source reports that the judge ordered the marshals away from the attorney. They disregarded that order. If any bailiffs in a courtroom I frequented disobeyed a direct order, they'd be in a world of poo poo.

and you responded by trying to explain how the marshal's were actually justified based on the scenario only they described and you have no sympathy for the guy getting tased and poo poo.

It was pretty dumb, and your stupid argument isn't based around "huffing and puffing over misunderstandings of the law as it applies to both self defense and use of force under the fourth amendment" and no one is stupid enough to pretend it is.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Re: resisting an illegal arrest: It varies on the state. In california, you can legally resist an illegal arrest (but you'd better be correct, there is no "oops" defense).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you know if you get tazed its like yourr down for 6 hours just saying jesus titty loving christ government facists puttin 1000volts across the nipples of a lawyer and beat his rear end just for sass is way out of loving line

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
mod sass irl

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah no, lol, your first post on the topic was saying you had no sympathy for the guy and trying to justify the marshal's actions.

All that had been said on the issue before then was:

and you responded by trying to explain how the marshal's were actually justified based on the scenario only they described and you have no sympathy for the guy getting tased and poo poo.

It was pretty dumb, and your stupid argument isn't based around "huffing and puffing over misunderstandings of the law as it applies to both self defense and use of force under the fourth amendment" and no one is stupid enough to pretend it is.

I said I have no sympathy for him IF he did what the report said. Even fuckin nm would probably not make excuses for him actually squaring off to fight the marshals. But feel free to continue willfully misreading things as it suits you.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I said I have no sympathy for him IF he did what the report said. Even fuckin nm would probably not make excuses for him actually squaring off to fight the marshals. But feel free to continue willfully misreading things as it suits you.

When a cop starts talking about how their honed combat instincts respond to slight movements of the perp's body, it usually means they didn't bother to make up an excuse for beating up or shooting the person until after they did it

lol if you think a loving defense lawyer was gonna punch a us marshal in the face in front of a judge and several other us marshals

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

When a cop starts talking about how their honed combat instincts respond to slight movements of the perp's body, it usually means they didn't bother to make up an excuse for beating up or shooting the person until after they did it

lol if you think a loving defense lawyer was gonna punch a us marshal in the face in front of a judge and several other us marshals

quote:

A/MUMFORD, who was yelling so loud that his voice could be heard outside the closed courtroom doors, lowered his body weight, widened his stance and brought his shoulders up toward his head. Based on my training and experience as a police officer and combat veteran, these physical responses are pre-assault indicators, consistent with an individual preparing for a combative and physical altercation. Deputy Marshall GANGSWISCH moved forward and attempted to gain gain control of A/MUMFORD using a standard law enforcment grasp on AMUMFORD'S upper arm. A/MUMFORD flailed his arm away, jerking free of Deputy GANGSWISCH's grasp. A/MUMFORD then squared his body off with Deputy GANGSWISCH and raised his clenched fists in what appeared to be a boxer's stance.

I'm really not seeing the honed instincts and subtle twitches. That is all pretty reasonable, if it actually happened that way, which is the part nobody here actually knows. We have fragmentary accounts mostly second-hand. Some say he didn't get in the marshals' way, some say he did. Some say he didn't do anything physical, some say he raised his arms as they approached. Some say he was talking to the judge, Mumford himself said he was addressing the marshals directly as they approached him.

I don't know what actually happened and neither does anyone here, you're all just jerking yourselves off because the word "combat" was in the report.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that probably has more to due with laws against the military being used against civilians and the increased militarization of police than it does this particular case

maybe cops shouldn't have historically been assholes and more people would take them at their word

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I'm really not seeing the honed instincts and subtle twitches. That is all pretty reasonable, if it actually happened that way, which is the part nobody here actually knows. We have fragmentary accounts mostly second-hand. Some say he didn't get in the marshals' way, some say he did. Some say he didn't do anything physical, some say he raised his arms as they approached. Some say he was talking to the judge, Mumford himself said he was addressing the marshals directly as they approached him.

I don't know what actually happened and neither does anyone here, you're all just jerking yourselves off because the word "combat" was in the report.

Yes, yes, anything is possible, you're just asking questions, we don't know the real facts of the matter, we get it.

If the facts of the matter are, in fact, not in line with every piece of evidence we have beyond a personal account that reads very much like bullshit from the officer in question, if his statement is true, then the person who was assaulted also did something wrong.

Is that all? Can we move on?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, you seem really personally invested in my opinion, can you?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kazak_Hstan posted:

if alarms don't start going off in your head when you see phrases like "pre-assault indicators" and "boxer's stance" then you're not nearly familiar enough with police brutality

it's like how, according to police shooting reports, black males with guns and gun-like objects have an apparently irresistible compulsion to raise them at any cop they see even if the cop is just passing by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Law enforcement hates sov cit bullshit so much they will treat them like black people.