Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

clearly Clinton talked too much about how Donald Trump was a racist and not enough about jobs

Frankly, I think part of 2020 is gonna have to be a huge embrace of social media because print and TV news was just loving horrible means of reaching out to voters.

The merging of Big Data with the general poor quality of research in the social sciences is a source of endless humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

NewForumSoftware posted:

I'd like to see this mythical speech

Lmao I just saw this dudes avatar people aren't getting salty at all

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Business Gorillas posted:

That's interesting that you saw an avatar. Keep me posted

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Haha I got a new one, cool!

I liked word chat earlier so I went ahead and made a wordcloud of my own posting... "bad Hillary think"... it's... beautiful

also shout out to "purge party good" on the east coast

http://www.wordclouds.com/

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Haha I got a new one, cool!

I liked word chat earlier so I went ahead and made a wordcloud of my own posting... "bad Hillary think"... it's... beautiful

also shout out to "purge party good" on the east coast
People think like, Hillary bad, just vote good, change things = What you sound like apparently.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SickZip posted:

The merging of Big Data with the general poor quality of research in the social sciences is a source of endless humor.

Honestly the merging of Big Data and anything turns out pretty hilarious/horrifying. Most data scientists couldn't find their rear end with both hands if the algorithm told them it wasn't on their backside. Quants in general should be chained up in basements so they don't accidentally think they're real people to whom anyone should listen.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

clearly Clinton talked too much about how Donald Trump was a racist and not enough about jobs

Frankly, I think part of 2020 is gonna have to be a huge embrace of social media because print and TV news was just loving horrible means of reaching out to voters.

Sorry, my need to avenge St. Bernard means she never did anything right.

MizPiz posted:

Using the word "job" is not the same as actually talking about jobs.

Yeah maybe she was talking about handjobs

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 16, 2016

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

I mean, she hosed up the most winnable election of all time by being a steaming pile of human refuse and ran possibly the worst campaign in living memory. Her campaign actively turned back volunteers trying to save the day from the campaign's own colossal incompetence. Yet she still refuses to accept any responsibility and just mutters 'russians' and 'comey'. The Russians didn't do poo poo except trick Podesta with a fake login and reveal how much the DNC hated the idea of fair elections. Maybe if the DNC had tried less skulduggery, the hacks wouldn't have been an issue?

If you walk away from this election with any impression other than Hillary is a festering pile of poo poo, I dunno what to tell you. She was real bad. Super bad. Legendarily bad.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

JeffersonClay posted:

She made some speeches nobody heard, legacy saved

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Fister posted:

She made some speeches nobody heard, legacy saved

I thought everyone was angry with her in the first place about some speeches nobody heard :confused:

Anyway, that the DNC chair looks like it's gonna be either Ellison (most likely) or Perez suggests that perhaps the Democrats aren't gonna be running to the right any time soon.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I thought everyone was angry with her in the first place about some speeches nobody heard :confused:

Anyway, that the DNC chair looks like it's gonna be either Ellison (most likely) or Perez suggests that perhaps the Democrats aren't gonna be running to the right any time soon.

We're talking about her failure to reach voters. Different topic than how corrupt she is.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Mister Fister posted:

We're talking about her failure to reach voters. Different topic than how corrupt she is.

These are not mutually exclusive?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Feral Integral posted:

These are not mutually exclusive?

More specifically the message she was trying to convey to voters.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Not a Step posted:

I mean, she hosed up the most winnable election of all time by being a steaming pile of human refuse and ran possibly the worst campaign in living memory. Her campaign actively turned back volunteers trying to save the day from the campaign's own colossal incompetence. Yet she still refuses to accept any responsibility and just mutters 'russians' and 'comey'. The Russians didn't do poo poo except trick Podesta with a fake login and reveal how much the DNC hated the idea of fair elections. Maybe if the DNC had tried less skulduggery, the hacks wouldn't have been an issue?

If you walk away from this election with any impression other than Hillary is a festering pile of poo poo, I dunno what to tell you. She was real bad. Super bad. Legendarily bad.

People that their entire online persona is built up around someone like her aren't going to go down that easy.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

JeffersonClay posted:

No, people actually like handjobs.

I'd have voted for her for a handjob.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That would be one way to prevent her from having the time to institute her radical agenda.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

nobody likes handjobs

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

zegermans posted:

nobody likes handjobs

True, but anybody would settle for one

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

zegermans posted:

nobody likes handjobs

handjobs better than no jobs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
A giggity economy I can get behind. :quagmire:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

zegermans posted:

nobody likes handjobs

A good handjob is pretty great, sorry you've never had one that wasn't from yourself.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Andrew Puzder will make Starbucks give out handjobs.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Andrew Puzder will make Starbucks give out handjobs.

And Idiocracy comes one step closer to reality.

But seriously let me get a double latte. Extra foam, if you know what I mean.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

has clinton had any sort of public contact with people who weren't her donors ever since her concession speech?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

has clinton had any sort of public contact with people who weren't her donors ever since her concession speech?

Did she before her concession speech?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

wow you sure did a good job of owning this guy

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Raerlynn posted:

Just so we're clear about what protections we're losing when the ACA is repealed, let's recap:

- Insurers can drop policyholders for making claims.
- Insurers can deny claims on the ground of "pre-existing condition", regardless of how spurious.
- Insurers can impose a limit of benefits over the course of your lifetime.

Benefits of the ACA:
* Ridiculously high premiums you can't afford anyway
* A big fine for not paying them
* Even if you ARE insured, bankrupcy-inducing levels of out-of-pocket expenses.

I'm fully insured and I can't afford to go to the doctor because I have a $4500 out-of-pocket gap to make up before it pays a single loving penny. Even then, I had to go through bankruptcy to dump over $25,000 in medical bills generated in a single calendar year when I WAS insured.

If the ACA is repealed, I still won't be able to afford to go to the doctor, but at least I won't be paying hundreds a month for the privilege of not being able to afford to go to the doctor. gently caress, maybe I could save a few months worth of premiums and afford to go. poo poo, when I DIDN'T have insurance my doctor gave me a break. He can't do that when I'm insured, because he'd be kicked out of network. Even though my insurance company doesn't actually pay anything, they still get to force the amount I pay.

This isn't a "Perfect is the enemy of the good" situation. The ACA is a loving mess, and the only people who think it's fine are Rah-Rah D-Team cheerleaders who get insured through their jobs and haven't had to pick through the offerings on the exchanges. Fixing it might have been an option, but it's not like the democrats campaigned on concrete changes. Reducing OOP expenses, capping premium growth to inflation, anything that would help someone being hosed at both ends by our insurance system.

Those people heard deafening silence from Hillary, and a loud "It's broken, it doesn't work, I'm going to get rid of it" from Trump. Boy, it's a mystery why they voted the way they did. Incomprehensible.

I still voted for Hillary, but I don't blame people she wasn't going to help for not voting for her.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Even if you have insurance through your job, premiums have been going 10% year to year for the same or slightly worse coverage and everyone blames Obamacare.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The messaging after they repeal will be that Obamacare somehow unplugged the tap on insurance price increases so if you premiums go up until the end of time it will be because of Obamacare.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Harik posted:

Benefits of the ACA:

I'm fully insured and I can't afford to go to the doctor because I have a $4500 out-of-pocket gap to make up before it pays a single loving penny. Even then, I had to go through bankruptcy to dump over $25,000 in medical bills generated in a single calendar year when I WAS insured.

If the ACA is repealed, I still won't be able to afford to go to the doctor, but at least I won't be paying hundreds a month for the privilege of not being able to afford to go to the doctor. gently caress, maybe I could save a few months worth of premiums and afford to go. poo poo, when I DIDN'T have insurance my doctor gave me a break. He can't do that when I'm insured, because he'd be kicked out of network. Even though my insurance company doesn't actually pay anything, they still get to force the amount I pay.

This isn't a "Perfect is the enemy of the good" situation. The ACA is a loving mess, and the only people who think it's fine are Rah-Rah D-Team cheerleaders who get insured through their jobs and haven't had to pick through the offerings on the exchanges. Fixing it might have been an option, but it's not like the democrats campaigned on concrete changes. Reducing OOP expenses, capping premium growth to inflation, anything that would help someone being hosed at both ends by our insurance system.

Those people heard deafening silence from Hillary, and a loud "It's broken, it doesn't work, I'm going to get rid of it" from Trump. Boy, it's a mystery why they voted the way they did. Incomprehensible.

I still voted for Hillary, but I don't blame people she wasn't going to help for not voting for her.

Campaigning to fix it would have meant admitting to the insurrection of the blue dog dems when they had the chance to do it right.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Harik posted:

Benefits of the ACA:

ACA is broken in a lot of ways, for a lot of people, but that's because health insurance companies are holding America by the balls. If ACA is repealed, you won't have to pay penalties for being uninsured, but if you do end up in ER, the rest of us will have to pay your bills.

It works like this: you are uninsured. You get into an accident and end up in the ER. After you recover, they present you a bill of $100,000. You can't pay it and declare bankruptcy, but the hospital has to cover the expense somehow, so they pass it on to the rest of the patients. Because those patients are insured, their insurance companies end up picking up the tab, which they then pass on to everyone in the form of increased premiums.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the big problem with health care reform in America isn't insurance companies but the AMA.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

It works like this: you are uninsured. You get into an accident and end up in the ER. After you recover, they present you a bill of $100,000. You can't pay it and declare bankruptcy, but the hospital has to cover the expense somehow, so they pass it on to the rest of the patients. Because those patients are insured, their insurance companies end up picking up the tab, which they then pass on to everyone in the form of increased premiums.
Thus passing the cost of healthcare away from those who can't pay and unto people who can afford insurance.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Thus passing the cost of healthcare away from those who can't pay and unto people who can afford insurance.

Maybe, but the problem is that this happens through tremendously bloated and inefficient channels. If my premium goes up $50 year-over-year, only $5-10 of that increase actually pays for the bills of those who can't afford healthcare. The rest ends up in the pockets of various parties along the way.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Seems like repealing ACA completely before replacing it with anything else in the meantime would be bad if not only for the pre-existing conditions denial thing, which makes it impossible for somebody to even attempt to get insurance when they actually need it for something like cancer

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Feral Integral posted:

Seems like repealing ACA completely before replacing it with anything else in the meantime would be bad if not only for the pre-existing conditions denial thing, which makes it impossible for somebody to even attempt to get insurance when they actually need it for something like cancer

The free market will fix the problem, don't worry.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Maybe those people should have planned their lives around randomly getting cancer. Now let me tell you why nothing that goes wrong in my life is my fault and I shouldn't be held accountable."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Maybe, but the problem is that this happens through tremendously bloated and inefficient channels. If my premium goes up $50 year-over-year, only $5-10 of that increase actually pays for the bills of those who can't afford healthcare. The rest ends up in the pockets of various parties along the way.
Also known as jobs.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

The free market will fix the problem, don't worry.
It's true. People who die from treatable conditions don't have many on-going health expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

If your employer covers you, it's actually your employer shifting more and more of the liability to you and away from them. If you work for a company >500 people chances are they self insure, which means the "insurance company" is actually your employer (who sets aside money to pay the claims) and not the claims administrator (the insurance company that builds the networks and handles claim paperwork).

This sleight of hand is why people have no idea how the employer paid system works.

• Locked thread