Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
That's my point though, it doesn't matter if they get chewed up as long as they chew up the other MBTs at least as badly. Your goal is to get the NATO MBTs off the table, if you can do that then you're golden even if you just traded 2 for one.

It's easier for them to do so at close range because its harder for NATO to exploit their greater maneuverability when the t-72 is in their face. No playing peek and poke and stacking the to hit roll in their favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Numlock posted:

That's my point though, it doesn't matter if they get chewed up as long as they chew up the other MBTs at least as badly. Your goal is to get the NATO MBTs off the table, if you can do that then you're golden even if you just traded 2 for one.

Oh, sure, I wasn't disagreeing, just that it's a totally different mindset to in FoW where you have turns you move and turns you do bad things to the other guy and they're usually mutually exclusive, especially for the soviets. It also pretty much requires you expect to get 4-3 automatically, which is probably pretty accurate for WW3, but, still.

As I said, thought, this is their strategy; it doesn't seem like they're unbeatably good. Though, as I said, I've never seen the BMP-horde IRL, so it's possible that really is horrific to deal with (I can kind of see it given how you never lose units until most of it's dead in TY and having to kill 12 BMPs to force a 3+ check seems like it'd make them insanely good at never actually being fully destroyed and consequently giving a disproportionate amount of high-score wins compared to an equivalent T-72 list).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

Shame I buy from the internet and don't have a FLGS - and that store no longer stocks anything from Battlefront - because it's going to make getting those books difficult.
I never bought the V3 rulebook because... free mini book for my V2 book. Ah well!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

I never bought the V3 rulebook because... free mini book for my V2 book. Ah well!

I have the mini rulebook from 2011, I think that still counts?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 15, 2016

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
From what I've personally seen the BMP horde wreaks American tank lists unless they get night on the mission roll, if they do it's more even. Not seen it action against other NATO factions but I doubt it would be different. Now against infantry the BMP list will struggle because dug in infantry with ATGMs are much harder to kill than BMPs. Dragon ATGMs might be "useless" against T72s but they kill BMPs by the handful.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Guys.

I think something might have infiltrated my workspace while I was putting decals on our first DAK vehicles. Keep an eye out for suspicious activities.

(god drat I like the look of the Tiger I. Does that make me a wehraboo?)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sd.Kfz. 270 "Hähnchen" Light armoured reconnaissance vehicle

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Sd.Kfz. 270 "Hähnchen" Light armoured reconnaissance vehicle

Now I'm sincerely considering painting up the 1/48 Tamiya panzergrens box I have laying around in white uniforms with orange shoulder patches, and make a small diorama. :P

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Stop considering and start executing. :colbert:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Now I'm sincerely considering painting up the 1/48 Tamiya panzergrens box I have laying around in white uniforms with orange shoulder patches, and make a small diorama. :P
I was going to say "or you could paint Stormtroopers up in..." and then realised what a terrible idea that was.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I was going to say "or you could paint Stormtroopers up in..." and then realised what a terrible idea that was.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: These aren't the Desert Rats you're looking for.

Oberfeldwebel: These aren't the Desert Rats we're looking for.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hey, guys-who-know-more-about-this-stuff-than-me, how well would the assault rifles in CoC represent AK-47s and M16s? My guess it their effective range is probably higher (unlimited?) but they'd still have the trait of having higher firepower at close range?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Do an immitation Force-on-Force:
Range unlimited, but there's an accuracy drop over their range that's listed in the book.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I wanna check out Chain of Command, and I'm planning to buy a platoon and maybe a couple of vehicles of Germans and Soviets.

COC is scale-agnostic, and I figure I'll get either 15mms so that I can also try Flames of War, or 28mm so that I can also try Bolt Action (also because this is my first foray into historicals, and I'm used to painting 28mm, being a Warmachine/Warhammer baby).

Two questions:

1) Is FOW or BA a better game?
2) Any recommendations for 15/28mm soldiermans other than the official FOW/BA miniatures?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

1. That's a really odd question since FoW is a much larger scale game than BA.
2. Plastic soldier company and zvezda for FoW, Dreamforge for BA

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Geisladisk posted:

Apples and oranges really, I would watch some youtube videos of them both. If prefer infantry and more of a 40k or skirmish feel, BA, if you prefer large numbers of tanks etc. go FOW.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Geisladisk posted:

2) Any recommendations for 15/28mm soldiermans other than the official FOW/BA miniatures?

West Wind's Forged in Battle line for 15mm, and Berlin or Bust line for 28mm

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If you want to rep the North African campaign for BA/CoC, you can't go wrong with Perry Miniatures.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 16, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

For 28mm I've mostly used Perry and Warlord, but also a few Black Hat, though they are very hit or miss.

E: seconding that perry's platoon boxes are great starting points if you like north africa, as they come with everything you need.

Speaking of north africa, operation TANK! continues, with some brits to oppose yesterday's Germans. Decal stage, then I'll do details and weathering.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 16, 2016

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
15mm: Since I had no interest in FoW and you'd never need five of the same tank in BA or CoC I ordered my support sections and vehicles from Skytrex.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I wish TY stuff wasn't such hell to transport. Why are all the vehicles so goddamn big? :negative:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

spectralent posted:

I wish TY stuff wasn't such hell to transport. Why are all the vehicles so goddamn big? :negative:

dehumanize yourself and face to 6mm

We played that game on a 48"x24" portable folding table with halved movement and weapon ranges.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I do want to get a load of 6mm stuff at some point but the weirdos at my club play 15mm like the book recommends. They're crazy, I tells ya.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Polikarpov posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to 6mm

We played that game on a 48"x24" portable folding table with halved movement and weapon ranges.
Did you change the objective base sizes? That seems like it'd be a big deal if it wasn't fixed.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
It was a learning game so we were more worried about figuring out how to move and shoot. We did get a set of properly scaled artillery templates from gamecraft miniatures.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I stopped by my FLGS today to check out what they had for 15mm Napoleonics and AWI. Not much, buuuut they did have a ton of Italieri and Zvezda stuff in 1/72, and man, that stuff is cheap. Someone talk me out of this.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Never have I ever seen 1/72 played in the US. Also the Zveda plastic dudes that I have is that soft stuff like reaper bones. They're great looking models but I'd rather have it hard.

OTOH as I understand it some people use 1/72 vehicles 28mm wargames (in addition to planes usually being 1/72 models)

DiHK fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 18, 2016

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

DiHK posted:

Never have I ever seen 1/72 played in the US. Also the Zveda plastic dudes that I have is that soft stuff like reaper bones. They're great looking models but I'd rather have it hard.

OTOH as I understand it some people use 1/72 vehicles 28mm wargames (in addition to planes usually being 1/72 models)

We have a few guys locally that play Cold War Commander and Blitzkreig zcommander in 1/72. I did notice the difference in the plastic; do you have to pain those differently?

Also, 72 would be way to small for 28mm. 48 doesn't even look exactly right.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I haven't actually seen 1/72 vehicles in play with 28mm, just heard it.

Wouldn't 1/48 be too big? I thought 28mm=1/56th. (and 15mm=1/100th)

I haven't actually brought my Zveda Samurai out of the box yet (these are the older discontinued series, the new ones are made for Samurai Battles, have big bases, and I think they are in the hard gray plastic but I'd have to dig them out of the closet to see.

It looks like Tamiya has discontinued their 1/35th WW2 stuff. It's too bad: I have pipe dreams of CoC in 1/35.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Geisladisk posted:

I wanna check out Chain of Command, and I'm planning to buy a platoon and maybe a couple of vehicles of Germans and Soviets.

COC is scale-agnostic, and I figure I'll get either 15mms so that I can also try Flames of War, or 28mm so that I can also try Bolt Action (also because this is my first foray into historicals, and I'm used to painting 28mm, being a Warmachine/Warhammer baby).

Two questions:

I like BA because if I wanted to play battalion sized actions I would play in 6mm and use Blitzkrieg Commander.

There's nothing wrong with the 30 man boxes of Warlord plastics and a couple of blisters, or for North Africa the Perry Plastics and a couple of blisters.

For tanks Rubicon and Italeri are ok.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Thundercloud posted:

For tanks Rubicon and Italeri are ok.

Rubicon are so loving good!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DiHK posted:

I haven't actually seen 1/72 vehicles in play with 28mm, just heard it.

Wouldn't 1/48 be too big? I thought 28mm=1/56th. (and 15mm=1/100th)

I haven't actually brought my Zveda Samurai out of the box yet (these are the older discontinued series, the new ones are made for Samurai Battles, have big bases, and I think they are in the hard gray plastic but I'd have to dig them out of the closet to see.

It looks like Tamiya has discontinued their 1/35th WW2 stuff. It's too bad: I have pipe dreams of CoC in 1/35.

1/48 is too big on paper. However, most 28mm miniatures these days are more like 30mm, and a lot of makers make these hunky beefcakes (looking at you, Warlord), 1/56 tanks actually look smallish compared to the soldiers in them. You'll see this in that 1/56 kits often have driver seats where it'd be impossible to squeeze in a 28mm mini.

1/48 is a compromize where the vehicles gets slightly too big, but they look more correct next to the infantry. The second reason I went with 1/48 tamiya kits for CoC is that they are relatively cheap and a thousand times more detailed than the Warlord plastics, or the various resin kits you can get. After building several resin tanks, I kind of hate them. However, the disadvantage of going with "real" model kits is that they take a lot of time to build, and the tiny plastic details will inevitably get damaged. But they will look better! Also I was doing German tanks, and there are more 1/48 options for Germany than, say, Britain, especially for early/mid war.

Now that Rubicon and others are pumping out lots of affordable, easily built and sturdy 1/56 tanks, I'm kind of reevaluationg my position. The options for plastic 1/56 look much better now than just 3-4 years ago. So if I push to expand our substantial German tank park for late war, I might go with some 1/56 kits.

But man, there's no comparison how good my 1/48 Tamiya Tiger I looks compared to my Warlord Games 1/56 T-34/85 kit. So if you like the modeling part and want a nice looking tanks, 1/48 remains a reasonable option. But if you want tanks that you can quickly put together and not worry about when you carry them to the club, definitely go with a more wargamery 1/56 brand like Warlord or Rubicon.

As for 1/72 "soft" plastic minis, they are somewhat popular in Europe. A cheap option for doing high density armies without going for 6mm. I keep reading that a thinned down layer of PVA glue will help make the softer types more rigid before painting. To be honest I've never seen a 1/72 army look quite a good as a well painted 15mm army, but I've seen some that are bloody close. And if you want to put down a big army for cheap, where the mass of troops makes the look of each individual one less important, it's an attractive option. Another bonus is that 1/72 models are usually more realistically proportioned than most 15mm or 28mm figures, which looks nice even if the details are sometimes a bit more difficult to pick out.

1/72 is cheap enough that if nobody else plays them around you, you can build two opposing armies. That's always a good option for historicals, anyway, since there are so many periods and scales.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 18, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The NVA is coming for Team Yankee and they look cool. I really wish I liked the game because the minis are cool. I just found it too clunky to enjoy. :(

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

The NVA is coming for Team Yankee and they look cool. I really wish I liked the game because the minis are cool. I just found it too clunky to enjoy. :(

I've read that PSC are apparently doing T-55s first quarter next year sometime, so, if you just want cool tanks they may be an option.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Links, you horrible person

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
On the vehicle scale topic, be aware that many of the new 1/56 kits available from Warlord are actually repacks of Italeri plastic models. Make no mistake, these are models, and have a ton of detail. I got a Pz III and a couple of Shermans and was blown away by the detail on them. As lilljonas said though, they do take time to assemble. And I made this worse because I couldn't decide which variant I wanted to build and therefore magnetized basically everything. :cripes:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ilor posted:

On the vehicle scale topic, be aware that many of the new 1/56 kits available from Warlord are actually repacks of Italeri plastic models. Make no mistake, these are models, and have a ton of detail. I got a Pz III and a couple of Shermans and was blown away by the detail on them. As lilljonas said though, they do take time to assemble. And I made this worse because I couldn't decide which variant I wanted to build and therefore magnetized basically everything. :cripes:

Unfortunately it's hard to know which ones are good. For example, the T-34/85 I mentioned building from Warlord has very little detail at all, especially when I compare it to something like the (much cheaper) Hobby Bossy 1/48 KV-2 that I recently built. And I was not that impressed by the Greyhound or UC from Warlord. But I think both of those are older kits as well. I'm happy to hear that they are improving, though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

Links, you horrible person
Battlefront are plebs so the only information I've got is from my FLGS:
http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/wargames-miniatures/team-yankee-c271199#271505

spectralent posted:

I've read that PSC are apparently doing T-55s first quarter next year sometime, so, if you just want cool tanks they may be an option.
Might do that just to paint some stuff up, but that is the slippery slope isn't it?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Battlefront are plebs so the only information I've got is from my FLGS:
http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/wargames-miniatures/team-yankee-c271199#271505

Might do that just to paint some stuff up, but that is the slippery slope isn't it?

Whatever could you mean.

*kicks stack of tanks under chair*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

Unfortunately it's hard to know which ones are good. For example, the T-34/85 I mentioned building from Warlord has very little detail at all, especially when I compare it to something like the (much cheaper) Hobby Bossy 1/48 KV-2 that I recently built. And I was not that impressed by the Greyhound or UC from Warlord. But I think both of those are older kits as well. I'm happy to hear that they are improving, though.
OK, but the T-34 is a pretty no-frills tank. Unless you're adding a lot of stowage and crap, the T-34 has very sleek lines with not a lot of bits and bobs. The KV-2, not so much. There's a ton of junk on that tank.