Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on a related note, the red grudgeraker is currently on the board. it's tempting, but i'm currently like 4 away from completing something else that i want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

In case y'all never got the worst joke in this game, the Grey Wizard is Kristoph Engel.

The master of illusions is Criss Angel.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that's actually the best joke

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Game really needs to do more to force people to learn melee before Nightmare. I just ran a hard run solo because I didn't know if anyone would join. Immediately I got 3 people. I had the most melee kills as Bright Wizard. The most ranged kills were on the dwarf. People lean entirely too hard on their ranged weapons and get murdered for it when they try to step up to Nightmare and Cata.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Game really needs to do more to force people to learn melee before Nightmare. I just ran a hard run solo because I didn't know if anyone would join. Immediately I got 3 people. I had the most melee kills as Bright Wizard. The most ranged kills were on the dwarf. People lean entirely too hard on their ranged weapons and get murdered for it when they try to step up to Nightmare and Cata.

Admittedly Sienna's murdersword is incredibly good now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

To be fair, the dwarf can rack up a shitload of kills with drakefires. The right click blast can sweep and clear slave rats like they were nothing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

He was using handgun. Like almost exclusively.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I will genuinely play Sienna for her Longsword now, and just take a Bolt Staff and be like "Sure whatevs wham bam some wizbiz." when I remember it in between beheading infinity rats.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

I will genuinely play Sienna for her Longsword now, and just take a Bolt Staff and be like "Sure whatevs wham bam some wizbiz." when I remember it in between beheading infinity rats.

I would play BW a lot more if I had a murdersword, as is I've just got the flaming one which has always been kind of underwhelming, and the battle scepter which feels like the attack combo comes out in the reverse order as it should.

Edit: I'm seeing a lot more elves with swiftbows, are they legit now?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit: I'm seeing a lot more elves with swiftbows, are they legit now?

As we all know, and according to this very talented Level 380 player I met yesterday, the Elf was nerfed really badly but now that the Swiftbow can kill Clan Rats on NM with one light shot (but not a charge shot sometimes?) it is now her only useful weapon :downs:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

As we all know, and according to this very talented Level 380 player I met yesterday, the Elf was nerfed really badly but now that the Swiftbow can kill Clan Rats on NM with one light shot (but not a charge shot sometimes?) it is now her only useful weapon :downs:

I mean the swift bow is a legit arrow assault rifle weapon now but what the hell is wrong with pubbies on balance? I remember them screaming that 1.5 was a huge 'nerf patch' when almost every underperforming weapon was made amazingly fun to use.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm pretty sure at this point it's a breed of player who wants weapons that kill rats in one hit or with almost zero effort on their part. Saw one Elf say they only play it so they don't really have to aim or participate overmuch. It really hurts when the most powerful character is not being played to a quarter of their strength:sigh:

There's this guy on Reddit who ceaselessly loving complains and whines about the Bolt Staff and all its associated traits and gimmicks who even said there was zero possibility of anyone having the Cataclysm Dwarf DLC trophy in the inn from CB because the bolt staff was utterly gutted in that test and therefore nobody could possibly get through. I think every post of his has devolved into something about the Staff's overcharge or how it is in fact the 1.4 variant still :v:

I did though. Equip all your bots with Off Balance weapons and watch what a difference it makes! Kruber's Red Mace & Shield is the only Shield weapon with Off Balance in fact.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 16, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Bolt Staff is still really good at killing shitloads of little rats when they're charging at you, too.

You just use the loving machine gun mode mounted on it to do it instead of the autoaim bolt for everything, now.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there some anti-gas rat strategy for the Chain of Fire finale or is it just mandatory break time whenever one of those jerks shows up? We even had a couple team members standing away from the pressure plate but they threw at the plate every single time.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

The Bolt Staff is still really good at killing shitloads of little rats when they're charging at you, too.

You just use the loving machine gun mode mounted on it to do it instead of the autoaim bolt for everything, now.

Lazy lovely wizards want a no skill murder everything now button though. Last night I hit a couple pub BWs that did nothing but spam conflag blasts and bitching the entire time about being so sad and weak while friendly firing the poo poo out of us.

I kind of loathed the bolt staff with how it was in 1.4 though, in the hands of someone even remotely competent it could trivialize a lot of stuff in a way you didn't really see with any other weapon. Of course I am one of those hopeless mutants that legitimately liked it back with the right click was a non-homing piercing sniper bolt.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

some people are always going to get weird if their overpowered weapon of choice gets nerfed, even if literally everything else is made usable. with vermintide it's less about competitive balance and more about other players being able to have fun as well, and the old bolt staff kind of nullified that a bit, so i'm glad it was toned down some.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I hated the old Bolt Staff and I'm fine with the new one.

I would really like a Flaming Sword of Rhuin staff for here that has the Bolt Staff Primary and then a bigass close-range sweep of a blade of fire as its chargeable secondary.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I hated the old Bolt Staff and I'm fine with the new one.

I feel the same about Trueflight. Like it was neat to 180 and pop some guy you couldn't even see but the bow overriding what you wanted to loving shoot was obnoxious as hell. I'll gladly take this less powerful but more consistent one.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Killing Blow Normal, Regrowth Normal, Off Balance on a Pick.

I think that'll do, pig.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man I am not at all sold on the blunderbuss and grudge-raker. If I'm the dwarf or soldier I can handle trash rats easily already and a gun that's disappointing against the ever-more-present Stormvermin just isn't gonna cut it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Just take a melee that trashes storms. Like the axes, or the big hammers.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've been getting a lot of use out of the grudgeraker against stormvermin, especially since there actually are more around nowadays which gives me more to hit at once

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Just take a melee that trashes storms. Like the axes, or the big hammers.

Those are also really good against trash rats though. The shotguns just don't seem to fill any niche. It's trash-killing utility on the best trash-killing melee monsters in the game.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 17, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The Witch Hunter absolutely murders Stormvermin with the new hatchet, it's A Good Weapon. It does feel like there's more of them around too, both with the bigger patrols and with them just hanging around the map in general

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
It's been almost a year since I last played this and I'm looking at jumping back in. Will I need to buy the DLC maps to play them, or can I get in if others are hosting?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Friar John posted:

It's been almost a year since I last played this and I'm looking at jumping back in. Will I need to buy the DLC maps to play them, or can I get in if others are hosting?

The people hosting have to be your friends or :ssh:

If you know some rando on Steam is running the DLC, you can find their steam profile page and click "Join Game" to glom off them even if they're total strangers

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The people hosting have to be your friends or :ssh:

If you know some rando on Steam is running the DLC, you can find their steam profile page and click "Join Game" to glom off them even if they're total strangers
Got it! I've still got a couple of folks in this thread on my Steam friends list, those tended to go the smoothest. Is the goon group chat still used to find games?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Yes

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The battle scepter one shots clan rats

:shittypop:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

okay, i have a choice between my current set of traits on my 2h dwarf axe (regrowth(normal), devastating blow and perfect balance) and a new set of traits (backstabbery, regrowth(charged) and killing blow(normal))

would the backstabbery on the second set make it an ogre-murdering machine?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Holy poo poo was I right to get Killing Blow on the pick. "Oh I'll just stunlock this Stormvermin and...one-shotted."

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
So the bug where Packmasters can snag you through walls is still in. Had a fantastic nightmare 2 grim/3 tome run on the first DLC map get destroyed because of it. I was pulled into the wall in the final room, lost my grim and tome, then my Soviet Sister died and lost his grim.

The walls will eat you, folks.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

QuietLion posted:

So the bug where Packmasters can snag you through walls is still in. Had a fantastic nightmare 2 grim/3 tome run on the first DLC map get destroyed because of it. I was pulled into the wall in the final room, lost my grim and tome, then my Soviet Sister died and lost his grim.

The walls will eat you, folks.

You can now officially call yourself a Vermintide Veteran.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wow, just prayed for a random dwarf orange and got the axe + shield. even has regrowth on the shield bash, berserking and improved pommel. not sure if that's optimal by a long shot, but it's nice to start with.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you get a Pick: Get Killing Blow Normal. Trust me on this.

It will reward you with bloodsplosions.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Got a pick and a falchion after only like 9 games. Still have never seen a glaive or a volley crossbow, luckily they gave out that free VC.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Night10194 posted:

If you get a Pick: Get Killing Blow Normal. Trust me on this.

It will reward you with bloodsplosions.

The red pick has killing blow, regrowth and swift slaying. The new red snd.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I loaded up a family sharing account to spawn hats that I am not comfortable with spawning because they would crash the game in 1.4 and render your game unplayable. They seem to be in the files now and they may be added officially later. For now, have a look at them.

Kerillian

Saltzpyre

Bardin

Sienna

Kruber

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Johnny Joestar posted:

wow, just prayed for a random dwarf orange and got the axe + shield. even has regrowth on the shield bash, berserking and improved pommel. not sure if that's optimal by a long shot, but it's nice to start with.

IIRC regrowth on charged attack for shielded weapons kind of sucks because it only applies to the first rat you hit rather than all of them like it is for every other weapon. You're better off rerolling it into bloodlust if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DeathSandwich posted:

IIRC regrowth on charged attack for shielded weapons kind of sucks because it only applies to the first rat you hit rather than all of them like it is for every other weapon. You're better off rerolling it into bloodlust if you can.

really? that's...unfortunate. especially since the 1h hammer can trigger on anything it hits.

• Locked thread