Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

I use all premium parts for everything but spotting plane and sometimes hydro. I had too many games lost by a damage control not being available, or smoke not being ready. I figure I can almost always make up the price difference by surviving longer and doing more damage.

Alright, I've been doing the same recently. I didn't know for the longest time that I had the option to pay with credits instead of doubloons. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Thundercakes posted:

Do you guys normally run premium repair party and/or damage control on your higher tier ships and premiums, or do you just use the basic ones?

I use premium anything but fighter planes/spotter planes, I've never had any lack for silver at all.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I do exactly the same. Credits aren't particularly a concern for me at all.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I only use the 250-ish damecon II everyone got for free a while ago even though I wish I could just use all premium consumables. Using premium consumables can quickly cut into your profits if you don't have a premium account.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I use all premiums all the time and I am broke as gently caress.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Have you considered getting good?!!?!?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Thundercakes posted:

Give me muh premium WG! :bahgawd:

:patriot:

I don't particularly care about the Alabama being exclusive for ST personally, but there's so much salt on the NA forums you could give Carthage another layer.

Thank you all TRUE PATRIOTS for sharing this on your facebook we have won this round!

Trevzor posted:

Hey everybody,

We have noticed a lot of threads going on regarding USS Alabama and we wanted to clarify a few things for all of you:

USS Alabama that is currently coming to the World of Warships client is indeed a special ship only available to the Supertesters as a reward ship. This ship is going to be given to testers who have dedicated an exceptional amount of time to the improvement of World of Warships.

We are planning to sell a regular version of Alabama in the future, unfortunately we don’t have specific dates to share with you at this time. Normally we don’t announce sales this far in advance, but seeing the overwhelming response to this ship, we have decided to make an exception.

Keep your eyes on the portal and forums for more information when it becomes available.

Good luck out there!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
If you don't have a premium account though, the cost of consumables can really cut into profits. I think at a minimum, you need to have damage control be premium, its just too important for every ship. After that, BB's should have repair party as premium, as shorter cooldowns means more health. Most cruisers can get away with just DC, but British cruisers need to have premium smoke, and ships that have radar should have premium radar . DD's should have premium smoke, I don't think premium speed boost is essential.
Camo though you can get away with the cheap ones, like the chance to be hit ones on BB's and Cruisers, and DD's should run the spotting range reduction. That is a good way to save some money at the end.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I don't understand how people can tolerate this or WoT without premium. It's loving hellish.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I am Botes Trump and run premium consumables on everything because premium is $5/month if you catch a deal on the 360 day subscription.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I haven't had premium account ever, but I always use premium consumables because I have 150m+ silver and I'm not a poor - I net like at 200k+ a game on average. That's my story thanks for listening.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Durendal posted:

I don't understand how people can tolerate this or WoT without premium. It's loving hellish.

Grind ships at tiers 4-7 with your buddies, or just do your daily doubles and then go do something else, and suddenly not having premium doesn't seem like such a big deal.

It also helps to not have that nagging feeling in the back of your head that every second you spend not playing the game is premium time you're throwing away for free. P.S. I still get premium every now and then but usually it's Wargaming's weekend packages that I know won't hurt the wallet and I won't lose much if I don't sperg hard on the game over the entire weekend.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This hubub over the Alabama is hilarious

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ice Fist posted:

I don't get the angst. It just another premium ship. They did you the favor not not letting you spend the 80 bucks to buy it

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
yeah, if you unicum it up you are usually never poor, even non-premium.

I'm down to 20 million, I actually feel kinda poor right now :ohdear:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I'm constantly short on credits because I always have new ships needing upgrades and modules and camo. :retrogames:

E: Myoukou class is still good, BTW.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I saw one in the wild on Tuesday and it let me do 10s of thousands of damage with AP at close range with the Cleveland before being nuked by a Nicholas.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I watched an Atlanta player today not bother to use his guns at close range against a Pensacola. Even when the Pensacola gave him his side. The Atlanta waited until he got his torpedoes off, then belatedly threw some HE at him before dying. And he didn't even hit with the torps. Did someone just start playing this game and buy an Atlanta right off the bat?

No but loving wow these stats are amazing. 1710 games in the Emden :stare:.

Also I think I've played at least one game before with this shitbird when he did a whole lot of nothing in a Tirpitz.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"I can't stand the idea of someone having something I can't have. I would rather kick down everyone's sandcastle than live in a world where I'm denied something in my Internet Boats game. Even if they make a version for 'us,' it won't be the same as what THEY have."

MikeC posted:

I don't get the angst. It just another premium ship. They did you the favor not not letting you spend the 80 bucks to buy it

People have apparently been asking for the South Dakota-class, and if as a premium USS Alabama specifically, for a long, long time. From a popularity standpoint, I've seen people stating that USS Alabama is THE most visited museum ship in the US (and thus likely the world), which actually makes it really loving popular among the crowd this game attracts in the US. Previous reward ships have been stuff like the Iwaki and USS Arkansas, which are nice but relatively obscure and not particularly cared about.

I have no particular attachment to the ship myself, though I likely did visit it a long time ago, but I can certainly understand why a fair number of people are annoyed/angry. A ship that a ton of people have been asking for for a long time is going to be by far the rarest ship on the server since they've said it will never be available in any other form (as opposed to Alpha and Beta reward ships, which have been speculated as going to be eventually released with a slight name change - and weren't particularly popular ships anyways), and won't even be given to all supertesters. People have brought up the relatively good points that WG has never done this for the STs in their other games, STs are already supposedly getting rewards, and WG's way of getting STs is basically a lottery in the first place, as opposed to any real test, which means it's an utter crapshoot if you can do this work for them even if you really want to.

I'm not personally outraged, and I don't care enough about the issue to do or support anything about it, but objectively I think this probably was a really loving stupid decision by WG.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

El Disco posted:

I watched an Atlanta player today not bother to use his guns at close range against a Pensacola. Even when the Pensacola gave him his side. The Atlanta waited until he got his torpedoes off, then belatedly threw some HE at him before dying. And he didn't even hit with the torps. Did someone just start playing this game and buy an Atlanta right off the bat?

No but loving wow these stats are amazing. 1710 games in the Emden :stare:.

Also I think I've played at least one game before with this shitbird when he did a whole lot of nothing in a Tirpitz.

You sure this isn't a bot?

Also, what is the ideal setup for a twink Bayern captain. I decided to jump back into mid tier games just for fun.....and those games are a lot more fun to play. Not only is the bullshit level lower but I am now reapplying all the lessons I learned before and I am crushing that tier. Currently have basics of Suitability, Expert marksman, and High Alert. The Bayern does seem to have an above average secondary suite and I am wondering if its reasonable to go Advanced Firing Training with Secondary mod to push the range close to 8km. I don't seem to need the accuracy model to hit targets at the moment. Or is it better to go get Superintendent.

Someone here earlier had issues with the Bayern saying it apparently was crap. The 5 ships on the top screen were essentially engaged all at once. The Budyonny had an unfortunate incident in eating 2 citadels right off the bat so he didn't actually do much firing. Tanked all of their fire killing 3 of them in the process. Managed to live till the end of the game.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 16, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

MikeC posted:

Also, what is the ideal setup for a twink Bayern captain. I decided to jump back into mid tier games just for fun.....and those games are a lot more fun to play. Not only is the bullshit level lower but I am now reapplying all the lessons I learned before and I am crushing that tier. Currently have basics of Suitability, Expert marksman, and High Alert. The Bayern does seem to have an above average secondary suite and I am wondering if its reasonable to go Advanced Firing Training with Secondary mod to push the range close to 8km. I don't seem to need the accuracy model to hit targets at the moment. Or is it better to go get Superintendent.

I really like superintendent on my Bayern, repair party is a huge life saver on that ship since you can tank a ton of damage.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
I have seen a ton of CVs tonight, including a couple of Midways. Had one game in my Warspite with 2 CV per side. Anyone else noticing a resurgence? It's like stumbling upon a herd of unicorns.

e: and it's been like this for the past week or so, suddenly high tier CV are starting to come back out

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 16, 2016

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
The Gneisenau was such a piece of poo poo I almost didn't push through it (it finally clicked at the end at least) but ever since I read "Sinking the Bismarck" when I was a little kid I've loved battleships. I just had to get the Bismarck and holy poo poo was it worth it.

Bone stock, I think 7th game ever played in it:

Every loving BB should have 10k secondaries and sonar/radar. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Thundercakes posted:

I have seen a ton of CVs tonight, including a couple of Midways. Had one game in my Warspite with 2 CV per side. Anyone else noticing a resurgence? It's like stumbling upon a herd of unicorns.

e: and it's been like this for the past week or so, suddenly high tier CV are starting to come back out

Probably from the missions.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

Probably from the missions.

Yeah makes sense, I keep forgetting about those

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MikeC posted:

I'm not sure, actually. That's entirely possible.

MikeC posted:

Get AFT. Extra range on your secondaries and rather decent AA. If you don't care about getting Concealment Expert or Manual Secondaries, grab Superintendent after AFT.

You could even grab both AFT and Manual AA if you skip the tier 5 captain skill, then the rest would be Superintendent + Vigilance/High Alert, Expert Marksman, and Basics of Survivability + BFT. I think the Bayern has enough high-caliber AA DPS to make Manual AA worth it.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Christ the manual AA skill really needs to be changed to include the Minotaur's 76mm future turrets. As it is the Minotaur is actually worse at AA than the neptune >:-|

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lord Koth posted:

People have apparently been asking for the South Dakota-class, and if as a premium USS Alabama specifically, for a long, long time. From a popularity standpoint, I've seen people stating that USS Alabama is THE most visited museum ship in the US (and thus likely the world), which actually makes it really loving popular among the crowd this game attracts in the US. Previous reward ships have been stuff like the Iwaki and USS Arkansas, which are nice but relatively obscure and not particularly cared about.

I have no particular attachment to the ship myself, though I likely did visit it a long time ago, but I can certainly understand why a fair number of people are annoyed/angry. A ship that a ton of people have been asking for for a long time is going to be by far the rarest ship on the server since they've said it will never be available in any other form (as opposed to Alpha and Beta reward ships, which have been speculated as going to be eventually released with a slight name change - and weren't particularly popular ships anyways), and won't even be given to all supertesters. People have brought up the relatively good points that WG has never done this for the STs in their other games, STs are already supposedly getting rewards, and WG's way of getting STs is basically a lottery in the first place, as opposed to any real test, which means it's an utter crapshoot if you can do this work for them even if you really want to.

I'm not personally outraged, and I don't care enough about the issue to do or support anything about it, but objectively I think this probably was a really loving stupid decision by WG.
Not to mention that it's going to be the first T8 American premium, something that people have being asking for for a while. Combine with the, as you mentioned, attachment to the Alabama/SoDak class itself and it's pretty easy to see why people would be a bit miffed that the Alabama wouldn't be purchasable.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Trevzor posted:

USS Alabama that is currently coming to the World of Warships client is indeed a special ship only available to the Supertesters as a reward ship. This ship is going to be given to testers who have dedicated an exceptional amount of time to the improvement of World of Warships.

We are planning to sell a regular version of Alabama in the future, unfortunately we don’t have specific dates to share with you at this time. Normally we don’t announce sales this far in advance, but seeing the overwhelming response to this ship, we have decided to make an exception.

Yes, instead of simplifying things and giving everyone the option of buying the same ship, so there's no favoritism with special versions of ships locked behind special castes of players, give the supertesters one version of the Alabama, and then the plebs can go ahead and pay fitty for the "regular" Alabamer.

I'm all for giving supertesters free gold and premium, consumables, drowning them in detonation flag bundles and what-have-you, but seriously, why do you have to do this to ships? Some people play this game *specifically* to collect and have every single ship in their ports.

MikeC posted:

Someone here earlier had issues with the Bayern saying it apparently was crap. The 5 ships on the top screen were essentially engaged all at once. The Budyonny had an unfortunate incident in eating 2 citadels right off the bat so he didn't actually do much firing. Tanked all of their fire killing 3 of them in the process. Managed to live till the end of the game.

It's not that it's crap, I take that back. It's just cursed. Some people hit every shot they fire without any sort of accuracy mod and have monster games. In some rare occurrences, you get people like me who can barely make the ship work and have terrible winrates on it, no matter what loadout you end up cramming into it. Specced for brawling? Expect to meet tons of Scharnhorsts! Got the accuracy mods? Now you're *really* giving them a bath. Got anti-air? You've wasted your time, carriers barely exist at this tier.

The armor is good but the guns just... don't feel great. The problem is that the line conditions you to get used to lots of fast-firing guns, then out of nowhere that number gets cut in half or something and you get an extra kick in the balls with a five-second reload nerf. More guns that fired faster were great because even though they were inaccurate, you could roll the dice more times per barrage and generally come out doing good damage every time. The Bayern's eight guns with a normal BB RoF just don't give you as many dice rolls as often to do damage with.

A.K.A, it feels average. It's just an average, tier 7-feeling BB. A better-armored BB that gave up some of its flavor to get big guns. Which is really disappointing, it's a disappointing ship after having two great predecessors.

EDIT:

Just... how much more damage are you expected to do on this ship to carry your team and win? This result is so common, it's not even funny. Ironically, there's another Bayern near the top of the enemy team who had an even better game than mine.

OSad fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 16, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Anshan and Blisselwhistle are on sale this week, and as they helpfully point out, "If you're grinding XP to earn USS Missouri, Anshan has camouflage that gives you +100% Free XP each battle!"

Arizona, Marblehead, and Krasnyi Krym too, though amusingly the only part of KK visible in the header image is the keel, as though they want everyone to forget how much of a shitpile it is and buy it anyway.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 16, 2016

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Thundercakes posted:

Definitely saw a gently caress ton of CV players yesterday. More than were on during Thanksgiving. I'd say 2/3rds of the games had at least 1 CV with a 50/50 split of 2. Super loving annoying in tier 5 getting dumped on by tier 6 and 7 planes.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Was holding out for an Atago sale, instead just some meh ships.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 16, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Thundercakes posted:

There are a few campaign missions that are:

Cause X amount of damage with plane dropped torpedoes/bombs
Sink X ships in a carrier
Do X amount of fire/flooding damage in a carrier
Etc.

Or

Be the first to spot X number of ships (which is always easy to do in a carrier).

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
I've been waiting on the Arizona for a while (had a long break between November of last year and September of this year) so I just went ahead and picked up the basic one. I had hoped for an Atago sale around Thanksgiving but ended up being impatient and buying it. I could see them running a discount on the normally available premiums somewhere between Christmas and New Years.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Definitely saw a gently caress ton of CV players yesterday. More than were on during Thanksgiving. I'd say 2/3rds of the games had at least 1 CV with a 50/50 split of 2. Super loving annoying in tier 5 getting dumped on by tier 6 and 7 planes.

At least it wasn't just me being crazy, I had them in about the same proportions and I didn't play anything under T6, most games at T9. It's been slowly ramping up over the past week or two with how often I see CV (probably the missions like someone else pointed out), but it's been enough that I've gotten in the habit of looking both CV players up on warships.today and then deciding how puckered my butthole needs to be.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ice Fist posted:

It's pretty stupid from a collector perspective, and frankly, a business perspective. People have been asking for a Tier VIII American premium for a while. Specifically, they've been asking for the South Dakota. So why on earth would you make it a "supertester only" Alabama/South Dakota with a pleb version at "some general undecided time in the future," when you could make a lot of players happy and make a lot of money by letting everyone have access to it?

Also, as someone who once worked in the videogame industry, I kind of hate supertesters. Beta players are one thing, because beta players serve a really specific function you cannot get otherwise, but "supertesters" are saving Wargaming around $200k in a way that takes away jobs from people who are already hosed by 90% of the videogame industry's business models.

So I have no desire to see supertesters get "perks" beyond the ones they already get for my own idiosyncratic personal reasons.

That said, here is a thought. You want to reward supertesters? Fine. Give them the $50 ship for free, but let everyone else pay for it. Or, I don't know, give them a special skin.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 16, 2016

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Thundercakes posted:

At least it wasn't just me being crazy, I had them in about the same proportions and I didn't play anything under T6, most games at T9. It's been slowly ramping up over the past week or two with how often I see CV (probably the missions like someone else pointed out), but it's been enough that I've gotten in the habit of looking both CV players up on warships.today and then deciding how puckered my butthole needs to be.

I was basically rolling between t4 to 6. Missions would absolutely be my guess as to why they have become more prevalent. Luckily the Kaiser is pretty nimble for its size so I didn't eat too many torps with it and was able to finish it off and grab the Konig on sale. Same for Karl into Konigsberg. The Cleveland was little rougher because of its size and sluggishness, but it at least can swat some planes down. Beyond that the Kaiser owns. Very good ship. The Karl seems to be garbage, but somehow it worked pretty well for me. Averaged 33k damage per game in it. Might have helped that there was a fair amount of British CAs about. Emeralds and Danaes are citadel cities even at 11km with the Karl.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ZombieLenin posted:

Also, as someone who once worked in the videogame industry, I kind of hate supertesters. Beta players are one thing, because beta players serve a really specific function you cannot get otherwise, but "supertesters" are saving Wargaming around $200k in a way that takes away jobs from people who are already hosed by 90% of the videogame industry's business models.

They're not actually testers at least in my experience, they're more people who try early builds and get asked about the gameplay as well as reporting bugs on the side. That's not the same as actual professional testers.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Graf Spee is coming soon apparently. NDA has dropped as flamu and notser have both posted reviews on them today. Here is Flamu's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q80KkeBP6Ck

He isn't excited for it at all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JuffoWup posted:

Graf Spee is coming soon apparently. NDA has dropped as flamu and notser have both posted reviews on them today. Here is Flamu's:

Oh hey it's my Deutschland, and it's still fat and stupid here like it is in SO!

I love that dumb, ill-conceived bote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

JuffoWup posted:

Also if the Highschool Fleet colab thing someone mentioned earlier actually happens next year you'll probably be able to get an (almost) identical version of the ship without paying. So that's even less reason to buy it.