Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

euphronius posted:

Why do goons love rangers. Weren't they cheap underpowered garbage.

The reason I like them is because they're a very practical size if you don't need a fullsize truck, but they're not mega overpriced like the Toyotas all seem to be. Plus, since they're domestic, parts are available cheaply either from the junkyard or from parts stores.

I didn't think the V6 ones were particularly slow for what they were? The 4-cylinder ones are underpowered, yes, but they are cockroaches.

Did the S-10 do anything better than the Ranger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh I thought they were all 4 cyl.

Never mind.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
S10 interior rattles better

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Car and driver tested the new raptor. Unsurprisingly the transmission programming is still funky

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-crew-cab-test-review

Still, a 5924lb truck does 0-60 in 5.1 seconds and runs a 13.8 second quarter mile.

Imagine a tremor with that same engine in 4500lbs.

I wish Chevy would put the new ZL1 drivetrain into a Silverado

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

euphronius posted:

they were a cheap practical truck for people that aren't obsessed with pretending to care about hunting and TEXAS EDITION

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Proud Christian Mom posted:

they were a cheap practical truck for people that aren't obsessed with pretending to care about hunting and TEXAS EDITION

Not cheap any more. loving things are worth a mint now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We just need a new Isuzu Hombre. Or restart the old line and make more.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sadi posted:

Yeah but I can drop a tool box on its corner in ma silveraydoo

Honda did one of those once where they dumped the load of bricks into the back of a Ridgeline and were like :geno: "well, since the Ridgeline's bed is made of glass-filled nylon composite, the rocks just bounce off." Not even a scratch.

euphronius posted:

They're the proper size of pickup truck for anyone who doesn't use a truck professionally (and a lot of people who do, too). They were once cheap and eh they're underpowered compared to today's offerings but come the gently caress on, it's a beater pickup truck, not a sports car. Definitely not garbage.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Raluek posted:

Did the S-10 do anything better than the Ranger?

Everything. :colbert:

But seriously, the 94-04 s-10s are amazingly durable small trucks. My dad had a 97 with the 2.2 that was finally taken off the road when one of my cousins t-boned someone. My dad was the original owner, put ~175k miles on it in 4 years as a work truck, sold it with a broken throttle cable to my uncle. It passed to two more family members and had 300k+ miles on it when it died. His current s-10 with the 4.3 has ~225k that he put on as the original owner. He liked the first S-10 so much, he special ordered his second so he could have it just the way he wanted it. He swears he will be buried in that loving truck. Both trucks were also on the original trans, rear end and engine and were not babied. The S-10s that come in all have similar stories. I want one so I can slam it and ls swap it. :allears:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I just happened to look on Toyota's website today and noticed they have a corolla "iM" hatchback with a 6speed? When did this happen?

Edit: 137hp :colbert:

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 16, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Aren't the iM's rebadged Mazda 2's?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The little iA sedan is the rebadged Mazda 2, the iM is an Auris iirc.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

I just happened to look on Toyota's website today and noticed they have a corolla "iM" hatchback with a 6speed? When did this happen?

It was a Scion before.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

No one understands Toyota anymore

They just keep buying them

Lemmings

:colbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I should not have said garbage. I just didn't understand why you wouldn't just get a f150.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

2006 Ford Ranger
189" L x 69" W x 66" H
3028 lbs

2017 Ford F-150
209" L x 80" W x 75" H
4050 lbs (minimum)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BraveUlysses posted:

It's a good car. Just needs more oomph.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Goober Peas posted:

No one understands Toyota anymore

They just keep buying them

Lemmings

:colbert:

No, people understand industry-leading long term quality and resale value just fine.

It's funny how internet car people tend to be ignorant of cars beyond what the magazines print in reviews.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sagebrush posted:

2006 Ford Ranger
189" L x 69" W x 66" H
3028 lbs

2017 Ford F-150
209" L x 80" W x 75" H
4050 lbs (minimum)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Yeah, the problem isnt the front row (which, granted, is cavernous). You're limited on width by bed dimensions (50.6" between wheel wells) and length by what looks appropriate for that width.

Plywood between the wheel wells is a big thing to give up, and plywood/pallets is a big portion of the full size truck market. The size also helps with towing stability.

Giving up that capability for the ranger allows for a much smaller set of overall dimensions. It's a different market, but one Ford desperately needs to get back into.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Wheeee posted:

No, people understand industry-leading long term quality and resale value just fine.

It's funny how internet car people tend to be ignorant of cars beyond what the magazines print in reviews.

I don't think Toyotas interior quality is leading the industry anymore

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wheeee posted:

I drive my cars until the wheels fall off, so I have never cared about resale value.

If I buy a Toyota I'm stuck with a boring drudge-mobile for 20 years. Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking oil stain.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It's sometimes hard to remember that for most people a car is just a toaster with wheels-

"yeah man my toaster didn't cost all that much money, doesn't cost that much to maintain and run, and held its value pretty well! During its lifetime it continued to flawlessly toast bread! I'm a little mad that my neighbor has a sexier, flashier toaster but whaddya gonna do?"

That's all it needs to do for most people. Although cars remain a curiously emotional purchase.

I still hate crossovers

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Monkey Fracas posted:

That's all it needs to do for most people. Although cars remain a curiously emotional purchase.

It's a massive and often exciting purchase for people. Thing is, while Internet Car Nerd scoffs at someone excitedly posting about their new "boring underpowered automatic penalty box" that person is stoked about their shiny new car that drives really smooth and has all these neat features and check out the shade of blue it comes in!

It's like the constant pissing contest to see who irrationally hates CUVs the most, car nerds are largely morons and it makes being an industry enthusiast annoying at times.

Did you know the Corolla iM is based on the slightly more upscale global Auris platform with a proper independent rear suspension in place of the torsion beam on the basic Corolla, making it essentially a nicer driving and more practical hatch version of the ridiculously reliable Corolla? Isn't that actually an interesting product given that it also comes extremely well equipped for the price?

Of course not, piece of poo poo only has 136hp, what a joke.

*Drives away in 15 year old Subaru*

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wheeee posted:

Did you know the Corolla iM is based on the slightly more upscale global Auris platform with a proper independent rear suspension in place of the torsion beam on the basic Corolla, making it essentially a nicer driving and more practical hatch version of the ridiculously reliable Corolla? Isn't that actually an interesting product given that it also comes extremely well equipped for the price?

It's like a better Matrix, but Toyota is loving up big time by not selling it as literally a Matrix up here in Canada where that car sold like gangbusters. If anything, it's an unfortunate side effect of the failed Scion experiment, but they should be doing more to fix it.

All the people I know who bought first gen Matrices (and it's a lot) are looking around for a replacement by now and none of them are aware of the existence of the iM, let alone what it is. Subaru is probably getting a good whack of those sales with the still-boring XV and Foresters.

Wheeee posted:

*Drives away in 15 year old Subaru*
Hey, I resemble this remark :( Mine is only 14 right now though.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 17, 2016

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

ilkhan posted:

Yeah, the problem isnt the front row (which, granted, is cavernous). You're limited on width by bed dimensions (50.6" between wheel wells) and length by what looks appropriate for that width.

Plywood between the wheel wells is a big thing to give up, and plywood/pallets is a big portion of the full size truck market. The size also helps with towing stability.

Giving up that capability for the ranger allows for a much smaller set of overall dimensions. It's a different market, but one Ford desperately needs to get back into.

Ford did a big analysis and found that the markets aren't that different, and that the majority of truck buyers would just buy the F-150 if there was no proposed F-100. So instead of having a smaller truck, they decided to make the F-150 lighter.

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

blk posted:

I don't think Toyotas interior quality is leading the industry anymore

Yes, I took a friend car shopping recently and Toyotas are surprisingly bad inside, both in terms of design and materials. I feel like I had 90s Toyotas that were nicer inside than a modern Camry.

In the affordable car segment, I feel like Kia, Hyundai, and Mazda might have the best interiors these days.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

butterbar posted:

Yes, I took a friend car shopping recently and Toyotas are surprisingly bad inside, both in terms of design and materials. I feel like I had 90s Toyotas that were nicer inside than a modern Camry.

In the affordable car segment, I feel like Kia, Hyundai, and Mazda might have the best interiors these days.

Yeah I get tons of rentals and Kia and Chevy are at the top in my opinion. Tho the gm onstar poo poo is a game breaker.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Mazda interiors best interiors. Also the best implementation of physical controls for a big rear end dumb touchscreen.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

moxieman posted:

Mazda interiors best interiors. Also the best implementation of physical controls for a big rear end dumb touchscreen.

Except for the shiny black plastic bits - my three month old 3 already has a bunch of ugly scratches on the plastic around the gear shifter and window switches

Re the Corolla hatch - it may well be a better car than the sedan but it's still not class competitive (it's a difficult class because there are lots of good options)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

butterbar posted:

Ford did a big analysis and found that the markets aren't that different, and that the majority of truck buyers would just buy the F-150 if there was no proposed F-100. So instead of having a smaller truck, they decided to make the F-150 lighter.
Makes sense. IMO the other two trucks that exist are the Taco and the F150, and the Ranger would just be replacing the Taco as the smaller option. Trucks don't belong in garages any, though smaller makes it a lot easier to deal with in urban areas.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Trump has to kill CAFE standards and probably the chicken tax for a true small truck to ever exist again.

The ranger is going to be F-150 height and F-150 length, just narrow enough that your average 'muricans sit shoulder to shoulder.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

Trump has to kill CAFE standards and probably the chicken tax for a true small truck to ever exist again.

The ranger is going to be F-150 height and F-150 length, just narrow enough that your average 'muricans sit shoulder to shoulder.
Theres no reason for it to be full size length. They'll chop 6 inches off the engine bay, 3-4 off the front row, 1-2 off the second row, and no 8' bed option. It'll still be long, but not as long as the F-150 in a similar config. Chicken tax won't apply with US production (afaik)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wheeee posted:

It's a massive and often exciting purchase for people. Thing is, while Internet Car Nerd scoffs at someone excitedly posting about their new "boring underpowered automatic penalty box" that person is stoked about their shiny new car that drives really smooth and has all these neat features and check out the shade of blue it comes in!

Less than half of the people I interact with feel that way about cars. Most seem to care more about cars than I do, frankly.

Even the guy with no money that drives a Hyundai Tiburon cares about his car, it's just not a very good car (but at least it has a manual transmission like the good lord intended, and it's cheap).

Maybe I just hang out with weirdos.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PT6A posted:

Less than half of the people I interact with feel that way about cars. Most seem to care more about cars than I do, frankly.

Even the guy with no money that drives a Hyundai Tiburon cares about his car, it's just not a very good car (but at least it has a manual transmission like the good lord intended, and it's cheap).

Maybe I just hang out with weirdos.

You're here, aren't you?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My girlfriend bought her car "because it was pretty."

Also, we probably SHOULD repeal the chicken tax...

Wikipedia posted:

As an unintended consequence several importers of light trucks have circumvented the tariff via loopholes—including Ford (ostensibly a company that the tax was designed to protect), which imported the Transit Connect light trucks as "passenger vehicles" to the U.S. from Turkey and immediately strips and shreds portions of their interiors, such as installed rear seats, in a warehouse outside Baltimore

:wtc:

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016

KillHour posted:

My girlfriend bought her car "because it was pretty."

Also, we probably SHOULD repeal the chicken tax...

:wtc:

Ford is considering moving some production of the Transit Connect to the US because it was surprisingly popular here. The chicken tax is good because it makes it harder for companies to offshore production to third-world countries

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Protectionism is not a good thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

Protectionism is not a good thing.

Neither is selective globalism.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Can't say I foresee CAFE surviving the next year in it's current iteration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Can't say I foresee CAFE surviving the next year in it's current iteration.

To boost the oil sector all cars will be required to get less than 10/14 mpg town/highway. Anything less than 8 cylinders will be outlawed.