Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm glad that most of you seemed to enjoy Rogue One. Its the first star wars movie I've worked on the visual effects for and it was a fun ride.

Most of my work on it was blowing the poo poo out of stuff in the air and ground side battle on Scarif.

Personally for me its the most enjoyable SW movie to watch since the originals.

The VFX were loving awesome and you are awesome for being involved

Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is there an explanation for Luke's afternoon-of-Jedi-training in ESB (since it was happening at the same time as Leia arriving at Cloud City and getting captured)?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there an explanation for Luke's afternoon-of-Jedi-training in ESB (since it was happening at the same time as Leia arriving at Cloud City and getting captured)?

That time frame has always been tricky. Either Han and Leia spent a long rear end time in the asteroid worm or they spent a long rear end time getting to Cloud City, or Luke did Jedi training in like 2 days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit I didn't quite get what was up with Rebel Vader. I thought they were going to use him to underline the idea that the Rebels were in their own ways as dark as the Empire and then he just sort of fizzles out? He's literally Rebel Darth Vader right down to committing horrible atrocities using mind-magic on his enemies but they don't do much with him.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Falcon's warp drive was broken and they had to go to Cloud City without it. That presumably took a long-rear end time.

The timeframe we see is probably not the actual timeframe, they show show both at once for pacing purposes. You can either assume Luke got his vision before it actually happened or the X-wing having a working hyperdrive meant he got there real quick once he left Dagobah.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
I'm curious people who are complaining about cgi Tarkin. Did you see it in 3d or 2d. Because I saw it in 3d and while it was noticeable at points it never really offended me, detracted from the film, nor broke my immersion.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

got fired from Snopes posted:

I'm curious people who are complaining about cgi Tarkin. Did you see it in 3d or 2d. Because I saw it in 3d and while it was noticeable at points it never really offended me, detracted from the film, nor broke my immersion.

I saw it in 2D and he looked like a really well made video game character when he was moving/talking. He looked pretty normal if he just was standing there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I saw it in 2D and he looked like a really well made video game character when he was moving/talking. He looked pretty normal if he just was standing there.

Yeah, Tarkin looked fine standing still but the moment he began to talk it was absurdly blatant.

Leia just looked distractingly bad.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

WampaLord posted:

Saw it in 3D and this was my opinion as well. Except the first time he was on screen, that was jarring and he looked like he had a bad flu. Flushed and almost looked like he was sweating.

Edit: Did anyone else think he looked older in this than in ANH?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Just got back from seeing it and, while it definitely looked CGI, it never took me out of the film in a bad way. It was just "Oh, poo poo, they brought back Tarkin, that's neat."

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

I saw it in 2D and I thought it looked good. Leia was more noticeably CGI to me, but still not terrible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh my god this movie was so boring. None of the characters felt like they had any consistent motivations (and we barely learn anything about them), most of the dialogue is completely limp, and the pacing makes the plot nearly incomprehensible. The actual cause-and-effect that links scenes and actions are barely there - there's a whole scene about a guy getting his mind read by an alien that makes you go insane, and then in the next scene we see him looking briefly confused before someone uses their Magic Friendship Powers to snap him back to reality, like, wow, big threat. Uh oh, main character is in a dangerous face-off with the main villain! Is she going to do something clever? oh never mind he got shot in the back by the other guy phew thank god she didn't have to do anything or exhibit any kind of power or creativity.

Really, really pretty, though. Gorgeous cinematography, amazing CGI (except for the other bad guy, yikes).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

I saw it in 2D and him along with Leia were completely jarring for me. It was weird because the voice was right. Like I probably couldn't tell between the voice in this film and his previous voice.

Also, I am a huge Cushing fan from his Hammer Horror days so maybe that is it. I realized though that what they gt wrong with his color. He had a very pale stark white color in the original Trilogy and in generally had a pale complexion in real life.

In this he has no such thing. Like the color of his face was off.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh my god this movie was so boring. None of the characters felt like they had any consistent motivations (and we barely learn anything about them), most of the dialogue is completely limp, and the pacing makes the plot nearly incomprehensible. The actual cause-and-effect that links scenes and actions are barely there - there's a whole scene about a guy getting his mind read by an alien that makes you go insane, and then in the next scene we see him looking briefly confused before someone uses their Magic Friendship Powers to snap him back to reality, like, wow, big threat. Uh oh, main character is in a dangerous face-off with the main villain! Is she going to do something clever? oh never mind he got shot in the back by the other guy phew thank god she didn't have to do anything or exhibit any kind of power or creativity.

Really, really pretty, though. Gorgeous cinematography, amazing CGI (except for the other bad guy, yikes).

Thank Christ, I thought I was the only one.

There's so many tiny bullshit moments in this movie like: Darth Vader having a literal doom fortress on a lava planet or Vader making a goddamn pun about choking when choking admiral whats-his-name or Them stealing, wholesale, the planet shield with one opening thing from Spaceballs.

I feel like I could go on forever about the problems in this movie but EVERY review online is talking about how amazing it is. The best way I can describe this movie is that it was probably 4-6 hours long on first cut, but they had to cut it down to the theater time slot, so most of the character motivations got cut and now everyone in the movie is unrelateable.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

LanceKing2200 posted:

Thank Christ, I thought I was the only one.

There's so many tiny bullshit moments in this movie like: Darth Vader having a literal doom fortress on a lava planet or Vader making a goddamn pun about choking when choking admiral whats-his-name

I don't want to try and convince someone to like something they hate, but LOL dude. That's as Darth Vader as it gets? Like... 100% in character.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought the movie made it pretty clear about everyone motivation was " gently caress the goddamn Empire assholes". Like Cassian literally says it to Jyn that everyone has lost someone or lost everything. Cassian's motivation is that the Empire killed his entire family and left him a orphan at 6 years old just like Jyn. Baze and Chirrut were guardians of a holy temple that the empire looted and destroyed. Their motivation is that they hate the goddamn Empire. It's like saying what's the motivation for the soldiers in Saving Private Ryan. Also, Vader having a Lava Fortress is totally loving Vader and he's a sarcastic prick in the OT

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Haven't seen the movie yet but I like this Riz Ahmed guy:

quote:

This franchise has not always had the best record with prequels —

People say that, but I did not have a massive problem with the prequels at all. There were some elements that stood out. Jar Jar Binks, I didn’t enjoy him as a character. But people had a problem with them because they weren’t broad and tough and cheek. I enjoy that. I enjoy the fact that it was about grown-up politics and the dissolution of the League of Nations and World War and the rise of fascism. I really enjoyed that and I really enjoyed Clone Wars. I really don’t see what the big problem is, to be quite honest.

So you think it’s time for people to take another look at the prequels?

If all Star Wars movies were the same, it’d be boring. I hope each new movie adds a new dimension, and I think that’s certainly what Rogue One does.

(I also loved him in Four Lions, which is a really really good movie.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"We intercepted no transmissions! This is a consular ship!"

Which is of course true. From a certain point of view.

Cnut the Great posted:

(I also loved him in Four Lions, which is a really really good movie.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAGO_l_YTbk

(Yes, I know he wasn't Fessal)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Also I really appreciate MAJOR SPOILER Everyone loving dies. I was not expecting that at all

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ How could you not expect that? You know when this movie takes place.

I think I would've been bored to tears if they had stuck in the motivations of everyone. You get the jist of them early enough, you know sitting down that they all die, that was enough.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Random thoughts that haven't been hit too hard here yet:

Saw Gerrara's look is very Vader, with the mechanical limbs and the breathing mask that he gets to palm and then get kooky a la Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet

I had heard rumors of the Tarkin and Leia cameos which I thought were technically amazing, but of course not perfect. I was genuinely surprised at Gold and Red Leader. Maybe I should have been less surprised to see R2 and 3PO, although I loved it. They've been the mainstays for eight films now and will be in VIII of course but surely the Solo movie has to break the streak

People already spotted the Ghost from Rebels in the Scarif battle but apparently there is some ambient loudspeaker chatter paging one of the characters before the battle. I haven't watched the show so I don't know

I was really hoping they would have the nerve to kill everyone off and put a definitive ending on the story (with of course the baton-pass to IV), and they did it. Had a great time. It feels like such a different beast from the Episodes that I find it hard to rank. Likewise I find it hard to say whether I like this one of TFA more.

Sure am excited about all these star wars

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
When Saw takes a puff from his breathing apparatus, I noticed two things

1. I swear they sampled VaderWheeze.wav for a split second
2. Boddhi winces, like he's been around Vader before

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's super obviously meant to be reminiscent if not the exact same sound. Thematically linking them because he's become too much of a zealot or something. I really didn't care for his character.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Silver Brushes posted:

People already spotted the Ghost from Rebels in the Scarif battle but apparently [spoiler]there is some ambient loudspeaker chatter paging one of the characters before the battle. I haven't watched the show so I don't know

Ghost Is also parked on the Yavin 4 landing pad on the left of frame in a few shots.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Chopper is also briefly seen on Yavin IV.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hollismason posted:

I thought the movie made it pretty clear about everyone motivation was " gently caress the goddamn Empire assholes". Like Cassian literally says it to Jyn that everyone has lost someone or lost everything. Cassian's motivation is that the Empire killed his entire family and left him a orphan at 6 years old just like Jyn. Baze and Chirrut were guardians of a holy temple that the empire looted and destroyed. Their motivation is that they hate the goddamn Empire. It's like saying what's the motivation for the soldiers in Saving Private Ryan. Also, Vader having a Lava Fortress is totally loving Vader and he's a sarcastic prick in the OT

I'm not talking about their overall motivations, I mean that there's nothing to them as characters. There's nothing happening behind their faces, they're just buffeted along by the plot while looking blandly determined or sad or triumphant. What motivates them as characters? The acting does little to tell us and the movie does almost nothing to fill in. Oh, she lost her father and got abandoned by her protector and wound up in a labor camp. That's literally all we know. She's just Defiant British Girl #32C who goes on Purpose-Filing Mission #43A. The character interactions tell us next to nothing about them that we don't already know, which is super unfulfilling to watch.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I noticed this too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm not talking about their overall motivations, I mean that there's nothing to them as characters. There's nothing happening behind their faces, they're just buffeted along by the plot while looking blandly determined or sad or triumphant. What motivates them as characters? The acting does little to tell us and the movie does almost nothing to fill in. Oh, she lost her father and got abandoned by her protector and wound up in a labor camp. That's literally all we know. She's just Defiant British Girl #32C who goes on Purpose-Filing Mission #43A. The character interactions tell us next to nothing about them that we don't already know, which is super unfulfilling to watch.

It feels like you could plug in Luke's info here and get the same argument, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Luke wants to leave Tatooine. He has an aunt and uncle and a dead dad. That's literally all we know.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The characters in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story were shallow and vaguely motivated, but the film as a whole was structured in such a way that it was not harmed as badly by this as it would have been were it structured like a Star Wars Episode.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

WampaLord posted:

It feels like you could plug in Luke's info here and get the same argument, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Luke wants to leave Tatooine. He has an aunt and uncle and a dead dad. That's literally all we know.

And then he spends the whole movie having dialogue that fills his character out and saying it in a charismatic way that makes us understand what his internal conflicts and desires are, which British Girl decidedly does not do.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

And then he spends the whole movie having dialogue that fills his character out and saying it in a charismatic way that makes us understand what his internal conflicts and desires are, which British Girl decidedly does not do.

Also we spend a good half hour of screen time with Luke on Tatooine learning his motivations/dreams/goals/personality by seeing rather than telling. Captain not-Solo has two lines about how he lost people to the Empire too, but with Luke we learn about how he wants to be a pilot, about how his friends have left him behind because their families didn't stop them, about how he finds his home life boring and he wants to find adventure. You can tell by the way he's attracted to Ben's stories and ideology, and by the way he reacts to R2 running away. He get's upset because its going to get him into trouble which means it will be even longer before his uncle lets him leave. We learn so much more about Luke than just what his family situation is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Han Solo is not strongly developed in the original film but in comparison he has a more strong thematic counterpoint to Luke (and Leia, eventually.)

He actually fills the same niche as Jyn does. He's a cynical disbeliever who doesn't really see much reason to the Rebel cause. He's there for the money but his time and interactions with the other characters eventually cause him to come back and join them. Jyn doesn't really have someone who fills that niche for her. She has like 3 lines to anyone who isn't Cassain and Cassain is a bit too vague a character to really bounce strongly off Jyn in the way they wanted. (If they'd been more willing to embrace the Dark Side Of The Rebels or, alternately, Jyn having a dark side herself than they might have done more but it feels like both sides got smoothed over in favor of a less morally ambiguous third act.)

Seriously, why the hell does Cassain stop Jyn from killing the imperial dude? Neither of them are pure angels and there's no real reason he'd want to risk leaving a guy like that alive based off what we've seen.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Luke staring at the Twin Suns by itself is more character development and insight than we get for any character in the entirety of R1

Seriously explain to me why they were fighting on the ship after they left the rain planet. What was causing everyone to be upset at one another and then what took place to make them not upset at one another?

ImpAtom posted:

Han Solo is not strongly developed in the original film but in comparison he has a more strong thematic counterpoint to Luke (and Leia, eventually.)

He actually fills the same niche as Jyn does. He's a cynical disbeliever who doesn't really see much reason to the Rebel cause. He's there for the money but his time and interactions with the other characters eventually cause him to come back and join them. Jyn doesn't really have someone who fills that niche for her. She has like 3 lines to anyone who isn't Cassain and Cassain is a bit too vague a character to really bounce strongly off Jyn in the way they wanted. (If they'd been more willing to embrace the Dark Side Of The Rebels or, alternately, Jyn having a dark side herself than they might have done more but it feels like both sides got smoothed over in favor of a less morally ambiguous third act.)

Seriously, why the hell does Cassain stop Jyn from killing the imperial dude? Neither of them are pure angels and there's no real reason he'd want to risk leaving a guy like that alive based off what we've seen.

There's no way there isn't earlier drafts of the script where Jin is the extremist and Diego Luna is the soft hand. Why they didn't do a rebellion yin/yang with those two is so baffling

I mean you even had Rebel Vader train Jin, and in the first teaser it sounds like he's trying to pull her back from an edge.

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 17, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

Luke staring at the Twin Suns by itself is more character development and insight than we get for any character in the entirety of R1

Seriously explain to me why they were fighting on the ship after they left the rain planet. What was causing everyone to be upset at one another and then what took place to make them not upset at one another?

Jyn was upset that her father died and was looking for someone to blame. That's the entirety of it, and therefore I guess we're supposed to take all her comments as just being upset and not needing resolution.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Jyn was upset that her father died and was looking for someone to blame. That's the entirety of it, and therefore I guess we're supposed to take all her comments as just being upset and not needing resolution.

Pretty much. If you didn't get this then congratulations on your autism

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I hear you--I was being a bit rhetorical because there are events that happen, yeah, but none of it feels remotely earned IMO

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It feels so rote and utilitarian.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It feels so rote and utilitarian.

Now the characters have to FIGHT! Because REASONS! Shattered pasts! ~DRAMA~

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Not to quote myself but this online theory turned out to be correct in a big way.

Silver Brushes posted:

I don't know if I should spoiler a fan theory or not, but what do you think about the notion (not mine) that Jyn's dad intentionally incorporated the exhaust port design flaw ?

And almost everyone in the thread that discussed it said it was an awful idea, and some had good arguments as to why. How does everyone feel about it now?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

The characters in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story were shallow and vaguely motivated, but the film as a whole was structured in such a way that it was not harmed as badly by this as it would have been were it structured like a Star Wars Episode.

Having seen the film now, I'm wondering about this. Did the writers go in with the intention of killing everyone off, and therefore decide they only needed to sketch the characters; or did they come up with the characters first, find they couldn't find a satisfying way to continue their stories, and therefore decide to kill them off?

I really enjoyed this movie. But to me it's weird to have a film in this saga, even an ancillary one, where essentially every new thing gets deleted. Ancient Jedi city? Death Starred. Imperial research lab? Bombed to hell. Imperial archive planet? Death Starred. Lyra Erso? Shot. Galen Erso? Bombed. The new heroes and villains? All Death Starred.

I'm not saying this is a failure of the film or anything. It's obviously not a mistake. But it's just strange that the film is sort of obsessed with not mattering. I mean, the plot matters, but no one in it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ImpAtom posted:

the problem is that she just gives it up so easily.

• Locked thread