Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
So is she saying she...didn't send those journalists her regards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People are gullible as gently caress, there are plenty of services for those with legit needs. If someone is asking for cash it's because either they aren't poor/homeless or they want to buy drugs/alcohol/scratch tickets or whatever isn't available from the services.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cowofwar posted:

People are gullible as gently caress, there are plenty of services for those with legit needs. If someone is asking for cash it's because either they aren't poor/homeless or they want to buy drugs/alcohol/scratch tickets or whatever isn't available from the services.

That is incredibly untrue and you're a terrible, ignorant, hateful person. I hope you find yourself needing help someday, so you can try out those "plentiful" services for yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That is incredibly untrue and you're a terrible, ignorant, hateful person. I hope you find yourself needing help someday, so you can try out those "plentiful" services for yourself.

cowofwar is bad and wrong, but I wouldn't wish poverty on anyone.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

cowofwar posted:

I don't know where you live, but in America, there are millions of people living in poverty who don't qualify for SNAP.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I thought in America if you are poor you either join the military or commit a crime so you get free food.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 16, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cowofwar posted:

I forgot this wasn't a Canadian thread. Melon_cat is a Canadian recounting a story of Canadian begging.

Cool go be destitute in Canada and see how you like it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cowofwar posted:

I forgot this wasn't a Canadian thread. Melon_cat is a Canadian recounting a story of Canadian begging.

Yea poverty must be awesome when it becomes too cold to sleep outside.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
gently caress private charity.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cowofwar posted:

I thought in America if you are poor you either join the military or commit a crime so you get free food.

The ultra-rare edit to make your post even worse, impressive. I hope you die cold and hungry while someone just like you scolds you for being lazy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cowofwar posted:

As of yesterday, there were 13 beds available in women's shelters, and 11 in youth shelters, in the city of Toronto. Hardly a wealth of capacity for those in need.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WampaLord posted:

Yea poverty must be awesome when it becomes too cold to sleep outside.

The story was set on a snowy night. The commuters might not have bought the beggar's story at all but felt enough pity to all pitch in enough for him to go get a hotel room. Sleeping outside in the Canadian snow would be a death sentence.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I dunno, I think the first part of the bolded sentence is very true.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I don't care, enjoy your dogpile. Giving beggars money is BWM.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think it's fine to give beggars money, just as long as they can produce a budget and preferably show 12 months expenses/income to see how good they are at sticking to it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I think it's fine to give beggars money, just as long as they can produce a budget and preferably show 12 months expenses/income to see how good they are at sticking to it.

At the very least I need to see their bank statement so I know they're actually in need.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Or the government can do what it is good at and institute targeted and broad based socioeconomic policy that provides economic security to all citizens funded by progressive taxation and redistribution instead of relying on private charity which is inefficient and does not provide effectively to those who need it most.

I'm not going to give some random dude about whom I know nothing a tenner just because voters can't manage to not vote against their self-interest for ten minutes in their FYGM craze for lower taxes and lower spending on "others". Charity is inefficient and BWM.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

cowofwar posted:

Charity is inefficient and BWM.

Charity is pretty good at helping the homeless. I mean, a strong benefit system would be better, but throwing a few bucks at your local shelter does plenty of good in the meantime.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Screw the bird. This is the most hilarious this thread has gotten in months.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

BarbarianElephant posted:

Charity is pretty good at helping the homeless. I mean, a strong benefit system would be better, but throwing a few bucks at your local shelter does plenty of good in the meantime.

I think this is part of his point, crass as he may be. Shelters should be funded rather than individuals. If you give $10 to someone on the street then at best they'll buy a big mac combo and be fed for a day. That same $10 will go much further with an organization that benefits from economy of scale to better feed, clothe, and shelter those who need it.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
In line to get some food, I saw some obviously homeless dude trying to buy a cheeseburger and he was like $0.30 short. The person at the counter was giving him a hard time about it so I just paid for all of it.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't partially to get the line moving again because I was impatient and hungry but still, it helped that guy get some food. :shrug:

Obv charity sucks for what its purpose is but "this is not the most efficient use of my money charity-wise" is kinda a weird line of logic for not helping someone out sometimes. My friends call me a bleeding heart though maybe that's why.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm not really sure how you give to beggars in some cities. When I was in D.C. you could give to one person and look up and see 10 more on the same street that you still had to walk by. It's like advertising in the Yellow Pages where you really want a name like Aaaaalbert Albertson so people see you first. Or roll the dice and hope by the time they get to Zachery Zim their resolve has finally broken and you get the buck fifty in spare change.

Seconding the idea of giving to shelters because of that sweet sweet tax deduction. "You get a dollar and I get back 30 cents!"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
In Vancouver, there are many shelters available for the homeless, but many of the people currently on the street refuse to use them because they can't drink/get high while staying there, or have chronic mental problems, or been previously kicked out of the shelters for the same reasons.

However, the city's current fentanyl and upcoming carfentanyl crisis will probably take care of that very soon.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

For someone so eager to call people out for being terrible and hateful you sure seem to get probated a lot for being terrible and hateful.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It's almost axiomatic that people with the resources to beg for money online or set up a go fund me are the least deserving of charity, on top of which the Internet is rife with liars. You are almost guaranteed to be wasting money and funding career conmen if you aren't physically putting money into a person's hand. And anyway charitable gifts to individuals are inefficient.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Dillbag posted:

In Vancouver, there are many shelters available for the homeless, but many of the people currently on the street refuse to use them because they can't drink/get high while staying there, or have chronic mental problems, or been previously kicked out of the shelters for the same reasons.

However, the city's current fentanyl and upcoming carfentanyl crisis will probably take care of that very soon.
This is largely the fault of the provincial governments in the 90s who, after having many costs downloaded to them by the federal government which was trying to balance its budget, then turned around and cut their costs (most of which is healthcare) by closing all the mental health institutions. This was BWM because turning all those people back in to society to fend for themselves basically resulted in 50% ending up in jail (prison costs more) and 50% living on the streets with substance abuse problems (driving up ER costs and other less quantifiable costs to society).

But taxpayers don't give a gently caress about the mentally ill so they got a pass and now the DTES is a poo poo hole as a result. Governments could be like twice as good at providing services with only a slight increase in funding.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

the last signal... posted:

For someone so eager to call people out for being terrible and hateful you sure seem to get probated a lot for being terrible and hateful.

Don't do this here either, thanks!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Also I am BWM because I have a cat and have to move across the country but animals can only be in the cargo holds for a couple months of the year due to temperature so we had to buy a special carrier and then get special tickets so he could be under the seat in front of us. Also we are at the whim of anyone who says they have cat allergies and could be bumped flights as a result.

$6,000 to move all the stuff. $2,000 to move the car. Much $ each month to rent a furnished temp apartment, then $ on selling the old house and buying a new house. Tax write off but jeez moving is way more expensive as an adult. When I moved across the country before I had two suitcases and an economy ticket and crashed at a family friend until I found a room to rent.

Do never move.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Also I am BWM because I have a cat and have to move across the country but animals can only be in the cargo holds for a couple months of the year due to temperature so we had to buy a special carrier and then get special tickets so he could be under the seat in front of us. Also we are at the whim of anyone who says they have cat allergies and could be bumped flights as a result.

$6,000 to move all the stuff. $2,000 to move the car. Much $ each month to rent a furnished temp apartment, then $ on selling the old house and buying a new house. Tax write off but jeez moving is way more expensive as an adult. When I moved across the country before I had two suitcases and an economy ticket and crashed at a family friend until I found a room to rent.

Do never move.

I have always wondered about the allergies/pets under seats thing.

We moved our cat to Australia, which is peak BWM: pre-departure vet visits, special IATA carrier, sending as air cargo, quarantine fees on the Australian side, etc. Nobody could/would take her for "a few years-indefinitely" so we didn't have a choice, I think it was something like US$3k we could barely afford (and a tonne of hassle) for a cat that cost $1 originally.

tl;dr - Being an emotionless husk is GWM.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm all for giving to causes, as long as none of it goes to the poors.

Oh and I guess this is as good a place as any to ask, but how do I come to that sweet spot between reasonable and BWM when planning to buy an engagement ring? I thankfully have a girlfriend who doesn't care about having an expensive wedding here (though we'll have to travel for a big celebration in her home country we won't pay for), but I would like to fulfill that silly fantasy for her by surprising her with something nice. I'm assuming it will be the one and only marriage heh.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 17, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Yes we all know how much you love Trump :rolleyes:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Moneyball posted:

Oh and I guess this is as good a place as any to ask, but how do I come to that sweet spot between reasonable and BWM when planning to buy an engagement ring? I thankfully have a girlfriend who doesn't care about having an expensive wedding here (though we'll have to travel for a big celebration in her home country we won't pay for), but I would like to fulfill that silly fantasy for her by surprising her with something nice. I'm assuming it will be the one and only marriage heh.

Do like my husband did and buy her a fuckin car instead, she'll love it.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Just treat it like any other luxury purchase. No such thing as BWM if you can afford it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Moneyball posted:

start sending her articles about how people literally die for a rock that's made valuable by artificial scarcity.

eventually she associates diamonds with death and evil.

buy her a small band instead.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

start sending her articles about how people literally die for a rock that's made valuable by artificial scarcity.

eventually she associates diamonds with death and evil.

buy her a small band instead.

Yeah but being able to own a worthless rock that poor people literally died to bring you means you're better than them

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah but being able to own a worthless rock that poor people literally died to bring you means you're better than them

Dammit, the status argument! It also means that you are better than people with inferior murder rocks.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
There are alternatives to diamonds... Moissanite, amora, sapphire are all good choices.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My friend got his fiancee this really nice ring with inlaid labradorite which has a bunch of swirly blue colors that are super pretty and look different depending on how you look at it and the whole thing cost like $200 and didn't involve any murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Beggars should plant someone in the train car to "give" them money because I've noticed that people are more likely to give if someone else did so first.

Not me though. I have no heart.

I've seen this, although not beggars, just scammers. Three people got on one subway car at one station, and then did a 3 card Monte trick that suckered a whole bunch of people on the train until some bright spark realized several stops later that the scammers all got off at the same station too. I really don't know how people can be so dumb.

• Locked thread