Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone here got a gscartsw?
Hi, I have one

It's good

Audio squeaks a bit when you turn on/off anything plugged into it, though it's not really a dealbreaker

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A lot of Capcom's SNES games have music that's clearly out of tune or off-key. Megaman X3's probably the absolute worst but Final Fight and their Mickey Mouse games are pretty bad as well
Funny, I thought X3 was around where they got their act together.

Final Fight, though... :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Ofecks posted:

Were there any Saturn games that actually used its crazy FM chip for music?

The SCSP was pretty good with samples too, so I don't think there are too many. It was probably much easier to use CD tracks, stream compressed music, or use samples. Nights has dynamic music, so it may be close to what you're looking for.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Shadow Hog posted:

Hi, I have one

It's good

Audio squeaks a bit when you turn on/off anything plugged into it, though it's not really a dealbreaker

Thank you! Mine does this too and I thought it was something specific to my set up. I'm glad to hear it's not only mine.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Djarum posted:

Rock n Roll Racing is pretty fantastic in MSU-1, as is the Zeldas. I am quite looking forward to someone getting Final Fantasy 6 working with it. I think the opera scene with actual opera singers would be fantastic.

I have bought all my carts from them. They are based out of Ohio so I have to wait 1-2 days before I receive my order. I am not thrilled about their labels as I am in the middle of having to butcher my SD2SNES cart shell to get the label they glued on off but they do good work.

drat, looks like they're out of stock of the NES Everdrive. What do you mean about the label? It looks like the one they have is somehow different than the normal Everdrive label. Is that what you're referring to?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

So Aliexpress is selling replacement GBA-SP backlit screens now, for anyone who wanted to install one in an original GBA (or just fix their old AGS-101): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-SP-GBA-SP-Screen-LCD-OEM-Backlit-Brighter-Highlight/32622199888.html

Anyone know if these are just new old stock that someone found in a warehouse, or if they are newly manufactured screens?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Macintosh HD posted:

drat, looks like they're out of stock of the NES Everdrive. What do you mean about the label? It looks like the one they have is somehow different than the normal Everdrive label. Is that what you're referring to?

So evidently of you get the light pipes installed on your cart shell (and you should they look great and are functional as hell) they glue on their cart label and then drill the hole for the light pipe so it looks flawless. Problem is for myself is I have access to a printer that printed original screen printed OEM labels in the 80s and 90s. So I wanted to print a label I designed and put it on. I put on my order to not put it on but in the Black Friday rush he didn't get a chance to talk to me about it. He apologized and I am not THAT upset about it.

Getting the glue off of the label and cart shell seems to be harder than I expected. I might just order a replacement shell and craft my own. Again I am the 1% of the 1% so don't take my problem as anything again Stoneage Gamer since they do great work there and have been perfectly happy otherwise.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

So what do we think of this? https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retroengine-sigma-mini-console-media-player-cool#/

Think this will actually happen?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's a loving Raspberry Pi.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Strictly speaking it's a clone, but..yeah if you wanted that just buy a case for a RPi3 and put RetroPie on it. Probably be cheaper anyway.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So I looked up what Gizmodo said about it, given that was the only place on that list I've heard of. It pretty much was "If you want to emulate a bunch of games and don't care about them being perfect and are too lazy to set something up yourself then maybe you might want this."

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

univision why

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh poo poo it was featured on OMG! Ubuntu!? Well, that just changes everything!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My favourite thing is its not Bluetooth without a dongle, so they're not even using a Pi 3 for it. I seriously can't believe they've gotten nearly $400k for a Raspberry Pi running RetroArch in a cool case.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I swear you can hear the whistling sound of a whopping cease-and-desist falling from the heavens towards it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

quote:

However, the truth of the matter is that these first games were excellent examples of design simplicity and component minimization because at that time only relatively crude effects were enough to fascinate eager players. Today, jaded players have become bored by the myriad of variations of these first games and increasingly more dramatic game action is required to stimulate the average player

That's from 1976, less than four years after Pong hit and a year before Space Invaders really kicks the arcade into high gear. The more things change...

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

space invaders was the first genuinely good video game

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Pong is fun as gently caress if you're using paddle controllers. With digital ones it's pretty mediocre

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Djarum posted:

So evidently of you get the light pipes installed on your cart shell (and you should they look great and are functional as hell) they glue on their cart label and then drill the hole for the light pipe so it looks flawless. Problem is for myself is I have access to a printer that printed original screen printed OEM labels in the 80s and 90s. So I wanted to print a label I designed and put it on. I put on my order to not put it on but in the Black Friday rush he didn't get a chance to talk to me about it. He apologized and I am not THAT upset about it.

Getting the glue off of the label and cart shell seems to be harder than I expected. I might just order a replacement shell and craft my own. Again I am the 1% of the 1% so don't take my problem as anything again Stoneage Gamer since they do great work there and have been perfectly happy otherwise.

Tossing the front cart shell in a ziplock bag with some Goo-Gone for an hour usually takes care of most labels.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

My favourite thing is its not Bluetooth without a dongle, so they're not even using a Pi 3 for it. I seriously can't believe they've gotten nearly $400k for a Raspberry Pi running RetroArch in a cool case.

The campaign is actually financially smart. The early birds were all cheaper than a fully featured RetroPi/shell/controller from other sellers. Now that they got the world's attention from literally every tech reviewer they can sell everyone else at full price.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I swear you can hear the whistling sound of a whopping cease-and-desist falling from the heavens towards it.

Should of used a Jaguar case, I'm sure the Coleco Chameleon guy has no need for them now :v:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

d0s posted:

space invaders was the first genuinely good video game

https://insertcredit.com/2012/11/14/ten-games-pong-is-better-than/

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

jesus this is giving me mid 2000s "new games journalism" flashbacks :suicide:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Monitor Burn posted:

Tossing the front cart shell in a ziplock bag with some Goo-Gone for an hour usually takes care of most labels.

Tried Goo-Gone on this. It is like they used wood glue or something. It's not like I don't have access to a billion SFC cart shells for next to nothing and I can do the light piping again it is just inconvenient.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I use a heat gun to get labels off cart shells. Works really well and leaves little to no residue. Just don't go crazy and melt the cart or something.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I bought Yolo Wizards RECO PCB, thing is super awesome. It's a synced autofire and button remapper board for JAMMA setups and I feel like it's almost essential for anyone messing with arcade stuff, particularly if you're into shooters. You can do something like make two buttons map to the shot button so you can apply autofire to only one of them, great for games like Blazing Star or Strikers 1945 that have charge shots. I actually had both remapping and autofire capability on my supergun sticks but the autofire was "dumb" (not tied to the game's VSYNC) and remapping required messing with a patch bay. With the RECO you do everything with button presses, it's fantastic.

This is actually an older version and has kind of a strange layout with the JAMMA edge on top which is not really ideal for me but I saved some cash so I don't really mind. RGB on shmups forum makes these, you can get em here

d0s fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 17, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

senrath posted:

So I looked up what Gizmodo said about it, given that was the only place on that list I've heard of. It pretty much was "If you want to emulate a bunch of games and don't care about them being perfect and are too lazy to set something up yourself then maybe you might want this."

Tom's Guide is legit, but it's also the kind of website that will publish a review based on any project involving Linux.

d0s posted:

jesus this is giving me mid 2000s "new games journalism" flashbacks :suicide:

The article was written by Tim Rogers so it should.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm selling some loose carts and the like in SA-Mart, mainly Super Famicom and Genesis with a few NES titles and Pomping World for the PC Engine CD:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802045

Nothing mondo super spectacular, but if you're new to retrogaming, know someone who is, or just want some cheap original "player" copies of games, maybe check it out!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm replaying MD Sparkster and while it's not as awful as I remembered it still sucks for starting with a really awful robot battle setpiece that goes on for way too long and retroactively ruins the robot battles in the other games.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

why would you sell xexyz that game is dank

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

why would you sell xexyz that game is dank

TO BE HARDCORE MERCILESS.

Also, I guess, I got it on the Everdrive so I don't know that I really need a cartridge copy cluttering things up.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I agree with at least half of these.

Also, he mentioned playing connect 4 with a metronome. I need to try that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm replaying MD Sparkster and while it's not as awful as I remembered it still sucks for starting with a really awful robot battle setpiece that goes on for way too long and retroactively ruins the robot battles in the other games.

It's a helluva lot better than SNES Sparkster's mech fight, let me tell you.

A lot of people say SNES Sparkster is better but playing them back to back I can't agree at all. The Genesis game is rough but it's a solidly designed action platformer while the SNES game is littered with instant death traps and and unseen obstacles. It's the Sonic the Hedgehog problem where the game encourages you to be fast but punishes for it except unlike Sonic there's only one way through the levels.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
All speed-based 2D platformers from that era suffer the same problem: the camera sucks because they can't give you a decent worldview at the resolutions of the day.

2D speedrun platforming requires a dynamic, or at least very SPACIOUS, camera to provide the player with sufficient information to make the gameplay fair.

Games like N(+(+)) and Dustforce and Sonic Generations do this right. All the classic Sonics, the Sparksters, and Freedom Planet fail miserably.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

A lot of people say SNES Sparkster is better

those people are insane

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dustforce is nearly the perfect platformer. Too bad it's so boring and there's still no official controller support.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

DoctorWhat posted:

All speed-based 2D platformers from that era suffer the same problem: the camera sucks because they can't give you a decent worldview at the resolutions of the day.

2D speedrun platforming requires a dynamic, or at least very SPACIOUS, camera to provide the player with sufficient information to make the gameplay fair.

In my opinion, this was a solved problem as of GTA(1) so Freedom Planet doesn't really have any excuse.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DalaranJ posted:

In my opinion, this was a solved problem as of GTA(1) so Freedom Planet doesn't really have any excuse.

I mean, I agree, very much so.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Dustforce is nearly the perfect platformer. Too bad it's so boring and there's still no official controller support.

BORING!?

what planet are you from?!

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 18, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't feel like Freedom Planet does suffer from that problem, though, for two basic reasons:
  1. No contact damage with enemies - they have to be actively attacking for damage to be dealt, a la Doom. That eliminates most of the problems you'd run into with being flung into enemies, right there.
  2. It's widescreen, so you can see more of what's ahead of you at any given moment.
Of course, I also didn't think the old Sonics suffered from it that much either, but that's probably because my playstyle tends to be slower than average anyway; I always liked hitting up every secret nook & cranny in a level. Trying to speedrun it from the first attempt, though, yeah, doesn't end well. (Better than in the Dimps Sonic games, at least...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Freedom Planet is good enough that I, one day, want to make a tabletop cabinet with custom graphics etc that is dedicated to it.

The story is bad enough that I want to lock out that option in the title screen.

Maybe I'd also put some Sanic games on there, too.

• Locked thread