Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/kevin-garnett-playfuly-roasting-craig-sagers-suits-will-1790165227

Yeah KG and Sager did that for like a decade. It was great. Deadspin found a bunch of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Sad as I am that Sager died, I can't be the only one curious as to what his burial suit will look like.

e - I also feel like KG needs to rip on the suit during Sager's wake for old times' sake.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 16, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/GeraldBourguet/status/809557950641471488

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pop is a loving national treasure :unsmith:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's a good idea because the previous channel ruled but the branding of it sucked rear end.

As I understand it, many of the contracts in the US for these sports are tied in with the Olympics so they have a wealth of poo poo they already have rights to without a significant place to showcase it.

Also NBC somehow manages to sell ads for stations with no audience so they can better take a risk on a small station.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DJExile posted:

Pop is a loving national treasure :unsmith:

relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psUA7aGBQio

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:unsmith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xMvztr-Wo

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

FuzzySkinner posted:

Only if Bill Burr is doing it.

Bill Burr had some of the funniest bits. Like he was comparing how Michael Douglas was walking on stage on an awards show to Montiana leading a drive in the Super Bowl. Normally when a guy like Simmons is doing it? it's hokie and lame.

Burr? Hilarious. Also Bill Burr doesn't constantly whine about boston sports on his podcast all the time.

Ol' Billy Baker boy is funny as hell but I still fast forward through the Boston homerism and his byzantine college sports allegiances

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the context for this? Did Garnett just lose a tough game? Does he just always deadpan his smack talk? I was trying to find the humor but it just seemed mean. :(

I didn't see a problem with it. Seems like joking around between friends, or at least friendly acquaintances. Sager seemed like a guy with a good sense of humor and thought it was funny.

I could be totally off base and maybe Sager was pissed afterwards and/or KG was being a dick, but it didn't appear to be that way to me.

And o/t but I would watch the loving poo poo out of an Olympics channel.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 16, 2016

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the context for this? Did Garnett just lose a tough game? Does he just always deadpan his smack talk? I was trying to find the humor but it just seemed mean. :(

Your Taint posted:

I didn't see a problem with it. Seems like joking around between friends, or at least friendly acquaintances. Sager seemed like a guy with a good sense of humor and thought it was funny.

I could be totally off base and maybe Sager was pissed afterwards and/or KG was being a dick, but it didn't appear to be that way to me.

And o/t but I would watch the loving poo poo out of an Olympics channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDB4hnFjJ-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNBYeu18y8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY11De7h3BQ

It was sort of a tradition to hate on Sagers suit. KG was one of Sagers best pals and they joke around in every interview. KG was iirc the very first person to call Sager when he heard the news and sent him a ton of flowers as a get well present. I think one of the reasons it might have come off mean is if you haven't watched the NBA much but watch a lot of football where it is so sanitized that there is no personality. Craig was probably the most beloved person in the NBA and KG is also a legendary trash talker.

That suit was real bad though.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 16, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, this question really has to be asked: worse suits: Don Cherry or Craig Sager?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

iospace posted:

Ok, this question really has to be asked: worse suits: Don Cherry or Craig Sager?

Don Cherry without question. Craig Sager wore suits that no one in their right mind could pull off. The dude carried himself with such swagger about his wardrobe that he could actually make most of them work.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo look who's back :stare:

Woody Paige and Jay loving Mariotti are going to start a podcast on January 3

quote:

“Love the name of the show — and not just because I came up with it,” Mariotti said in an official release. “It means there are no filters, no mute buttons, no PC police, just honest and smart sports discussions in the current climate of fake news, trashy websites and corporate sanitizing. This is going to be a blast, going at it with Woody again. We were drawing about a million viewers some afternoons on ATH. Someone was watching, apparently.”

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 16, 2016

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Finally, sports talk that doesn't hold back

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Mariotti got into it with pftcommenter on twitter the other day and it was the first time I thought of him in...well quite a while at least.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

This'll be worth it if it makes Paige say something that gets his rear end canned.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jay Mariotti is the turd that won't flush of the sports media world

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Benne posted:

Jay Mariotti is the turd that won't flush of the sports media world

I thought that was Phil Simms

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

iospace posted:

I thought that was Phil Simms

While it may only take one turd to ruin the punch bowl, there absolutely is room for a greater number.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Jay Mariotti blocked me on twitter because I said something disparaging about him without tagging him.

Same thing that got me with Kawakami and Peter Vescey.

Thin skinned idiot pricks.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Jay Mariotti blocked me on twitter because I said something disparaging about him without tagging him.

Same thing that got me with Kawakami and Peter Vescey.

Thin skinned idiot pricks.
You really surprised that Pete Vescey is thin-skinned though?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
people watched around the horn because it was prime time on espn

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I watch it because I put it on at work instead of a news channel

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

corn on the cop posted:

people watched around the horn because it was prime time on espn

i thought the show would be doa after max left

also tv last decade seems like ancient times now

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Crazy Ted posted:

You really surprised that Pete Vescey is thin-skinned though?

For the record he blocked me because I said "Did Peter Vescey really just call Vivek Ranadive Aladdin? That's some racist garbage"

It also means all 3 of them search their own names so :lol::lol::lol:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
loving lol jesus I haven't thought about Mariotti since the days when I watched ATH every day.

Speaking of, does Woody Paige have a podcast? That could be entertaining, right?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Mariotti got into it with pftcommenter on twitter the other day and it was the first time I thought of him in...well quite a while at least.

How do you get in a fight with pftcommenter? That's like trying to fight @dril?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

loving lol if Jay Mariotti thought people were watching Around The Horn for him and not because it was an okay option for 5pm.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bip Roberts posted:

How do you get in a fight with pftcommenter? That's like trying to fight @dril?

He didn't know who pft was and took the bait basically, as in the same thing pftcommenter always does set him off. Then Mariotta tried to pull some 'I'm important and you're a dumb blogger' thing when everyone else on twitter started making fun of him from what I can tell.

It was definitely the type of defense where he would have played the "I have more followers than you" except...well. Yeah.

e: Oh unless things have been deleted Mariotti just called him out for no reason and then someone ran his own bad tweets about bloggers back at him? I don't know.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 17, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah they didn't really get into it. He just tweeted something like "Who is PFTCommenter and why is he afraid to use his real name?" and everyone made fun of him. So basically every Mariotti tweet.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Jay Mariotti really hates "bloggers," despite him quickly becoming one.

He hates them almost as much as he hates not beating his wife.

He also already has a "podcast" on his site with literally dozens of listens.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ATH got infinitely times more watchable once they dumped Mariotti

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Benne posted:

ATH got infinitely times more watchable once they dumped Mariotti

Infinity times 0 is still 0 (edit: Wait, no, it's undefined. That doesn't work as well.)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fun fact: Jay Mariotti has the third most ATH wins despite not being on the show in years.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Fun fact: Jay Mariotti has the third most ATH wins despite not being on the show in years.

Fun fact: I have no ATH wins and that makes me better than anyone who does.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I feel so dirty for admitting this but I actually enjoy watching Around the Horn and I cannot adequately explain why. I guess I just enjoy Tony Reali? he seems to have the only good sports opinions at ESPN other than Lebatard.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Around the Horn's theme is currently performed by my favorite band, so for that reason alone it's cool in my book.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always liked it because you get a bunch of ~HOT TAKES~ sportswriters and pit them against a host who actively shits on them at any and all opportunities.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

algebra testes posted:

I always liked it because you get a bunch of ~HOT TAKES~ sportswriters and pit them against a host who actively shits on them at any and all opportunities.

This is the appropriate reason to watch ATH.

When Realli mutes someone who's just getting going about how Matthew Dellavadova is better than LeBron James and they get all disgusted is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/810708897153613824