Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
Scratch that. I mis-remembered.

It was a lance. As soon as I got it, I was able to have Cid upgrade it and immediately forgot what it was exactly. My bad.

Content for the new page!

This was purely accidental.

El Diablo Bob O fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm in Ch 13-- is there a better drop for a Sturdy Helixhorn than farming these two Duplicorns in this hunt? I'm already using the mother child rice bowl and still can't get the thing to drop

e: Got it very next try. There has to be a word for this phenomenon of asking about something and then getting it immediately, it seems to happen all the time

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 16, 2016

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The last thing I need for Plat is getting Noct's stupid fishing skill up to level 10. I got the best fishing gear already. What's the best place to catch fatty ones to rank up faster? I'm at level 6 and I still did a good fair share of fishing in the game. It just levels up so slowly.

FFXV is a pretty easy game for the platinum trophy. Compared to FFX remastered where I needed to completely fill in the sphere grid for every character. gently caress that person who made that trophy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lord Ephraim posted:

The last thing I need for Plat is getting Noct's stupid fishing skill up to level 10. I got the best fishing gear already. What's the best place to catch fatty ones to rank up faster? I'm at level 6 and I still did a good fair share of fishing in the game. It just levels up so slowly.

FFXV is a pretty easy game for the platinum trophy. Compared to FFX remastered where I needed to completely fill in the sphere grid for every character. gently caress that person who made that trophy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Go to The Forgotten Pools fishing spot in Duscae during the day
Fish up everything with ease.
Hit rank 10 in record time.

The size of the fish doesn't matter in terms of fishing exp.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DalaranJ posted:

How do you use the sniper rifle? Is there some way to look down the sights?

The carrot trade thing gives you more crown city (absorb) weapons, not machinery.

Yes, you actually aim the sniper rifle. Only Noctis can use it. It has a really high Break chance but you have to aim down a scope and it's not super agile. It's neat though.

I'm probably mis-remembering but I was sure I got one machinery from the carrot trade. I was after the Greatsword but my first reward was the Noisemaker I think.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Managed to escalate my customer support ticket with SE about the chapter 7 game breaking bug. All I want is for them to acknowledge it and say they're gonna patch it. I'm sure a lot of other ppl would appreciate it as well

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I've been working on Fishing for my platinum, and I have to say, I was expecting a far worse grind than this. It's going up a lot faster than I imagined, I thought it would be something that takes a stupid long time. And it's actually pretty fun! I'm enjoying fishing that I've been going for harder fish cause it's not a bad minigame rather than just grinding the easy fish out.

The stupid thing is AFKing for survival. Once fishing is 10 that'll be my last trophy to platinum.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

arisu posted:

I've been working on Fishing for my platinum, and I have to say, I was expecting a far worse grind than this. It's going up a lot faster than I imagined, I thought it would be something that takes a stupid long time. And it's actually pretty fun! I'm enjoying fishing that I've been going for harder fish cause it's not a bad minigame rather than just grinding the easy fish out.

The stupid thing is AFKing for survival. Once fishing is 10 that'll be my last trophy to platinum.

I somehow didn't have level 10 Survival by the end. I just ended up tying up my DualShock 4 to run in a circle with a infinite endurance buff and reset it when the buff ran out. Didn't take too long.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

arisu posted:

It helps that there's a lot of fish and a lot of fishing spots and all of them are picturesque as hell.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:smith:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

So I'm in Chapter 14, about to leave Hammerhead. How many hours til the end if I mainline the last story bits?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Soul Glo posted:

So I'm in Chapter 14, about to leave Hammerhead. How many hours til the end if I mainline the last story bits?

one, maybe two, depending on how many enemies you fight. Probably still one, though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Pennfalath posted:

one, maybe two, depending on how many enemies you fight. Probably still one, though.

Oooh cool. I've been playing all day already, but I guess I'll go finish this up then. Thanks.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Weird, I see this:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The size of the fish doesn't matter in terms of fishing exp.

Technically this is true since it's not based on weight but generally heavier fish do give you more "Fishing exp". Each fish has a point value and you need a certain amount of points to raise your level. Heavier/rarer fish tend to give more.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I've done two of the post game dungeons so far. Are they all room after room of the same cramped caves full of the same mostly unfun fights?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ethiser posted:

I've done two of the post game dungeons so far. Are they all room after room of the same cramped caves full of the same mostly unfun fights?

Sometimes they are ruins!

But yes

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ethiser posted:

They're so lazy and awful. The steyliff grove one just kept going and going for hours, I swear there were upwards of like 6 or 7 havens in that fucker.

I'm really debating if I want to finish the last two I have, because god drat they're boring.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 17, 2016

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

man nurse posted:

They're so lazy and awful. The steyliff grove one just kept going and going for hours, I swear there were upwards of like 6 or 7 havens in that fucker.

I'm really debating if I want to finish the last two I have, because god drat they're boring.

9. It's 100 floors

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
See, I guess I'm the sane one, I did the Pietross Ruins and then I touched nothing more of the postgame. I learned my lesson.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I did the first two menace dungeons and got Gladio's survival skill to level 10 for my platinum then stopped. They're so boring.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
DLC better have some actual fun dungeons. If I wanted to play a J-roguelike I'd play Curse of The Curry God.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

After finishing Pitioss I feel like I've beated 'enough' of the gane. Maybe one day I'll go back for some postgame hunts and knocking over the Adamantoise, but it no longer has a hold on me.

Well, what can I say? You guys...
are better than Final Fantasy 13.

And actually I think I enjoyed it more than 12, but I still somehow feel like 12 was a better game. Maybe the remaster will change my mind.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Is it me or is this "gambling" minigame really broken? Because it seems to me that it's really blatantly obvious who's gonna win almost every time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Welp, this is the first Final Fantasy game I've ever finished. These games usually stop me finishing them from either being unable to hold my attention in their bonkers, super long stories or by throwing up some loving near impossible boss that I never feel like grinding past. This game being short and honestly kinda easy meant I didn't hit either of those walls.

I really liked the world in the game, it's a shame the story was kinda half-baked. Another year and the plot could have been one of my favorite in an RPG. The ultimate big bad could have been one of the greats in the series had they trickled out their motivations and history rather than dumping it on you in five minutes at the end to the point where I've spent an hour reading up on old spoilers ITT just to understand it all. Also secondary characters were mostly just background flavor-- I really could have used more info on Ravus or Reggie's crew and why they were tooling around together years ago.

I liked the action-y gameplay, which is saying something after I completely wrote this game off after not even liking the first Duscae demo enough to finish it. The more scripted anime-esque sequences actually played like how FF cutscenes have looked for ages. Plus it was satisfying just how powerful magic was in this game. I was bummed when I first found out it was basically crafting uses, but when those uses can be megaton bombs that carve off sizable chunks of end game boss' health or wipe out entire parties of MTs, sign me the gently caress up.

Not sure if I'll bother getting into post-game stuff, I usually just beat games and move on, plus I did enough hunts and side-quest stuff that I feel like I got my money's worth, considering I dropped a decent 30 hours into the game.

I would really, really love to get an International-Director's Cut-whatever version of this game in a few years that had a more cohesive version of the story, more costumes, more permanent party members (Aranea and Co and Iris), etc. Maybe this game will be vastly different in a year or two just after all the DLC and patch work they're putting in that a special edition would be redundant.

Either way, fun game. Way better than I expected this thing to turn out.

ninja edit: Also the ending is Real Good

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I...I think Chapter 13 is my favorite part of the game. Does this make me bad and wrong? It reminds me heavily of climbing Shinra tower, and the general creepiness of it all. And the ring magic was fine?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "World of Ruin" chapter is the one that definitely feels like stuff is just missing. What with name dropping all the side characters but nobody actually showing up. Its especially egregious with Cindy seeing as you actually go to Hammerhead and are told that she is still there.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Whoever designed the rainbow frog quest should be executed, imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HD DAD posted:

I...I think Chapter 13 is my favorite part of the game. Does this make me bad and wrong? It reminds me heavily of climbing Shinra tower, and the general creepiness of it all. And the ring magic was fine?

If it had about an hour worth of boring filler hallways cut out of it, it would be awesome.

muscles like this! posted:

The "World of Ruin" chapter is the one that definitely feels like stuff is just missing. What with name dropping all the side characters but nobody actually showing up. Its especially egregious with Cindy seeing as you actually go to Hammerhead and are told that she is still there.

:agreed:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

HD DAD posted:

Shinra tower didn't take away literally every part of the game that made it fun and good and put in halfassed stealth and force you to use new mechanics that are poorly implemented.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Shinra tower didn't take away literally every part of the game that made it fun and good and put in halfassed stealth and force you to use new mechanics that are poorly implemented.

To be fair:

That said Chapter 13 was about 3x as long as it should have been which is saying something considering how rushed the end of the game is.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair:

That said Chapter 13 was about 3x as long as it should have been which is saying something considering how rushed the end of the game is.

I take your point, but also you could just rush your way in. Or climb stairs if you wanted amusing dialogue which is more than I can say for that section of FFXV.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Legs Benedict posted:

9. It's 100 floors

Please tell me the level 92 and 99 ones aren't that long, too.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Ch. 13: It's longer than it should be, but I enjoyed it. Every final fantasy game needs a resident evil section with long hallways. The ring was good and powerful and I will always be a holy dodger from now on. :shopkeeper:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

HD DAD posted:

I...I think Chapter 13 is my favorite part of the game. Does this make me bad and wrong?

Thematically, it's great, because it's supposed to be boring and torturous. Mechanically, it's not so great, because it's boring and torturous.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

man nurse posted:

Please tell me the level 92 and 99 ones aren't that long, too.

40 and 60, i think, and the lvl99 one doesn't let you use items

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Legs Benedict posted:

40 and 60, i think, and the lvl99 one doesn't let you use items

what a game

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Trying to fly the Type F is kind of lovely. Sometimes it will lock you into not being able to turn the way you want and landing is a bitch unless you have a super long straight away. Taking off isn't much better.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Soul Glo posted:

Welp, this is the first Final Fantasy game I've ever finished. These games usually stop me finishing them from either being unable to hold my attention in their bonkers, super long stories or by throwing up some loving near impossible boss that I never feel like grinding past. This game being short and honestly kinda easy meant I didn't hit either of those walls.

I really liked the world in the game, it's a shame the story was kinda half-baked. Another year and the plot could have been one of my favorite in an RPG. The ultimate big bad could have been one of the greats in the series had they trickled out their motivations and history rather than dumping it on you in five minutes at the end to the point where I've spent an hour reading up on old spoilers ITT just to understand it all. Also secondary characters were mostly just background flavor-- I really could have used more info on Ravus or Reggie's crew and why they were tooling around together years ago.

I liked the action-y gameplay, which is saying something after I completely wrote this game off after not even liking the first Duscae demo enough to finish it. The more scripted anime-esque sequences actually played like how FF cutscenes have looked for ages. Plus it was satisfying just how powerful magic was in this game. I was bummed when I first found out it was basically crafting uses, but when those uses can be megaton bombs that carve off sizable chunks of end game boss' health or wipe out entire parties of MTs, sign me the gently caress up.

Not sure if I'll bother getting into post-game stuff, I usually just beat games and move on, plus I did enough hunts and side-quest stuff that I feel like I got my money's worth, considering I dropped a decent 30 hours into the game.

I would really, really love to get an International-Director's Cut-whatever version of this game in a few years that had a more cohesive version of the story, more costumes, more permanent party members (Aranea and Co and Iris), etc. Maybe this game will be vastly different in a year or two just after all the DLC and patch work they're putting in that a special edition would be redundant.

Either way, fun game. Way better than I expected this thing to turn out.

ninja edit: Also the ending is Real Good

One of my favs and much better than I expected, since I hadn't been into what Square was making for a while. I'm curious to see what they add if they go through with adding more story scenes like they mentioned, but myself I really like the plot as is. It's minimalist and doesn't explain some things, but I still connected with it and it worked for me. Lots of games have tons and tons of dialogue and cutscenes, not always pulling them off. I can see why people would want more and find the second half rushed, but what we have I personally don't have many complaints about.

Fun game, great stuff, the post credits scene is really well done too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Like, the weirdest thing to me is (that chapter spoilers) during the cutscene where they get to the place, they were all "hey we'll all catch up in the building!" and I was expecting, like, a cutscene or just a conversation between the three of them, but there's nothing there. That never happens. I actually wandered around for a while before realizing you were just supposed to leave after buying poo poo and picking up shinies or whatever. Yeah, there's the conversations with Talbot, but.

• Locked thread