Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if you dance between the outskirts of the shield generator range can you just tank constant damage 75 hp at a time?

you'd die, the leash range is longer than the application range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So, Skyline did a video on the new Symmetra changes, and if he is correct it explains why Sym / Torb is such a tough nut to crack. Well, other than the turrets. If you have both shields and armor, the shield is mitigating damage the same way armor would. So if Sym has her shield generator down and everyone has 1 armor pack, the entire team has an additional 150 "armor" that regenerates the first 75 damage.

Nope, not overpowered at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDj0YebzwvY&t=94s

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Poque posted:

I wanna see global win% by hero.

The problem is winrate only cares about what heroes the match ended with. Symmetra had something like a 70% winrate or so not because she was actually good, but because she was only played at first defense points, and either they won or the person playing her switched because of how useless she was in all other times. Tracer/Winston probably have lower winrates than reality because of how popular they are as Hail Mary picks when you're about to lose in overtime

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i want to see usage time for each character on winning teams in comp matches with at least two top 500 players

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BabyRyoga posted:

?

It would only be more obvious if she were an ironknuckle from Adventure of Link
the base is a retexture, but then it also has a unique hat, gold+bow version of her robot, and a different iceblock. so it's not "literally a palette swap of the basic skin that is like 100 coins or whatever".
if it did not have those things, it would be, but it does, so it isn't.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
its just an epic level reskin + epic level accessories. the only thing making it legendary is the snowman block

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

the base is a retexture, but then it also has a unique hat, gold+bow version of her robot, and a different iceblock. so it's not "literally a palette swap of the basic skin that is like 100 coins or whatever".
if it did not have those things, it would be, but it does, so it isn't.
I don't think there's any other legendary skin that's a retexture of the base skin. Those are all epic level, even if they add a hat like Lucio's Christmas skin, or change some stuff like a bunch of Pharah skins.

It's pretty underwhelming, especially as Mei hasn't had any other event skins yet.

On the plus side, I have no reason not to buy her Abominable or Yeti Hunter skins after this event, as those are pretty sweet, and I was holding off in case she got an awesome Christmas skin.

Toksai
Dec 3, 2005
The new Mei skin also changes the line "You have to let it go" into "You have to let it snow".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Toksai posted:

The new Mei skin also changes the line "You have to let it go" into "You have to let it snow".

It would be nice if ice pharah said 'justice hails from above'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Reaper's ult becomes "Let it die, let it die, let it die."

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

the base is a retexture, but then it also has a unique hat, gold+bow version of her robot, and a different iceblock. so it's not

Rare (blue) - basic recolor, no alterations
Epic (purple) - fancy recolor, might feature a little extra model/texture flair but is still based on the default model
Legendary (orange) - new model altogether

Mei's skin is pretty squarely in the epic zone, but I already won it in a loot box so I'm pretty whatever about it.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Torb also says something like "merry molten core". I look forward to every game being a jumbled mess of holiday lines :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

its just an epic level reskin + epic level accessories. the only thing making it legendary is the snowman block

yea, it's not even on the same level as ana or pharah's epic skins either. kind of a bummer

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Redundant posted:

Torb also says something like "merry molten core". I look forward to every game being a jumbled mess of holiday lines :allears:

I had forgotten which voice line I had on Zenyatta and it led to this exchange on snowy Hanamura:

Reaper: Where's your holiday spirit?
Zenyatta: Trick or treat!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Supercar Gautier posted:

Mei's skin is pretty squarely in the epic zone, but I already won it in a loot box so I'm pretty whatever about it.
I'm not disagreeing that it's not a good legendary. it's just that people have been saying all over the place "it's literally just a palette swap!" when it... isn't

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

why is d'vas gaming emote a legendary?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ok now you have to be loving with me, that's straightup the best emote in the game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

why is d'vas gaming emote a legendary?

Is this like a joke question or

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

So, Skyline did a video on the new Symmetra changes, and if he is correct it explains why Sym / Torb is such a tough nut to crack. Well, other than the turrets. If you have both shields and armor, the shield is mitigating damage the same way armor would. So if Sym has her shield generator down and everyone has 1 armor pack, the entire team has an additional 150 "armor" that regenerates the first 75 damage.

Nope, not overpowered at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDj0YebzwvY&t=94s
drat so it's like having two Torbs :eyepop:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Zamujasa posted:

I liked the suggestion of just giving the shield generator a limit to the shields it can provide; say, 900 (75 * 6 * 2) over its lifetime, and once that runs out it just self-destructs. By the same token it can be refunded for the percentage of remaining shields. Alternatively, give everyone 100 shields, but damage done to one player's Symmetra shields are distributed to every other character's shields (e.g. ding a Tracer for 25 damage, everyone else's shields drop by 5).

There are some other possibly interesting ideas; like making them stick with the character (like armor), but slowly decay outside of the shield generator's radius, and not recharge automatically outside of it.

Or you could Portrait of Dorian Grey it. Damage done to provided shields is mirrored on the generator's health itself. If your team just doesn't get hit much it stays forever. If they get hammered the shield generator quickly dies from the overall abuse as each recharge to shields damages its health.

In a way it would make dealing with the generator comparable to Rein's shield where you just chip away at the entire enemy team to defeat the generator rather than hunt it down. But you'd favor AOE damage like Winston to hit everyone's shields to hammer the generator. Or the shield gen gets worn down by a DPS who keeps peeking and getting punished for it repeatedly. Or find it yourself and shoot it to bits.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Where's the best place to try and shoot someone for the long range snowball cheevo? I've shot some people from pretty far away and haven't gotten poo poo for it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
often when people are going across into the top of the cyro pod building at the start of the match you can snipe them from the other side, because they'll be looking forward instead of at the other building and walking in a straight line

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Rush to the upstairs room and blindfire while you're still going up the stairs. With luck, you'll hit someone doing the same on the opposite side.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I found it was much further than I expected. You can also wait for round 3 and make it rain from afar with your ult and hope for a pick.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Idea for undocumented patch change: defense matrix not only stops Zarya beams, it reflects them back at her

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Papercut posted:

On most KOTH maps, the point is in a very disadvantageous position and you don't want your team to stay there after you've capped.

You sound like a silver player.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ColHannibal posted:

He's not wrong? There aren't many KotH points I can think of where it's advantageous to stay huddled on the point.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

ColHannibal posted:

I dunno, standing on the point on ruins or sanctum is basically asking to be killed. Lots of others have better places to set up a defence too like village and control. You want to be able to contest the point quickly if you have to, but you don't need to be glued to it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are some maps in koth where you stand on the point (the well on ilios and the shrine on nepal come to mind), but most of them are better held elsewhere because you just let the other team in for free by standing on the point

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

there are some maps in koth where you stand on the point (the well on ilios and the shrine on nepal come to mind), but most of them are better held elsewhere because you just let the other team in for free by standing on the point

In particular Shrine is good to hold because it's high ground and you get to shoot down at the red team if they try coming in from the front. Conversely Ruins and Sanctum are loving awful to try and hold by staying on the point because they're low ground and the red team can shoot down at you.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Idea for undocumented patch change: defense matrix not only stops Zarya beams, it reflects them back at her

Please don't buff Dva more.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm going to be away from my gaming PC for a few weeks but will want to get my Overwatch fix. What are some good videos to watch? I would prefer more educational / guide-type videos and competitive analysis as opposed to random personality streamers.

I mainly play Ana, Tracer, Sombra, Zenyatta, and D.va if that affects things

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Things I expect in the next 2 months:

- Sombra/Winston buff. Possible slight buffs to Genji. Decreasing the fall-off damage of Mcree, reversing the changes they made.
- Possible Bastion changes.
- Since Terry Crews just posted pictures of himself at BlizzHQ, I think 85% change that Doomfist is the next hero. Probably more news on Doomfist released over the next couple months, with Doomfist hitting by late Feb/Early March at the latest.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm going to be away from my gaming PC for a few weeks but will want to get my Overwatch fix. What are some good videos to watch? I would prefer more educational / guide-type videos and competitive analysis as opposed to random personality streamers.

I mainly play Ana, Tracer, Sombra, Zenyatta, and D.va if that affects things

Flame has some decent videos in that realm.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Caeks posted:

Things I expect in the next 2 months:

- Sombra/Winston buff. Possible slight buffs to Genji. Decreasing the fall-off damage of Mcree, reversing the changes they made.
- Possible Bastion changes.
- Since Terry Crews just posted pictures of himself at BlizzHQ, I think 85% change that Doomfist is the next hero. Probably more news on Doomfist released over the next couple months, with Doomfist hitting by late Feb/Early March at the latest.

they aren't gonna buff a tank in this meta and they drat sure aren't gonna buff mccree of all things

ana or roadhog could get nerfed; maybe both, but more likely ana. they're the linchpins of the tank meta

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Like, is there a Day9 of Overwatch?

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

they aren't gonna buff a tank in this meta and they drat sure aren't gonna buff mccree of all things

ana or roadhog could get nerfed; maybe both, but more likely ana. they're the linchpins of the tank meta

I think Ana is going to eat the Nerf, and once she's nerfed, they'll do a slight buff on Winston having to do with his shield or HP. I don't think we'll see a Roadhog change to his damage or HP - while I agree that Roadhog is powerful, I fear any nerfs to Roadhog will bring about an even more stale D.Va + Reinhardt meta and solidify them as the only solid tank picks.

I don't think we'll see a Soldier nerf, but instead a Mcree buff. I'm not 100% sold on it either, but I have this inkling that we'll see minor Mcree changes.

I 100% stand by Sombra/Genji buffs. I think Sombra's clip size, damage or both will be increased. Maybe even some hacking tuning. Maybe a slight HP buff too. Genji, on the other hand, I think needs a slight buff - but he's far harder to balance. As in Roadhog but in the opposite direction, I'm afraid buffing Genji, even slightly, will push him over the edge.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mccree is amazing and does not need a buff

he's bad against tanks but way better than soldier against flankers. the problem is the over reliance on tanks, not that mccree is bad. putting him back to where he was the uncontested best dps hero is not what they're gonna do

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Please don't nerf Ana. It'll trickle down to comsole which will just make everyone go back to mercy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

mccree is amazing and does not need a buff

he's bad against tanks but way better than soldier against flankers. the problem is the over reliance on tanks, not that mccree is bad. putting him back to where he was the uncontested best dps hero is not what they're gonna do

Oh I'm not disagreeing - I merely think Blizzard will do slight buffs to Mcree, regardless. Possibly as a knee-jerk reaction to the tank meta.

On another note, thinking about Bastion - if I remember correctly, didn't Blizzard experiment with making Bastion be able to move, albeit very slowly, while in his turret mode?