Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This doesn't have to do with anything and I'm still going through One Piece here slowly, I'm on the third fight between Luffy and Crocodile, but I was wondering, what if there was a Devil fruit called the Swim-Swim Fruit. What then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could drown very efficiently

or it'd let you swim in the floor or some poo poo, either or

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There is in fact a Swim-swim fruit in the series and you'll know it when you see it.

Keep reading.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

There is in fact a Swim-swim fruit in the series and you'll know it when you see it.

Keep reading.

i'm watching. apologies.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one of the coolest fruit + user combos is anime only. enjoy. in like um 600 episodes. i don't actually know when it is

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Doflamingo kept dealing with Kaidou by secret and still kept his shichibukai-dom.
Besides we havent seen any WG in Big mom waters, and I bet that would also hold true in other warlord territory.

That's my point. Doflamingo had to keep his affiliation with Kaido (and numerous other New World powers) in secret in order to preserve his government backing. Germa 66 doesn't seem to intend on hiding their relationship with Big Mom.

dordreff posted:

Yes, nations do tend to lose political power once they gain access to massive military power, it's true.

Big Mom is making alliances to increase her political power and eventually overtake the other Emperors. Breaking the stalemate between them seems like the last thing the World Government wants, and I doubt they expect to be able to control Big Mom.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Vinsmokes even comment on the fact that they'd likely lose their access to the Reverie due to the alliance?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

That's my point. Doflamingo had to keep his affiliation with Kaido (and numerous other New World powers) in secret in order to preserve his government backing. Germa 66 doesn't seem to intend on hiding their relationship with Big Mom.

Doflamingo's actions weren't really a secret, they just weren't front page news. He maintained his backing because he had blackmail material, not because the government thought he was on the up and up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Big Mom is making alliances to increase her political power and eventually overtake the other Emperors. Breaking the stalemate between them seems like the last thing the World Government wants, and I doubt they expect to be able to control Big Mom.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Vinsmokes even comment on the fact that they'd likely lose their access to the Reverie due to the alliance?

They said they would probably lose access to Reverie, although they didn't explicitly say that allying with Big Mom was the reason.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

one of the coolest fruit + user combos is anime only. enjoy. in like um 600 episodes. i don't actually know when it is

What is it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Countblanc posted:

What is it

Probably the giant with the mini-mini fruit if I had to guess

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Anyone who says it isn't Alpacacino is wrong.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Break this week?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
no Jump this week

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Phone posted:

Break this week?

The whole Jump magazine isn't publishing next week, so we won't have anything to read this week. Because we read this week's Jump last week.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

happy golden week y'all

e: don't @ me

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

But One Piece is due a break week anyway, so will we have a chapter next week or will the break week carry over to when Jump returns?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Already Christmas break? Last year we got a chapter on christmas day.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

But One Piece is due a break week anyway, so will we have a chapter next week or will the break week carry over to when Jump returns?

There was no statement that it was taking a week off last chapter.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
next week will be a double issue, then no more jump until after the new year

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The phrase "double issue" is such a lovely lie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sub Harrison posted:

Already Christmas break? Last year we got a chapter on christmas day.

We always get a break the week before Christmas and then a chapter on Christmas. Because we steal from the future.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is Double Issue like a tongue in cheek thing like Marvel's No-Prize or are they serious when they came up with the practice

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tsob posted:

The phrase "double issue" is such a lovely lie.

marketing is the best

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is Double Issue like a tongue in cheek thing like Marvel's No-Prize or are they serious when they came up with the practice
Double Issues are a "thing" with magazines in general. Some of them are indeed filled with extra content, but for most it's just a euphemism like Jump. I imagine it's a term that used to be literal, but largely isn't anymore. Except that they give one issue two issue numbers to make sure they go through the proper 52 numbers in a year for a weekly magazine. Because that's important I guess?

Source: I work in a library and catalog the magazines that come in. It's a pain in the rear end to catalog double issues.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

We always get a break the week before Christmas and then a chapter on Christmas. Because we steal from the future.

I love my time-warped mangas.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've finished the Baroqueworks arc in the anime and I've decided to read the manga. not saying the anime was bad or anything but i think it would be faster to read it lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've watched a loving shitload of One Piece, and I'm here to tell you, you're making a good decision

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mabels big day posted:

I've finished the Baroqueworks arc in the anime and I've decided to read the manga. not saying the anime was bad or anything but i think it would be faster to read it lol

I've never understood the anime vs manga debate. The manga is the author's original vision, the manga is a product.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cloks posted:

I've never understood the anime vs manga debate. The manga is the author's original vision, the manga is a product.

that's a pretty deep way of putting it

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Good luck to anyone thinking about watching one piece from the beginning at this point.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Good luck to anyone thinking about watching one piece from the beginning at this point.

Honestly I'd be more than willing to go though it all again if they did a "One Piece Kai" sort of thing where they cut the fat down by about 2/3rds and reanimated certain scenes.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I haven't even thought the anime is particularly bad or anything. I just like it enough to want to read the manga because I know it's the superior medium.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I haven't even thought the anime is particularly bad or anything. I just like it enough to want to read the manga because I know it's the superior medium.

The anime is good, until you pass like the 200th episode mark and the pacing becomes absolutely glacial as they desperately stretch single chapters into full episodes.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gruckles posted:

The anime is good, until you pass like the 200th episode mark and the pacing becomes absolutely glacial as they desperately stretch single chapters into full episodes.

i mmight still watch some episodes because i like the voices and i also like the dubbed OPs and EDs that funimation has done

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mabels big day posted:

Kissmanga has a fully colored version of the manga up to about ch700 with better translations than the B&W version if you're not ready to dive in to buying all the volumes yet, can't get the link for you at the moment tho

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

mabels big day posted:

i mmight still watch some episodes because i like the voices and i also like the dubbed OPs and EDs that funimation has done

They stop doing that after the 4th opening Bon Voyage for reasons but it was nice while it was going on. Hikari E sung by Vic mongnia is the best saturday morning cartoon.

They sadly do not bring back the English We Are for the send off before the Time Skip

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

The plot of the new One Piece live show (for children <_<) is Kizaru kills everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsGch8CSJac

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cloks posted:

A good anime adaptation is easier to binge through or at least easier to process than a manga. Of course a truly good anime adaptation isn't the most common thing and even with a fantastic adaptation there are advantages to both formats due to differing limitations of their respective mediums.

mabels big day posted:

You're still in the good part of the anime. The part where people generally even like the filler arcs tossed in. You've got another 2-2.5 arcs to go before you get slapped in the face with anime pacing disorder. Then it gets good/acceptable again for a couple more arcs. Then it becomes an ordeal to test your level of masochism.

There are still those of unfathomable mental fortitude who are still anime only and waiting week to week for updates. Should we be struck with an invasion of Lovecraftian horror they shall be unfazed. Or they're already madder than a hatter.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I remember getting into One Piece by first watching whatever Funimation had dubbed and put up for free on their site; I think they were halfway into Skypiea at that point. Then I binged through whatever Kaizoku-Fansubs had finished, up to Impel Down. Then I continued on with the manga, and I've been up to date ever since. Eventually I went back and read through the manga proper, and I'm really glad I did.

I think anyone that really likes One Piece should at the very least check out the biggest story beats and plot points animated, because they did an amazing job with a lot of them.

Still pretty salty about what they did with the King Kong Gun scene, though. Totally mishandled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I got into One Piece when someone brought in a shonen jump magazine to school one day and I thought an angry pirate clown with flying hands was neat. I remember the 3 magazines I read were Nami and Zoro escaping with caged Luffy, Zoro's fight with Capaji directly after Luffy blows up the bar, and the first chapters of Ussopp's intro. Coincidently none of these chapters showed Luffy using his power in any way, so I had no clue why they were calling Luffy a rubber and gumgum man all the time. It wasn't until I bought volume 1 that I figured it out.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 17, 2016