Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one of those two (or maybe both? i dont remember) between nuclear throne and enter the gungeon is only 30 fps, which must feel like poo poo on a twin stick shooter or so i would think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

I've been hearing bad things elsewhere. You probably should look into it before buying.

ign said the xbox version has stuttering but i didn't see anything about the ps4 version being bad aside from the menus being the same bad menus as all 3 versions have.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
An impressive display from Chucklefish, considering my quad-core Atom with 2GB of RAM can run Stardew perfectly under Windows 10.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Are there any deals on PS+? I wasn't paying attention and mine just ran out.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

It's the same as the holiday sales, but with lower prices.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

Are there any deals on PS+? I wasn't paying attention and mine just ran out.
I hear Newegg has it for $40 with this 35% code EMCFGFT35

Festis
Feb 15, 2010

The Birthday Hobo

Remember Kids:
Vinegar'll get ya drunk!

homeless snail posted:

I hear Newegg has it for $40 with this 35% code EMCFGFT35

No luck for me, unfortunately.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

rabidsquid posted:

one of those two (or maybe both? i dont remember) between nuclear throne and enter the gungeon is only 30 fps, which must feel like poo poo on a twin stick shooter or so i would think

Nuclear Throne is 30fps and it holds up just fine, though Vlambeer's preference for choppy frame timing rubs some people the wrong way, and it isn't nearly as diverse as Isaac gets with its build variation if that's the part of it that really draws you in. Super duper fun game taken on its own merits though, and it's a really solid challenge.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This sale is too good and with my 15 percent discount I'm thinking of scooping up a bunch of stuff.

Is Dying Light basically just an FPS or is it more of an open world/adventure game? I'm grabbing DOOM and I don't really see the value of two FPS games in one go. I didn't much like Dead Island, for reference, I found it repetetive and easy to get lost in.

Is Grand Kingdom any good?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

dying light is not really much of an fps game, it's very open world and for a majority of the story you don't have access to guns, there are also side quests to find. it also has pretty seamless co-op! i like dying light a lot, but also i played it co-op probably 90% of the time which does change the experience somewhat

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Dying Light is similar to Dead Island but about 100 times more well done. Comparing it and Doom is kind of apples and oranges I'd say. Light has, in my opinion, a cool soundtrack that's like 70s Dawn of the Dead mixed with John Carpenter sound that I really dug. It's more of an exploratory parkour/climbing, running and jumping poo poo with zombies and light scavenging/crafting.

Doom is straight up ultraviolence murder poo poo which is bad rear end too.

Edit: Also in Dying Light you can unlock a power to do straight up WWF style drop kicks on zombies which is pretty loving rad :madmax:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I heard Nuclear Throne was good. Never played it tho

Nuclear throne kicks rear end

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yes but it requires more actual skill to play well and it also isn't nearly as good. It's still very good mind you, it's just BoI is a pretty high bar.

I think Gungeon is much better than Binding of Isaac personally
Edit: ANd I also think Nuclear Throne is better than Binding of Isaac

Binding of Isaac really did not sit well with me

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, did anyone try the PS4 version of Stardew Valley? Is it a decent port or are there any technical problems I should be aware of if I get myself a copy?

I don't think they even bothered trying to make the game friendly for consoles. The first thing you see when you boot the game is a mouse cursor. The controls are clunky and there's no QoL changes made to the interface as you have to manually mouse over stuff.

If you can get over weird poo poo like having to drag and drop items with the right thumbstick acting as a ghetto mouse or the wonky menu system, it's playable. I haven't found any glaring issues with the game itself. Not yet at least.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Enter the Gungeon was a great game to use the steam refund system for.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Enter the Gungeon was a great game to use the steam refund system for.

I would've refunded Binding of Isaac if it wasn't free on PS+

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

binding of isaac has yet to be unseated as goty for like three years now

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Super No Vacancy posted:

"Repetitive and boring" is a weird set of criteria to use for GOTY.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Weird amount of hate for good game BoI itt right now

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hated binding of isaac for the first hour or 2, the next 80 were pretty great though. Its just a marvelous game in so many ways, i can see why people might not like it but yeah glad i stuck with it.

MisterAlex posted:

"Repetitive and boring" is a weird set of criteria to use for GOTY.

Its also a really lazy and tired way to describe a game. What does it even mean calling a game repetitive? Show me a videogame that isn't repetitive on some level.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Ramagamma posted:

Its also a really lazy and tired way to describe a game. What does it even mean calling a game repetitive? Show me a videogame that isn't repetitive on some level.
Sure, it's definitely no Pac-Man, but it's also no Witcher 3. Don't misunderstand me as calling it a bad game; it's not, and I definitely enjoyed it for a time—until I got bored. But trying to call it the best game in a year (let alone three) is a bit absurd.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

MisterAlex posted:

Sure, it's definitely no Pac-Man, but it's also no Witcher 3. Don't misunderstand me as calling it a bad game; it's not, and I definitely enjoyed it for a time—until I got bored. But trying to call it the best game in a year (let alone three) is a bit absurd.

Now I kinda want a gritty reboot where Pac-Man wanders the world as a ghost eater for hire while bedding as many lonely inn keeper daughters as he can.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MisterAlex posted:

especially in a year when Rocket League came out

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Ramagamma posted:

I hated binding of isaac for the first hour or 2, the next 80 were pretty great though. Its just a marvelous game in so many ways, i can see why people might not like it but yeah glad i stuck with it.

Yeah, that's not far off for me. It took several attempts to get into it and then it took over my life for months. If I didn't know it had a strongly positive reputation, I might not have revisited it but I'm so glad I did.

Definitely the greatest distance between initial impression and eventual obsession for me.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Vakal posted:

Now I kinda want a gritty reboot where Pac-Man wanders the world as a ghost eater for hire while bedding as many lonely inn keeper daughters as he can.

The Wakker? Mixing power pellets for different effects depending on if you're facing an Inky or a Clyde. Full frontal nudity with Mrs. Pacman. I can see it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Enter the Gungeon's annoying enough that I can't play it anymore. The loot tables need to be tweaked a LOT and/or enemy health needs to be majorly adjusted. It's so hard to get good guns on the early levels that you're stuck plinking away forever on the early enemies with your drat peashooter. You can eventually skip the early levels which is completely pointless since you still won't have any good guns.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah considering how even people that defend that game often say to just use cheat engine i would recommend buying it on pc if that is an option

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gungeon is just a bad Nuclear Throne ripoff, IMO

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yup, pretty much. There have been so many great games to play this year, but I haven't played any game as consistently as isaac since it came out

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Yeah, Enter the Gungeon just seemed to be at a good price point and I have money sitting in my account that's burning a hole. PC is definitely an option for me and it goes on sale frequently enough that I don't mind waiting.

I should have just bought all of those PS1 games that were $1.99 a few weeks ago.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My wife is really enjoying Arkham Asylum and that makes me happy because I love finding her games that she enjoys (she hasn't played many, so she basically depends on me to recommend stuff to her but I don't always know what to go with since she has played so few games she doesn't have a huge frame of reference for what she enjoys or not). She likes The Sims and the Wii Mario games, but she's only ever experience PC and Wii games so she's new to the whole HD games experience.

When I asked her why she likes Arkham she said she liked the graphics and story. She has also enjoyed the PS2 Harry Potter games, especially the open-ended ones with lots of exploring and 100% completion stuff to do.

I know I'm going to get her the rest of the Batman games, but I'm wondering about other stuff. I'm thinking maybe Uncharted since that's also pretty and has a good, easy-to-follow plot. It's not terribly hard, right? She hasn't quite gotten the hang of two-stick controls yet. I was also thinking of Little Big Planet to fill in for the Mario gap. Anything else? I know this is a really open question but I also don't have many points of reference to work with.

Nothing too gory. Puzzles and exploration are good. Nothing too complicated and she's not very good with time-limits (as in she likes to just be able to take her time and figure places out rather than having to make snap judgments about things).

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Pretty much the only game my wife liked was Life Is Strange, plenty of story and exploring in that.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

shmee posted:

Pretty much the only game my wife liked was Life Is Strange, plenty of story and exploring in that.

My wife also really liked Life Is Strange. She doesn't like much she considers to have a lot of fighting - she wouldn't like Batman.

Having said that, other things she's liked, for some of the same reasons that have been mentioned,.. the new King's Quest, Brothers, and she has enjoyed Little Big Planet games in the past, so that's probably a good thought.

She's also really liking Lego Dimensions, but that's a bit more of an investment potentially.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Uncharted has Easy and Explorer modes so you can scale down the difficulty as much as you need to.

any of the Lego games would be good, too. I really enjoyed Lego Jurassic World and got 100% in that with my wife. Star Wars might be good (I haven't picked it up yet), and I think people said the Lego Batman games were good.

if she's not averse to combat, you could consider Ratchet and Clank. that has a bit of exploring/completion elements and a bunch of silly/ridiculous guns that do cool things.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 17, 2016

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Trilogy? I think they work as exploration sims too.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Firewatch on sale so I finally decided I had ten dollars enough for it; I'm not really sure what to make of this game. It got extremely good for a brief moment, but holy cow it ends on a wet fart. Maybe I didn't make the right choices? poo poo, I dunno. Everybody's miserable in the end.

Janky as poo poo too. Hard to be impressed by all the graphics with N64 Turok-levels of pop-in, and it drops frames like it's got a condition.

Not sure I'd reccomend it in the end, it doesn't really do much with its gameplay, even if I'd say it does have more...gameplay...than I actually expected.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I scale down everything to easy wife mode because combat is loving boring :corsair:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Snowy posted:

I scale down everything to easy wife mode because combat is loving boring :corsair:

this is not true in The Last of Us, but it is true of difficulties higher than "Hard" in most games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Firewatch on sale so I finally decided I had ten dollars enough for it; I'm not really sure what to make of this game. It got extremely good for a brief moment, but holy cow it ends on a wet fart. Maybe I didn't make the right choices? poo poo, I dunno. Everybody's miserable in the end.

Janky as poo poo too. Hard to be impressed by all the graphics with N64 Turok-levels of pop-in, and it drops frames like it's got a condition.

Not sure I'd reccomend it in the end, it doesn't really do much with its gameplay, even if I'd say it does have more...gameplay...than I actually expected.

There are no choices that's just how the game ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

There are no choices that's just how the game ends

That sucks, lol. What a pretentious game. Who even is it for? I spent ten bucks for somebody to ventilate their relationship baggage in a half-assed hiking sim

• Locked thread