Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This sudden demand for a universal morality derived from first principles that is applicable regardless of context is baffling because the entire legalistic case for the US government having a moral right to dispose of the land is based on which army won some battles 150 years ago which is as contextual as you can get.

E: actually I think this is just DR's schtick to shut down debate, you can look at the vaccine thread and find him demanding everyone create a complete morality from first principles with no ambiguity or edge cases before we can vaccinate kids for polio

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone knows the current status of the camp? I can't find anything right now :confused:

Recoome posted:

It's almost like the pro-authoritarian posters have this weird dialectical thinking going on.

It's against the ~law~ so the protesters are ~bad~

That would at least be consistent, but they don't give a poo poo when the corporations do something that's against the law.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

E: actually I think this is just DR's schtick to shut down debate, you can look at the vaccine thread and find him demanding everyone create a complete morality from first principles with no ambiguity or edge cases before we can vaccinate kids for polio

He does that in literally every thread I've ever seen him in, he also magically always come down on the side of the law, however obviously unfair the law is. I have to deal with poo poo like this in my job, it's annoying to see it on the internet as well.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tias posted:

Anyone knows the current status of the camp? I can't find anything right now :confused:

That would at least be consistent, but they don't give a poo poo when the corporations do something that's against the law.

Who has posted that they don't care when corporations break the law?

Speaking for myself, it is fine and good to hold corps to the law. But not fine and good to, for instance, scrap a pipeline because of a paperwork error that resulted in no harm.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

botany posted:

Christ. The point is that there's a difference between principles ("Racism is bad. Comedy should punch up, not down. No, Pepsi is not okay.") and proper philosophical first principles which have to be both broadly universally applicable and expressive enough to cover subtleties. Having principles is just another way of saying you have moral convictions. Those are going to vary with context an awful lot. ("I think stealing is wrong, but if I'm starving it might be okay to steal food. I'm also dying of thirst, so maybe Pepsi is okay this once.") The search for first principles leads you to look at an argument like "that other pipeline just leaked massively, this is relevant for the discussion about this pipeline" and discard it because there's no goddamn Euclidean deduction of a value judgment from appropriate first principles to the underlying metaphysical commonality that connects both cases, which is what DR is doing.
That's really just saying that you're going to endorse contradictory principles and then decide which one takes precedence depending on how you feel about the situation, or indulge in special pleading, exactly as blowfish described. "Stealing is wrong... unless I approve of the stealing." OK, so a hungry man is entitled to steal bread from someone who has it. Can he steal from anyone with bread, like his neighbor, or only certain valid targets? Can he break into a bakery? Can he rob someone at gunpoint to get the money to pay the baker for bread? Is everyone who feels that their needs are not being met entitled to take what they think they need by force? You insistence that every situation has to be looked at without reference to universally applicable principles is functionally no different from not having principles, because it means yours are flexible enough to endorse whatever outcome you've decided you want. I'm not egotistical enough to think that my gut reaction to a situation is going to select the most just course of action.

Take the discussion I've been having with Skeet Decorator. I would think that the following is pretty uncontroversial:

quote:

War is terrible. Therefore, waging a war must only be done in order to achieve a just end. If a just end cannot be realistically achieved, or cannot be achieved without resorting to unjust means, then it is not just to wage a war in the first place.
The only response he gave to that was, "but if we follow that principle, then we can't achieve the outcome I want." That's it. That's the basic issue of all these discussions. Everyone thinks their opinion is the most correct, their cause is the most righteous, so we have to have universal rules. EDIT: He's been trying to pretend that this is some sort of "might makes right" argument, because that sounds better, but it's not. If you want to impose right at the point of a sword, might is a precondition for that. That isn't even a moral judgment at that point, it's a straight up fact.

I reject the "that other pipeline just leaked massively, this is relevant for the discussion about this pipeline" argument because it's a stupid as gently caress argument-via-anecdote and the people making it should be ashamed of themselves, because they'd call out anyone arguing against something they were in favor of if their opponent did the same thing. "Fukushima Daiichi suffered a catastrophic failure, so I think any new nuclear power plants are unsafe." "But that was a different kind of plant, and the safety studies of this one are..." "Oh, you want an Euclidean deduction of a value judgment from appropriate first principles to the underlying metaphysical commonality that connects both cases?"

botany posted:

It's unhelpful, completely removed from normal modes of communication and a very easy way to feel superior towards people who have a strong moral conviction but lack the proper training to trace that conviction back to a consistent set of principles that can serve as an explanatory ethical base. It also seems to be connected to an over-reliance on legal arguments, presumably because at least there you have explicit principles. This is admittedly anecdotal and my personal gut feeling, but every time I listen to people like DR I get the feeling they're just looking for any explicit strong rule set and if in doubt prefer it to context-dependent moral arguments, because at least it's something that they can hang on to, regardless of the imperfections.
In case I haven't made it clear from my posting, I don't give a single gently caress about people who have a strong moral conviction about an issue, but are unable to connect it to rational, categorical principles. Boo hoo, you have strong feelings about an issue. People have strong feelings about gays getting married and women having abortions, but I don't accord their feelings any prescriptive value either. And yes, explicit rules are always better than asking ourselves how we feel in any particular moment, because humans are bad at making snap logical judgements.

VitalSigns posted:

This sudden demand for a universal morality derived from first principles that is applicable regardless of context is baffling because the entire legalistic case for the US government having a moral right to dispose of the land is based on which army won some battles 150 years ago which is as contextual as you can get.

This is really stupid, because my argument has never been that the U.S. Government is right because it's the U.S. Government and not the Sovereign Navajo Nation from some alt history where they control most of North America.

I think adhering to the principle that people have the right to bodily integrity and to reject unwanted medical interventions is pretty simple and good. You're the one who wanted to violate that when you think their reason for exercising their right isn't good enough. You tried to weasel out of that by claiming that there was a balancing test of harms vs benefits, but then you refused to be consistent about even that point by saying you wouldn't endorse every intervention that passed the balancing test you yourself created to justify what you wanted to do.
But I suppose you can bump the vaccine thread if you really want to discuss this again.

botany posted:

He does that in literally every thread I've ever seen him in, he also magically always come down on the side of the law, however obviously unfair the law is. I have to deal with poo poo like this in my job, it's annoying to see it on the internet as well.
I tend to end up arguing for the side of extant law in this country, because extant law wasn't created in a vacuum, and in many cases there are actually good reasons for it. 90% of these discussions end up circling around "the law is bad because following it allowed [bad outcome from a news story]". I end up explaining that we should follow the law anyway, because if no one did, the result would be [worse outcome], and that unless we can come up with a law that prevents [bad outcome] without allowing [worse outcome], we have to just accept that the law allows [bad outcome] as the price of preventing [worse outcome]. For some reason, people refuse to engage with that, instead resorting to either special pleading as seen here, or insistence that their inability to come up with a law that prevents [bad outcome] without allowing [worse outcome] is irrelevant to the discussion, because we have to do something.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 16, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So what's going on with the coward pipe besides a lot of words about philosophical theory that I'm not going to read?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

drilldo squirt posted:

So what's going on with the coward pipe besides a lot of words about philosophical theory that I'm not going to read?

not much. a pipe near it leaked near 200k gallons before an unrelated citizen noticed the leak and reported it to the pipeline company and now the pipe lovers are arguing about how this one will never leak ever unlike all the others

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

How large is the site at present? Are people leaving or what?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It's currently around -5 degrees F, and supposed to be on a downward slide to around -25 by Sunday. The hippies at SoulPad had some weird Black Friday thing where they were telling people that for every one of their overpriced canvas tents they purchased, they would send one to Standing Rock. I don't know if they actually made good on that, but I'm kinda hoping not, because those tents will be worthless in the cold (unless you can buy one of the $400 tent stoves to go with it, something they weren't giving away in their promotion).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dead Reckoning posted:

I reject the "that other pipeline just leaked massively, this is relevant for the discussion about this pipeline" argument because it's a stupid as gently caress argument-via-anecdote and the people making it should be ashamed of themselves, because they'd call out anyone arguing against something they were in favor of if their opponent did the same thing. "Fukushima Daiichi suffered a catastrophic failure, so I think any new nuclear power plants are unsafe." "But that was a different kind of plant, and the safety studies of this one are..." "Oh, you want an Euclidean deduction of a value judgment from appropriate first principles to the underlying metaphysical commonality that connects both cases?"

You are so far up your own rear end you have to be smelling breakfast by now.

You're seriously trying to pitch the Fukushima Daiichi failure as an example here. A failure that was the result of unprecedented disaster conditions well beyond what the plant was specified to withstand, and in a coincidental location where an unexpected worst case scenario could occur. This, as compared to every other nuclear plant ever is your idea of a reasonable comparison?

We're talking about another pipeline in close geographic proximity to the DAPL run, presumably kept repaired and monitored to industry standards, suffering a failure in normal operation that results in contamination of local land and potentially water resources. With no major regional or local disaster as a cause.

Only in your backwards philosophical world of quasi-objectivist ethical arguments are these things remotely comparable situations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Dead Reckoning has never heard of the Heinz Dilemma, apparently

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Recoome posted:

that's when you run out of ketchup for your chicken tenders right?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dead Reckoning posted:

I tend to end up arguing for the side of extant law in this country, because extant law wasn't created in a vacuum, and in many cases there are actually good reasons for it. 90% of these discussions end up circling around "the law is bad because following it allowed [bad outcome from a news story]". I end up explaining that we should follow the law anyway, because if no one did, the result would be [worse outcome], and that unless we can come up with a law that prevents [bad outcome] without allowing [worse outcome], we have to just accept that the law allows [bad outcome] as the price of preventing [worse outcome]. For some reason, people refuse to engage with that, instead resorting to either special pleading as seen here, or insistence that their inability to come up with a law that prevents [bad outcome] without allowing [worse outcome] is irrelevant to the discussion, because we have to do something.

Just out of curiosity, are there any laws you vehemently disagree with? Are there any laws or regulations you're looking forward to Trump repealing? I'm trying to understand if this is a dogmatic approach for you, to always (or nearly always) side with the law, and if not, what your criteria is for deciding a law is unjust. I went back a number of pages and found this:

Dead Reckoning posted:

The argument is not that the law is just because it is the law, it is that the law must be consistent to be just, and that obedience to a just law is necessary even in cases where it produces unjust outcomes, in order to avoid the greater injustice the law prevents. For example, if a criminal gets off because they prosecution was unable to introduce unequivocal evidence of his guilt due to the evidence being improperly obtained, we accept that unjust outcome to avoid sanctioning the greater injustice of tainted evidence being used in trials.

Law is by definition not consistent - if it were, it would never change, and we'd still be living under Hammurabi's code. The law must evolve with the times. Trump, our president elect, has promised to appeal a number of laws that were enacted under Obama. Does that mean that enforcement of all of those laws was unjust for the very short duration they were upheld by the courts? Alternatively, do you define consistency as application - that a law must be applied equally to all parties, at all times, with remedies/damages to be codified and adhered to strictly? Do we censure judges when they refuse or fail to do so, and prosecute juries for jury nullification? Do we remove police discretion completely, and give them absolute requirements for how to treat all crimes?

I'm legitimately curious how you manage to have an opinion on anything, whether your belief is that consistency is in application or evolution of the law. Because a dogmatic approach, while admirable in theory (at least for application), is deficient given the nature of an adversarial for-profit legal system, where outcomes can and are reached though both sheer financial resources as well as political or social power. If you need examples, I'll be happy to find and post a few.

I'm asking this in a vacuum from the current debate - I don't think we'll ever agree on that one (nor will most of the thread).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

botany posted:

It was the same in the cops thread as well with unarmed people getting shot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Condiv posted:

not much. a pipe near it leaked near 200k gallons before an unrelated citizen noticed the leak and reported it to the pipeline company and now the pipe lovers are arguing about how this one will never leak ever unlike all the others

So the black snake has come to pass and yet the company still says "NO, IT WON'T BE LIKE THIS AGAIN. YOU HAVE TO LET US BUILD SPECIFICALLY HERE! C'MONnnnnnn!"?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Crabtree posted:

So the black snake has come to pass and yet the company still says "NO, IT WON'T BE LIKE THIS AGAIN. YOU HAVE TO LET US BUILD SPECIFICALLY HERE! C'MONnnnnnn!"?

A very pathetic black snake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"Don't worry, it won't spill again, we promise"

Later:

"ITS NOT DIFFERENT AT ALL. But we promise it won't spill a third time"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CommieGIR posted:

"Don't worry, it won't spill again, we promise"

Later:

"ITS NOT DIFFERENT AT ALL. But we promise it won't spill a third time"

Because this thread is such a mess at this point I have no idea what the arguments are even about at this point. Is someone actually saying the new pipe is 100% incapable of leaking?

From forever ago when an actual person in the field weighed in, it seemed the pipeline is modern and has modern monitoring stuff, but there is always a risk.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Because this thread is such a mess at this point I have no idea what the arguments are even about at this point. Is someone actually saying the new pipe is 100% incapable of leaking?

From forever ago when an actual person in the field weighed in, it seemed the pipeline is modern and has modern monitoring stuff, but there is always a risk.

it's a complete mess of people who want to see the natives get to gently caress amerikkka for once, people who really loving hate oil pipelines on principle, people who really loving hate oil pipelines on principle but claim they are mainly there to cheer for the natives getting to gently caress amerikkka for once, and people who don't know what in particular they're upset about but figure that pretending to care about natives and/or oil pipelines fits the zeitgeist.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

blowfish posted:

it's a complete mess of people who want to see the natives get to gently caress amerikkka for once, people who really loving hate oil pipelines on principle, people who really loving hate oil pipelines on principle but claim they are mainly there to cheer for the natives getting to gently caress amerikkka for once, and people who don't know what in particular they're upset about but figure that pretending to care about natives and/or oil pipelines fits the zeitgeist.

Just because people don't agree with you, doesn't mean they don't know what they're upset about. If you're going to meta-post dumb like this, can't you just go outside for a walk or something instead of threadshitting?

gently caress, I thought there was a camp update.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
im in the first group for the person who's making the spreadsheet

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tias posted:

Just because people don't agree with you, doesn't mean they don't know what they're upset about. If you're going to meta-post dumb like this, can't you just go outside for a walk or something instead of threadshitting?

I'm sorry your thread sucks and is incomprehensible to to read

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This is true. The problem is that, given the size of the pipe and the volume that will be flowing through it, even if the monitoring systems catch it quickly there is the potential for a rather large spill.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is true. The problem is that, given the size of the pipe and the volume that will be flowing through it, even if the monitoring systems catch it quickly there is the potential for a rather large spill.

This is pretty much the TL;DR of pipes vs rail vs trucks.

They spill less often in theory, but they spill more when they do.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

CommieGIR posted:

This is pretty much the TL;DR of pipes vs rail vs trucks.

They spill less often in theory, but they spill more when they do.

Also the oil company isn't going to spend their own money to build a pipeline in order to run less oil by train or truck

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Faith spotted eagle now has an electoral vote!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

And there is it, the absolute peak of high-profile, wholly ineffective #NoDAPL action.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

And there is it, the absolute peak of high-profile, wholly ineffective #NoDAPL action.

Yeah ok, not even trying to get Shilldawg in in the hope of enough faithless Repub electors trying to save the country from four years of suck, why don't these goofballs just vote Trump themselves.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Tias posted:

This is the most recent news I've read on that front

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

We're talking about another pipeline in close geographic proximity to the DAPL run, presumably kept repaired and monitored to industry standards, suffering a failure in normal operation that results in contamination of local land and potentially water resources. With no major regional or local disaster as a cause.
And here are the assumptions doing aaallllll the lifting in your argument. If you're going to claim that the leaky pipeline was built and maintained and operated in the same way as the DAPL, that's on you to show if you want to claim they are comparable.

Recoome posted:

My two favorite things about the Heinz Dilemma are people who think it is actually a useful examination of the ethics of seizure instead of an ethical ink blot test, and people who smugly declare that adherence to their moral code is Stage 6 Universal Human Ethics, but everyone else's adherence to their moral code is Stage 4 Law-and-order Authoritarianism. Because obviously their ethics are the universal and correct ones, and everyone else is parroting what an authority figure told them.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just out of curiosity, are there any laws you vehemently disagree with? Are there any laws or regulations you're looking forward to Trump repealing? I'm trying to understand if this is a dogmatic approach for you, to always (or nearly always) side with the law, and if not, what your criteria is for deciding a law is unjust. I went back a number of pages and found this:

Law is by definition not consistent - if it were, it would never change, and we'd still be living under Hammurabi's code. The law must evolve with the times. Trump, our president elect, has promised to appeal a number of laws that were enacted under Obama. Does that mean that enforcement of all of those laws was unjust for the very short duration they were upheld by the courts?

Alternatively, do you define consistency as application - that a law must be applied equally to all parties, at all times, with remedies/damages to be codified and adhered to strictly? Do we censure judges when they refuse or fail to do so, and prosecute juries for jury nullification? Do we remove police discretion completely, and give them absolute requirements for how to treat all crimes?
The latter, but not necessarily to the same conclusion that you draw. I don't mean that laws have to be immutable or even identical across jurisdictions, just that they have to be based on consistent principles and consistently applied. For example, some countries have different justice systems than the United States, and while I might disagree with some aspects of how they do things, I don't necessarily think that a conviction in, say, Switzerland is inherently unjust because it doesn't conform to American standards of criminal procedure. And for the record, there are plenty of laws I disagree with, but that I follow anyway.

I don't like jury nullification and police discretion, as they are ripe for abuse, but they are both examples of bad things we tolerate as necessary consequences of more important safeguards. Jury nullification is possible because we do not and should not force jurors to explain their legal rationale for their decisions, and I am not convinced that eliminating jury trials would lead to more just outcomes. Police discretion is necessary for the simple the fact that there aren't enough police resources to deal with every problem that comes up. If an officer has just pulled someone over to write a speeding ticket when she gets a radio call telling her that she is the closest unit to a shots fired/officer in danger call, she needs to have the option to let the motorist go and bypass all the people she might see littering or spraying graffiti while responding. I'm going to punt on mandatory minimums because I think they are a more complex question.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm legitimately curious how you manage to have an opinion on anything, whether your belief is that consistency is in application or evolution of the law. Because a dogmatic approach, while admirable in theory (at least for application), is deficient given the nature of an adversarial for-profit legal system, where outcomes can and are reached though both sheer financial resources as well as political or social power. If you need examples, I'll be happy to find and post a few.
I think having a legal system that we, as citizens with different world views and ideas of morality and justice, all consent to be bound by demands a dogmatic approach. The whole thing falls apart if people only follow the law when they like the outcome. I'll circle back to the example of the criminal that "everyone knows" is guilty, but who goes free because their lawyer was able to exclude damning evidence, or a defendant who does something that is widely condemned but who is not found to have violated the law. We can't have the plaintiffs or random Joe citizen enforcing what they think is appropriate punishment. Similarly, I know people who oppose mandatory minimum sentencing for being unfair who flipped their lids and called for its imposition after a judge gave Brock Turner six months for sexual assault.

The fact that greater financial resources can buy you (arguably) better legal representation is simply not a solvable problem in a justice system that allows people to choose their own legal counsel. There is no way to rationally predetermine legal expenditures, much less equalize resources between litigants.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Recoome posted:

I've actually never heard of the Heinz Dilemma, and it seems very dumb. The ordering of the stages itself at least looks like a normative judgment which seems like a mistake when examining moral systems. Also self interest and universal human ethics (as though such a thing could exist) are identical. The reasons human lives have fundamental value is because other humans want people to stick around. (or if you've taken the fundamental value of human life as an axiom, it's identical to human rights)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

The fact that greater financial resources can buy you (arguably) better legal representation is simply not a solvable problem in a justice system that allows people to choose their own legal counsel. There is no way to rationally predetermine legal expenditures, much less equalize resources between litigants.

Seriously, how many times are you going to repeat this?

"Well, the Justice system has issues, but there isn't a god damned thing we can do about it. Guess we just have to accept it as is"

Its frankly a very pathetic argument for a biased justice system, and not a very good argument against unfair over-representation of wealthy clients. You are literally arguing that wealthy should be an automatic buffer against facing consequences, and you think that's OKAY?! You've basically said "If you are wealthy, you are above justice." Cool. So that whole speech about how we must accept the conviction of some innocents in order to largely keep a functioning justice system, you've basically advocated for a justice system that heavily favors the wealthy and wrings out the poor and lower/middle class whenever it suits the wealthy.

At this point, anarchy seems more just than your idea of justice.

twodot posted:

I've actually never heard of the Heinz Dilemma, and it seems very dumb. The ordering of the stages itself at least looks like a normative judgment which seems like a mistake when examining moral systems. Also self interest and universal human ethics (as though such a thing could exist) are identical. The reasons human lives have fundamental value is because other humans want people to stick around. (or if you've taken the fundamental value of human life as an axiom, it's identical to human rights)

Twodot Agrees with Dead Reckoning, shocking.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 22, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I think the Heinz Dilemma is fine as a thought experiment for demonstrating the author's thesis, but people tend to read too much into it, and moral reasoning does not easily fall into a six tiered hierarchy.

CommieGIR posted:

"Well, the Justice system has issues, but there isn't a god damned thing we can do about it. Guess we just have to accept it as is"

Its frankly a very pathetic argument for a biased justice system, and not a very good argument against unfair over-representation of wealthy clients. You are literally arguing that wealthy should be an automatic buffer against facing consequences, and you think that's OKAY?! You've basically said "If you are wealthy, you are above justice." Cool. So that whole speech about how we must accept the conviction of some innocents in order to largely keep a functioning justice system, you've basically advocated for a justice system that heavily favors the wealthy and wrings out the poor and lower/middle class whenever it suits the wealthy.
I'd argue that money lets you buy better legal representation, but I'd disagree that it is "an automatic buffer against facing (legal) consequences."

That said, since you're so mad about my stated opinion, how exactly do you think we can resolve the problem of wealthy people and companies being able to afford to pay lawyers who can command higher fees due to their experience or winning record, in a society where 1) you have the right to choose your own legal counsel, and 2) people are compensated at different rates for their labor? I've actually thought a lot about this, and I haven't been able to come up with a good solution.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 22, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Dead Reckoning posted:

2) people are compensated at different rates for their labor?

"Sounds like class warfare to me, bougie scum."

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Nationalize the legal system, man

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

My two favorite things about the Heinz Dilemma are people who think it is actually a useful examination of the ethics of seizure instead of an ethical ink blot test, and people who smugly declare that adherence to their moral code is Stage 6 Universal Human Ethics, but everyone else's adherence to their moral code is Stage 4 Law-and-order Authoritarianism. Because obviously their ethics are the universal and correct ones, and everyone else is parroting what an authority figure told them.
The latter, but not necessarily to the same conclusion that you draw. I don't mean that laws have to be immutable or even identical across jurisdictions, just that they have to be based on consistent principles and consistently applied. For example, some countries have different justice systems than the United States, and while I might disagree with some aspects of how they do things, I don't necessarily think that a conviction in, say, Switzerland is inherently unjust because it doesn't conform to American standards of criminal procedure. And for the record, there are plenty of laws I disagree with, but that I follow anyway.

And you've missed the underlying reason why I raised the Heinz Dilemma, which is that people will arrive at different conclusions based on how they reason. Neo-Kohlbergianism organises the "stages" more like schemas these days, but I think that generally, in a western society, it's an easy way to conceptualise how people reason in ambigious and conflicting situations.

I highlighted parts of your thing which I find pretty pretty ironic, given your argument (where you basically miss the point completely).

twodot posted:

lol

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think the Heinz Dilemma is fine as a thought experiment for demonstrating the author's thesis, but people tend to read too much into it, and moral reasoning does not easily fall into a six tiered hierarchy.

That's why it was reorganised into a schema-based conceptualisation (there are problems with hierarchical-based models). Also, please elaborate how people are "reading too much into it".

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Recoome posted:

And you've missed the underlying reason why I raised the Heinz Dilemma, which is that people will arrive at different conclusions based on how they reason...
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here, since 90% of your contributions to this thread have been ankle biting, you don't seem to be taking any sort of affirmative position other than "people reason things differently", which, yep.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here, since 90% of your contributions to this thread have been ankle biting, you don't seem to be taking any sort of affirmative position other than "people reason things differently", which, yep.

The position here is that you are extremely pro-authoritarian and had no problems with the police curbstomping the DAPL protesters. You deride others for having (paraphased) "correct" ethics, while your position is wholly derivied from an authority figure (this is actually true, lmao).

You aren't going to "get" why the people are protesting, or why people protest in general. To you, they are just people breaking a law and being gassed/shot/whatever is just them getting their just desserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I've explained a few times now that I understand the protesters' rationale, but that I find it insufficient justification for obstructing lawful construction that has made a good faith effort to comply with applicable standards and practices. It also seems to never occur to you that a person might agree with honoring existing rules for reasons other than that they are the rules. You keep on keeping on though.

Or maybe you could make and affirmative argument for why the protesters should be permitted to obstruct people acting lawfully.

• Locked thread