Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Does the respective hostility really matter in practice? Sure, life can survive down in the depths, but humans still need pressurized and totally sealed transport to avoid instant death down there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

chitoryu12 posted:

Everyone uses tear gas, but American police are unique in the amount of violence and the number of deaths they cause. While they're theoretically supposed to use minimal force, in practice a lot of unarmed civilians get killed in ways that a military would poo poo their pants over.

Americans keep saying that but then again https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_massacre_of_1961

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
unfortunately i don't remember who posted the american involvement in the soviet union's industrialization, could someone link them

tia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

unfortunately i don't remember who posted the american involvement in the soviet union's industrialization, could someone link them

tia

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167&userid=185704&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post465878134

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 17, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Koramei posted:

I think I remember that video being a training exercise, yeah. I don't think it's often nearly as professional (South Korean riot police are often draftees, i.e. inexperienced rowdy young men, since you can serve there instead of in the military) but they do similar things during actual protests. There are tons of videos of them from the 90s floating around, Korean protests used to be intense as hell.

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, my dad witnessed a few in the 60s and he said both sides were equally super disciplined and super aggressive.

Could you tell us a bit about those protests, for those of us who know nothing? I'll trade you for my experiences during the 2003-6 Copenhagen riots if there's any interest.

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 17, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've been reading a book about the history of taekwondo (A Killing Art by Alex Gillis) lately, and holy poo poo South Korea used to be miserable.

According to Gillis (who is a journalist, not a historian) in the seventies the gov used to hire martial artists to drive motorcycles into protesting crowds and beat people up with sticks.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 17, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I found a link to the Wikipedia article on "Secret History", a TV series of documentaries that "shed new light on some of the most intriguing stories from the past".

Found out the origin of Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 and the Paris Massacre of 1961

:smith:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

U2's song about Bloody Sunday is the reason I have an unhealthy interest in The Troubles.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Nice to see that bit in Alan Partridge is still relevant then.

Also, a full Dunkirk trailer has dropped. It looks grim, dreary and hopeless for the majority of the film and mirrors my current mood. It is going to be entertaining then.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, a full Dunkirk trailer has dropped. It looks grim, dreary and hopeless for the majority of the film and mirrors my current mood. It is going to be entertaining then.

Speaking of, any goons seen Hacksaw Ridge yet?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Decided to splurge on star wars instead :( Looking forward to seeing it some time, though.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I did, it was pretty good. It wasn't 100% true to life (most notably they rewrote Doss to be a lot more eager to go off to war, volunteering instead of being drafted like he was IRL), but a good way to spend a few hours if you can take the gore. The battle scenes were a bit weird, it was like they went out of their way to show off every common infantry weapon from mortars down to M1911's even if it didn't make too much sense, but again - it was a good movie.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SeanBeansShako posted:

No French? Pssht.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Panzeh posted:

No French? Pssht.

I hope he covers that delaying action pulled by basically what was left of the French Army.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had no idea that Dunkirk movie was being made but I saw the preview at Star Wars and I was seriously surprised at both the bleak tone and the apparent attention to detail

Also while I'm at it Star Wars movie had some of the more realistic depictions of modern combat that I've seen in film. Feel free to mock me for this perspective

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Why the gently caress does every plane in every movie losing altitude for any reason sound like a Stuka's dive siren? It's the loving wilhelm scream of planes.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

bewbies posted:

I had no idea that Dunkirk movie was being made but I saw the preview at Star Wars and I was seriously surprised at both the bleak tone and the apparent attention to detail

Also while I'm at it Star Wars movie had some of the more realistic depictions of modern combat that I've seen in film. Feel free to mock me for this perspective

I definitely got an Iraq vibe from that ambush in the holy city. I felt bad for the Stormtroopers (I did not feel bad for the stormtroopers)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Why the gently caress does every plane in every movie losing altitude for any reason sound like a Stuka's dive siren? It's the loving wilhelm scream of planes.

Well to be fair this time it really is a Stuka

E: Nevermind I was thinking of the teaser from a little while ago. You're right, that Stuka scream is coming from an Me-109.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 17, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

The same reason why Bald Eagles "sound" like this. Because otherwise it "doesn't sound right."

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Panzeh posted:

No French? Pssht.

Alright, Dunkerque then.
My grandfather and his brother went through that. Said they learnt to swim there.
My grandfather named my mum valerie, not sure if it was because he was supposed to be in st valery before evacuation or whatever? He just liked the name.
After Dunkirk he got chucked into fighting the Japanese, talk about from one horrible situation into another.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 17, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fo3 posted:

After Dunkirk he got chucked into fighting the Japanese, talk about from one horrible situation into another.

Where did he have to fight them? Depending on where he went this could've been anywhere from Very Bad to Holy poo poo Awful.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Phanatic posted:

People got accustomed to it from actual stukas in wartime newsreels and wrote Very Concerned letters to every movie that "did it wrong" afterwards?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

My grandmother started getting altzheimer a while ago and she keeps having nightmares about Stukas and their sirens lately. As a psychological weapon they were quite effective werent they?

Are there any other similar examples of using sound as a psychological weapon? I've read some time ago about small tubes welded to the fins of bombs to generate a similar sound to the Stuka siren but I can't remember the details...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

The same reason why Bald Eagles "sound" like this. Because otherwise it "doesn't sound right."

Or monkeys sounding like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXA0-YAoo9Q

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Molentik posted:

My grandmother started getting altzheimer a while ago and she keeps having nightmares about Stukas and their sirens lately. As a psychological weapon they were quite effective werent they?

Are there any other similar examples of using sound as a psychological weapon? I've read some time ago about small tubes welded to the fins of bombs to generate a similar sound to the Stuka siren but I can't remember the details...

I believe the Mongols had some special whistling arrows.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

spectralent posted:

You say "used to" but the bee man thing was only a few years ago and like half the country's on the streets because of Korean Rasputin.

Well yeah protests there still get intense (for the protests against the president a few weeks ago, figures were ranging up to like 2 million on the streets) but they're generally non-violent these days, whereas a couple of decades ago that really wasn't the case.

Tias posted:

Could you tell us a bit about those protests, for those of us who know nothing? I'll trade you for my experiences during the 2003-6 Copenhagen riots if there's any interest.

I'm really not qualified to give an in depth account of it, I only know about it tangentially since it's kind of an essential component of modern Korean history, but essentially: up until the late 80s, South Korea was a military dictatorship, with basically the worst of what that entails- dissidents would be rounded up or abducted, interned, tortured, killed. These days Korean police try to deflate situations and minimize injuries, but back during the dictatorship it got extremely adversarial. So to combat that, protest groups and unions would organize and often train specifically for how to fight police, using bamboo pikes and fire and so on (guns are very rare there). Even into the 90s there are a bunch of videos with protesters continually chucking firebombs and using handmade flamethrowers.

Not to say it was like a constant war between protesters and police- the eventual demonstrations that would topple the dictatorship in 1987 were largely peaceful (although they were sparked by a protester having been killed, so clearly not always). But then there was also the Gwangju Uprising, when an entire city rose up and armed its self, resulting in hundreds of deaths after the army got called in.

It's not like that anymore but most Koreans alive today remember it, and union groups and so on organize in the same ways. Police there have massively curtailed power compared to what they used to though, and obviously there's no longer a dictatorship going to all kinds of lengths to silence its political enemies. Most of the recent protests I've heard about have been peaceful, although I haven't really looked hard- there is still stuff like this which looks scary as hell but it's still nothing compared to the protests a couple of decades ago.

It's also worth pointing out, there's a huge diversity of opinions there but for left wing Koreans especially, they often have a lot of pride in their tradition of protest. To them, protests gave them democracy, and were instrumental in their liberation from the Japanese. OTOH I've had a right wing Korean act totally dismayed when I asked her about the textbook protests a year back, thinking it's a national humiliation that foreigners knew about it. I had the opposite opinion but hey.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dumb question again, but do psychological weapons do anything? The siren is distinctive enough a sound that it will get imprinted and feature in your nightmares, but the whole effect relies on you being very aware of the actual bombs and the charred bits of people going flying etc. Can the siren make you scareder than that?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

aphid_licker posted:

Dumb question again, but do psychological weapons do anything? The siren is distinctive enough a sound that it will get imprinted and feature in your nightmares, but the whole effect relies on you being very aware of the actual bombs and the charred bits of people going flying etc. Can the siren make you scareder than that?
I don't really understand the question. Isn't "being imprinted in your nightmares" the answer?

I found this thing that claims most WW2 bombs whistled. The first-hand accounts there sure make it sound like it worked.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think the real question is "does the sound make it scarier than just natural sounds accompanying bombings".

Like, rockets scream, bombs whistle, shells go boom, and presumably see enough people in giblets after hearing something and you start getting scared from the sound too.

I know my Grandma hates the sound of doodlebugs, and that's just the sound a pulsejet makes, it wasn't intentional. It's still the sound she associates with poo poo exploding.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Classical example is the shield wall beating the their shields with the hilts of their weapons.

Another one is either drum and drumstick tattoos, chanting during the march or discipline enhanced silences that can be used to gently caress with the enemy.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Cant believe I didnt think of bagpipes. Those things sound creepy in a normal setting, let alone on a battlefield.

Another one I just thought of is the Stalin Organ. I've read multiple accounts German east front veterans recalling that the shriek those things make hosed them up royally, even when they weren't the guys on the receiving end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

A bomb going off is scary, but if you hear it, it didn't hit you.

A dive bomber making a screaming noise means that a bomb is about to fall and you don't know if it's going to be on top of you or not.

You duck before the bomb hits, and you stay ducked until the siren stops.

Adding a tell to the thing that kills you with a much wider range than the thing itself lets you spread that wonderful existential terror to a lot more people.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 17, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In theory anyway. I doubt that the effectiveness of Jericho Trumpets or such have ever been proven, nor do I know how it could be proven/disproven??? People can panic over lots of things and many times it's things that they haven't witnessed themselves. Like tanks running out of shells and going back to restock can cause supporting infantry to rout because they figure the tankers are routing.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Not part of a weapon but the ticking clock broadcast during Stalingrad had to be eerie.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

Not part of a weapon but the ticking clock broadcast during Stalingrad had to be eerie.

Wasn't that Leningrad?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nenonen posted:

In theory anyway. I doubt that the effectiveness of Jericho Trumpets or such have ever been proven, nor do I know how it could be proven/disproven??? People can panic over lots of things and many times it's things that they haven't witnessed themselves. Like tanks running out of shells and going back to restock can cause supporting infantry to rout because they figure the tankers are routing.

Or the death/routing/supposed death/routing of a key leader.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Where did he have to fight them? Depending on where he went this could've been anywhere from Very Bad to Holy poo poo Awful.

I don't know. He would never talk about that part of the war.
He would tell tales all the time to us grand kids about Europe during the war. Even though Dunkirk wouldn't have been a good time he didn't have a problem talking about things that may have happened in the early years.
But the war in Asia, he never uttered a word. He just mentioned being transferred to explain why he ended up seeing Australia during the war and that was it.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Okay, this is half milhist question and half minor ethical dilemma--I recently picked up a neato little shoulder kit bag for daily use from my local milsurp place. I'm not into milsurp generally, and especially not as a fashion accessory (I don't even own a trenchcoat and haven't worn cargo shorts since middle school; the average number of knives I have on me at any given moment remains stubbornly < 1); but this bag is reasonably waterproof, extraordinarily lightweight, literal ideal size for what I need to carry. While fairly obviously military in origin, it's not ostentatiously so--cheap but durable metal fittings, leatherish tongues to secure the flap, bedroll straps, in nondescript olive canvas with no markings.

... Except on the inside, where it's trade-stamped Serbia, 1992. :doh:

Like it's no sturmengehwehr dagger or anything but still, I'm the sort to assiduously avoid Hugo Boss, so I'm feeling a little conflicted :/

Am I good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Okay, this is half milhist question and half minor ethical dilemma--I recently picked up a neato little shoulder kit bag for daily use from my local milsurp place. I'm not into milsurp generally, and especially not as a fashion accessory (I don't even own a trenchcoat and haven't worn cargo shorts since middle school; the average number of knives I have on me at any given moment remains stubbornly < 1); but this bag is reasonably waterproof, extraordinarily lightweight, literal ideal size for what I need to carry. While fairly obviously military in origin, it's not ostentatiously so--cheap but durable metal fittings, leatherish tongues to secure the flap, bedroll straps, in nondescript olive canvas with no markings.

... Except on the inside, where it's trade-stamped Serbia, 1992. :doh:

Like it's no sturmengehwehr dagger or anything but still, I'm the sort to assiduously avoid Hugo Boss, so I'm feeling a little conflicted :/

Am I good?

I feel like ostensibly the point of having Milsurp is that it's generally more durable and has more utility for its price than regular "planned obsolescence" civilian stuff. People walk around with Soviet gear because it's comfy why not Serbian?

I feel like there are only connotations if it was Wehrmacht gear. Soviet gear has at least the "AK-47" reputation of "durable enough for Siberia, durable enough for the US" without it being a political statement. Most people don't even know Serbia exists, so I think you're good.