Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Wait wait back up, Eggplant are excellent and I have always known them as a critical ingredient. Eggplant Parmesan, Stuffed Eggplant, Ratatouille... More recently I've been making Baba Ganouch.

It helps to grow up in close proximity to Italians I guess. Eggplant is delicious. I now grow my own, these adorable little Japanese Eggplant that keep a lot longer and have a very nice nutty flavor. The huge ones from the store get mooshy so quick x.x
In addition to tasting good, Japanese eggplant varieties own because they're productive as gently caress. They work pretty well in the kind of applications you list, as well as things like stirfry and curry. Although for that I tend to prefer little Lao green eggplants or something like that---fish-fragrant eggplant (doubanjiang, black vinegar, ginger) with a nice firm eggplant is one of those things you give to someone for that I-didn't-know-I-liked-eggplant experience.

There are actually a whole shitload of eggplant cultivars that only vaguely resemble the ones found in most grocery stores (link to an heirloom seed store, just because it shows off a bunch of different varieties). In my experience they're kinda like peppers in that they're a pain in the rear end to get from seed to seedling, but once they get established they consistently produce well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Squashy Nipples posted:

Are giant, drippy icicles supposed to coming out of the exhaust inside the walk-in freezer?

no, you have a condensation problem

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SubG posted:

There are actually a whole shitload of eggplant cultivars that only vaguely resemble the ones found in most grocery stores (link to an heirloom seed store, just because it shows off a bunch of different varieties). In my experience they're kinda like peppers in that they're a pain in the rear end to get from seed to seedling, but once they get established they consistently produce well.

Thanks for that link, I had no idea there were so many different kinds of eggplant! Also, a good dog:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

JawKnee posted:

no, you have a condensation problem

Thanks. How does that happen, and how do you fix it? It's a brand new freezer, maybe 2 months of service.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Thanks. How does that happen, and how do you fix it? It's a brand new freezer, maybe 2 months of service.

hell if I know, could be an air circulation problem, or maybe your freezer isn't cycling properly, or maybe something else! Call a technician.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
anyone have a good kibbeh recipe?

better yet, do we have a general Middle East thread?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SubG posted:

There are actually a whole shitload of eggplant cultivars that only vaguely resemble the ones found in most grocery stores (link to an heirloom seed store, just because it shows off a bunch of different varieties).

I need all of these. For SCIENCE.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Squashy Nipples posted:

Did you have the door propped open for loading stuff in or out? That can cause it. Otherwise, service call.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

anyone have a good kibbeh recipe?

better yet, do we have a general Middle East thread?

I don't know if we have a specific ME thread, but all of her stuff looks amazing:
http://www.maureenabood.com/?s=kibbeh

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
It's potato week in the Bagheera household. I'm cooking a potato-based main dish every night of the week. Tomorrow night, it's potato pizza time! I'm improvising here. What do you think of these toppings?

Pizza dough recipe form the New York Times

-Russet potatoes 1/4-inch thick slices, spread in one layer over the dough.
-Diced garlic
-Shredded Gruyere cheese over the whole pizza.
-Dots of goat cheese here and there.

This sounds pretty tasty to me. Does that combination sound good to you? I thought of adding carmelized onions and/or bacon. Your thoughts?

Also, should I cook the potatoes beforehand? Some recipes call for soaking the potato slices in water for hours. Most just put raw potato on the pizza. I think I should parboil them. What do you think?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I've always parcooked potato for pizza, so yeah I'd do that. Maybe some fresh herb, thyme or whatever. Caramelized onion sounds good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

look up potato forcaccia. I really like tartine bread's but I don't know if it's online.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
When I do potato pizza, I slice them very thinly, soak in water, and put them on raw. They get amazingly crispy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

look up potato forcaccia. I really like tartine bread's but I don't know if it's online.

Here you are:
One recipe Basic Country Bread dough - you can find this all over online
3 pounds waxy potatoes such as Yukon gold
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
Leaves from 1 bunch fresh thyme
3 ounces pecorino cheese

If using fresh dough, shape it as directed in step 6 on page
56. Let rest on the work surface for 30 minutes. If using
dough from the refrigerator, let it sit at room temperature for
30 minutes to warm up.
Using a mandoline, cut the potatoes into thin, translucent
slices. Place in a colander and toss with the salt. Let stand for
20 minutes to release the liquid. Press or squeeze out the
remaining liquid from the potatoes until they stop dripping. In a
large bowl, toss together the potato slices, pepper to taste, olive
oil, and half of the thyme leaves.
Preheat the oven to 500°F. Brush a rimmed baking sheet
with olive oil. Transfer the dough to the pan and stretch it to
the edges. Don’t force the dough if it tightens before you can
spread it. Let it rest for a few minutes and continue stretching,
taking care not to press all the gas out of the dough.
Distribute the potatoes over the surface of the dough. Bake
for 15 minutes, then check the focaccia and rotate the pan to
bake evenly. Continue baking until the focaccia is golden brown
and the potatoes are crisp, about 20 minutes. Remove the
focaccia to a cutting board. Shave or grate the pecorino over
the top and garnish with the remaining thyme. Cut the focaccia
and serve warm. Or let cool on a rack and then cut.

Shaping instructions:
6) Use the dough spatula to pull all the dough out of the
container onto an unfloured work surface. Lightly flour the
surface of the dough and use a bench knife to cut the dough
into two equal pieces (remember, this recipe makes enough
bread for two loaves). As you cut the first piece, use the
bench knife to flip it so that the floured side rests on the work
surface. Do the same with the second piece of dough.
At this point you want to incorporate as little flour as
possible into the dough. Fold the cut side of each piece of
dough onto itself so that the flour on the surface of the dough
is sealed on the outside of the loaf. The outer surface of the
dough will become the crust, so you may use more flour on
your hands to avoid sticking.
Using the bench knife and one hand, work each piece of
dough into a round shape. Tension builds when the dough
slightly anchors to the work surface while you rotate it. By the
end of the shaping, the dough should have a taut, smooth
outer surface. You want to develop a strong tension in as few
movements as possible—use decisive yet gentle force while
handling the dough. If the surface rips, you have gone too far
in developing tension. Don’t worry if it does rip—this is just an
indication you should stop shaping and let the dough relax.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

hogmartin posted:

I don't know if we have a specific ME thread, but all of her stuff looks amazing:
http://www.maureenabood.com/?s=kibbeh

hell yes. Thanks!!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Curious if anyone has a good Pad Se-Ew recipe. I looked online and made a couple but was disappointed with the end results.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Flaggy posted:

Curious if anyone has a good Pad Se-Ew recipe. I looked online and made a couple but was disappointed with the end results.

http://chezpim.com/cook/pad-see-ew-for

works great for me, or did you try that one?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

large hands posted:

http://chezpim.com/cook/pad-see-ew-for

works great for me, or did you try that one?

I have not, thank you. Will give it a whirl.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Can someone explain the use of hot sauce in chicken wings to me?
Specifically, like, I made wings tonight. First time. Used a recipe that was just Frank's Red Hot and a dash of Worchestershire, came out fine, whatever.
But I see that Youtube show Hot Ones and they're using these insane sauces; now are they coating these wings in those sauces? Because every review is like "oh I use the 1 drop rule"...
Is there like a "base" buffalo sauce that everyone knows about but me, that you then add a few drops of Insane Stupid Hot Sauce to?
I guess what seems weird to me is the idea that one would cook buffalo wings with one sauce, and then dab or add a little of a second sauce to it later.
These probably seem like stupid questions but I'm trying to learn to cook things dammit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You could use different sauces to layer different flavors. Your basic buffalo wing sauce is a 50/50 mix of Frank's and melted butter. You can do all sorts of things to it after that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

You could use different sauces to layer different flavors. Your basic buffalo wing sauce is a 50/50 mix of Frank's and melted butter. You can do all sorts of things to it after that.
Or before. Frank's is just cayenne, vinegar, and garlic powder, so if you're going to be tarting it up anyway there's really no reason not to just start from scratch. It's a really basic condiment sauce, and basic vinegar and pepper sauces are pretty loving forgiving even when you're just trying to get a feel for basic technique.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Base buffalo wing sauce is 50/50 franks and melted butter. You can then add a drop or two of your favorite stupidly hot sauce if you want.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Quad posted:

But I see that Youtube show Hot Ones and they're using these insane sauces; now are they coating these wings in those sauces?

They're probably tossing them in a mixture of that particular sauce and some butter. Remember that they're trying to hurt their guests, not make proper hot wings.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Quad posted:

Can someone explain the use of hot sauce in chicken wings to me?
Specifically, like, I made wings tonight. First time. Used a recipe that was just Frank's Red Hot and a dash of Worchestershire, came out fine, whatever.
But I see that Youtube show Hot Ones and they're using these insane sauces; now are they coating these wings in those sauces? Because every review is like "oh I use the 1 drop rule"...
Is there like a "base" buffalo sauce that everyone knows about but me, that you then add a few drops of Insane Stupid Hot Sauce to?
I guess what seems weird to me is the idea that one would cook buffalo wings with one sauce, and then dab or add a little of a second sauce to it later.
These probably seem like stupid questions but I'm trying to learn to cook things dammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtjFWo4EnN8

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sauce will stick to a crispy skin. Fried is the way to go imo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
or grilled, indirect

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BraveUlysses posted:

or grilled, indirect

Nonononononononononononononono

They must, must, be deep fried.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

nah, unnecessary unless you're battering them for some reason

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:agreed:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nah, trust me I get my wings really loving crispy on the grill.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quad posted:

But I see that Youtube show Hot Ones and they're using these insane sauces
They put almost no sauce on the wings on that show. Notice how they all look the same?

Then Rachel Ray went on there, didn't even eat the wings and just had a spoonful of each hot sauce.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
When buying a whole beef tenderloin and asking the butcher to clean up, cut off the silver skin and cut in half, what percentage of the weight should you lose? I feel I just got hosed but before I go back and give them hell, I want to make sure I'm in the right.

I paid for 7.28 lbs but in the end only have 4.5 lbs of meat. I checked my scale and it seems accurate based on something else I bought today.

vvv Thanks! vvv

Gravitee fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 17, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gravitee posted:

When buying a whole beef tenderloin and asking the butcher to clean up, cut off the silver skin and cut in half, what percentage of the weight should you lose? I feel I just got hosed but before I go back and give them hell, I want to make sure I'm in the right.

I paid for 7.28 lbs but in the end only have 4.5 lbs of meat. I checked my scale and it seems accurate based on something else I bought today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Z9I_9d4Xg

I figure they trimmed the butt, tail, and chain pretty liberally. Trim your own next time and save the scraps for grind. So go back and holler till they give you 2lbs of 80/20 or even 70/30 grind for burger.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 17, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BraveUlysses posted:

Nah, trust me I get my wings really loving crispy on the grill.

Last time I tried grilling wings I made a soft squidgy mess :( Came out loving baller out of the dutch oven in canola oil, covered in flour and paprika though.

I wish filtering or otherwise disposing of oil were less painful, though. I've tried that gelatin trick a couple of times and only had partial success, the oil is still very much discolored from what it was, compared to the pictures in that article. It appears free of particulate, at least.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 17, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Since I bought this fryer for thanksgiving I'd like to try to use it at least once a month. Should I fry a goose for Christmas or stick with turkey

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've got a recipe for rye soda bread that needs 250g of wholemeal flour and 100g of rye flour. I couldn't get any rye flour so could I just use 350g of wholemeal flour and have the bread turnout ok?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mean It might turn out okay but it's not really rye bread without... rye...

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, it won't be rye soda bread, but wholemeal soda bread. I'm not really a baker so I guess I just wanted reassurance that it would still make edible bread and that you could sub wholemeal flour to rye flour 1:1.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Helith posted:

Yeah, it won't be rye soda bread, but wholemeal soda bread. I'm not really a baker so I guess I just wanted reassurance that it would still make edible bread and that you could sub wholemeal flour to rye flour 1:1.

It'll turn out fine, but the gluten structure will be a little bit more developed. Since it's soda bread and not kneaded or yeast-leavened it won't be much of a difference, if even noticeable. The grain will be slightly wider (rye produces a very tight-grained bread), and the flavor will of course be that of the flour you use. If it's an option, I would normally suggest substituting spelt for rye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Last time I tried grilling wings I made a soft squidgy mess :( Came out loving baller out of the dutch oven in canola oil, covered in flour and paprika though.

I wish filtering or otherwise disposing of oil were less painful, though. I've tried that gelatin trick a couple of times and only had partial success, the oil is still very much discolored from what it was, compared to the pictures in that article. It appears free of particulate, at least.

The trick is to let them sit on a wire rack with a dusting of salt, baking powder and spices overnight in the fridge.

http://www.meatwave.com/blog/grilled-spicy-cumin-wings-recipe