Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Is Vivaldi safe (or good) to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Dodoman posted:

He was a good composer, although most people will limit themselves to "Spring" from his 4 Seasons suite.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

He was a good composer, although most people will limit themselves to "Spring" from his 4 Seasons suite.

I'm more of a Handel guy myself.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Dodoman posted:

Serious question here: I don't have a comment about this browser but why is Chrome or Firefox not good enough for you?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Both of those remain my primary browser, I just wanted to try something else for a few days :shobon:.

In any case Vivaldi seems to be a chromium browser so I might as well use chrome.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Is there a point to using EMET on Windows 10 Pro? The EMET site says support's been extended through to 2018, but that they recommend upgrading to Win 10, and that while EMET is supported on Win10 up to 1607, it will not be supported on future versions of Win10, which I'm taking to be the Creator's Update due out H1 next year.
So does this mean that they're building all the technologies from EMET into Win10? It always struck me as odd that they released EMET as a separate add-on, rather than building it into Windows from the start... is that what they're doing going forward?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

beuges posted:

Is there a point to using EMET
Not really, no.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
If for your first question you are asking, is Windows 10 with EMET more secure then a Windows 10 machine that doesn't use EMET, then yes it is. For your second question, I dunno ask Microsoft. Microsoft already came out and said that EMET was pointless to use with Windows 10 because 10 had all the mitigation features built into it making it redundant, but this was quickly debunked by other experts concluding that EMET still has its uses.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/24/microsoft-windows-10-emet-unnecessary/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Im_Special posted:

If for your first question you are asking, is Windows 10 with EMET more secure then a Windows 10 machine that doesn't use EMET, then yes it is. For your second question, I dunno ask Microsoft. Microsoft already came out and said that EMET was pointless to use with Windows 10 because 10 had all the mitigation features built into it making it redundant, but this was quickly debunked by other experts concluding that EMET still has its uses.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/24/microsoft-windows-10-emet-unnecessary/
Historically, disabling EMET has been trivial. I wouldn't trust it, and I absolutely wouldn't trust it if Microsoft says it's not going to see any more updates. The features built in to Windows 10 aren't great, but Windows is not a secure operating system. If you want something hardened from the ground up, consider using something like OpenBSD. Basically any operating system where the font renderer isn't in the kernel is going to be a security improvement.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
I'll be updating the thread to reflect changes in EMET. That said, if OpenBSD is a consideration for use as an OS, this thread is likely not for you.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

OSI bean dip posted:

I'll be updating the thread to reflect changes in EMET. That said, if OpenBSD is a consideration for use as an OS, this thread is likely not for you.

Not to endorse it, but whats wrong with OpenBSD?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

It is an operating system with not-poor operational security :smuggo:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

RFC2324 posted:

It is like suggesting that someone learns ASM as their first programming language when Python or C++ is a better suggestion.

I run OpenBSD but never recommend it openly because it is not like using Ubuntu or FreeBSD.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OSI bean dip posted:

It is like suggesting that someone learns ASM as their first programming language when Python or C++ is a better suggestion.

I run OpenBSD but never recommend it openly because it is not like using Ubuntu or FreeBSD.

I learned C as my first language and recommended everybody do as well. :shrug:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

OSI bean dip posted:

Oh ok lol. I was confused since i have only heard good things other than a lack of user friendly

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I have a Win7 laptop that a relative dumped in my lap to 'fix' as a favour. He thought it had been slammed with chinese ransomware. Turns out it's just a butt-load of chinese spyware that takes over the screen with popups.

The problem is that it slows down the computer so much that it's completely unworkable. The computer is normally good enough to do regular office/school stuff on, but now, I can't even clean the spyware out because it takes more than half an hour to open File Explorer to launch the .exe of the ad cleaner tool I had put on a USB. So I think I would need some kind of ad/spyware cleaner that I could run on boot from a USB to get rid of all this garbage. Is there any tool like that around?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
why are you not just wiping the whole thing and reinstalling windows?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bisse posted:

I have a Win7 laptop that a relative dumped in my lap to 'fix' as a favour. He thought it had been slammed with chinese ransomware. Turns out it's just a butt-load of chinese spyware that takes over the screen with popups.

The problem is that it slows down the computer so much that it's completely unworkable. The computer is normally good enough to do regular office/school stuff on, but now, I can't even clean the spyware out because it takes more than half an hour to open File Explorer to launch the .exe of the ad cleaner tool I had put on a USB. So I think I would need some kind of ad/spyware cleaner that I could run on boot from a USB to get rid of all this garbage. Is there any tool like that around?

There's a few tools like that. Bitdefender Rescue CD:
http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-create-a-bitdefender-rescue-cd-627.html

Windows Defender Offline:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Just to name two. But if you value your time you should really just consider:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

c0burn posted:

why are you not just wiping the whole thing and reinstalling windows?
Looks like the windows license key doesn't support it. It's tied to Asus so only Asus Approved Shenanigans are allowed such as restoring from an earlier restore point, which worked for about 3 seconds before the chinese garbage-ware woke up from hibernation. So I would need to make it happen without a license key, not that that's not possible but I'll see if I can avoid it first.

Doing this is an excuse not to go christmas shopping in hell-on-earth outlet stores.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bisse posted:

Looks like the windows license key doesn't support it. It's tied to Asus so only Asus Approved Shenanigans are allowed such as restoring from an earlier restore point, which worked for about 3 seconds before the chinese garbage-ware woke up from hibernation. So I would need to make it happen without a license key, not that that's not possible but I'll see if I can avoid it first.

Doing this is an excuse not to go christmas shopping in hell-on-earth outlet stores.
What are you using to get the license key off of the machine?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

What are you using to get the license key off of the machine?

Does magical jellybean still work?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

Does magical jellybean still work?
Yeah, kind of. If there's a sticker on the laptop somewhere, I'd go with that one first.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Nuke the thing and don't even consider trying to fix it.

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

Nuke the thing and don't even consider trying to fix it.

This is the most sensible answer from both a security point of view and a "not driving yourself mad" point of view.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bisse posted:

If you can find the license key then you should be able to do a nuke and pave and install Windows 10 using the old license key. Should there be data recovery necessary first boot the laptop with a live Linux CD/thumb drive, copy the material off, then do the reinstall.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Bisse posted:

Safe mode doesn't work, and they don't have the recovery media? What model laptop is this? If the key is in the BIOS you might be able to get recovery media from Asus for free or a pittance, and from there just flatten and reinstall.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 18, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The Windows key is on the back of the laptop. There is no recovery media because I don't know why there just isn't. Safe mode doesn't work because somehow the garbage-ware is launching anyway..!

I'm gonna give the two options posted above a try, if they don't completely and immediately fix the issues i'm gonna blow this thing out and start fresh with Win10, if the license key doesn't work well hell then I guess my nephew is going to get introduced to the wonderful world of Linux.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Bisse posted:

The Windows key is on the back of the laptop. There is no recovery media because I don't know why there just isn't. Safe mode doesn't work because somehow the garbage-ware is launching anyway..!

I'm gonna give the two options posted above a try, if they don't completely and immediately fix the issues i'm gonna blow this thing out and start fresh with Win10, if the license key doesn't work well hell then I guess my nephew is going to get introduced to the wonderful world of Linux.

Oh! If you have the key you're good to go. Go here, plug that key in, and download the installation ISO. From there you can burn it to a DVD or create an image on a USB stick and use that to flatten and reinstall. If there's stuff that's important pull it off with a Linux liveCD/liveUSB.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

Oh! If you have the key you're good to go. Go here, plug that key in, and download the installation ISO. From there you can burn it to a DVD or create an image on a USB stick and use that to flatten and reinstall. If there's stuff that's important pull it off with a Linux liveCD/liveUSB.

ASUS more like ASUCKS. Not sure if this means Win10 will fail with this key or not.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 18, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bisse posted:

ASUS more like ASUCKS. Not sure if this means Win10 will fail with this key or not.

Trying Windows 10 is still worth a try - from what I've read people are still able to use Windows 7 keys to activate it even though the "free upgrade" ended. If not, this site mirrored all the Digital River Windows 7 ISOs before Microsoft closed it down, so you should be able to download a legit one from there:

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You probably don't need to go through all that hassle. Just download and use the win10 media creation tool, or download the ISOs if you're not on a recent windows OS, at this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Use the win7 key in the installer.

e: If that doesn't work, then you can fall back to using the proper edition's win7 media to install 7 and then upgrade (from within win7) with the win10 tool/ISO.

astral fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 19, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I really think they should stick with Windows 7 so that they know there's working drivers for everything and so they aren't stuck providing tech support for a brand new operating system, but I guess that's just me.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Conclusion of our tale: Windows Defender surprisingly did the job and nuked the chinese adware which was rendering the computer unusable. From there, I was able to install Malwarebytes and then Bitdefender, they should have cleaned up most of the rest. I'll settle for that and letting Bitdefender chug on in the background, along with the general advice of don't open suspicious emails, don't download suspicious poo poo, change passwords, etc.

Launched a VM to try out the windows key just out of curiosity - it didn't work on either Win7 or Win10. I guess i'm happy I didn't reformat the laptop after all.

Thanks for the help folks, and don't forget to practice DIBB daily. (Don't Install BoBrowser)

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
I would never ever trust that computer. If you can find a way to flatten this, you should do so.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

I would never ever trust that computer. If you can find a way to flatten this, you should do so.

:agreed:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

I would never ever trust a computer. If you can find a way to flatten them, you should do so.

ftfy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The only post in this thread that is provably correct.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My grandma got scammed by some DriverUpdate scareware. I got rid of it but I'm wondering what the chances are that her credit card company will cancel the charge?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pretty high, it's just a chargeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ok that's good. The ironic thing is I probably never would have found out if the shitbag she talked to on the phone hadn't tried to scam $100 more out of her after she gave them $35.