Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Passwall is great but DEEE traditionally have issues surviving the 2-4 turns of doing nothing but hugging the wall asking it to be your friend.

AE is mainly stuff like gargoyles, statues, electric eels that can show up in the early game and are a huge pain to deal with. Even stuff like sun demons, god help you if an orc priest busts one of those out.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Sage Grimm posted:

AE puts you in melee range to deal the most damage which isn't the greatest play for squishy mages. Zap can miss and Static Discharge is pricey for spamming it early game. Then Swiftness is such that you can't really cast it in preparation for handling an enemy so you're ready to bail because of the movement speed penalty after it wears off. So if things do go poorly, you need to be prescient and cast it just before things go wrong or you cross your fingers and hope the extra turn after getting reamed doesn't get you killed.

Compare that to IE which has similar play in melee range and you have Freeze not being able to miss and Ozu's Armour giving you some protection. And then the other schools have better ranged choices which lets you more easily tell when to back off before an enemy can get to kill you (ie. don't let them get adjacent!).

What's more, lightning bolt is almost certainly the weakest mid-game spell in a starting book. It's dangerous to use and highly unreliable. Static discharge can handle most threats that lightning bolt can't but also not as safely and reliably once you're a couple floors into lair as other mid game options like sticky flame/fireball, throw icicle/icebeasts, petrify/lrd or battlesphere/IMB. I actually quite like lightning bolt on low-mid level hybrids, since it's monstrously powerful if you use it at the right time and you're lucky, but it's not so easy to get enough experience to hybridize early and make lightning bolt powerful enough to feel relevant (it really needs good spell power to be worth it, because of range and accuracy more than damage). AE's starting book feels very awkward to use and much less streamlined and well designed than other books. Lightning bolt, in particular, either needs to be buffed and replaced with something else, or knocked down to level four and weakened.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PleasingFungus posted:

oh, that's a good idea! while we're talking about bringing back removed content, why not bring back shadow traps?

c'mon, let's get a petition together.

You can bring back shadow traps if you give us rmut back.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Summoners are so fun. It's so easy to dip out of a tough fight by just spamming small mammals and the summons are all really interesting with the exception of summon canine which is just a solid minion in general that I usually just try to keep up. The lack of attack spells kinda hurts, but a bow or dagger usually shores that weakness up pretty well.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Lightning bolt is pretty powerful IMO, it's just less reliable. Unlike bolt of magma, cold, fire, it does not decrease in range for each enemy it penetrates, and can naturally reach as far as you can see, quite contrary to earth, for instance. Zap is similar in this respect.

It's still the 2nd worst level five spell for handling hydras right after bolt of venom. There are still ways to work around this even before gods are considered, but God save you from blink and spiny frogs, because nothing else will (except going somewhere else, of course).

My beginner magic choices are Draconian conjurers of Vehumet- you get exposed to a lot of spells, great health and solid AC.

I also like to take up venom mages with decent slings, fighting, or polearms aptitudes. I'll train a combat skill or two to six for basic competency and then turn them off through much of lair to focus on magic. I'll often focus more on the mines or dungeons before lair, but their stats can support a variety of playstyles, including more magic, with better fuel efficiency. Tip for your venom mage- three or so levels of stealth early on can have a pretty big impact on planning your fights.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Actually, I find lightning bolt quite nice for hydras since it can one shot them a fair bit of the time. That's where it really shines, against very nasty single targets when you can set up a bounce. It's also quite good against big packs of durable critters, like yaks or death yaks. The issue is that it can also crap out and do nothing, and does so fairly frequently, while also alerting the entire floor to your position, meaning you just blew a bunch of MP on failing to resolve a bad situation at the same time as making it very likely that things are about to get a whole lot worse. It's still good, and the book of air absolutely equips you to handle just about everything in lair, it just that AE lacks a reliable main nuke in the mid game that doesn't feel lovely to use. Lightning bolt feels great as a supplementary tool, not as a main source of damage, and static discharge, which is great in around d:5 - d:6 and still decent in the early mid-game, starts to feel a little weak pretty quickly.

Venom mages are quite good, though I usually take a hybrid approach. Poison magic to 7-8 and a tiny bit in conjurations for sting early on gives you OTR and meph cloud to simply ruin the day of anything not resistant to poison, while leaving you enough xp to train a weapon and some defenses for anything that resists. Spiny frogs and black mambas can be a problem, but can typically be handled as long as you're not very poorly equipped, in which case you just do orc first. Hydras are a bigger problem, but can be managed with standard tactics (wands, walking away, conjure flame or other good low level anti-hydra spells you might have found, god powers, or just killing it in melee if you're, say, a buff Chei character).

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 17, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

My guy with the super awesome start met a salty doom.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SirSamVimes posted:

this would be the worst monky's paw deal of all time

just don't do extended it's boring anyways

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

gently caress no, keep shadow traps, I don't want rMut that bad. Especially since warding no longer exists.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

A +12 fire dragon armour, splendid!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What are some good beginner tips for a summoner to survive long term?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

What are some good beginner tips for a summoner to survive long term?

You are a hybrid class. To get value out of your summons, you need to wading into melee with them. So train a weapon (polearms!) skill and buff up your defense.
Strongly resist the urge to dip into conjurations. They are not helpful with what you're trying to do. Your mana should be spent on more meatshields, not blasting.
Ash and Chei are both solid god choices, because they support hybridization. Sif is also good, because she ensures you get those strong but rare mid/late game summon spells: tentacle, monstrous menagerie (wait did that get removed?), haunt, and so on.
As always, run before you think you need to, using your summons as shields to get a lot of extra distance.
Tailor your summons to the situation. Try to have a tool kit with different summons. No need for menagerie and summon hydra; they are both summon killey dudes spells. Instead, get hydra for murdering dudes, mana viper to lock down mages, and haunt for smite-targeted chaff.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Woah a hell portal in the lair? How can I say no?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

No. No deal. This has to be seconded and voted on and even then I'm going to claim Russia hacked the results.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Actually, I find lightning bolt quite nice for hydras since it can one shot them a fair bit of the time. That's where it really shines, against very nasty single targets when you can set up a bounce.

Lbolt accuracy is 7+pow/40, compared to 8+pow/20 for level 5 bolts and 8+pow/25 for level 6. Damage is also 1 die vs 3-6 for any other spell. This makes it horribly unreliable. Feels great to one-shot but low accuracy and high variability of damage are not ideal against something that can shred you in two turns.

Lair is especially bad because most levels are large and pretty open. It can take a while to set up a bounce and it's hard to avoid losing range doing so. Other bolts' noise is equivalent to spell level at origin and terminus so noise stays close to LOS (noise level * 1.176 in distance). Fireball and Meph do 15, but only at their target square. Lightning bolt does 25 at the origin and 25 at the terminus. This creates two sources that are as loud THROUGH A WALL as fireball or max piety Qazlal.

All this movement and noise attracts attention. In Lair this means Spiny Frogs, Blink Frogs, Moccasins, and Mambas - all common, all speed 14, all 60% movement delay in water (which hydrae also have). These guys are all deadly as gently caress to most casters and hard to escape with swiftness in big open levels with little chance to break LOS. Then there are Killer Bees, Wolves, Wyverns - all speed 15-20.

Lightning bolt is "quite nice" for Hydrae the same way Chei makes you feel "quite powerful". Meanwhile fireball/sticky flame, throw icicle, and battlesphere/IMB/dart all take them out quite nicely. Even stone arrow, it might take 5-6 casts but at least you won't invite half the goddamn level to the party.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Smiling Knight posted:

You are a hybrid class. To get value out of your summons, you need to wading into melee with them. So train a weapon (polearms!) skill and buff up your defense.
Strongly resist the urge to dip into conjurations. They are not helpful with what you're trying to do. Your mana should be spent on more meatshields, not blasting.
Ash and Chei are both solid god choices, because they support hybridization. Sif is also good, because she ensures you get those strong but rare mid/late game summon spells: tentacle, monstrous menagerie (wait did that get removed?), haunt, and so on.

Alternatively:
You are not a hybrid class. To get value of your summons, you need to let them melee. Do not train a weapon. Do not buff up your defense. Definitely dip into conjurations if you have strong apts for conj or an element. They are very helpful with what you are trying to do. Your mana should be spent on blasting when you are not summoning. Ash and Chei are terrible choices because they offer no mana return or regen. Sif is ideal, because she offers mana return, miscast protection, emergency casting, and guaranteed high level summons.

Ideally, you train nothing but spellcasting, summons, and invocations through lair with token amounts to defenses. This lets you cast menagerie and hydra by the time you hit lair branches. Around that time try to get fighting to 10 and enough dodging/gear to have EV in the high 20s. Get conjuration if you want to be a caster and weapon/hexes if you want to hybridize. You have time, high level summons will crush deep D, lair vaults, and Vaults.

edit: to be clear, not crapping on the idea of Ash/hybridization but the "pure summoner" is also highly viable. But don't play Chei as a beginner. Playing Chei will not teach you the game. It will cause you to massively devalue some threats and massively overestimate others when playing any other god.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 17, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

For those just joining us Ashe is the second best god right after Xom.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Antique Lich - A Lich who has grown expensive over the years.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The most important thing to bring back is Singularity.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ambivalent Lich - A neutral lich

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Heim Lich - A german house Lich

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Probably a dumb question: how do you access your morgue files on CAO?

VVVVV thanks!

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 18, 2016

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
^^^^ No prob!

Voodoofly posted:

Probably a dumb question: how do you access your morgue files on CAO?

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Voodoofly/

Also, you can see your profile at:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/voodoofly.html

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 18, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dang Voodoo that is a shameful record. I am disappoint

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Love the new crystal walls tiles.

Feels like I'm playing Crawl: Chessmaster 4000

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

loving shoals

jesus christ.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Veh just offered my DECj spellforged servitor; I took it on a lark despite my only experience with it being hugely negative (gross antisynergy with ChainLit and Tornado). With haste now gone (and me ruing my charms investment for Battlesphere), is this actually a good spell anymore? It seems absurdly limiting in order to get it work (the HUGE pruning of own spellbook with super-limited amnesia scrolls) only to get a few extra casts of Parrow/Iood/LCS?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
First victory since coming back to the game. Last played when 0.15 was in development! http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/brainwrinkle/morgue-brainwrinkle-20161218-030759.txt

pre:
1599834 brainwrinkle the Slayer (level 27, 141/176 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Monk on Dec 7, 2016.
             Was an Elder of Hepliaklqana.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Dec 18, 2016!

The game lasted 13:41:09 (79442 turns).

brainwrinkle the Slayer (Gargoyle Monk)            Turns: 79442, Time: 13:41:10

Health: 141/176    AC: 71    Str: 22    XL:     27
Magic:  34/36      EV: 14    Int: 11    God:    Hepliaklqana [****..]
Gold:   4786       SH: 22    Dex: 22    Spells: 1 memorised, 28 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +    a - +9 demon whip (freeze)
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    F - +11 gold dragon scales
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    j - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    e - +1 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  +          Reflect  +    T - +2 cloak
rCorr  +          Harm     .    y - +0 pair of gloves
MR     +++..      Clarity  +    E - +2 pair of boots {run}
Stlth  +.........               Y - +5 amulet of reflection
                                L - ring "Pyaraf" {Int-2 Dex+5 Slay+3 Stlth+}
                                A - ring of resist corrosion

@: flying, very slightly contaminated, quick
A: reduced essence, big wings, icy blue scales 1, see invisible, clarity,
negative energy resistance 1, electricity resistance, slow regeneration 2, weak
1, unbreathing, evolution 1, petrification resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
a: Stop Flying, Recall Ancestor, Ancestor Identity, Transference, Idealise,
Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, silver
While I think this character was easily extended capable, I just don't really want to do it again after completing it once. The limited health pool also made me quite nervous. I had absurd wand luck and good enough luck on armor and weapons. I also survived an Abyss:3 at XL 14 when I had no reason to make it out.

This is my third win overall. Previous wins were 3 rune MiBe, and 15 rune MfSk. Gargoyles are cheating. Hepliaklqana with the Hexes ancestor is cheating. Combined I had to worry about smiters and almost nothing else. Looks like I only died 3 times before winning again, so I guess some of your skills do stick with you.

Despite all of my bitching, I think the DCSS devs do a pretty great job of improving the game. Shorter branches helped address boring stretches where nothing too interesting happened.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Serephina posted:

Veh just offered my DECj spellforged servitor; I took it on a lark despite my only experience with it being hugely negative (gross antisynergy with ChainLit and Tornado). With haste now gone (and me ruing my charms investment for Battlesphere), is this actually a good spell anymore? It seems absurdly limiting in order to get it work (the HUGE pruning of own spellbook with super-limited amnesia scrolls) only to get a few extra casts of Parrow/Iood/LCS?

I wonder if there's any reason haste wasn't just changed to haste other.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wonder if there's any reason haste wasn't just changed to haste other.
I don't think Haste Other would be a good spell: it'd improve the power of your crew considerably. At the expense of coming relatively late, I guess? I could see the effect on a wand, but not on a spell. Thinking about ally buffs is interesting, but I find it hard to come up with ideas that don't fall flat outright. The reason for this, of course, is that spells demand much higher standards than consumables or god powers.

Regular Brogue advertisement: that game has a staff (Brogue's spell equivalent) of haste other.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Here is a tip if you see runed or shiny quicksilver dragon armor it's cursed.

Are you guys ready to hate my new OpWz yet?
code:
Found 3 scrolls labeled RAFETE TIDU.
_K - 3 scrolls labeled RAFETE TIDU
 As you read the scroll labeled RAFETE TIDU, it crumbles to dust.
 This is a scroll of acquirement!
_Something appears before you!
_L - a clouded turquoise ring
 You feel clever.
_L - the ring "Decoqits" (right tentacle) {rC+ Int+2}
 As you read the scroll of acquirement, it crumbles to dust.
_M - a diamond ring
_M - a ring of see invisible (on tentacle)
_K - a flickering bone ring
_K - the ring "Wifi" (on tentacle) {Wiz *Corrode rElec rPois Stlth+}
I'm on D8. Of course, my only damage spells are Magic Dart and Flame Tongue going into Lair...

If you're in town stay with my Op he's got really good Wifi...

edit: STILL ON D8!

code:
Found 2 scrolls of acquirement.
_g - 2 scrolls of acquirement
_N - a sapphire ring
 You feel stronger.
_N - a +2 ring of strength (left tentacle)
_g - an ivory ring
 g - a ring of protection from fire (on tentacle)
Five. Five scrolls of acquirement. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Also Misfortune and Young Poisoner's. Does Yara's Unravelling work on monsters poisoned with Olgreb or just the caster? Does it work on confusion applied by meph? Anyone ever use it? It seems situational.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 18, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Good lord with luck like that something insane is going to happen like hornet and lernean hydra waiting by the upstair

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Pandemonium sure is a blast with ashenzari on your side. Stomp around, obliterate everything, run from pan lords and have them ambush you on later levels.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Shatter + Tornado is such a great combination.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

dpeg posted:

I don't think Haste Other would be a good spell: it'd improve the power of your crew considerably. At the expense of coming relatively late, I guess? I could see the effect on a wand, but not on a spell. Thinking about ally buffs is interesting, but I find it hard to come up with ideas that don't fall flat outright. The reason for this, of course, is that spells demand much higher standards than consumables or god powers.

Regular Brogue advertisement: that game has a staff (Brogue's spell equivalent) of haste other.

It could be a very rare like certain other high level spells and gear. Most games don't involve minions, and most games that do wouldn't actually find the spell. So the odd game in which you find it and can use it would be interesting. Sorta like certain highly specific unrands.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Araganzar posted:

Five. Five scrolls of acquirement. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So I got a treasure trove on D10 that wanted 7 pots of Haste. That is usually a devil's bargain for a pode but by shoals 4 I had 7 haste pots and a wand of haste.

So what the hell, let's try this trove out:

Ahahaha

Ahahahahhaaha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Nice hat NERD

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Are all the rings cursed?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

dpeg posted:

In my opinion, you could drop it to level 5 and it would be fairly easy to cast in heavier armors, and there are a lot of gods that provide ally summons (also Hep buddies wouldn't need to have haste-self as a spell). It would also serve a beckoning-like function in getting chaff to stand between you and something really dangerous while you high-tailed it to the stairs.

And wands of Haste can already be targeted, unless you're proposing one with a lot more charges to spend on your allies..

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Nothing like finding the amulet "Redeaf" {Gourm rF+++ rC+++ Int-5 Dex+3} when resists are already good, so using harm over it. (Also I don't like getting Brainless from random neqoxec summons and such).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Speleothing posted:

In my opinion, you could drop it to level 5 and it would be fairly easy to cast in heavier armors, and there are a lot of gods that provide ally summons (also Hep buddies wouldn't need to have haste-self as a spell). It would also serve a beckoning-like function in getting chaff to stand between you and something really dangerous while you high-tailed it to the stairs.

And wands of Haste can already be targeted, unless you're proposing one with a lot more charges to spend on your allies..
I think there's a misunderstanding here: I don't talk about Haste Other being "good to use for players"; that's probably the case. I am talking about Haste Other being "good design", and I claim it's not because it would be a meta-effect buffing summon power by 150% or so. This has already been one of the problems for the old Haste spell. For summons, you additionally have the issue that with the the player hanging back, there'd be ample time to buff strong summons one by one.

Re: wands of haste: There's been discussion about removing all of /haste, /heal wounds, /teleportation, and one can hope this will happen before 0.20.

• Locked thread