Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

timn posted:

CZs are going to be the fastest way to score those kills anyway, so it seems kind of moot. Who actually thinks trying to kill dozens of ships from a specific faction by hunting them down in the wild is a good idea?

The issue you run into is that in Conflict Zones, you're not facing one ship that meets the criteria for the quest, knocking it out, and then moving to the next. Rather, you are facing ALL the ships that meet the criteria of that quest, and hoping you can outtank and outmaneuver them all (which might be possible in a larger ship, I'm not sure). It means that many of these missions are only going to be viable if you've got other people to fleet up with to help.

Especially since the whole "just tag it before it dies" thing doesn't seem to work as well as it used to, and still has a tendency to get the attention of the opposing factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

timn posted:

Question for beta-havers: how is the shield regen mechanic from reboot/repair looking?

I'm wondering if it's going to make shield cell banks and maybe even biweave shields kind of moot for PVE if you can just reboot inbetween every fight to get a decent baseline chunk of shield back, what with prismatics and engineered shield boosters letting you hit such high numbers.

In the current beta biweaves are monsters, no reboot necessary. Using old mechanics you can do exactly what you suggested and it works really well - by itself it's a game changer.

sethimothy posted:

The issue you run into is that in Conflict Zones, you're not facing one ship that meets the criteria for the quest, knocking it out, and then moving to the next. Rather, you are facing ALL the ships that meet the criteria of that quest, and hoping you can outtank and outmaneuver them all (which might be possible in a larger ship, I'm not sure). It means that many of these missions are only going to be viable if you've got other people to fleet up with to help.

Especially since the whole "just tag it before it dies" thing doesn't seem to work as well as it used to, and still has a tendency to get the attention of the opposing factor.

Knowing how to manage aggro is I think the biggest thing for a CZ. If you can do it, CZs are super easy since you can get a gigantic wing of friendlies that just perma-steamroll enemy reinforcements

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 16, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Chrysophylax posted:

In the current beta biweaves are monsters, no reboot necessary. Using old mechanics you can do exactly what you suggested and it works really well - by itself it's a game changer.

Cool, can't wait to see how things shake out in the final patch.

Chrysophylax posted:

Knowing how to manage aggro is I think the biggest thing for a CZ. If you can do it, CZs are super easy since you can get a gigantic wing of friendlies that just perma-steamroll enemy reinforcements

Yeah, if you can keep an eye on the radar every now and then to stop yourself from getting isolated from the herd then you'll be fine. Also a < 10 mil budget Vulture is perfectly sufficient and is pretty quickly attainable with high-RES rates of making money. There's actually very little risk or barrier to entry for PVE if you understand what you're doing.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

(Seems appropriate to dust this off.)

:nallears:

You're right, we should all be banned for playing this game.

Posting quality would certainly go up.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I did more draconis to make my system take a clean three billion, so now I have two billion in my funds after the cutter.

Not having to grind through money or worry about rebuy costs undermining weeks of work has made this game fun again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DreadLlama posted:

I am in a bit of a situation.

I was going about my business as usual, but suddenly the war was over so my actions were technically illegal and now I'm wanted for warcrimes. The police were shooting at me earlier and I found it very stressful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kidd

Kavros posted:

I did more draconis to make my system take a clean three billion, so now I have two billion in my funds after the cutter.

Not having to grind through money or worry about rebuy costs undermining weeks of work has made this game fun again.

Yup. Now the only thing left is hovering over your hoard while posting on the Brown Sea to make sure no other players can earn spacemoney! :eng101:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I really want to get into this game, but what hope do i have if i can't even park this goddamn vehicle manually?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Fargin Icehole posted:

I really want to get into this game, but what hope do i have if i can't even park this goddamn vehicle manually?

Bind forward thrust and backward thrust to R and F respectively and use them for your back and forth manouevring when docking rather than your main throttle. Use your lateral/vertical thrusters gently, and relax. It'll get easier, quickly.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Fargin Icehole posted:

It gets easier. I've been playing for a while now, and oddly it's still one of the more satisfying parts of the game.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Fargin Icehole posted:

Make sure Flight Assist and Rotational Correction are both activated!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Also there's only one correct way to be facing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can now buy a chrome cobra skin.
https://www.frontierstore.net/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras/cobra-mk-iv-chrome-paint-job.html

It's very nice but I still think red ignition is the best cobra skin.
https://www.frontierstore.net/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras/cobra-red-ignition.html

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

It is my heartfelt opinion it is far too easy to get federal rank and that from now on it should be impossible. For gameplay reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kidd posted:

[...]unjustly vilified and prosecuted[...]only a handful of skirmishes

True and accurate.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Fargin Icehole posted:

It just takes a little practice.

What control method are you using? Remember you have vertical and lateral thrusters to help aligning with the pad.

You'll soon be joining in speed docking challenges with the rest of us.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

INTJ Mastermind posted:

There's already stuff to do in supercruise: navigating gravity wells, fuel scooping with heat management, exploring USS, and the threat of pirate interdictions.

Would you like the game better if it's like the current beta where you start with a billion dollars, all ships unlocked, and your station has all the modules and engineer mods available?

Yes

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when games just came with all the poo poo unlocked and you just played a game?

Could you imagine playing Midwinter and having to grind out "ski better" for hours just so Stark could reach the next village and their precious supply of C4?
You know, as opposed to just loving skiing there and using your actual skills to dodge the artillery instead of upgrading your snow suit, skis, etc etc like modern games would probably make you do first.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

DancingShade posted:

Remember when games just came with all the poo poo unlocked and you just played a game?

Could you imagine playing Midwinter and having to grind out "ski better" for hours just so Stark could reach the next village and their precious supply of C4?
You know, as opposed to just loving skiing there and using your actual skills to dodge the artillery instead of upgrading your snow suit, skis, etc etc like modern games would probably make you do first.

Hang gliding would be a $9.95 DLC.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Turmoil posted:

Hang gliding would be a $9.95 DLC.

Each skin for the hang glider would be $5. Rare snowsuits would be in lockboxes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Honestly, I also remember games where you could get locked into a death cycle with no way out if you used the wrong item the wrong time, or games having skills which sounded awesome, but were totally useless.

And seriously, "unlocking" is just adding the pretense of progress to a sandbox game. Complaining against the illusion of progress in my mind sounds a little like complaining about Tetris' levels: Sure, you don't actually progress anywhere, the game just goes faster and faster until you lose, but that doesn't mean having levels is "bad" and the game should be reduced to all levels being selectable at the start.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We agree. Unlocking is just a pretense of progression - it has nothing to do with actual gameplay content as you're just doing a repetitive something that you wouldn't otherwise choose to do in order to get a thing to go and do the stuff you actually want to do.

Progression is stuff like "hey I overcame the invading armada of Zebulon 7 and now the system is free" or "I snuck past the bandits and didn't get killed, now where is the Baron's daughter being held".
Heck here's a good ED analogy - in Star Raiders 2 on my old Atari XE you "progressed" to the alien invader solar system once you had cleared out whatever you deemed enough invading fleets in your home system to give you a time window to go bomb alien cities. Then you flew back to repair and take out the fleets that arrived while you were gone. Eventually you either died, lost all your cities or blew up all of theirs.
ED would require you spend 150 hours grinding out the spaceship to do this first and spend 20 minutes playing space desert bus every time you wanted to move to a new action hotspot.

Yeah Sierra was notorious for gently caress-you adventure game puzzle design and probably contributed to the near death of the genre. They sold expensive hint books for all their adventure games so they fully monetized the gently caress you too.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 17, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I don't think we agree, since I don't see the pretense of progression as a bad thing. I don't mind unlocking something as long as what I need to do to unlock isn't too absurdly grindy.

I can agree that Elite's approach can be a bit on the absurd side, though. :v:

You probably wouldn't like my solution of having more unlocks, but being able to grind less to get them faster.

It also would be neat if military ranks meant more then just straight up unlocks for ships, or power play more then just unlocks for cool modules, but at least the systems are already there, there's the chance of Frontier making something out of them.

Compare this to the burning tire fire of Star Citizen, where all game systems are just made up and probably won't exist ever.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I'm trying to do Zacariah Nemo and Bill Turner in anticipation of 2.2.03 and boy let me tell you how fun it is to get permits:

It's horrific

And I have to mine 50 tons of bromelite on top of the permit, oh boy I cannot wait

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you're enjoying the progression based skinner box there's nothing wrong with that. It's what keeps MMOs in business after all.

I'm just incredibly over doing repetitive crap in order to get a thing when I feel like that thing should just be an option on a shelf somewhere. Especially in ED where the forced online was tacked on partway through.
In X3:TC the unmodified grind was pretty bad too but ultimately since it was a single player experience you had save games to avert disasters and script mods to give you anything you wanted if you felt like it.

Now that I think about it, the grind in ED is worse than X3. Wow. At least in X3 I could actually do the stuff I wanted (combat missions) and the ways enemies scaled to your combat rank was a lot less harsh than in ED where the difference between master and deadly is extremely noticeable.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Today's new store paint job is a chromed sidewinder. No point linking it because who the hell is going to buy that.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

DancingShade posted:

Today's new store paint job is a chromed sidewinder. No point linking it because who the hell is going to buy that.

I have a golden sidewinder skin. We were going to play space Quidditch, but it didn't work out

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
re: new shield regen numbers, my one sample, back of the napkin estimate puts a class 6 biweave at a shields-up regen of 5.25MW :eyepop:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Fargin Icehole posted:

Buy a docking computer, docking manually is for peasants.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Libluini posted:

I don't think we agree, since I don't see the pretense of progression as a bad thing. I don't mind unlocking something as long as what I need to do to unlock isn't too absurdly grindy.

I can agree that Elite's approach can be a bit on the absurd side, though. :v:

You probably wouldn't like my solution of having more unlocks, but being able to grind less to get them faster.

It also would be neat if military ranks meant more then just straight up unlocks for ships, or power play more then just unlocks for cool modules, but at least the systems are already there, there's the chance of Frontier making something out of them.

Compare this to the burning tire fire of Star Citizen, where all game systems are just made up and probably won't exist ever.

How is star citizen actually shaping up? I don't follow it but the video they released a month ago? Makes it seem like they've made a lot of progress recently and the jokes about it never being finished are less accurate.

It's actually looking better than elite now if I'm honest (based on an admittedly staged trailer in sure).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mr. Crow posted:

How is star citizen actually shaping up? I don't follow it but the video they released a month ago? Makes it seem like they've made a lot of progress recently and the jokes about it never being finished are less accurate.

It's actually looking better than elite now if I'm honest (based on an admittedly staged trailer in sure).

It's a horror show. They had a holiday stream yesterday that showed they had made no progress whatsoever, and the two marquee patches that were supposed to come out this year won't come out. It was babbys first webcam amateur hour.

But then their forums and reddit blew up as even the truly faithful were calling out the utter incompetence of it all, so they rushed out a severely stripped-down version of the patch they had just said they wouldn't release, and it's apparently the most broken thing ever.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

I think you need to fit a carbon monoxide alarm.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tippis posted:

It's a horror show. They had a holiday stream yesterday that showed they had made no progress whatsoever, and the two marquee patches that were supposed to come out this year won't come out. It was babbys first webcam amateur hour.

But then their forums and reddit blew up as even the truly faithful were calling out the utter incompetence of it all, so they rushed out a severely stripped-down version of the patch they had just said they wouldn't release, and it's apparently the most broken thing ever.

It's impossible for me to follow the train wreck as it's happening but the updates just make my day

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's impossible for me to follow the train wreck as it's happening but the updates just make my day

I'm sure they'll fix it, now that it has been noticed, but at the moment this is an actual URL leading to an actual image on their actual CDN: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/18235dq8cydhur/store_slideshow_small_zoom/Misc-This-loving-lovely-Ship-Sucks-Dick-V6.jpg

They also managed to misspell one of their own alien races in promo material meant to sell ships belonging to that race.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tippis posted:

I'm sure they'll fix it, now that it has been noticed, but at the moment this is an actual URL leading to an actual image on their actual CDN: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/18235dq8cydhur/store_slideshow_small_zoom/Misc-This-loving-lovely-Ship-Sucks-Dick-V6.jpg

They also managed to misspell one of their own alien races in promo material meant to sell ships belonging to that race.

:allears: Thank you so much

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Latest discovery: apparently, it's just silly rather than completely stupid — you can request the file by any name, and it'll come up. The site seems to go by the ID hash earlier in the URL rather than the actual filename.

So https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/18235dq8cydhur/store_slideshow_small_zoom/CthulhuForPresident.jpg will have the same result. That's funny in a completely different way. :D

That's probably enough not-E:D news for now. Suffice to say, it's as hilarious a mess as it's ever been.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Latest discovery: apparently, it's just silly rather than completely stupid — you can request the file by any name, and it'll come up. The site seems to go by the ID hash earlier in the URL rather than the actual filename.

So https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/18235dq8cydhur/store_slideshow_small_zoom/CthulhuForPresident.jpg will have the same result. That's funny in a completely different way. :D

That's probably enough not-E:D news for now. Suffice to say, it's as hilarious a mess as it's ever been.

gently caress, that really is just a race car without wheels. What the hell are those clowns doing?

(And yet, people still give them money.)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

gently caress, that really is just a race car without wheels. What the hell are those clowns doing?

(And yet, people still give them money.)

Everyone knows you need a lot of downforce when flying.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tippis posted:

Everyone knows you need a lot of downforce when flying.
How else would you land? :confused:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The thing to consider is that a lot of Elite's 'mile-wide inch-deep' design problems are more or less endemic to open world space games. We saw the same thing with No Man's Sky, and past cult favorites like the X series, Freelancer, etc. just obscured the issue by having a campaign of scripted missions bolted on top (something I predict Frontier is planning to do with Elite after seeing what they did with the revamped 2.2 training missions). Sure there are some obvious things Frontier could do to make the game more accessible and more respectful of the player's time, but those changes wouldn't make the gameplay any deeper.

The point is that building an open world space game with real depth is hard without either making serious compromises in the space sim aspect or having an inordinate amount of time and resources. This problem is going to be just as difficult for CIG to solve as it has been for Frontier and every other developer that's done one of these games before. And given CIG's track record so far, there really isn't any reason to believe they're going to magically pull a rabbit out a hat here.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

The thing to consider is that a lot of Elite's 'mile-wide inch-deep' design problems are more or less endemic to open world space games. We saw the same thing with No Man's Sky, and past cult favorites like the X series, Freelancer, etc. just obscured the issue by having a campaign of scripted missions bolted on top (something I predict Frontier is planning to do with Elite after seeing what they did with the revamped 2.2 training missions). Sure there are some obvious things Frontier could do to make the game more accessible and more respectful of the player's time, but those changes wouldn't make the gameplay any deeper.

The point is that building an open world space game with real depth is hard without either making serious compromises in the space sim aspect or having an inordinate amount of time and resources. This problem is going to be just as difficult for CIG to solve as it has been for Frontier and every other developer that's done one of these games before. And given CIG's track record so far, there really isn't any reason to believe they're going to magically pull a rabbit out a hat here.

Right now it looks more like CIG will magically pull a demonic horror out of their hat and get devoured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tippis posted:

Ahahaha

• Locked thread