Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's a "work gives me monetary stipend and I use that to pay my phone bill" situation. I just got it this week I'm going to fuss at the Verizon store staff and I guess go to the Apple Store if they try to pass the buck.

14 days return period on iPhones, should have no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Went into the Verizon store. Thankfully I got a call while I was talking to him and it did it so I didn't have to plead my case too hard.

That said he didn't swap the SIM card even after me saying I'd do it myself saying "it'll activate in a few minutes". It still hasn't activated :cripes:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ok so I got this SE. Every so often the screen is unresponsive. Like I can't press things on the screen, it won't swipe, etc. Locking the phone via the power button fixes it but it's annoying and there's a 50/50 chance that it'll happen when I get a phone call so I can't swipe to answer the phone and it has to go to voicemail -- not ideal for a work phone.

I don't have a case on it, the screen is clean, do I have a defective unit?

edit: nevermind, it sounds like you got it sorted out.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

bows1 posted:

Can anyone show me an easy way to clear out all your photos and gifs stored in messages?

No one has a clear explanation and my phone is chock full of them.

Anyone?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Delete the conversation, it'll purge all the images from that chat.

Otherwise maybe some iexplorer type tool can do it, but there's no iOS way to do it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

bows1 posted:

Anyone?

Delete the offending message threads.

"I need to keep them-"

No you don't.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Counterpoint: sometimes you *really* need to find that gif you sent last month.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you need to worry about space used by messages you bought the wrong sized iPhone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Or send your dick pics to fewer women. I guarantee not all of them are happy to see it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Those dick panoramas take a lot of space.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So my iphone 6 battery still lasts a long while but anything <10% and it can die, but also can last 20 mins at 1%. Is there any possible fix? or only a new battery? It's also on 9.3.3 if it matters

I'm gonna sell it but can't with a clear conscious without mentioning so I'll probably just knock some cash off

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Wait how many Nostalgia4X accounts are there?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MrBond posted:

maybe 4-5 left, was just a silly joke two years ago or so, haven't bothered to change it. Plust it matches my AV.

Posted in the ATT thread, but i'll ask here if ya'll don't mind

quote:

is buying a carrier locked iphone a terrible idea?

this dude selling an att iphone 7. I don't plan on switching carriers anytime soon.

He said att won't unlock it because they had to do it initially or some poo poo. The IMEI is clear. He said it was bought outright with cash, but it also sounds like he might not be too savvy with all that stuff.

I mean, as long as the imei is sorted, my SIM works, there's not really any way I can get hosed here? But if it was bought with cash I should be able to unlock it even if I'm not the original owner?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Checking again, is it worth it to pay $300 for an iphone6 replacement? Mine's 128GB I'm not sure if the guy at the apple store factored that in when he quoted the price or if it's always $300 to replace it out of warranty.

Or would I be better off getting it repaired?

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I went to the apple store to get my iphone 6 looked at for GPS issues and they suggested resetting, which I did, but that didn't solve the problem. They also pointed out that the phone was slightly bent near the volume buttons, which I hadn't noticed earlier, and said it could be a hardware issue, but they can't replace the antenna in store. I'm out of warranty but they said I could get a replacement for $300. What are my other options?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Posted in the ATT thread, but i'll ask here if ya'll don't mind

Uh well for starters that sounds ridiculously sketchy given that nothing he is saying is making sense

Let me guess, really good price?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Checking again, is it worth it to pay $300 for an iphone6 replacement? Mine's 128GB I'm not sure if the guy at the apple store factored that in when he quoted the price or if it's always $300 to replace it out of warranty.

Or would I be better off getting it repaired?

$299 is the cost for any capacity iPhone 6 out of warranty replacement.

If you can find a repair shop that can do it, you could try an antenna replacement. I know my shop can't do that one because our suppliers don't stock the parts. But if you find a shop that can get it through their suppliers or eBay or whatever, it might be worth a shot.

The issue is that if it doesn't work, then you're paying for a repair plus a replacement.

If you got the 6 when it was fairly new, you can probably upgrade to a 6S or 7 at this point instead of replacing it. The cost of a used iPhone 6 128gb seems to be hovering around $350 at the moment, so unless you're planning on holding onto it until it falls apart as opposed to trading it in, you probably wouldn't get $300 back selling it later. Plus no guarantee another 6 wont wind up with GPS issues or bending, since both seem to be fairly common.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is there any way to get rid of the red dot on the Watch app for 3.1.1 which was downloaded but not installed? Since apple pulled the update it won't install on my watch and I'm spergy about my red dots

widunder
May 2, 2002

widunder posted:

I have an iPhone backup on iTunes of an old iPhone that is now erased. I'd like to move my old messages, notes and pictures from that backup onto another iPhone without using the restore function, ie I only want to transfer that specific content to the other iPhone. Any ideas?

I've looked at different apps but I can't figure out how to do it. I'm on a Mac.
Anyone?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Backups are an all or nothing affair.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

MrBond posted:

there are many imitators but there can be only one

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya dats me

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Google around for backup extracting apps. I don't know how well they can transplant stuff, but they can probably pull a lot of data out. Decipher Tools is one company in particular.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Idk if it's been brought up a million times but I went from 10.1.1 to 10.2 on my 6s and my battery life is about half to 2/3 what it was. I unplugged it around noon at a full charge and it's already down to 65% using it only for texting and a little forums browsing.

It definitely didn't poo poo itself until 2 days ago immediately after I updated.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Rolo posted:

Idk if it's been brought up a million times but I went from 10.1.1 to 10.2 on my 6s and my battery life is about half to 2/3 what it was. I unplugged it around noon at a full charge and it's already down to 65% using it only for texting and a little forums browsing.

It definitely didn't poo poo itself until 2 days ago immediately after I updated.

It might still be doing a shitload of reindexing and other background tasks after the update?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here's hoping, it's gone down another 9% since I posted that.

Several days later though?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Rolo posted:

Here's hoping, it's gone down another 9% since I posted that.

Several days later though?

Try holding down your power and home buttons at the same time until the phone shuts off and then turn it back on. That should recalibrate magneto reluctance to homeostasis. Good luck.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

decypher posted:

Try holding down your power and home buttons at the same time until the phone shuts off and then turn it back on. That should recalibrate magneto reluctance to homeostasis. Good luck.

Didn't fix it. Had to plug it in, my phone didn't make it 10 hours today with me barely using it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

decypher posted:

Every time I read this post I see Magneto with a very skeptical look on his face.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Have you tried turning off battery %?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Not sure if :thejoke: but regardless of the number it gives, it still dies when it hits about 8% ten hours later. So regardless of the numerical graphic, it's definitely draining.

According to this, Messages is taking up 30% of my battery life. Texting periodically, really?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Does Mario Run occasionally hang for a few frames for anyone else? I'm on an SE so I should have near the top performance. I don't play enough games on it to have a comparison.

I bought the full game, I will say the levels actually do get better and present somewhat of a challenge, unlike the demo levels. The coin challenges add a reasonable amount of replay value . I feel like there should have been the standard 8 "worlds", giving 32 levels, but overall I think they did the right thing, its definitely a phone game but still distinctly a Mario game and better than most phone games.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 19, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The iPhone 7 is actually pretty ok

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I actually did this now that I have a Plus. I was ending days with like 85-90% battery, so I was like, who cares?

But now I'm playing a lot of Super Mario Run and using Procamera & Snapseed often for RAW photo capture/processing, and that straight up murders my battery. I actually had to plug my phone in midway through the day today.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
My wife has a new iPhone 7 that seems to stop accepting input on the lock screen after turning it on occasionally. The only way to fix it, is to hold down VOL-DOWN and WAKE/UNLOCK until it force reboots.

Should I bring this back to the Apple store, or is there something else I can try?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Try a restore and then Bring it back if there's no joy

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Try a restore and then Bring it back if there's no joy

By restore, do you mean via iTunes? Or restore via the settings? What should I do about app data?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Back it up?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I bought some airpods at the Apple store today. I'm impressed. The case is much smaller than I expected - about the size of a small dental floss container. The lid is magnetic the hinge feels pretty strong. The headphones themselves feel just like the regular earpods - I can't really tell the difference.

I really like how you can pause audio by pulling one of the airpods out of your ear, and the audio will restart when you put it back in.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
How do they perform through heavy coats and layers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My work phone (5s) updated to 10.2 which made me realise my personal phone (6s) hasn't updated for a while - it's still on 10.0.2. The update isn't appearing in Settings at all. I remember the same issue when 10.0.0 came out - I had to update over iTunes but that caused a ton of issues and took like 3 hours as the process kept cancelling.

Any ideas for getting updates to start appearing? I already restored to get 10.0.2 as that wouldn't update either. All my googling brings up forum posts telling people to restart their phone, only try over wifi, sign in/out of iCloud, which I've done.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the beta software - I used to be on the beta program but de-enrolled as I kept getting notifications for betas I didn't want. Since then I'm not getting updates for full releases.