Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What's actually funny about this is that it means the Empire still didn't bother reevaluating the plans when they built the Second Death Star, as they covered the exhaust port but apparently left in the flaw that caused the whole station to explode when the reactor was disabled.

Hubris, indeed.

Eh, to be fair they did more than just tap the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Popete posted:

Just got back, what a fantastic movie. They really set the bar high for these "legends" films, there was so much going on in this one and it tied in with all the current cannon in a very clean way. Lots of little references even to the Tarkin book that came out a few years back.

One thing I'm curious about, the Alliance and Jyn kept mentioning the force (where did she get that cyrstal?). Are we to assume that the Alliance was pro-Jedi and believed in the force as a power for good at this time? Almost all the jedi have been killed and it seems a bit odd that they keep telling each other "may the force be with you".

I think that the Force is supposed to be a religion that extends beyond the Jedi, in a galaxy that (as far as the movies go) is relatively non-religious. You've got things like the Force cult on Jakku in TFA, and the guy in ANH who refers to Vader being part of some ancient religious order. So I think the Force is bigger than just the Jedi and "may the Force be with you" is a broader statement.

I don't think the Rebels are explicitly pro-Jedi, but the people higher up in the command structure obviously know about Palpatine's lie, and the average Rebel is probably familiar with conspiracy theories about how Coruscant was an inside job.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

"Thing blows up when its power source is blown up" is standard movie logic.

This kinda undercuts any significance RO has to the whole story, though, because it makes the Grand Weakness the dude installed in it... not really one. He didn't install any weakness into the reactor like everyone says, the dude took a ruler and made a little hole to the reactor. It kinda came off as weak, to me.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 17, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Very plodding start (but the marshy planet looked amazing!) but once those gears get going: wow! Loved it! I think I over hyped it a bit but that's my fault.

Glad they took out, "I rebel".

And I loved all the little SW: Rebels Easter eggs.

General Syndulla over the speakers
The Ghost flying around in the battle (and announced over speakers,VCX-100)
Chopper showing up on screen(!!) when the rebels find out about Scariff(sp?) ((on the left there https://gfycat.com/OrangeHollowAltiplanochinchillamouse))

Can't wait to see how the rest of the season lined up with this movie. Kanaan and Ezra are either dead at this point or something happens shortly after.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 17, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Comstar posted:

I'm pretty sure there was one at the base on Yavin 4.

Guess I'll have to go see it again to confirm. Thanks for the tip.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Also another thing tying into Rebels

quote:

We haven't really seen this Vader, so inexorable and merciless, in the movies before this; he's really only approached that level of aggression in Rebels. His threat and power were portrayed very economically in the OT, to great effect. And compared to other modern movies, what they showed at the end of Rogue One was also relatively restrained - just enough to tell us what a terrifying warrior he was on the battlefield. It was perfect.

Vader's fighting style is distinct, both in Rebels and Rogue One. He's slow, because he doesn't have to be fast. He uses the Force to disable his enemies so he can pick them off at will. He often holds his lightsaber with only one hand. He towers over everyone. The Rogue One hallway scene, and the scene from Siege of Lothal when he rises from beneath the fallen walkers and tosses them aside casually behind them, are absolutely iconic for me. I can't wait to go see Rogue One again on Monday and watch the hallway scene again.

Also, yes, that was Mustafar

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/809608626125959168

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 17, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

http://i.imgur.com/oHlYlyN.mp4

Really curious about v1.0 of this movie.

If you watch the pre-release materials, you'll see that the satellite dish was originally located on the beach. Also K-2SO is still alive at that point because you can see Alan Tudyk in his mocap suit running on the beach in the background.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
No matter what your opinion on Clone Wars or the prequels or even Rogue One itself, everyone in this thread should watch Rebels. It's just full of yay!

Those easter eggs tho

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

hhhat posted:

There was actually a point where there *wasn't* one but the scene practically screamed for it which made me stop and think that the director was absolutely trying to make a point and not do it.

Also dude who reminded me of the opening crawl in ANH you blew my mind. I've seen that movie countless times but reading that after R1 was like whoah.

The best prequel :3

Ok I just went back and read ANH opening crawl too. This movie now meshes way better than I originally thought. But I still wish Poggle was in this and Jyn was his daughter.

I give this movie 7 out of 10 Jar-Jars.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

If you watch the pre-release materials, you'll see that the satellite dish was originally located on the beach. Also K-2SO is still alive at that point because you can see Alan Tudyk in his mocap suit running on the beach in the background.

Did they stop and change clothes back, or did they just never disguise themselves and the whole infiltration was different?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Can we all at least agree that the mind slug was weird as gently caress and had no consequence whatsoever towards accomplishing anything. Why in the hell was that sequence in the movie?

Yeah I can sign on board that sentiment. To me it was the PG-13 and more family friendly way to show a torture scene and hammer home how extreme Saw's methods are, and how extensive his paranoia is. It's not a flawless movie overall, but I never felt it get to a significant low point, and the highs are up there with or above anything we've seen in Star Wars.

I listen to a podcast called Star Wars Minute sometimes. Each episode has the hosts and a guest diving deep down into what goes on in one minute of a particular Star Wars movie, and when we got to Vader's big minute all I could think was goddamn if they ever get to Rogue One that's going to be one amazing podcast episode. That scene is absolutely my favorite minute of any Star Wars film for me right now, nothing else even comes close.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Can't wait to see how the rest of the season lined up with this movie. Kanaan and Ezra are either dead at this point or something happens shortly after.

I kinda figured Rebels would end with most of the cast biting it, but hey at least we know Hera and Chopper are still around. You do kinda have to imagine that Kanaan and Ezra are force dust, because otherwise they'd be there fighting Vader, cause they're probably the only Rebels anywhere that haven't died when they met him.

Spoiler in case you haven't watched the last episode of Rebels yet I can't wait to see what they do with Obi Wan. And goddamit make a solo movie with Ewan cause I just want to see more yay! Lucasfilm plz

I just love Star Wars

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That Pablo Hidalgo twitter is like a gold mine for insider information and Rebels. Holy poo poo.

E:

"The Long Game" .... they got so much poo poo planned out.

"Where Jedi go to die."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN07myXH08A

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

This kinda undercuts any significance RO has to the whole story, though, because it makes the Grand Weakness the dude installed in it... not really one. He didn't install any weakness into the reactor like everyone says, the dude took a ruler and made a little hole to the reactor. It kinda came off as weak, to me.

I was speaking of the second Death Star, which had an exposed reactor because the thing wasn't finished, and was saying that Death Star II did not "have the same weakness." The first Death Star was finished, and ANH still makes it clear how well-protected even the engineered weakness was (all but two pilots doing trench runs die trying to land the shot, and the one who nails it has to use space magic).

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Saul Goode posted:

Also, in terms of fitting to ANH... how does Tarkin go from deferring to "Lord" Vader to having him as a henchman?

These guys have been sort-of buds since the Clone Wars, certainly much tighter between themselves than anyone else in the Empire command. It's just a bit they do, like bad cop-worst cop, and keeps them closer to the Emperor than anyone else. In board room settings he'd defer to Tarkin, because he's got a more "official" rank within the command structure, but the reverse would happen when it comes to making violent threats on one's person.

hhhat posted:

I can't wait to see what they do with Obi Wan. And goddamit make a solo movie with Ewan cause I just want to see more yay! Lucasfilm plz

This is just making me ravenous for a Mandalore/Deathwatch movie.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

hhhat posted:

I kinda figured Rebels would end with most of the cast biting it, but hey at least we know Hera and Chopper are still around. You do kinda have to imagine that Kanaan and Ezra are force dust, because otherwise they'd be there fighting Vader, cause they're probably the only Rebels anywhere that haven't died when they met him.

I need to watch more Rebels, every bit I see of it looks super rad and I love them throwing in wild EU stuff alongside sensible EU stuff like Thrawn. I am curious what big tie-in they'll have to the original trilogy as a series finale, it seems sensible that most or even all of the characters would get involved in a heroic sacrifice to do something, but it can't be the Death Star plans since that's covered, and the only other big thing I can think of is getting intel on the second Death Star but then again none of them are Bothan spies. Maybe there will be some other big Imperial plan or weapon they can stop before it becomes a big deal, or something specifically force-related they can accomplish since they've got plenty of force users involved there

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
Haven't seen this yet because I truly hate going to theaters at this point, but it's really interesting to read the reactions to CGI Tarkin and Leia since I was really impressed with how Civil War managed to present a pretty convincing de-aged Downey for an extended sequence. Maybe they were accomplished in different ways, but I don't remember people having the same recoil in reaction to the latter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Haven't seen this yet because I truly hate going to theaters at this point, but it's really interesting to read the reactions to CGI Tarkin and Leia since I was really impressed with how Civil War managed to present a pretty convincing de-aged Downey for an extended sequence. Maybe they were accomplished in different ways, but I don't remember people having the same recoil in reaction to the latter.

Nah, everyone thought Civil War was amazing, but that was done using actual RDJ footage as the base and then effecting that into young RDJ.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Filthy Casual posted:

These guys have been sort-of buds since the Clone Wars, certainly much tighter between themselves than anyone else in the Empire command. It's just a bit they do, like bad cop-worst cop, and keeps them closer to the Emperor than anyone else. In board room settings he'd defer to Tarkin, because he's got a more "official" rank within the command structure, but the reverse would happen when it comes to making violent threats on one's person.

Yeah, I read the Tarkin novel and it makes it pretty clear that Tarkin is basically the only Imperial officer Vader respects, to the point that Tarkin comes right up to the point of saying "I know Anakin Skywalker is Vader" to Vader's face and he just kind of shrugs it off with a grunt. It helps that Tarkin's methodology is ruthless and lines up perfectly with how Palpatine and Vader want to govern.

There are decent chunks of the book that are just Tarkin and Vader teaming up to do radical stuff and it's like a fun evil buddy cop situation.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Maybe they were accomplished in different ways, but I don't remember people having the same recoil in reaction to the latter.

Don't mind the haters, its cutting edge stuff that still needs refinement, but was cool as hell that they did it.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I read the Tarkin novel and it makes it pretty clear that Tarkin is basically the only Imperial officer Vader respects, to the point that Tarkin comes right up to the point of saying "I know Anakin Skywalker is Vader" to Vader's face and he just kind of shrugs it off with a grunt. It helps that Tarkin's methodology is ruthless and lines up perfectly with how Palpatine and Vader want to govern.

There are decent chunks of the book that are just Tarkin and Vader teaming up to do radical stuff and it's like a fun evil buddy cop situation.

There's no way he wouldn't know, the quips are a dead giveaway. Except now Imperials mooks shake in terror, where Ashoka or Obi-Wan would have rolled their eyes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's mostly the eyes. They just cannot nail it no matter how good the skin looks. The dead eyes are an instant give-away.

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013
Found this comment on the Guardian:

quote:

Theo Annemann 5h ago

I worked on the film. The original script was truly brilliant -and I'm not a Star Wars fan.

Disney worried the original film could be considered to be pro-terrorist. That is why they ordered re-shoots of half of it.

If true that cements that Jyn was really supposed to be part of Saw's group and thus more of a "terrorist". A shame because that would've made it more interesting, right now they conveniently pick her up from a random labour camp so she has no past now.

Nielsen fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 17, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

It's mostly the eyes. They just cannot nail it no matter how good the skin looks. The dead eyes are an instant give-away.

Well you see it wasnt CGI, it was Cushings embalmed corpse

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if they might've gotten a better effect with an actor with a very similar face who was then modified into Tarkin. So the eyes, skin, etc could be real.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Nielsen posted:

If true that cements that Jyn was really supposed to be part of Saw's group and thus more of a "terrorist". A shame because that would've made it more interesting, right now they conveniently pick her up from a random labour camp so she has no past now.

No past? C'mon man.

Family killed/abducted at a young age, rises to the elite of Saw Gurerra's terrorists by 16, Saw ditches her because people were making connections to her family and also didn't want her going off the deep end like him. Then drifts for another 6 committing petty crimes. That's not nothin'

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

NowonSA posted:

I need to watch more Rebels, every bit I see of it looks super rad and I love them throwing in wild EU stuff alongside sensible EU stuff like Thrawn. I am curious what big tie-in they'll have to the original trilogy as a series finale, it seems sensible that most or even all of the characters would get involved in a heroic sacrifice to do something, but it can't be the Death Star plans since that's covered, and the only other big thing I can think of is getting intel on the second Death Star but then again none of them are Bothan spies. Maybe there will be some other big Imperial plan or weapon they can stop before it becomes a big deal, or something specifically force-related they can accomplish since they've got plenty of force users involved there

Speculative Rebels spoiler, also I guess Rogue One a little
At this point I kinda hope it ends with General Hera getting the call that the plans for the Empire's superweapon are in the process of being stolen and the Rebellion has entered into open war against the Empire, but she could have survived that battle (someone with a pause button will have to see if the Ghost goes into hyperspace on screen) and they could make R1 be an interstitial episode the same way Agents of SHEILD reacted to Captian America taking down Hydra in Winter Soldier. But on the other hand, since she's not in Eps 4 through 6 cause her character didn't exist in the 70s and 80s the way to make that work is to take her down in a blaze of glory. Either way come to think of it I'm good cause yay Star Wars! We could also do the super special editions featuring all new characters. That would be something awful WOMP WOMP

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013

Filthy Casual posted:

No past? C'mon man.

rises to the elite of Saw Gurerra's terrorists by 16, Saw ditches her because people were making connections to her family and also didn't want her going off the deep end like him. Then drifts for another 6 committing petty crimes. That's not nothin'

Yeah but this is so poorly handled, you never see any of that. So for all intents and purposes no past.

Just compare this to anything Rey does in TFA, she picks apart spaceships, she lives in a husk and trades scrap for food, they reinforce in every way her motivation of having a rough life but dreaming of another and still waiting for her parents through the scenes with the old lady scrubbing stuff, the helmet etc. I'm not saying TFA is genius or anything and I liked R1 but R1 has none of that stuff.

Nielsen fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 17, 2016

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Nielsen posted:

Yeah but this is so poorly handled, you never see any of that. So for all intents and purposes no past.

Its almost like this was a movie about stolen death star plans, and not a Jyn Erso biopic. This was all covered in the scenes between Jyn and Saw (with one inference from evidence of fatherly affection). I'd certainly enjoy a movie about younger Jyn in RebAl-Qaeda, but that is definitively not what Rogue One is or was ever pretending to be at any point.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't care about stolen Death Star plans, I care about the people who want to steal those plans. At least, I wanted to care. Instead it was just "here's the sequence of events as spurred on by flimsy emotional pretext".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Can we all at least agree that the mind slug was weird as gently caress and had no consequence whatsoever towards accomplishing anything. Why in the hell was that sequence in the movie?

I think it was just meant to show that the most extremist elements of the Rebellion can be as ruthless and barbaric as the Empire, even when it comes to people who are ostensibly on their side or trying to help them. I mean, how many times have we seen an Imperial torture chamber in Star Wars movies at this point? It's meant to be a counterpoint to that. That Bodhi lost his mind for all of 15 minutes kind of diminished the impact, but I don't think the scene was bad or out of place overall. The actor did a good job of showing him being a bit unstable and shaky in the rest of the film, so it worked out. I think it works with the overall theme of this particular movie that war is senseless and morally complicated to the point that even the good guys will do things that are evil, unless constantly pushed to reject the compromises of their enemies.

Overall I thought the movie was great, and I wish we could get more time with all the new characters (but am glad that we definitively will not). CGI Tarkin and Leia were noticeable, but not distracting or out of place to me.

Nielsen posted:

Found this comment on the Guardian:

It will probably never happen, but I would love to see a director's cut of R1 or even just a release of the original footage that got replaced by the reshoots. I think the film is great as it stands, but there was definitely a few spots where you can tell that they toned down the morally grey aspects of it in order to avoid offending anyone.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Looking back on it, I don't recall the majority of the Rogue One crew ever talking to each other.

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013

Filthy Casual posted:

Its almost like this was a movie about stolen death star plans

That doesn't matter in the slightest, a movie has to generate some kind of connection between you and the characters and it simply fails at that, I don't think there's any denying that most of the characters were pretty underused and I felt nothing until the robot died tbh.
Jyn is mostly an action hero with a penchant for weak speeches, whether that is the actress' fault or the script or the reshoots I don't know but it simply failed to engage me at all.

It's not a film about "the stolen death star plans" it's a film about the people who steal the death star plans and what they go through to get them. Stories are about people not stuff. I enjoy the spaceships a lot but the characters were not given enough room or anything interesting in this movie and that's a drat shame.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't care about stolen Death Star plans, I care about the people who want to steal those plans. At least, I wanted to care. Instead it was just "here's the sequence of events as spurred on by flimsy emotional pretext".

I couldn't possibly disagree more. I wanted to watch a cool rear end Star Wars space adventure and see a major event in Star Wars history get fleshed out more. The whole point of the movie is to tell a Star Wars story, not create new characters for you to get ~emotionally invested~ in. This is not a genre where you spend half the movie laboring over a character's life story

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Magnitogorsk. posted:

I couldn't possibly disagree more. I wanted to watch a cool rear end Star Wars space adventure and see a major event in Star Wars history get fleshed out more. The whole point of the movie is to tell a Star Wars story, not create new characters for you to get ~emotionally invested~ in. This is not a genre where you spend half the movie laboring over a character's life story

Why do I want to watch someone do something if I don't care about them? They don't even do it in a clever way. Everything is super perfunctory and straightforward.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Nielsen posted:

That doesn't matter in the slightest, a movie has to generate some kind of connection between you and the characters and it simply fails at that, I don't think there's any denying that most of the characters were pretty underused and I felt nothing until the robot died tbh.

So you admit to forming a connection with a character.

quote:

It's not a film about "the stolen death star plans" it's a film about the people who steal the death star plans and what they go through to get them. Stories are about people not stuff. I enjoy the spaceships a lot but the characters were not given enough room or anything interesting in this movie and that's a drat shame.

The movie was pretty clear about what they go through to get them, they murder and terrorize, due to the Empire pushing them to such desperate extremes. If you don't want to like the characters that's okay, but there's plenty of reasons to get behind them or be horrified by them.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Why do I want to watch someone do something if I don't care about them? They don't even do it in a clever way. Everything is super perfunctory and straightforward.

Because you are interested in the thing they are doing. I don't watch sports because I give a poo poo about the individual athletes. I don't watch a WW2 documentary because I care about the soldiers' hobbies and life aspirations

I mean, can you honestly tell me you care deeply about the Indiana Jones character in Raiders? No, he's a cool dude doing cool entertaining poo poo in a larger than life adventure setting

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rogue One was Rogue Fun.

That's my review.

Sorry so many of you lack the ability to sense the will of the Force.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Because you are interested in the thing they are doing. I don't watch sports because I give a poo poo about the individual athletes. I don't watch a WW2 documentary because I care about the soldiers' hobbies and life aspirations

I mean, can you honestly tell me you care deeply about the Indiana Jones character in Raiders? No, he's a cool dude doing cool entertaining poo poo in a larger than life adventure setting

What? Indiana Jones is one of the most engaging characters ever, and the movies spend huge amounts of time filling out his personality. That's a horrible example for you to pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Magnitogorsk. posted:

And they even did spend like the whole first act doing just that. I agree: the character development is subservient to the fleshing out of the chronology. But again I feel like we got both anyway.

I'm seeing a lot of 6,7, and 8 out of 10s. I personally give it a 9/10, falling short of 10 because of the inconsequence of the slug mind reader thing and the entire Eadu sequence. (Although I loved how the crash landing looked exactly like Luke's first landing at Dagobah.) I feel like they coulda just put that whole Mads confrontation and death sequence on Scarif and kept the number of planets down.

How many planets were featured in this movie anyway?

The planet with Mads' farm
Asteroid Trading post
Jedha
Eadu
Scarif
Yavin IV

The OT movies almost exclusively limited themselves to three environments per movie.

ANH:
Tatooine
Death Star I (interior earlier, exterior later)
Yavin IV

ESB:
Hoth (and its asteroids)
Dagobah
Bespin

ROTJ:
Tatooine
Death Star II inside and out
Endor
(Briefly Dagobah too I guess for Yoda's character arc across all 6 films, so I'll forgive it)

• Locked thread