Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

I've tried playing TerraFirmaCraft a few times, but usually run into the issue of having nobody to play it with and hating the solo grind. On the plus side I'm pretty efficient at making a starting house. The one I use is this guy's:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/...rafirmacrafter/

Makes for a really nice looking, well-protected house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Man that looks pretty. And the TFC I was trying was TerraFirmaCraft Reloaded on Curse. It's got a ton of included mods that make for very pretty, immersive landscapes if nothing else.

Edit: I went back to finish off Regrowth and discovered something odd. Normally the config of the pack has you drowning within seconds without a Mariculture snorkel/diving suit, but I got Respiration III on my Elementium helm. With this on, the air gauge goes down in seconds like normal but then.. nothing happens. Ever. I let myself sit idle underwater for a while just to see if I'd start drowning but nope.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 12, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Man that looks pretty. And the TFC I was trying was TerraFirmaCraft Reloaded on Curse. It's got a ton of included mods that make for very pretty, immersive landscapes if nothing else.

Edit: I went back to finish off Regrowth and discovered something odd. Normally the config of the pack has you drowning within seconds without a Mariculture snorkel/diving suit, but I got Respiration III on my Elementium helm. With this on, the air gauge goes down in seconds like normal but then.. nothing happens. Ever. I let myself sit idle underwater for a while just to see if I'd start drowning but nope.

Im pretty sure that if you have botania water ring it happens too 9or maybe in the release before last) bubbles drop to 0, but no hp loss (this is with even having a mana tablet in inventory let alone a full one)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Ok i have a TFC server running on my machine and a decent connection to keep it running.

default port remote IP address is 127.0.0.1

:)

only kidding, I am not that green...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm very glad I got over the initial hump of TerrafirmaCraft, because it's actually really fun. Starting off with almost no building materials that don't collapse into piles, facing off against monsters with 1200 health, sure put a damper on my expectations, but sticking with it was worthwhile. As a result I spent a long weekend diving in and wrote up this awful over-long post. :words: ahead.

For those looking to try it, I have two big recommendations:
Teagan's Guide to TerrafirmaCraft on Curse
and TechnodeFirmaCraft on AT Launcher

Both packs offer quests (Better Questing for Teagan's Guide, HQM for Technode) to guide you through the game's fundamental progression. I found Teagan's to be a little more finnicky (only accepting one type of stone for one of the rewards was something I had to cheat in NEI to overcome) but both do a good job of orienting you to the basics of the game and the progress from Stone to Bronze to Iron. Having a questline to guide helps a lot when it comes to getting your bearings.

Teagan's Guide is a pretty well fleshed out pack, boasting most of the TFC add-on mods, and a few late-game tech mods. I found it pretty open and appealing.
Technode has more mods heaped in, and offers a few tech alternatives as you climb the tech tree, carefully gated so as to avoid messing with TFC's progression. This is the one I ended up sticking with so this is the one I'll be reporting on.

:siren: First and foremost, if you try Technode you'll want to tweak the mods first.
* Turn off Plant Mega Pack. It throws lots of useless vegetation everywhere, which, while pretty, became very distracting and confusing for a first pass. Most especially I kept looking for seaweed and finding the mod's (functionless, non-edible) added kelps instead. When turning this off you'll also want to remove PlantMegaPack.zs in the Scripts folder, and remove every line starting with "plantmegapack" from boxblacklist.txt which is in config/mekanism (lines 36-389). This is one of the only mods I cut out, along with the "Merchants" add-on (which is multiplayer-economy focused).
* I recommend turning off cave-ins entirely in the Terrafirmacraft config -- they're just a pain. At the least you should make it so cave-ins don't destroy ore, which is the default. You'll also want to change the year length near the bottom of the config. I set mine to minimum year length, 96 days, since 360 is insane and more for an always-on server. Shorter years means quicker plant growth, shorter animal pregnancies and maturities, etc. You can turn off food decay if you want, but personally I liked coming up with preservation solutions.
* I'd recommend grabbing a few mods, which will be listed at the bottom of this post.
* I'd really recommend changing ore rarity and possibly adding custom recipes, also at the bottom.
* I also strongly recommend some kind of fast travel/teleport mod, but since I couldn't find one that wasn't buggy, I just set an internal cost and got command blocks to set up teleport stations. Distances in TFC are huge. Boating 20 minutes across empty open ocean desperately trying to find a new stone layer you can get flux from sucks. Once you finally make landfall you won't want to make that trip again. Ever.
* For first time players I really recommend turning down the speed at which items cool down. Having to constantly stick batches of ingots back in the forge to bring their temperature back up is a pain and temperature drops fast in normal TFC. Even if you're not new, 0.5x cooldown speed is pretty reasonable, and by default Teagan's pack has it at 0.1x. I personally went with 0.3x and even then large batches were very hard to work with. Bear in mind that if you want something cooled down, items get cooler faster in chests/containers, and hot ingots and parts can be quenched in a vessel or barrel of fresh water to cool down almost instantly.
* Turn on keepInventory or you'll probably never want to play again.

Like I posted last time, keep the wiki and the starting guide open, get thatch and mud bricks as early building materials, take things slow. TFC is worth getting your bearings for.
The basics are all there and despite the plethora of mods, early progression isn't changed. Forestry is in there but I can't really figure out why, since the tree farms don't work and nothing seems particularly worth it, moreso now than ever. On the other hand, Immersive Engineering and Railcraft do offer gated tech that can make life a lot easier. For instance, the first real big tech leap you might get is the Railcraft Coke Oven, which will convert logs to charcoal at the max efficiency of 2 logs to make 1 charcoal (standard TFC takes between 2-4 logs per charcoal), and makes creosote oil, but is very slow. A great goal to shoot for is the Railcraft Blast Furnace, which is locked behind mid-steel production, but makes the creation of steel much simpler. It's not a whole lot quicker and it's only a tiny bit cheaper, but it's worth investing the resources in because it doesn't require so much constant monitoring. Eventually you can even work up to the Steel Furnace, which basically acts like a regular Minecraft furnace and can turn wood to charcoal (again, at 2:1) at a very quick rate, albeit with no creosote, and requiring a bit of loss to fuel the furnace itself. It can also turn low-smelt ore (anything up to iron) directly into ingots.
Eventually you can work up to expensive, electric-powered tech like the rolling machine, which can weld and press cold metal (e.g. combine double ingots, press sheets or double sheets with flux), which can be really handy if you don't like sitting around in the forge for too long. The rock crusher is an expensive late-game machine that gives about 150% ore returns, finally increasing yields, and can act as an automatic quern for recipes as well as letting you easily make alloys -- rather than awkwardly combining ores of various qualities and trying to hit a specific ratio, you can just combine crafted recipes of dusts.
Actually, another alloying tip: in TechnodeFirmaCraft, you can craft a chisel with a finished ingot to make 10 nuggets, each worth 10 units, allowing for very precise alloy creation.

I really can't recommend Technode enough. There are hundreds of custom recipes, edited crafts, all sorts of rebalances, progress gates, and compatibility tweaks. Most machines and tech are gated by requiring a certain level of metal chisel and/or hammer, saw, some need plates of specific metals, etc. You can unlock Jabba barrels pretty early on, then later wooden lockers (which can fit ANY item, even bulky ones like logs) and storage drawers for large quantities. Almost all the machines are designed around Quality of Life rather than increased power, because even at the level of finally getting the rock crusher your ore returns only increase by 50% rather than 100%, and it requires a lot of energy to run. Very, very late, when you've got blue/red steel tools, you unlock Mekanism, which is endgame/postgame stuff, at that point. You can double yours ores for a huge energy investment, or even triple them -- but that will require an arc furnace to process aluminum to make electrolytic separators to produce oxygen gas, and from there there's even more refining steps.

Unlike Gregtech, every tech-up has felt like a tangible improvement, and the expenses seem worth the investments, not just arbitrary "okay you're at the next level" milestones. Almost everything is a matter of convenience, and the arc furnace eventually becomes the pinnacle of that: once you get that, you'll be able to create red and blue steel ingots with no alloying whatsoever. Just grind up the ores, combine the dusts, smelt them solid in the arc furnace and process them in the blast furnace. Eventually you'll only need the forge for the finished products themselves, armor and tool heads.

Honestly, so far, my biggest problem with TFC as a whole is the ore distribution, which I hated in Gregtech, too. Finding a good vein is incredible, because you'll be set for a while. A dense deposit of copper ore can keep a single player for the entire game. And for most metals, this isn't really a problem. What IS a problem is that while metal deposits like copper, gold, and nickel will give lots of indications of their presence, non-metal deposits have no surface nuggets. And when you have to find really rare deposits, it's basically a crapshoot. I genuinely don't understand what you're supposed to do in most situations -- just dig down to bedrock every few chunks and sample on your way down? The prospector's pick has a pitifully short range, so you could walk right over a deposit and never know, or it could be 100+ blocks down and impossible to detect. Add in that certain minerals only spawn in a single rock type, which you may never find (rock layers can go on for thousands of blocks in all directions) and you could go through your whole game and just never find, say, graphite, which you need to create alloys. It's so bad there are plenty of posts on the TFC forums of "how the hell do I find graphite I'm in my fourth year and I've searched everywhere".
I have no idea how I'd fix this, honestly. Make all deposits create surface nuggets to reveal their general area, maybe? Graphite traces on the surface would make this a lot easier.

In practice, what I did (and what I recommend you do) is edit the TFCOre.cfg in the config folder and make ores more common. I greatly downed the rarity on most nonmetal deposits (and a few metal ones) and increased maximum spawn height to 200 so that you might find them in outcroppings and cliff faces. I strongly recommend increasing the rock types that ores can spawn in, too. Anything that specified only certain rock types I instead changed to categories, e.g. "marble" became "sedimentary". I've got most ores spawning in at least 2 of the 4 stone layer types and honestly I wonder if I shouldn't have just set them all to spawn in every layer. TFC offers a lot of challenges I enjoy overcoming and some that are just a loving chore, and I never had any fun trying to blindly find the needle in the haystack that would let me progress.

:woop: Here are some fun mods you may want to throw in:
Udary Mod: A set of very useful new features, and probably my favorite single addon. Adds a drying mat to dry and preserve fruit and vegetables, an evaporation pan to get salt out of large quantities of salt water, a heavy duty capture bag to transport animals long distances at a cost, an alloy calculator to work out exactly how to create how much of a specific alloy, and a few special metal extractions. Also adds a few quality of life things, like crafting lumber into sticks (for when you want a lot of ladders, which will be often).
TFC Cellars: Iceboxed, insulated cellars for food storage. Consumes ice to keep food cold and decay more slowly. Works well with other preservation methods and stores food more conveniently than having to take it out of vessels every time you want to access it.
TFC Scales: Smith a set of metal weights and a balance scale, and divide food precisely without removing decay. Ideal for alcohol, vinegar, and anything else that needs exact amounts of food for maximum efficiency.
TFC Pewter: Early game convenience. Pewter alloy can be made into plates for salads and jugs for water, neither of which will ever break. Dirty dishes need to be washed, but it's way better than having to fire new pottery every time.
TFC Kiln: A relatively early (needs fire clay) pottery kiln to finally replace those pit kilns you'll be tired of by now. 4 logs will fire 8 pottery items, 4x as efficient as a pit kiln! Technode eventually lets you fire pottery in the steel furnace even faster and easier, but it's a long way to get there and you'll want this in the meantime, with or without late tech.

Lastly, a couple custom recipes I added to the scripts folder: plop these in a text file, rename from .txt to .zs, and enjoy.
Grind charcoal as a substitute for graphite:
code:
mods.Terrafirmacraft.Quern.addRecipe(<terrafirmacraft:item.Powder:2> * 4, <terrafirmacraft:item.coal:1>);
(You'll still want a graphite deposit, probably because you'll have to make a LOT of charcoal to replace it otherwise. This is more of a stopgap till then, mostly for getting the crucible. Graphite is much harder to find than Kaolinite, especially if you haven't tweaked ores like I suggested)
Technode lets you break gems into 2x of the lower quality, and if you like, here's a script that will let you recombine them back into a higher quality, diablo-style:
http://pastebin.com/au5QcqSE

Apologies for the super long post, but I did promise a trip report and I wanted to address people who, like me, may not have considered or even initially dismissed TFC, and between this and my earlier efforts playing that big Gregtech modpack I realized that it's me, I'm the :spergin:.
In summary: TFC is fun, TechnodeFirmaCraft is an interesting quality-of-life focused tech-mod expansion around the concept with a whole lot of work put into it to make it smoothly compatible and not interfere with the primitive magic of TFC itself. Both are an indescribably huge departure from vanilla Minecraft. I highly recommend one of the above two (questing-included) modpacks.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Would you be up for throwing your modified Technode on Technic?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

Would you be up for throwing your modified Technode on Technic?

Seconded. I'd like to nibble on it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

A thing to help in TFC: http://infinitepossibilitygames.com/TFCAlloyCalc/ an alloy calculator for the casting age.

A trick for managing heat while working metal: the forge, without working a bellows, can't raise the temperature of iron and post-iron alloys to its melting point. As long as the forge has fuel, you can leave the bars in there basically forever, and only weld/work what you need to work at one time. Towards the end of my last TFC game, I was juggling the operation of a blast furnace and heating/welding stuff for red steel simultaneously by abusing this fact.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
It sounds like a ton of work to set up a good configuration for it yourself. I'd definitely be up for trying a properly configured server though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I'd be glad to put up my custom pack, but I don't have any means of hosting it. Just give me some time to make it presentable and retrospectively tweak some options I would have done differently.
Fair warning in advance this pack is going to be erring on the side of generous (larger, more common, richer ore veins, no cave-ins, items stay hot longer, etc) as the default. Options can be tweaked, of course, but it's certainly more easy than standard TFC as a result.

I'm actually working on tweaking the HQM questlines to add a bunch of tips/guidance on blocks and progression the default quest doesn't mention, mostly side add-ons like the mods I mentioned above, and late/endgame content like heavy machines. I'll also add on to the In-Game Wiki tips/notes where possible. I want this pack to be fun and accessible without losing the charm of TFC's conversion, or interfering with its established progression.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016
After 5 months I finally updated the Warhammer 40k HQM pack that I've been working on. I took into account all the suggestions I was given here, and I added a lot of other stuff on top of that, including an RPG system modeled around Fallouts, with SPECIAL stats, levels, skills, perks, and so on. I wound up changing recipes a lot after adding thermal expansion, and managed to eliminate 20 some parts from crafting chains, generally making recipes a lot less of a headache. I've worked very hard to make IC2 more user friendly, including adding tooltips, removing onerous wrench bullshit, and massively buffing energy output to be on par with TE. The story has developed well, and I'm currently working on act 4. I also managed to fix a lot of issues and change some mods to be more suited to the setting. I actually managed to add an NPC settler and army system, where you can make your own towns with settlers, merchants, and guards or raise armies to follow you around and fight for you.

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/wh40k-blood-iron-pack.558927 is the pack, and I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Blightfall, Fallout and of course 40k have been a big inspiration, so if you like those you might like this pack. http://imgur.com/a/nWLad is the album I've put together for it, if you wanted to see some pictures.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I'd be glad to put up my custom pack, but I don't have any means of hosting it. Just give me some time to make it presentable and retrospectively tweak some options I would have done differently.
Fair warning in advance this pack is going to be erring on the side of generous (larger, more common, richer ore veins, no cave-ins, items stay hot longer, etc) as the default. Options can be tweaked, of course, but it's certainly more easy than standard TFC as a result.

I'm actually working on tweaking the HQM questlines to add a bunch of tips/guidance on blocks and progression the default quest doesn't mention, mostly side add-ons like the mods I mentioned above, and late/endgame content like heavy machines. I'll also add on to the In-Game Wiki tips/notes where possible. I want this pack to be fun and accessible without losing the charm of TFC's conversion, or interfering with its established progression.

Man that's cool. I am interested in this. TFC seems like an interesting experience but jesus christ is it daunting to just be dropped into. And I'd prefer to check a wiki to find out information on things I want more information on, not as a step-by-step instruction on how to play the mod that I need to follow at all times or gently caress up irreparably.

Also I'm kinda impressed by just how interdependent Regrowth's creator made the pack's mods, as I reach endgame. Sure it's exasperating using products of Forestry, Railcraft, Buildcraft, Garden Stuff and Mariculture (And Thaumcraft once I make an Infernal Blast Furnace) to make basic Mekanism parts, but it's still impressive. Also, never heard of AcademyCraft before now. Everything in it looks real pretty.

Never heard of Titan or Kappa modes. It's been a long while since I've looked at Ozone 2 but I just remember that the last time I did, the pack creator had given Chance Icosahedrons a really high chance of spawning some sort of neutron bomb that destroyed everything in a 1k block area or so. And loving everything gave you chance cubes/icosahedrons despite them being 90% useless/trolls.
VVVV

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 15, 2016

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Black Pants posted:

Man that's cool. I am interested in this. TFC seems like an interesting experience but jesus christ is it daunting to just be dropped into. And I'd prefer to check a wiki to find out information on things I want more information on, not as a step-by-step instruction on how to play the mod that I need to follow at all times or gently caress up irreparably.

Also I'm kinda impressed by just how interdependent Regrowth's creator made the pack's mods, as I reach endgame. Sure it's exasperating using products of Forestry, Railcraft, Buildcraft, Garden Stuff and Mariculture (And Thaumcraft once I make an Infernal Blast Furnace) to make basic Mekanism parts, but it's still impressive. Also, never heard of AcademyCraft before now. Everything in it looks real pretty.

Project Ozone 2 titan mode has a similar level of interdependency, and Kappa has even more. Despite myself, I'm actually enjoying Kappa Mode a fair amount - at first glance it looks like it has gregtech level turbogrind just for the hell of it, but it simultaneously creates shortcuts around them and has various shortcuts to skip past progression walls. I mean even the fact that you only get one plank per log is trivial - he's turned up the mod that makes crouching bonemeal trees to like 20x the normal speed - i can just plant an 8x8 square of saplings and mash shift a few times and then i'll have like an 8x8x8 cube of wood that I can then veinmine with a bare fist instantly and repeat. And once you manage to get a nether portal, suddenly sieving becomes secondary extremely fast - nether ore spawn rates are so high that you could get a stack or two of diamonds in 20 minutes of poking around in the nether. So it's a weird combination of extremely high material costs and lots of ways to get those materials.

It's probably the most enjoyable skyblock I've messed with, for sure.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

mensrea posted:

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/wh40k-blood-iron-pack.558927 is the pack, and I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Blightfall, Fallout and of course 40k have been a big inspiration, so if you like those you might like this pack. http://imgur.com/a/nWLad is the album I've put together for it, if you wanted to see some pictures.

Looks interesting enough, ill dip my toe in sometime.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mensrea posted:

After 5 months I finally updated the Warhammer 40k HQM pack that I've been working on. I took into account all the suggestions I was given here, and I added a lot of other stuff on top of that, including an RPG system modeled around Fallouts, with SPECIAL stats, levels, skills, perks, and so on. I wound up changing recipes a lot after adding thermal expansion, and managed to eliminate 20 some parts from crafting chains, generally making recipes a lot less of a headache. I've worked very hard to make IC2 more user friendly, including adding tooltips, removing onerous wrench bullshit, and massively buffing energy output to be on par with TE. The story has developed well, and I'm currently working on act 4. I also managed to fix a lot of issues and change some mods to be more suited to the setting. I actually managed to add an NPC settler and army system, where you can make your own towns with settlers, merchants, and guards or raise armies to follow you around and fight for you.

Oh awesome I might pick that up again then

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Progress report: TechnodefirmaCraft has 45 quests, my updated questline has 109. They're not finished yet, mostly just placed and shelled but not fully tasked/written up, but I think I've covered everything I want to.

My only final hesitation is I'm not sure if I should add some additional way to get certain resources. Sheep (for wool), cows (for dairy), and jute (for rope) are basically all things you either have or you don't -- once you find it you're basically set forever, but finding it can take ages. I've been bingeing on my singleplayer world and have sailed many kilometers across open ocean still haven't found cows, for instance. But I'm worried just giving out a free sheep or cow might be too generous. It's a crapshoot, because again, it's something you either have or you don't, so there's not much way to meet the player halfway here. Jute's a little different because a single bag of seeds could lead to a full supply over time but would be much more slow going than finding a bunch in the wild, but animals I can't really compromise.
Either way I should have the new reformed pack done within in a few days if all goes well.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Perhaps gate it behind proving you are able to farm sufficiently to support animals? A one time donation of the animal's food of choice to get a few of them for breeding?

I guess there could be a tool check too for the kind of things you'd need to find, leash and house them. "Looks like you have both the food and the building materials set aside for your next endeavor, ranching!"

Of course, if you're lucky enough to find wild animals, you wont need to do this (and save resources as such) and instead can have a related reward structure of bringing them home and working them too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's a really good idea. I can make an optional path -- one where you return sheep's wool to prove you have one, and get a sizeable reward for it, and one where you expend necessary resources and get a sheep in return. You can only complete one, so you can basically 'hold out' to find a sheep and get the bonus for it, or eventually give in and just take the free sheep at a cost. Probably same sort of thing with cows and jute, even.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that 40k mod makes me wish there was a survival/adventure mod a la blightfall that's entirely based on doom and revolves around a marine/whatever that gets stranded on a half hell-hosed landscape dotted with bases and poo poo that they have to work their way through to do something or other

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

Progress report: TechnodefirmaCraft has 45 quests, my updated questline has 109. They're not finished yet, mostly just placed and shelled but not fully tasked/written up, but I think I've covered everything I want to.
Hello, Baby's First Cave Race modpack author. It starts out with 50 quests and ends with over 300 of them and a tutorial dimension.

quote:

My only final hesitation is I'm not sure if I should add some additional way to get certain resources. Sheep (for wool), cows (for dairy), and jute (for rope) are basically all things you either have or you don't -- once you find it you're basically set forever, but finding it can take ages. I've been bingeing on my singleplayer world and have sailed many kilometers across open ocean still haven't found cows, for instance. But I'm worried just giving out a free sheep or cow might be too generous. It's a crapshoot, because again, it's something you either have or you don't, so there's not much way to meet the player halfway here. Jute's a little different because a single bag of seeds could lead to a full supply over time but would be much more slow going than finding a bunch in the wild, but animals I can't really compromise.
Either way I should have the new reformed pack done within in a few days if all goes well.

You put NPCs in the tutorial dimension that will trade for them. :colbert:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hello, Baby's First Cave Race modpack author. It starts out with 50 quests and ends with over 300 of them and a tutorial dimension.
Believe me I know, you mention it in every post you make.

That solution does not really help me but I've already got it figured out I think.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

Believe me I know, you mention it in every post you make.

That solution does not really help me but I've already got it figured out I think.

Ahem--every other post.

And now for something constructive! One big issue I found with TFC that we probably have in common is the arbitrariness of the world. Finding cows is barely scratching the surface. I started 5 worlds over the past few days just to dally in the first few nights. Twice I started in clayless, treeless deserts. Then it put me in an overgrown jungle where mobs spawned everywhere during the day. The last one looked okay except for the total lack of food.

Like others have indicated, I can imagine it working a little better in multiplayer with people going in all directions, but a desert spawn is just a raw deal. I think one of them was a desert island!

The other issue is getting through the first night. I tend to hull myself in to a semi-dug hole with a log roof with possibly some pottery going--but usually not. There is about 5 minutes of prepping tools for the next day before waiting another 15 minutes for the sun to come around. Or I just cheat in a bed. If you can mitigate some of that arbitrariness then you are golden.

My first thought would have been to start the player with some odd food and some saplings. If you made clay more common then the clay issue is solved too.

As for cows, I thought I saw a mod to make hauling animals long distances in TFC more bearable. Was that in your pack? If they can be brought back when they are found then going over a kilometer to find them is less of a fuss. They would show up on the Journeymap radar anyways. That assumes you are using that one. Do the others handle teleporting to waypoints these days?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Oh awesome I might pick that up again then

OK so the Special and skill stuff is really cool but possibly a bit overwhelming for those not steeped in 40k, Fallout and HQM quests, but the action point system seems a great idea to cater to all possible playstyles.

Peaceful as default is a little weird though. I know I bitched about nighttimes with previous version, but this goes too far the other way!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

mensrea posted:

Just installed and liking it so far except for the gun mod. Controls seem to be hardcoded so every time i jump (rt click) I shoot.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OgNar posted:

Just installed and liking it so far except for the gun mod. Controls seem to be hardcoded so every time i jump (rt click) I shoot.

I mean, it's pretty safe to assume that for most people right click is block/use/offhand.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sure, but having it hardcoded is stupid. I use TAB for inventory open/close, and if a mod hardcoded something to E assuming it was open inventory I'd be pissed too.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hey, little gripe with the 40k modpack - putting points into Engineering 0-50 actually levels Survival instead.

Engineering 51+ and 51+ Bonus have the right skill assigned though

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also, what mod is it that starts playing extremely unfunny christmas carols like "satan claws" and "salty tree" seemingly at random? i would like to turn them off, and also to castrate the mod author with a pair of secateurs

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
If people are still planning on setting up a multiplayer TFC server I'd be up for it.

Although last time I played one, we went from scrounging food to piles of red steel ingots by the time I woke up the next morning and everyone left.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
The Nameless Pack for 1.10 just had its first public release - it's what JonBams has been building. It's only on the AT Launcher right now, though. It's a bit of a kitchen sink pack - the main conceit seems to be that ores aren't very plentiful via oregen, and you're expected to farm them from enemies (e.g. zombies drop iron ore now).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Black Pants posted:

I mean, it's pretty safe to assume that for most people right click is block/use/offhand.

Right click has been jump for me and many people since Quake came out and most games that followed copied the control scheme.
Except for Minecraft.

Also I had to restart wh40k because I was looking through the book and stupidly clicked Luck again. Oops in the negative.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 17, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

OgNar posted:

Right click has been jump for me and many people since Quake came out and most games that followed copied the control scheme.
Except for Minecraft.

Also I had to restart wh40k because I was looking through the book and stupidly clicked Luck again. Oops in the negative.

i can't think of a single game where rmb defaults to jump

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

President Ark posted:

i can't think of a single game where rmb defaults to jump

Well either way, hardcoding a key in a game that lets you change keys is generally considered retarded. And from searching how to change the key for the mod it seems I wasn't the only person complaining.

But no matter. I am really enjoying Blood and Iron so far.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

WH 40K Modpack trip report: Playing on anything but peaceful is impossible, as mobs stand around doing nothing and attacks do nothing until they all do all at once, but no other lag or rubberbanding occurs. just with mobs.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I might try the Nameless pack but

my son has been watching the playthroughs of the story mode and then the mods for the wither storm.

Is there a generic/basic pack that already has that added in or am i going to have to find the files and do it old style?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Are there any 1.10.2 mods that allow moving of fluids in the world (other than Mekanism)?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Immersive engineering does

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Not really sure if this is the best thread for this question but I have decided to try my hand at some normal vanilla minecraft again, its been a while. I have a beefy computer, 16 Gig Ram and a quad at 4.0 but about 5 seconds after loading into a world I drop down to less than a frame a second. After uninstalling and reinstalling minecraft and java the problem is still there. Anyone heard of this?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Knifegrab posted:

Not really sure if this is the best thread for this question but I have decided to try my hand at some normal vanilla minecraft again, its been a while. I have a beefy computer, 16 Gig Ram and a quad at 4.0 but about 5 seconds after loading into a world I drop down to less than a frame a second. After uninstalling and reinstalling minecraft and java the problem is still there. Anyone heard of this?

Are you running 32-bit Java?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can someone give me the coordinates for the admech bunker in blood and iron because i've lost them

also there's still the weird issue where the Build A Spaceship quest asks for navigation relays and warp beacons that are the opposite colour - and thus presumably different items - than some of the ones you can find dotted around the world.