Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Can you guys de-stupid me on headphones? I know I like full-sized headphones, but apart from that, my problem is that I don't know what I want, I just know what sounds good to me. So unless I can go into a big box store and try the headphones out (and their demo stations work), I'm flying blind. Luckily I have examples of headphones I like and I didn't like.

Sony MDR-V55: I like these. To me, the sound on these is perfect, it's just like having a nice pair of speakers playing the music, and they're comfy. I tried these out in a Best Buy, they were the best sounding headphones in the store as far as I was concerned.

Sennheiser PC 350 Special Edition 2015: I hate these. I got them blind off Amazon and they had great reviews and I was misled. The sound is tinny and weak and soft. If I crank the bass up to max on the equalizer and then turn the volume way up, they're almost tolerable. Almost; I can tell that the volume is too high and it distorts everything because all the treble stuff is being stressed out at being made way too loud and the whole thing is ugly and bad. I look at them now and I'm full of regret.

Is that enough to tell me how my tastes run? And if it is, can you tell me what sort of stuff I should be shopping for so that I can actually go online and shop outside of Best Buy's meager in-store selection ever again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I've read the last few pages and while it seems like the Senn 598c seem to be the best bang for your buck at the moment but my need is a bit specific. I remember my old, now lost, Sennheiser HD555s were extremely comfortable and sounded great...probably my favorite pair headphones I've ever owned but I remember they leaked audio like crazy. Which wasn't a problem then.

Now I travel for a living, usually 2 or 4 10-15 hour flights a month so I need something that isn't crazy expensive but will drown out the hum of jet engines completely along with not annoying the person sitting next to me either on the plane or in an airport.

I haven't stayed up the latest trends but according to the OP noise cancelling is just a fancy feature to jack up prices but then goes on to make a case for exactly the situation I'll be using them in, but said OP was also written in 2013. My other requirement is comfort. The HD555s I had were amazing. I assume Sennheiser has only improved on that since then.

Please help me replace my $40 ear buds that fill my ears with wax and pain after 10 hours.

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 15, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
ANC is no longer a fad, and it's built for exactly what you're talking about. What's your budget?

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ANC is no longer a fad, and it's built for exactly what you're talking about. What's your budget?

$150-200

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Since the CB-1's were brought up a few days ago they just posted a code on their site for 20% all headphones. Makes the headphones $63.20.

HOLIDAY20

$67.19 with shipping no tax to CA.

Easy buy at that price.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
My Xiaomi Piston 3's are starting to crap out, so

What's a good set of IEM's for $30 bucks or so? I don't like harsh treble or a lot of sibilance, and volume controls would be great.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Budget - ~$100 (or less)
Source - Computer, 3.5mm mini jack
Isolation Requirements - useful, but not necessary
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. These will mainly be used for movie editing and watching movies.

I read the Headphone Buying Guide in the OP but I'm not sure how up to date it is. The Sony MDR-V6/7506 seems right up my alley in terms of portability and comfort but I wanted to know if there's been a better version since released or a higher quality version for a few bucks more.

Edit: Also, Closed preferrably

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 16, 2016

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Budget - ~$100 (or less)
Source - Computer, 3.5mm mini jack
Isolation Requirements - useful, but not necessary
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. These will mainly be used for movie editing and watching movies.

I read the Headphone Buying Guide in the OP but I'm not sure how up to date it is. The Sony MDR-V6/7506 seems right up my alley in terms of portability and comfort but I wanted to know if there's been a better version since released or a higher quality version for a few bucks more.

You should mention if you'd like open or closed ones, that'll probably drive a lot of suggestions

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Thirst Mutilator posted:

You should mention if you'd like open or closed ones, that'll probably drive a lot of suggestions

Okay thanks. In that case, I'd prefer closed

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Can you guys de-stupid me on headphones? I know I like full-sized headphones, but apart from that, my problem is that I don't know what I want, I just know what sounds good to me. So unless I can go into a big box store and try the headphones out (and their demo stations work), I'm flying blind. Luckily I have examples of headphones I like and I didn't like.

Sony MDR-V55: I like these. To me, the sound on these is perfect, it's just like having a nice pair of speakers playing the music, and they're comfy. I tried these out in a Best Buy, they were the best sounding headphones in the store as far as I was concerned.

Sennheiser PC 350 Special Edition 2015: I hate these. I got them blind off Amazon and they had great reviews and I was misled. The sound is tinny and weak and soft. If I crank the bass up to max on the equalizer and then turn the volume way up, they're almost tolerable. Almost; I can tell that the volume is too high and it distorts everything because all the treble stuff is being stressed out at being made way too loud and the whole thing is ugly and bad. I look at them now and I'm full of regret.

Is that enough to tell me how my tastes run? And if it is, can you tell me what sort of stuff I should be shopping for so that I can actually go online and shop outside of Best Buy's meager in-store selection ever again?

I notice that the PC 350 apparently have an impedance of 150 ohm which is weirdly high for a gaming headset. That means they want more power than most headphones, which probably at least partially explains why they sound really weak/soft coming out of your computer. You could try buying a cheap USB amp or something, but that might cause issues with the mic.

If you get a new headset try to check the specs and look for a number more like "60 ohms" or lower

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

secret volcano lair posted:

If you get a new headset try to check the specs and look for a number more like "60 ohms" or lower
Thank you! Are there any other spec things that suggest themselves as something I should look for? Something that indicates why the MDR-V55s sound so good to me, so I can look for similars?

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Thank you! Are there any other spec things that suggest themselves as something I should look for? Something that indicates why the MDR-V55s sound so good to me, so I can look for similars?

It looks like those headphones emphasize powerful bass. Try looking for reviews for "basshead" headphones and then narrow down by your price range. Lots of people like the ATH-M50x and V-Moda M-100.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

For wireless, The Parrot Zik 2.0 are right around there. I haven't tried 'em but they have a pretty strong following.

Wired, I would look for a used pair of Bose QC25's.

Also, this may seem like an out-there suggestion, but the Sennheiser HD25 has the best passive isolation I've ever tried. They're on-ear, and super industrial looking, but they're my favorite portables.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CapnAndy posted:

If you like the V55s why don't you just get them? Otherwise look for headphones with a "V-shaped" sound signature ie. Boosted bass and treble.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

grack posted:

If you like the V55s why don't you just get them?
I did! I'm wearing them right now, actually, they are my work headphones. I'm learning why I like them so that I can buy other headphones in the future without getting something I'm going to end up hating, I want to be a smart shopper.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Just unboxed the Sennheiser HD6XX. Only thing I can compare them to are HD598s.

I'm not disappointed in the purchase. I'm noticing improvement when listening to the same tracks back to back. But I think if I didn't do a back to back test, it would be tough to try to justify getting these. If I paid $300+ for a 650 instead of the $200 for these, then I'd probably be regretful in doing so.

I liked the single sided cord coming off of the 598.

It might be because I'm directly plugged into my laptop. But, it's listed as having a Sabre ESS DAC and a Sabre amp of some sort, but I haven't been able to find anyone listing the actual specifications of it anywhere. It's an MSI GS73VR if anyone wants to look.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The 6xx needs an amp. You will not get much out of it just plugging it into a laptop.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That laptop he has has a built-in headphone amp rated for 600ohm cans, so that's not the problem. metallicaeg, try listening to the 6xx only for a week and then try comparing again. You might be surprised at the difference once you've become accustomed to the 6xx.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I've never heard of such a thing, so I'm a tad skeptical, but hey if it really works then great. Just know that you really, really need a source that puts out around 2 volts RMS for the 600 series drivers to sound substantially better than the 500 series. Vast majority of laptops and portables do 0.5 to 1v.

edit: here's a blog post that explains why http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You could just look up the specs of the laptop, it's not tough.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So if I were wanting to replace my "gaming" headset with something more appropriate, what would I be looking at? I'm assuming headphones + dac/amp + some sort of mic? Can something reasonable be had for around $300 ish?

edit: Would be hooking it up to a PC if it was not obvious.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 17, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

grack posted:

I did, the specs I'm talking about weren't there, and you should maybe get some sleep or have a snack or something.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Etrips posted:

So if I were wanting to replace my "gaming" headset with something more appropriate, what would I be looking at? I'm assuming headphones + dac/amp + some sort of mic? Can something reasonable be had for around $300 ish?

Unless your motherboard's line-out/headphone-out is super noisy then don't bother with a DAC.

These will be either slightly or well below your budget but for gaming I'd go with:

Audio Technica AD900X + ModMic 4
Philips SHP9500 + V-Moda BoomPro
Sennheiser HD598 + knockoff BoomPro (plugs in to the headphone's 2.5mm jack with no mods)

If Massdrop is still selling it, then also AKG K7XX + ModMic 4, but you may need an amp to get the best out of the K7XX. Never tried them without an amp before, but it's my go-to.

If you're into competitive FPS, then check my post history to add a soundcard or amp with Dolby Headphone for virtualized surround sound.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hey everyone, first time nice headphone buyer here.

I'm moving to an apartment where bangin' choons are likely to be frowned upon. I therefore want some nice headphones to listen to music and play on the computer.

Budget - I expect to spend between £100-£200. That said, if there's something amazing just outside that, I can stretch the budget.
Source - Mostly will be plugged into an Asus Z170M-PLUS Intel Mobo, which has okayish audio outs I guess. Open to buying an amp.
Isolation Requirements - Nope
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not really sure. I've never bought nice headphones before. I guess bass heavy or balanced.
Past Headphones - Nicest I've had have been Sennheiser OCX 686G. Not a fan, not enough bass, not enough definition.
Preferred Music - Rock, folk, choral, indie. Mostly mp3s though, I don't have Spotify or anything like that to get access to really high quality recordings.

I assume I want open backed. Wireless would be really nice, as my main listening mode will be pootling round my apartment.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

grack posted:

I've tried, a few times, and can't find anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

I've tried, a few times, and can't find anything.

On MSI's product page it's listed as having a dedicated headphone amp, so you're fine on that front. Seriously, try my suggestion - listen to the 6xx alone for a week and try a comparison again. You might be surprised.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
From what I can find, that laptop uses a DAC that uses a Sabre ES9018 (also used in the SMSL M8) For the amp, it uses a Sabre ES9601 chip. There's not much info on that chip out there, unfortunately. It looks to be included in some products that are decently reviewed though.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Constellation I posted:

From what I can find, that laptop uses a DAC that uses a Sabre ES9018 (also used in the SMSL M8) For the amp, it uses a Sabre ES9601 chip. There's not much info on that chip out there, unfortunately. It looks to be included in some products that are decently reviewed though.

Thanks, after a bunch of searching I couldn't find out what the model numbers were for the Sabre parts.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Constellation I posted:

Unless your motherboard's line-out/headphone-out is super noisy then don't bother with a DAC.

These will be either slightly or well below your budget but for gaming I'd go with:

Audio Technica AD900X + ModMic 4
Philips SHP9500 + V-Moda BoomPro
Sennheiser HD598 + knockoff BoomPro (plugs in to the headphone's 2.5mm jack with no mods)

If Massdrop is still selling it, then also AKG K7XX + ModMic 4, but you may need an amp to get the best out of the K7XX. Never tried them without an amp before, but it's my go-to.

If you're into competitive FPS, then check my post history to add a soundcard or amp with Dolby Headphone for virtualized surround sound.

Unfortunately the massdrop for the AKG K7XX is over and I missed out. That being said, I think an AKG Q 701 might be the second runner up. What kind of amp would you suggest with that setup?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

metallicaeg posted:

Just unboxed the Sennheiser HD6XX. Only thing I can compare them to are HD598s.

I'm not disappointed in the purchase. I'm noticing improvement when listening to the same tracks back to back. But I think if I didn't do a back to back test, it would be tough to try to justify getting these. If I paid $300+ for a 650 instead of the $200 for these, then I'd probably be regretful in doing so.

I liked the single sided cord coming off of the 598.

It might be because I'm directly plugged into my laptop. But, it's listed as having a Sabre ESS DAC and a Sabre amp of some sort, but I haven't been able to find anyone listing the actual specifications of it anywhere. It's an MSI GS73VR if anyone wants to look.

For any sound card listening you need to enable bit-matched playback for it to sound halfway decent. otherwise it's just going to get processed to the ends of the earth and come out muddy.

for my card it's only an option while in audio-creation mode, ymmv

e: nvm

Setset fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 18, 2016

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I'm not a huge audiophile snob by any means, but literally the biggest upgrade you can make is going to be moving away from your onboard DAC. I had tons of buzzing and interference. If you can use optical out to anything, that will be infinitely better. Cheap standalone DAC/AMPs are dirt cheap and will be a huge improvement.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If it's a problem, sure. Some onboard DACs are just fine. An external amp is almost always a good idea though, even a $30 homemade cmoy will outperform the tiny surface mount ICs that most devices call a headphone amp.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

grack posted:

On MSI's product page it's listed as having a dedicated headphone amp, so you're fine on that front. Seriously, try my suggestion - listen to the 6xx alone for a week and try a comparison again. You might be surprised.

Everything that has headphone output has a dedicated amp of some sort. It doesn't mean it's any good, does what it says in the marketing materials, or will work with your headphones.

HD6xx are relatively high impedance cans with decent sensitivity. This means you can get acceptable volume with a lot of sources that still aren't driving them properly. If you own an HD6xx / 600 / 650, you should get an external headphone amp.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Etrips posted:

Unfortunately the massdrop for the AKG K7XX is over and I missed out. That being said, I think an AKG Q 701 might be the second runner up. What kind of amp would you suggest with that setup?

I would suggest to NOT get the Q701. People online keep complaining about the headband. I didn't see the big deal until I tried my friend's pair and they just feel awful on your head after awhile.

Another suggestion that I forgot would be the Philips Fidelio X2 + V-Moda BoomPro. No amp required on that setup also. As long as your mobo's DAC isn't super noisy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Etrips posted:

I just bought a pair of 598c for the wifey as a christmas present.
I had to test them out to make sure they worked of course

I could easily see these being the perfect gaming headphone for some people. Toss on a mod mic, or go full on streamer and get a blue yeti and you're all set.
They're on sale via amazon right now for $99. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JP436TS?ref_=sr_1_fkmr0_1&pldnSite=1

I still prefer my 598se, because they're open backed and have a little less clamping force. But the 598c is a very nice headphone.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a price point or price range where you start to see diminishing returns on shelling out more money on a set of headphones? Got some long plane rides coming up and wondering if it would be worth it to get new headphones. The pair of in-ear Sonys I have are a couple years old but still work pretty well, also I was a genius and only thought of this AFTER I got to the airport, so I'm sure I would be paying a premium for any pair that I buy in the terminal.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 20, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

An airplane is the ideal use case for active noise reduction/cancelling, and in that space it's basically bose QC25 or sony MDR1000X

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally got to try my MDR-ZX770BN on a flight and they did an okay job of cancelling the noise, particularly the low stuff. It didn't block everything, though, so I'm wondering if spending EVEN MORE will take care of more of it. I wish I flew enough to justify the $400 Sonys.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

evil_bunnY posted:

An airplane is the ideal use case for active noise reduction/cancelling, and in that space it's basically bose QC25 or sony MDR1000X

I actually found these and they feel great, but I'm more interested in in-ear ones (and also not spending $400 on a pair) as I'd wear them at work a lot and I need to keep an ear open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Do you really need noise canceling IEMs? Honestly just curious if that would even be needed with ones that fit.