Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System was a really great game. It's a shame the company that made it got bought out by Activision/Blizzard to work on Starcraft: Ghost. Which uh, never happened.

Blizzard is pretty cool about saying "yeah this game isn't any good let's not release it" at least. Other companies would just let that zombie trudge along to become Duke Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if it's the Secret World, it's not free to play

The game costs like ten bucks 75% of the year on Steam between various sales and doesn't have subscription fees, which is what F2P often means in an MMO context.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Baten Kaitos owns. I never did play the sequel

Lyude is the best.

He has a trumpet that is a gun, and in one of his finishers he just beats the enemy with it.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if it's the Secret World, it's not free to play

It is F2P now but members get benefits each month, extra nugents each month and free teleports.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Feonir posted:

It is F2P now but members get benefits each month, extra nugents each month and free teleports.

I think the Issues are a bit expensive, and the game isn't good enough for me to add it as another paid mmo but I enjoyed it when I played

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Feonir posted:

what's a nugent? do you get a little Ted Nugent following you around and defending the second amendment?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So I've been playing the updated Avernum series. Which is a remake of a remake of these old PC RPGs from the 90s.

They're pretty neat little games, but the second one has this book you can find in a farmhouse full of strange, arcane symbols that make your head hurt to look at.

So you go speak to the farmer's wife who is the one who owns the book and she explains what they mean:

"It's Algebra"

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

what's a nugent? do you get a little Ted Nugent following you around and defending the second amendment?

If you want the long winded explanation as a member you get 50% more of the currency that is chiefly spent on upgrading your gear. Called Black Bullions. Money is called Pax Arcana, and membership benefits also give you 1200 of the real money currency each month as well as a larger cap on Marks of the Pantheon as well. (Another upgrade currency, and black bullion by 20%)

The short answer is a nugent is any and all items that are collected in video games when I do not want to explain mechanics. Coins in Mario? Nugents. Sonics rings? Nugents. Ammo box in Farcry? Nugent Box.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Feonir posted:

If you want the long winded explanation as a member you get 50% more of the currency that is chiefly spent on upgrading your gear. Called Black Bullions. Money is called Pax Arcana, and membership benefits also give you 1200 of the real money currency each month as well as a larger cap on Marks of the Pantheon as well. (Another upgrade currency, and black bullion by 20%)

The short answer is a nugent is any and all items that are collected in video games when I do not want to explain mechanics. Coins in Mario? Nugents. Sonics rings? Nugents. Ammo box in Farcry? Nugent Box.

do you not see the irony in using a nonsense word you have to explain to describe a concept you don't want to explain

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nostradingus posted:

do you not see the irony in using a nonsense word you have to explain to describe a concept you don't want to explain

Well it worked for macguffin.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

Listen. I am not a smart man.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

Jesus Christ they brought back Flappy? For context he was originally part of a countdown to the new zone that was supposed to last a month. Funcom can't code though and it lasted more like six. He was a big 40 man frame rate destroying piece of poo poo. My pro strat was unequipping everything (gently caress repair costs) and then killing myself and waiting for the respawn timer to tick. You couldn't just idle because you'd get auto booted.

He's a 10-man raid now. Which is better than what he was, since he was only an awful fight because TSW can't do world bosses like they seem to think it can.

I still haven't and won't do it, since the most fun I had with Flappy was standing up on the respawn platform and reciting Shakespeare in general chat.

ROFLCAR
Feb 8, 2004

What?

Feonir posted:

I modded the hell out of that one, so I am not sure if it was a mod or the base AI but I love the hell out of the Chimera. I was out and about at the tree that looks like a dome over a large pit, coming down off of harvesting an anomaly I spot a bandit trio walking down the road. I was neutral with them and they often carry good stuff for trading so I go to approach them when a Chimera bounds up and cuts two of them in half with a few swipes, the third panics and tries to run, towards me, I haul rear end back up the anomaly tree watching this Chimera slowly stalk the bandit who is trying to run.

Wondering why the first big mutant isn't in pursuit when out of the corner of my eye I spot a second one circling the path where the guy was going to be, it ~chased~ the dude into the other one while it picked up and dragged the first two dead dudes off. Watching all this unfold atop my safe yet heavily irradiated perch I soon get the call for a blow out (Basically a once every in a while massive radiation storm discharge that kills everything non-mutant surface side in the area.) So I was stuck up in the tree watching a pair of Chimera circling under me while a massive radiation storm kicks up. Just before the blowout hits I leap off, run for the nearest hole in the wall with them hot in pursuit and just as my health begins plummeting I make it in my hole as a massive blast of electricity smashes both chimera apart.

Storm passes and I am treated to this view.

That series of game was so amazing, and it's exciting to hear that GSC re-opened and will be making games again. I'd love a another game in the STALKER series.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Subnautica.

Survival. Check.

Crafting. Check.

Underwater. Check.

Went into this one blind, and yes there is some hostile life, but nothing you cannot get away from, or deal with, was blissfully unawares, swam with some happy whale things, frolicked with a few aquatic critters, ate a lot more of them than I should of. Then...this happened.

http://i.imgur.com/FRGViNN.mp4

Some people cannot deal with the "Underwater" part, I do not blame them, nature is loving scary in that game, delightfully vicious, it is fun. A good and fun twist to the usual survival formula. The best part is when the sun slips below the horizon, and it is dark, and all the bio-luminescent things come out to play. Then all the things that will straight up end your life glow, and is pretty.

Feonir has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Dec 16, 2016

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
It's great when you get the tools to deal with those guys. They act like cats. They'll charge at you, ready to destroy you, then suddenly get hit by whatever tool you're using against them. They'll then calmly swim away as if they meant to do that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

He's a 10-man raid now. Which is better than what he was, since he was only an awful fight because TSW can't do world bosses like they seem to think it can.

I still haven't and won't do it, since the most fun I had with Flappy was standing up on the respawn platform and reciting Shakespeare in general chat.

The best world boss was still super Hel 1.0 where they put one too many zeros and she launched with like 200mil HP which was more than anything else in the game. At least the devs were there to fix it. Although the tsw forums arguing about whether or not it was a bug or feature would have been great (most things they argue about being features are bugs quietly patched later).

Funcompetence is the best and worst thing about the game.

I still like how the broken Orochi crate got some random company in California poor reviews on some tiny rear end independent business website. There's a crate in the first dungeon that was password locked but with no obvious password hints or anything originally it opened after three wrong answers and you'd get the lore. But they "fixed" that at one point leading to like a year and a half of people wanting to know the password so they could get the lore. Eventually someone brute forced the password and posted it on the forums and it ended up being 4/5ths of a zip code to some company in California that had "Polaris" in its name which lead to pubbies goon rushing the only website (a business lookup thing) with shot reviews about how they left eldritch horrors just laying around.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I played Yoshi's Wooly World, which is pretty much the love child of Kirby's epic yarn and Yoshi's Island. Poochy is absolutely adorable.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Feonir posted:

Are you positive that you call them Nugents and not Nuggets? I'm not criticizing you for using shorthand, but there is a very humorous difference in between a Nugent and a Nugget.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Excuse me do you accept Motor City Mad Men?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lord Lambeth posted:

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System was a really great game. It's a shame the company that made it got bought out by Activision/Blizzard to work on Starcraft: Ghost. Which uh, never happened.

:same:

Played it on the Gamecube and it was a lot of fun, like a Ratchet and Clank game with more attitude.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

shadow lugia is loving people up in kashyyk

rofl

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Played Pokemon Moon again and did the elite four, thing played out the same except this time I was challenged by Hau. Apparently there's several trainers that can challenge you for your title.
Feels like I'm an actual champion for once. Also some of the battles you can get into after the game are pretty tough.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Feonir posted:

Subnautica.

Survival. Check.

Crafting. Check.

Underwater. Check.

Went into this one blind, and yes there is some hostile life, but nothing you cannot get away from, or deal with, was blissfully unawares, swam with some happy whale things, frolicked with a few aquatic critters, ate a lot more of them than I should of. Then...this happened.

Some people cannot deal with the "Underwater" part, I do not blame them, nature is loving scary in that game, delightfully vicious, it is fun. A good and fun twist to the usual survival formula. The best part is when the sun slips below the horizon, and it is dark, and all the bio-luminescent things come out to play. Then all the things that will straight up end your life glow, and is pretty.

The best is those big shark-like fish that live in the kelp forest. They're somewhat hostile, but if you drop scrap metal in front of one, it'll start tossing it around with its mouth like a dog. This also makes it drop more teeth, which are needed for a bunch of base and vehicle building things.

Also when you finally get all the recipes and ingredients to make a full-sized submarine, you can decorate the inside just like it's a base.

And this shouldn't be a little thing, but reading the developer logs, the people making the game understand balancing the game beyond "make it harder every update", which has ruined a shitload of games, especially smaller budget/early access games.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Dec 17, 2016

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've started a new run of the Talos Principle, figuring it's been long enough and I absolutely love the game. It's a nice feeling being able to breeze through the first puzzles because I remember the tricks and kind of thinking required to solve them, and I can completely skip the computers that are just there for narrative purposes. (gently caress those time puzzles, though, they can suck it.)

It's made by the same guys that did Serious Sam, and while you're exploring the various hubs you sometimes come across ghosts of your predecessors just doing their thing before disappearing.

At one point, when you turn around from a dead end, one of those ghosts comes running towards you arms raised with the same scream the suicide bombers have in Serious Sam. Even though you can't really die in the game and it's been a decade since I played Serious Sam, I still had an instinctive "oh poo poo" moment. Well played. :golfclap:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Twitch posted:

The best is those big shark-like fish that live in the kelp forest. They're somewhat hostile, but if you drop scrap metal in front of one, it'll start tossing it around with its mouth like a dog. This also makes it drop more teeth, which are needed for a bunch of base and vehicle building things.

Also when you finally get all the recipes and ingredients to make a full-sized submarine, you can decorate the inside just like it's a base.

And this shouldn't be a little thing, but reading the developer logs, the people making the game understand balancing the game beyond "make it harder every update", which has ruined a shitload of games, especially smaller budget/early access games.

The reason it afflicts early access games so much is that the people playing it get good at it, and so demand more difficulty which the devs add without realizing that most people playing their game aren't going to come into it already being good at it. I've had a few games that have gotten harder over time and I've had to step back and realize that no, it's not actually pretty easy, I'm just experienced at it and the experience for a true new player is completely different to one who started and learned when things were straight up easier. Larger studios tend to have actual playtesters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Feonir posted:

Subnautica.

Survival. Check.

Crafting. Check.

Underwater. Check.

I've wanted this game for a while but my survival game buddy doesn't and insists it's not multiplayer. Is he right or am I dumb? I'm a huge sucker for games about the ocean and deep sea, Aquaria is still one of my favorite metroidvania style games because of its visual design and atmosphere.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

I've wanted this game for a while but my survival game buddy doesn't and insists it's not multiplayer. Is he right or am I dumb? I'm a huge sucker for games about the ocean and deep sea, Aquaria is still one of my favorite metroidvania style games because of its visual design and atmosphere.

It's not multiplayer, but still get it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

It's not multiplayer, but still get it.

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm totally going to if it goes on sale when the christmas sale rolls around. Man, I could have had that long ago :negative:.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm totally going to if it goes on sale when the christmas sale rolls around. Man, I could have had that long ago :negative:.

Why wouldn't you just look up a video of the gameplay and solve this?

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It is something they want to do but not until the game is in a place they feel is worth while as a whole before working on the MP aspect of it, which will no doubt involve a lot of fixes and tweaking. Have had some fun bugs happen in my games so far too.

The best one was when I caught a fish I could not eat and did not really have much storage room for it in my pod (The pod is your starter base, until you get established with your new home). I released the fish back into the water and it swam into the side of my pod, this dislodged it from its normally stationary position. Sadly I failed to notice this as when I swam back to "home" my pods beacon indicated it was 3.4 miles away and getting further, the little bastard shoved it out of the game world boundaries.

Last time I looked it said the pod was about forty eight miles out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Why wouldn't you just look up a video of the gameplay and solve this?

A lot of survival games have both single and multiplayer modes. Also I am both dumb and lazy.

Anyway, a thing I like about a game is that the old Monster Rancher games had the most insane ways to unlock monsters. In like, 3 and beyond it was always just rank up, win a fight and there you go. In one and two though? You had to do weird poo poo like planting a cursed tree in your ranch and letting it wither and die, murdering a monster and letting its grave rot until a ghost popped out. Or raise a specific and lovely monster to a very old age and high rank until it would randomly dig a hot spring and unlock three breeds of monster the game doesn't actually tell you about. :shepface: I miss Monster Rancher 2.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

A lot of survival games have both single and multiplayer modes. Also I am both dumb and lazy.

Anyway, a thing I like about a game is that the old Monster Rancher games had the most insane ways to unlock monsters. In like, 3 and beyond it was always just rank up, win a fight and there you go. In one and two though? You had to do weird poo poo like planting a cursed tree in your ranch and letting it wither and die, murdering a monster and letting its grave rot until a ghost popped out. Or raise a specific and lovely monster to a very old age and high rank until it would randomly dig a hot spring and unlock three breeds of monster the game doesn't actually tell you about. :shepface: I miss Monster Rancher 2.

I want nothing more than for someone to make a Monster Rancher clone that uses mp3's and give it the love and attention that Stardew Valley got.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Len posted:

I want nothing more than for someone to make a Monster Rancher clone that uses mp3's and give it the love and attention that Stardew Valley got.

I've been wanting that for years. There was a Monster Rancher mobile game that was really bad, Monster Rancher DS was a nice return to form but it didn't get nearly enough attention and localization literally broke part of it. There was a Japan only Monster Rancher MMO that died before I could play it. :negative: There's just no other monster raising sim that scratches the same itch MR did.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I've watched gameplay of Subnautica and I want it so bad but I don't have a computer capable of playing it and my only console is a ps4 which does not have early access support.

I love seeing the giant whale tentacle monstrosities. They're terrifying when you see them but then you find out they're just chill.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
back when I used to collect Tips N Tricks the codes section for monster rancher was a list of all the cds the game recognized and what monster they spawned. the only album I really remember from the list was blink 182's dude ranch

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

back when I used to collect Tips N Tricks the codes section for monster rancher was a list of all the cds the game recognized and what monster they spawned. the only album I really remember from the list was blink 182's dude ranch

:whatup: I had that poo poo too. I was lucky enough to have a few CDs that spawned the ??? breeds. Like the terminator 2 soundtrack which spawned a metallic jell monster. The in-game reference was to Dragon Quest (a metal slime that runs fast) but the CD was a perfect choice. Some of them, less so. One rare monster was set to an extremely limited printing of Beck Gold and another, the pole mock, was so randomly placed I don't think anyone actually found out what disk generated it until long after the whole franchise had died. The Monster Rancher 2 community went on for ages and was still reasonably active until relatively recently. They plumbed the drat depths of that game and figured out almost every little mathematical detail of it.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Nuebot posted:

I've been wanting that for years. There was a Monster Rancher mobile game that was really bad, Monster Rancher DS was a nice return to form but it didn't get nearly enough attention and localization literally broke part of it. There was a Japan only Monster Rancher MMO that died before I could play it. :negative: There's just no other monster raising sim that scratches the same itch MR did.

What did localisation break in DS? I remember buying that as my first MR after reading a bunch of LPs here, but I found d it really hard to get into.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Finally getting around to Baten Kaitos (the first one, not origins) on the Gamecube. I like the battle system so far, but I'm really bad at it. When I fought the second boss against the Spring Serpent dude I barely won as my deck had a few too many ice things in it due to me not seeing that boss coming. It is pretty charming though in presentation, and I like the constellation map - seems like a satisfying collectible..

Origins has my favorite video game plotst of all time. I am eager to read what you think of it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Origins has my favorite video game plots of all time. I am eager to read what you think of it

Of the games that I've beaten I think my favourite plot is Fantasy Life on the 3DS because it's so drat optimistic - there are literally no villains - every time it looks like someone is being shady is just a misunderstanding, like the war that's threatening to break out between the Kingdom of Light where you start and the Kingdom of Darkness that is the last hub you visit. The Dark King was imprisoned by the light king in a statue as retaliation for turning the light king into a child - but when you finally confront him He was just playing a game with the light king - a slowly escalating magical prank war that just got out of hand. As soon as he hears that his subjects are threatening to overreact he sends a letter off to the light kingdom to call off the prank war because thing have almost gotten really messy because of it. Then he just chills out with his wife as they are nothing but supportive of their son becoming the new Dark Lord and opening the kingdom up more because unlike the previous king he actually has friends to hang out with, and wants to make more. Then when confronting God to ask him to spare the world as it is ending He immediately starts working to figure out how to save it because you have enough of the plot resource for him to do something about it, and his daughters have become fond of it. It's just the most :3: plot.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nuebot posted:

I am both dumb and lazy.

Don't beat yourself up like that my friend