Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

OSI bean dip posted:

The Canadian Federation of Students is renowned for its jackassery. Read up on the Kwantlen Student Association and the CFS' involvement there. It is one of many reasons why UBC's Alma Matter Society is not part of it.

those were the folks who were stealing vast amounts of money and disrupting any chance of turfing the existing council, and then suing afterwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/patty-hajdu-renovations-million-1.3901080

quote:

Status of Women Minister Patty Hajdu approved a $1.1-million price tag to build a new suite of offices for herself and her staff earlier this year, even though she was told the cost might raise some eyebrows.

Hajdu wanted her new office to be in the same building as the rest of the agency — located at 22 Eddy St. in Gatineau, Que., according to documents obtained by The Canadian Press through the Access to Information Act.

Those documents also show that senior management fast-tracked the expensive renovation project to get her there, even before knowing how they would pay for it.

Before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appointed a full-time status of women minister — part of his commitment to gender equality around the cabinet table — there had been no need for an office of that size in the building.

Hajdu chose to have the new offices built instead of renovating a space at the building housing Canadian Heritage, the department that contains the Status of Women Canada agency within its portfolio, the documents indicate.

That option would have cost about $400,000, with a much earlier completion date and a location directly across the street, but emails suggest it was never seriously considered.

Hajdu was also warned that the pricier option might create a political problem for her once the word got out.

"The cost is higher than (the space at Canadian Heritage), and could increase since the estimates at this time are not firm," said a Jan. 26 memo prepared for Hajdu that detailed the pros and cons of the two options.

"(This) will likely be subject to public scrutiny and criticism."

The memo also noted that it's standard for ministerial and departmental staff to be in the same building; that the cost would be on par with similar ministerial suites; and working in the same space would increase efficiencies.

Minister kept in loop

Still, at least one official involved with the project repeatedly stressed the need to keep the minister in the loop about the costs, because she would be the one Canadians would hold accountable.

According to notes from a Jan. 19 telephone call where the issue was discussed, Meena Ballantyne — the head of the agency and essentially the deputy minister — responded: "The minister has a right to have a nice office close to her dept."

On a conference call the next day, Ballantyne pointed out that Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi was also getting a new office.

That office ended up costing about $835,000, which had the Conservatives going on the attack against the Liberals this spring.

There were other issues with the project.

Emails show that Hajdu, who got the job on Nov. 4, 2015, wanted to be able to move into the new space by the end of January 2016 at the latest, a timeline that officials feared was unrealistic.

Offices redesigned several times

There appeared to be some incredulity on her side too: early in the process, the documents indicate, Hajdu remarked, "It takes less time to build a house."

The space also had to be redesigned a few times, in part because the plans were drawn up before the chief of staff had even figured out how many people would be working closely with the minister.

The documents also show Status of Women did not have the money to pay for it all, nor did the department know whether it would get any help to do so.

Leonie Roux, a spokeswoman at the agency, wrote in an email that it was important for bureaucrats to be able to work closely with the minister and her staff, as is the case across the federal government. They moved in Aug. 1.

Roux also said Status of Women would cover the $1.1-million cost, but that they were able to get $900,000 of that through the supplementary estimates and it would have no impact on programming or future plans.

lol 'efficiencies'

wtf does this minister even loving do

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
we're getting into john thain territory here

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28793892

quote:

When John Thain became Merrill Lynch’s CEO in early 2008, he hired Michael S. Smith Design to revamp his office suite, spending approximately $1.22 million according to documents.

quote:

Commode on Legs $35,115

i hope it looks like dickbutt

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Arivia posted:

Gotta be honest I was a single-issue voter last election too. I literally voted for Ms. Auschwitz because Mulcair promised national public childcare, which is huge for women's rights.

Childcare? No, you must be misremembering. I remember during the election this thread (and numerous other places) talking about how the NDP were "running to the right" of the Liberals. Surely Justin's pipelines and excuses are as left-wing as it gets.

And surely what women in Canada need isn't affordable childcare, but rather they need a few more women to be ministers so that they know their voices are being valued and they feel included, without actually doing anything to help them.

gently caress, it makes me mad. I work flexible enough hours that my wife and I can manage to not have to pay a fortune in childcare, but we have a friend who is a single mom and can't afford basically anything and can't get a decent job because the jobs she could get hired for would keep her away from her kids and she can't afford to pay for daycare for all of them. But at least under Justin, she's more likely to be made the minister of something!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Listen that would be ridiculous, he not only won, he creamed her. Hillary never had half a chance as evidenced by the results, nobody is going to spit on democracy on her account. The electoral college is capable of doing something that boneheaded but it would never happen in a million years.

And look more educated voted Trump also (both groups, actual stats) - and there happen to be a lot of really smart people in the oil field btw. You are probably picturing that bum in the back row that barely passed or dropped out and headed out West for a grunt position. In reality though, most of the oilfield workers I have met are incredibly motivated and entrepreneurial in spirit. They are people who have recognized the opportunity the oil field presented and were brave to go out to a place even knowing they could get easier jobs, earn a fraction, but enough to live off. In particular I have nothing but admiration for people who risked it all to go out and start their own businesses I think its classless to associate them as people who just "couldn't afford an education" as a lot of them went out there with their "education money" and built a better life than the scrap of paper ever would.

Now we are in a place where our own government is turning its back on them, on the best the country has to offer, and its sickening. Had we a leader like Trump he would of found a strategy to help that sector. Ignore help even, he would of never done so many things to hurt them. The government should of done, and not done, many things over the past year. Transfer payments should of been cancelled and reinvested within Saskatchewan and Alberta, pipelines shouldn't of been held up, carbon tax should of never entered the vocabulary, and most importantly of all the government should of found something for those hard workers to do in the meantime like build infrastructure or set up manufacturing, but instead of all that we have seen billions spent overseas to no benefit of Canadians. People choose to look at Trump as a monster because the news blew up a couple quotes to much more than they ever were, and because their rigid definition of morality chooses to ignore common sense and evolution. Trudeau has literally set the country back at every turn, and he has done it all with a smile on his face while taking selfies. Trump has real potential, the markets agree, and I can't wait to see the wall, the economy resurrected, and most of all I can't wait to see a real leader in the power seat of the world.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I hope by the use of "shouldn't of" multiple times, that whole post is an elaborate troll.

Personally, despite my bitching about transfer payments in the past, I'm okay with them now because I get to watch a bunch of whiny assholes bitch about them and gnash their teeth, which is frankly well worth the cost. I hate my province and part of me actually wants to see it wither and die just because the people here have pissed me off so much. It's basically another variant of FYGM since I know I have the money to escape, but I feel better about it this time. gently caress Alberta and gently caress Albertans.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I still really don't get where this faith that Trump is gonna do "all these things" comes from. I can only assume that a year from now after Trump with his billionare cabinet has done jackshit for the average American there will be a lot less (but still a ton) of true believers. It'll be amusing for any Conservatives trying to hitch their campaign onto that wagon right now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

This is my local MP. :toot:

(I still voted NDP after the traitor Bruce Hyer left the party over the gun registry of all things.)

Entropic fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 17, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Entropic posted:

This is my local MP. :toot:

I really wish that the Trudeau government would consider optics before committing to poo poo like this. I'm sick of defending him to conservatives because he's spending All The Money Ever, and poo poo like this really doesn't help my argument. Like, if you're going to spend money, why not put it toward something worth spending on?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Did someone say commode on legs?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wish we'd get a ranked ballot system already so I could feel smug about voting NDP and make fun of the Trudeau govt's follies while not feeling guilty that I might potentially have helped another Harper term happen.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

Did someone say commode on legs?

I'm assuming the five-figure version wasn't already full of poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

PT6A posted:

I hope by the use of "shouldn't of" multiple times, that whole post is an elaborate troll.

Personally, despite my bitching about transfer payments in the past, I'm okay with them now because I get to watch a bunch of whiny assholes bitch about them and gnash their teeth, which is frankly well worth the cost. I hate my province and part of me actually wants to see it wither and die just because the people here have pissed me off so much. It's basically another variant of FYGM since I know I have the money to escape, but I feel better about it this time. gently caress Alberta and gently caress Albertans.

The change and growth this thread has seen in you is heartening :unsmith:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

PT6A posted:

The whole thing is an actual real opinion posted on Facebook by a friend of a friend. My favorite part is when they suggest all 17 billion dollars of equalization payments should goto Saskatchewan and Alberta.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Also equalization payments are federally funded and the Alberta government pays exactly $0.00

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

yellowcar posted:

Also equalization payments are federally funded and the Alberta government pays exactly $0.00

What's this now?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

They are from federally collected taxes

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I kind of wish Alberta would just separate and keep their precious equalization payments. Pipelines wouldn't get built anymore and we wouldn't have to listen to their incessant whining. It's a real win-win.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

As a woman and somebody from Thunder Bay (though admittedly not living there now), this bugs me a lot, it makes both look bad. My mother worked with her ex-husband and did not have nice things to share (though, really I generally took it with a grain of salt, because ex-husband is a biased source)

Syfe fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 17, 2016

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Syfe posted:

As a woman and somebody from Thunder Bay (though admittedly not living there now), this bugs me a lot, it makes both bad. My mother worked with her ex-husband and did not have nice things to share (though, really I generally took it with a grain of salt, because ex-husband is a biased source)

Because it's 2015!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

They are from federally collected taxes

No, the part where Alberta pays zero?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The Alberta government pays zero.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Alberta government

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

*Cue argument about Alberta, taxes, and Maritimes that ends with a variant of "Well maybe I'll just stop paying my taxes!!"*

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Syfe posted:

As a woman and somebody from Thunder Bay (though admittedly not living there now), this bugs me a lot, it makes both bad. My mother worked with her ex-husband and did not have nice things to share (though, really I generally took it with a grain of salt, because ex-husband is a biased source)

Well she's a lakehead grad.

I guess I shouldn't bitch about under educated ministers considering BC will be run by a dropout for decades to come.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

The facebook post is blaming the Alberta government for not cancelling transfer payments to the rest of Canada. They can't cancel transfer payments because they never see the money; it's part of the federal tax collected, and only comes back to the provincial government if they qualify for transfer payments, which Alberta as of yet does not.

It's a minor misunderstanding in the grand scheme of things, but it kind of speaks to the fact that a lot of Albertans would blame the NDP for a rainy day.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

namaste faggots posted:

Well she's a lakehead grad.

I guess I shouldn't bitch about under educated ministers considering BC will be run by a dropout for decades to come.

Hey now, she at least graduated from high school, a definite improvement over the Bill Bennett years when the Cabinet consisted of a bunch of rich kids with grade 10. The one MD from UBC was a definite argument against higher education.

I doubt I'd think more highly of Christy if she'd completed her Poli Sci & Religious Studies degree.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I almost thought about going to Lakehead for like 30 seconds. Really glad I didn't.

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

Arivia posted:

I almost thought about going to Lakehead for like 30 seconds. Really glad I didn't.

Lakehead is if your backup school had a backup school

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

At least it only cost 78% of what it would've cost other departments.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

I honestly can't tell if it's trolling or not. It's pretty good either way.

Noooo your previous avatar

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

JawKnee posted:

those were the folks who were stealing vast amounts of money and disrupting any chance of turfing the existing council, and then suing afterwards?

Yeah Concordia tried to break free and it turned into a massive shitshow.

Student politics are always, always stupid.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Albino Squirrel posted:

The facebook post is blaming the Alberta government for not cancelling transfer payments to the rest of Canada.

Ah that's it. I thought he was talking about Trudeau.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dreylad posted:

Yeah Concordia tried to break free and it turned into a massive shitshow.

Student politics are always, always stupid.

Student politics are garbage. The only ones who should be in charge of anything are people who don't want the job in the first place.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh yeah a student Diocletian

Hey maybe we should just abolish student unions ever considered that?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But then how will our future leaders practice acting offended when someone says fart.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

People who bitch about equalisation payments never seem to realise that they are calculated based on what the federal government calculates your provincal government should be able to raise in terms of revenue, rather than your actual revenue.

That way you don't get some chucklefuck province that decides to levy a flat and wholly inadequate 10 percent tax rate and then compl

wait a minute

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What can we expect from an economic fallout in Canada in the near future? What would be worse: The impacts of China's implosion, or the Housing bubble popping? Would Trudeau's Premiership be at stake?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/ArleneDickinson/status/810200682619801600

https://twitter.com/ErinOTooleMP/status/810195350413803520

lol

edit: the dogpile has begun

https://twitter.com/MichaelChongMP/status/810243698600640513

brucio fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

“Canadians are known as peacekeepers above all and not warriors. There’s nothing proud about being a warrior, war is a desperate outcome for a human being, peacekeeping is extremely noble.”

As a militant pacifist, I tend to agree.