Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I really don't understand why people are eager to defend Akiba's Beat but after playing the demo for a bit I must concur with the Amazon reviews that it is Strip but with a lot of the weird stuff removed and replaced with generic stuff, making it a worse game over all. The first impression I got was the change from Ar Tonelico 2 to 3. Strip was never as good as Ar Tonelico 2 though.

Also it doesn't seem to have any real shop tie-ins this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

I really don't understand why people are eager to defend Akiba's Beat but after playing the demo for a bit I must concur with the Amazon reviews that it is Strip but with a lot of the weird stuff removed and replaced with generic stuff, making it a worse game over all. The first impression I got was the change from Ar Tonelico 2 to 3.

Sometimes localization can make straw (or silver, to be more fair) into gold. It's how you get things like abusing some bad coding practices in Trails in the Sky to give every individual treasure chest its own snarky "it's empty" message when you interact with them twice. Or you get stuff like the anime series Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, which turned an already-amazing comedy up to eleven and made loving magic.

I don't think it's so much a defense of the game, as what Szurumbur basically said; everyone's waiting for the localization team get their hands on it and see what they run with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because Strip was fun outside of its awful combat and that with mediocre combat sounds like an improvement to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
When I read it was like Tales combat I pictured as similar to it as say, Star Ocean combat is. But no, it is so close to Tales mechanically (specifically the side view ones like Xillia) that there may be a legal issue.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 17, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fortunately you can't copyright gameplay, Capcom tried that years ago

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Fortunately you can't copyright gameplay, Capcom tried that years ago

Gameplay elements can be. Eternal Darkness's scare system is locked down by Nintendo, and The Simpsons' Crazy Taxi knockoff got dinged with a lawsuit for using the same overhead arrow for navigation.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gameplay elements can be. Eternal Darkness's scare system is locked down by Nintendo, and The Simpsons' Crazy Taxi knockoff got dinged with a lawsuit for using the same overhead arrow for navigation.

I would love another game with Eternal Darkness's scare system. That game was really impressive.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ever since Bandai lost the patent for loading minigames I think I've never seen another loading minigame.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Both those parents gotta be expiring soon. Namco had one for playing a minigame during load screens, but that's expired.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Tales games always have some long stupid name for their combat system that is front and center in their advertising so it seems like it's a thing they care about and would be upset if another game infringed on. I've certainly never seen anyone try to copy Tales combat this closely, not when there are less distinctive action RPG mechanics they could copy instead.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 17, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Tales games always have some long stupid name for their combat system that is front and center in their advertising so it seems like it's a thing they care about and would be upset if another game infringed on. I've certainly never seen anyone try to copy Tales combat this closely, not when there are less distinctive action RPG mechanics they could copy instead.

If they were gonna take a run at anyone for that, it would've been at Falcom for Cold Steel 2's Link System.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stories combat is ripping off Batman so much I keep trying to press triangle to counter instead of towards + attack.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

We'll be able to see Toriyama's style rendered in the highest quality 3D yet.

It actually does look pretty cool.

Main character has strong android 17 hair vibes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Morby posted:

I would love another game with Eternal Darkness's scare system. That game was really impressive.

Dont replay if you think so

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Real hurthling! posted:

I have heard it hasn't aged well at all. Which is sad because I have very very fond memories of that on my cube that played games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Morby posted:

By far the most interesting thing I saw was your character firing their gun in a random direction all of the sudden.

edit: I think it only happened once in all the time I played that game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 17, 2016

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

I have heard it hasn't aged well at all. Which is sad because I have very very fond memories of that on my cube that played games.

I fully admit that I'm looking at Eternal Darkness through nostalgia lenses. It's just like "Nightmare on Elm Street" on NES when I was a kid. It scared me shitless then. Now, i wonder what I was so freaked out about. I'd probably have the same experience with ED today.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The bath tub scene still makes me flinch like a baby.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

finally the video you've all been waiting for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5o4u3O6zL8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Being able to play Knack at 60fps is pretty tempting...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Hey now, I replayed it just the other day and it's still neato. You can't just shove it into a modern gamer's hands and expect the same. It's like enjoying and older art piece.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Sakurazuka posted:

Stories combat is ripping off Batman so much I keep trying to press triangle to counter instead of towards + attack.

All games with directional one-button combat are derivative of Mark of Kri.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stories is a nice idea but man it gets repetitive after a while, it's like a Zero Escape game only instead of being able to fast forward through a chapter you've already read you had to play through 15 minutes of wandering around the same stage again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Chill Penguin posted:

All games with directional one-button combat are derivative of Mark of Kri.

Agree. Such a great game, and it holds up well today. People should buy this game on PS4 if they never played it on PS2.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 17, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

Stories is a nice idea but man it gets repetitive after a while, it's like a Zero Escape game only instead of being able to fast forward through a chapter you've already read you had to play through 15 minutes of wandering around the same stage again.

Yeah, cutting down the amount of endings but increasing the variety within those that remain would have been good. It's funny but I don't think we needed half a dozen "you caused the end of the world" scenarios.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I guess they just dop the Drop whenever they like, now? :p

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

I'm playing the CoD free weekend and refuse to believe how bad I am at it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

crowbcat made another funny vid. this time with people who got busted loud fans in the ps4pros and dudes who don't know how to set their tvs for hdr. he says failure rate is low in the description but wanted to help people with issues feel like they weren't alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6__TvBzAVj8

mine runs much more quiet than my old one with no display issues so idk.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Starting to feel really fortunate that my Pro is dead silent.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mine is too. the loud ones are seeming like normal failure rate for new hardware

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My launch PS4 sounds like a lawn mower when I play The Last Guardian. I can't imagine a Pro being any louder.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Housh posted:

My launch PS4 sounds like a lawn mower when I play The Last Guardian. I can't imagine a Pro being any louder.

yeah mine was so loud i thought the steam radiator turned on one time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also that post comparing FFXV to Deadly Premonition: it took a few references before I figured out when Ignis was talking about how much he loves Ebony, they were talking about coffee. Game could use more coffee

I think there's some shop banter where they say that Ebony is a brand of coffee he really likes.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Can someone tell me how far I am in Last Guardian? Trico and I took a big fall and I got snagged on a tree branch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Can someone tell me how far I am in Last Guardian? Trico and I took a big fall and I got snagged on a tree branch.

About the 2/3's mark, I'd say.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you watch someone play from your phone? I just noticed there is a "request to watch" option on the mobile app.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Apparently the next Dynasty Warriors game is going to be open world covering all of China and have every character who has ever appeared in the series (and new ones). That's uh....gonna be hard to keep quality up to even the modest standards of previous games.

Also I wish they had the guts to finally change the title so the numbering lines up with other regions, but oh well.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 18, 2016

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

veni veni veni posted:

Can you watch someone play from your phone? I just noticed there is a "request to watch" option on the mobile app.

Pretty sure you can, yeah. You can watch other people's twitch streams and poo poo from the app.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
is it just my PS4 dying or something or does Invisible Inc run like absolute dog poo poo after you get into it awhile? Every menu hangs and it's just bad. I like the game but its frustrating to not know if it took my input or not. I like it, but thank god it's turnbased or it'd be unplayable.

edit: is this some unity poo poo again?

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Sounds like a memory leak in Invis Inc. You can check your vents aren't too dusty just to verify that it's not overheating or something.

• Locked thread