Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So open world exploring.

Which can be thought of, under the circumstances, as 'removing ally troops/forces beyond officers from the equation entirely'. Which makes some sense given they've been getting less and less useful. The enemy seems to be keeping them, though, for the sake of '1-vs-1000'.

Maybe they'll pull in stuff from Empires and you can summon troops somehow.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
where's my boy cheng pu

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
alternative: lu kang, lu kang, lu kang

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

As long as they'll have my waifu, Wang Yi, and my husbando, Zhang He, then it's all good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't think Godseekers was literally just dynasty tactics 3 with fancier animations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Assorted collection of DW9 facts, artwork, and videos for bite size consumption!

Can't wait to see how this works out.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

"They want to change input methods such as Square button for a standard attack and Triangle button for a charge attack. The concept of “being a match for a thousand” will remain, so something like Musou Ranbu will remain."

If they go back to a DW6-style combat system I will choke a bitch.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How does Dynasty Warriors go open world!?

I hope you can just be wandering around China then as like Lu Bu and just randomly attack people and then the armies get mad at you then you can just steal a horse and go on a wild ride jumping over flaming bridges and showing everyone why you are not to be pursued

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lunethex posted:

How does Dynasty Warriors go open world!?

Judging by Tokiden 2, possibly very badly

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Tae posted:

It doesn't seem they're going that route, at least based on this:

"Know-how is shared within the company. Because the nature of the open world is different from that of Toukiden 2, that technology cannot be used as it is, but that which can be appropriated will be utilized."

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae posted:

what went wrong there?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Motto posted:

what went wrong there?

Touki2 is not sandbox open world, it's a series of paths inside of somewhat larger environments. It's a step up from MH, but a far cry from true "open world" gameplay.

I assume this is the 'problem', at least.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope it isn't like that. I mean, it works good for Monster Hunter kind of games (I guess, I still think those games would be amazing if they were one big hunting area). I just don't think an open world is up to their developing chops. They do good for the niche they've carved out for themselves but I just can't see them putting in the money and effort for an engine that can handle all the things that come with designing an open world.

And when it comes to combat, they need to use One Piece Pirate Warriors combos. Triangle or Square starts different combo chains. Of all the Warrior games I've played that one has the very best combat mechanics of the bunch.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It WOULD be hilarious if you could just gently caress off to nan territory during Hu Lao gate or whatever

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

How are we at multiple mainline Musous with countless spinoffs and people STILL don't know why the random mobs are the way they are.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I can't possibly fathom DW9's open world being anything but like MGS5's where there's this huge-rear end open world to explore but you interact with almost all of it through menus that teleport you to the fight instantly and I GUESS you can wander around this city and find a collectible or two.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Takoluka posted:

How are we at multiple mainline Musous with countless spinoffs and people STILL don't know why the random mobs are the way they are.

Says someone who never dealt with DW3 or 4. They were murderous. 5 increased the count, but made them less aggressive by far. 8 they have near-to-no point.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DW3 was my first, and I even traveled back to DW2 for masochism's sake. They weren't terrible then, outside of the ridiculous unfairness of archers.

Mobs are supposed to be fodder, because the real obstacles are objectives and other officers. I'm not playing a Chinese super hero so I can trip over the citizens on the street who think I'm a meanie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the point of mobs in DW is that they're not individually a threat but left unchecked they will take objectives. I mean it's not the closest comparison but they're like minions in a MOBA or Tower Defense game. They're there to take objectives and you're supposed to stop them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I can't possibly fathom DW9's open world being anything but like MGS5's where there's this huge-rear end open world to explore but you interact with almost all of it through menus that teleport you to the fight instantly and I GUESS you can wander around this city and find a collectible or two.

Maybe they'll do a mix of DW and DW:E and make the Empires-like map real-time, sort of?
In a way that it's not really real time but you can freely move between maps in an organic way instead of by using a menu.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Whatever they do I just hope it doesn't suck. It's been a long wait to end up with DW6-II.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jimbot posted:

And when it comes to combat, they need to use One Piece Pirate Warriors combos. Triangle or Square starts different combo chains. Of all the Warrior games I've played that one has the very best combat mechanics of the bunch.
I just want unique combos. Hell even hyper attacks would be cool. Or at least more interesting chains than deciding when to combo attack. At least Hyrule warriors has a half decent take on using the combo attack buttons.

As much as I love dw8, the attack chains are really weak and Ex weapons were good at the time but aren't anymore.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sober posted:

I just want unique combos. Hell even hyper attacks would be cool. Or at least more interesting chains than deciding when to combo attack. At least Hyrule warriors has a half decent take on using the combo attack buttons.

As much as I love dw8, the attack chains are really weak and Ex weapons were good at the time but aren't anymore.

Hyper attacks were cool until you found an officer and they'd make you recoil.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I found Hyper Attacks made SW4 super boring so actively avoided using it when possible.

Selane
May 19, 2006

PureRok posted:

I found Hyper Attacks made SW4 super boring so actively avoided using it when possible.

Hyper attacks were cool in theory but they were also the best way to get around the level so I would just end up mashing Triangle each stage until my hand got tired. :effort:

I agree that the PW3 system would be the best one to copy if they want to change it for some reason.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hey guys Musou Stars has some new characters for you to enjoy I bet you're excited well here they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dead or Alive's Marie Rose and Honoka! horns.aiff

Also a pachislot mascot character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well that means Australia isn't getting Musou Stars

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I see the Monkey's Paw finally got around to my wish for DoA characters that weren't already in Ninja Gaiden. They could've at least added Nyotengu, she's already bombastic and hammy enough to be a Warriors character

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
At least giving crowds of mooks massive papercuts with a deck of cards will be kinda funny.

Ugh, Honoka though.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Honoka is a Dural-type character in DOA with a bunch of moves nicked from other characters, right? Maybe they'd be able to do something similar with a bunch of different Warriors characters this time around - that could be fun. Might require a bit more effort to make the weapons etc work though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, she just has a bunch of other people's moves. Except they don't feel like they flow at all and she's just no fun to play.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The pachislot girl had her own anime, I think. I like her.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Guhhhh, just use Ayane again. Give me a reason to play this Koei.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Takoluka posted:

The pachislot girl had her own anime, I think. I like her.

Yep, voiced by Marina Inoue in it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Dont worry guys Omega Force knows what they're doing with these roster choices.

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/811600225366216705

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I don't doubt that they do.

I imagine a lot of men and ladies alike are going to be VERY happy about seeing 'their Lord Husbands' in the bath. We have at least Zhou Yu and Zhou Cang to be drooled over, and likely more males to come.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Yeah, like Achilles, who'd better be in this drat game.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Xeremides posted:

Yeah, like Achilles, who'd better be in this drat game.

Pfft hahaha.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That reminds me it's almost that time when I go 'Legends of Troy can't have been that bad maybe I should give it another try'...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

That reminds me it's almost that time when I go 'Legends of Troy can't have been that bad maybe I should give it another try'...

You fool!