Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Come to think of it, I do believe Akira calls her a stranger. And her behavior when she's forced to wander around suggests that she doesn't really know anything about the place.

People latched onto the "she must be from Hanuda" idea because she turns so readily into a shibito when other characters we know are from out of town seem to have held on so well. But she relinquishes herself to the red water entirely, unlike Yoriko and Kyoya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I figured people latched on to the Naoko-from-Hanuda thing because why else would her yearbook be here? By and large the archive items have been fairly plausible. Dropped ID's student stuff in the school, personal stuff relating to locals, etc. There's no apparent reason for the middle school yearbook of a 30-ish year old woman who's never been to this village to really be here unless she brought it with her, it belongs to someone else in town, or the school it came from is here. The last option technically makes more sense outside of all other context.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
There's also no reason to believe that an idol's biography in a magazine is 100% factual. Being from Tokyo has more social cachet than being from bumfuck wherever and then moving to the city as a kid.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Zagglezig posted:

I figured people latched on to the Naoko-from-Hanuda thing because why else would her yearbook be here? By and large the archive items have been fairly plausible. Dropped ID's student stuff in the school, personal stuff relating to locals, etc. There's no apparent reason for the middle school yearbook of a 30-ish year old woman who's never been to this village to really be here unless she brought it with her, it belongs to someone else in town, or the school it came from is here. The last option technically makes more sense outside of all other context.

Her yearbook wasn't 'found' here, though, it was one of those end of mission bonuses that gives related background info.

wonderton
Dec 12, 2016
Excellent thread, SGF. Some cool discussion going on about ideas that I had never even considered. Played the game back in the day, but it proved to be too difficult for me and I never got very far.

I know the discussion about the siren sound itself was a couple pages back, but I lived in a rural part of Japan for a couple of years and there was a siren in town. It was on top of the local firestation and it could be heard every day at noon. I assume it was the equivalent of having a town clock and helped the farmers out in the fields know when to break for lunch. The siren was also used whenever there was a fire in town, which was a bit spookier because the siren was blasted in a pattern rather than just a single long note. No one told me about the siren before I arrived in the town, so it made me almost fall out of my chair the first time I heard it.

Living in that town I couldn't help but think of this game every once and a while. The game developers really did a good job at capturing the look and feel of a rural Japanese town. Minus the shibito, of course.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

wonderton posted:

I know the discussion about the siren sound itself was a couple pages back, but I lived in a rural part of Japan for a couple of years and there was a siren in town. It was on top of the local firestation and it could be heard every day at noon. I assume it was the equivalent of having a town clock and helped the farmers out in the fields know when to break for lunch.

Any place with a proper air raid siren needs to test the siren periodically so it's not broken when something serious happens. Maybe they were killing two birds with one stone, though. Where I live, the siren is tested every Saturday. It was pretty unnerving when I first heard it, but it's one of those things you stop noticing after a while. They also test all different types of alarm signals once a year. Those still get me every time.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

And More posted:

Any place with a proper air raid siren needs to test the siren periodically so it's not broken when something serious happens. Maybe they were killing two birds with one stone, though. Where I live, the siren is tested every Saturday. It was pretty unnerving when I first heard it, but it's one of those things you stop noticing after a while. They also test all different types of alarm signals once a year. Those still get me every time.

Yeah, if you live in the Midwest or Southeast US, you're familiar with the sirens being tested regularly. (Ours are every Wednesday at noon unless the weather is bad.) It's really unnerving to hear them blowing other times, especially on a spring evening for a tornado warning.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

And More posted:

Any place with a proper air raid siren needs to test the siren periodically so it's not broken when something serious happens.
This is also pretty common in some villages around here.

And More posted:

but it's one of those things you stop noticing after a while.
also totally this. Always makes me think the entire thing is a bit self-defeating. Similar to how constant fire drills in school just ended up "teaching" everyone to casually take their time or just ignore the thing if even slightly inconvenient.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

I felt like sharing the moment.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

vortmax posted:

Yeah, if you live in the Midwest or Southeast US, you're familiar with the sirens being tested regularly. (Ours are every Wednesday at noon unless the weather is bad.) It's really unnerving to hear them blowing other times, especially on a spring evening for a tornado warning.

Ours is the first Wednesday of every month.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.46 - Take A Look, It's In A Book

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The hint was apparently "Do not miss a running head," which raises more questions than it answers, probably.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So if we take the Hanuda folk tales as literal, if romanticized, fact instead of normal folk tales (because of course they are), i'm guessing that Hisako is the starving village girl from the book and is taking her sweet rear end time to deliver on that promise. Whatever that acutally entails. How do you return fish to the sky they fell from after you've eaten them? "One by one"? Apparently she took just one, and it sounds like the heavens got angry before she even really had the time to take one bite.

Also what kind of dick throws some fish from the heavens in front of starving people and then punishes them for eating them?

edit: also i guess this is where the thread title comes in

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HenryEx posted:

Also what kind of dick throws some fish from the heavens in front of starving people and then punishes them for eating them?

Gods can be dicks, news at 11.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Perhaps alien gods don't expect fish to be eaten when thrown at people.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

These secondary objectives are really inconsistent about whether or not they end the level after completing them.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

HenryEx posted:

"Okay Adam and Eve, you can have everything you want here in Eden! There is plentiful food and recreation, everything is perfect all the time. Oh, just one thing. Whatever you do, do not eat the fruit from that tree. Don't. Don't do it, guys. That tree right there. That one. Do not eat an apple from it. Everything cool? Kaythanksbye!"

Gods have been assholes for a long, long time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shoeless posted:

"Okay Adam and Eve, you can have everything you want here in Eden! There is plentiful food and recreation, everything is perfect all the time. Oh, just one thing. Whatever you do, do not eat the fruit from that tree. Don't. Don't do it, guys. That tree right there. That one. Do not eat an apple from it. Everything cool? Kaythanksbye!"

"poo poo, they ate from that tree. Lucky they were fooled by that tree, though, and not the Makes Us Actually Like God tree I *didn't* warn them about!"

That bit of Genesis is weird.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Ancient story gods happily humiliate, kill, enslave you all day long for just being in the way, or they're bored, or they want to bone. Of course only after they've made you watch how they humiliate, kill, and/or enslave your family and loved ones, you know, as a lesson. Wouldn't want to lack thoroughness in your draconian wrath.

The shibito are clearly getting off lightly, they're having just the most wonderful time. And maybe that fish was so incredibly good this is really just a tiny prize to pay

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

flatluigi posted:

The hint was apparently "Do not miss a running head," which raises more questions than it answers, probably.

Presumably it's referring to taking out the headteacher (that starts out running away from you) so you don't get ambushed trying to get into the library.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Night10194 posted:

"poo poo, they ate from that tree. Lucky they were fooled by that tree, though, and not the Makes Us Actually Like God tree I *didn't* warn them about!"

That bit of Genesis is weird.

Clearly god understood ironic process theory to distract them from the real threat. Better for them to focus on trying to do something harmless rather than experimenting to find true power.

flatluigi posted:

I think the hint is supposed to point to trying to hunt down the principal, since he is in fact not just a guy with a funky head, but also the 'head' of the school, and he also runs away. I don't think the game actually would expect you to survive a fight against 2+ Spiders in a narrow hallway, especially with how fast they recover. The weird phrasing is either weird translation or just deliberately trying to be cryptic, which probably isn't too out of character for this game.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 16, 2016

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

HenryEx posted:

How do you return fish to the sky they fell from after you've eaten them? "One by one"?

Evidence would suggest you do it by ritually sacrificing young girls.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ZiegeDame posted:

Evidence would suggest you do it by ritually sacrificing young girls.

That's how I go about it when I return groceries to the store. :shrug:

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Presumably it's referring to taking out the headteacher (that starts out running away from you) so you don't get ambushed trying to get into the library.
Being the brain shibito, he's also the head of the shibito in the area.

I do wonder what the brain shibito are called in Japanese, and if their original name references a head somehow. There's a very real possibility that the manual was translated by someone who wasn't involved in the rest of the localization process and had to translate the hints without any real knowledge of the context. Sentences like "Likes money" suggest as much, since you can make statements like that in Japanese without specifying who or what likes money or even if there's one or several money-lovers involved. So the translator can either risk misinterpreting the message, which can lead to the translation giving false information to the player, or just use super vague phrasing which makes the hints extra obtuse.

On another note, I'm so excited we're finally getting to the nest! :getin:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So I was thinking about the dog Shibito and I realized something- we really haven't seen any animals around, have we? You'd think there would be some dogs or cats but we've really only seen humans and Shibito.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Shoeless posted:

So I was thinking about the dog Shibito and I realized something- we really haven't seen any animals around, have we? You'd think there would be some dogs or cats but we've really only seen humans and Shibito.

Well there has been talk that they could be in some sort of hell/underworld. Might not be one for dogs and cats!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mindblast posted:

Well there has been talk that they could be in some sort of hell/underworld. Might not be one for dogs and cats!

We haven't seen any dogs, because all dogs go to heaven.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

No it is hell and they all turn into dogbito's. :colbert:

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

Mindblast posted:

No it is hell and they all turn into dogbito's shidogs
The "shi" in "shibito" refers to death and "bito" to people so a "dogbito" would be a dog person :colbert:

Unless this is the fate of the dogs of Hanuda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9vq-vSUS7U

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Shoeless posted:

Since the beginning of time, you could say.

Snoop Radley posted:

The "shi" in "shibito" refers to death and "bito" to people so a "dogbito" would be a dog person :colbert:

Unless this is the fate of the dogs of Hanuda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9vq-vSUS7U

Shibeito.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

And those drawings from earlier in the thread are of chibito.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Miyako's dog got killed in the beginning and we haven't see it come back. Think it's safe to say that only humans can return as shibito.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

And those drawings from earlier in the thread are of chibito.
There is a strange amount of cute fan-art for Siren. Does the same thing happen to other Japanese horror games?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rebel Blob posted:

There is a strange amount of cute fan-art for Siren. Does the same thing happen to other Japanese horror games?

This fanart seems to imply that Kyoya defeats the siren by listening to some kickin' beats. :dance:

Also, why does everyone's hair colour change randomly as soon as they turn into an anime?

And More fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 18, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

And More posted:

This fanart seems to imply that Kyoya defeats the siren by listening to some kickin' beats. :dance:

Also, why does everyone's hair colour change randomly as soon as they turn into an anime?

Makes the drawings more interesting at a glance, I guess.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

They made Tamon look a lot less badass, though. He is dressed in brown and his popped collar is gone as well.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

And More posted:

They made Tamon look a lot less badass, though. He is dressed in brown and his popped collar is gone as well.

But now he's got professor moe.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And More posted:

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I've also read that there's often a code to things like hair color to hint at a character's personality or role in a story. Like, giving Kyoya and Shiro lighter hair might be saying they're special in some way.

But in this case I think it's more what the artist thought looked good for the character's color palette.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rebel Blob posted:

Does the same thing happen to other Japanese horror games?

Yes. But it's hard to tell if it's more than other types of games or just a 'normal' amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I'm behind in my videos but I sat through Egomaniac's LP roughly twice, and yet even I can't recall how *all* the Maedas became shibito'd...

But seeing the way they behave as undead makes me wonder if shibito can just up and ignore the siren call since they all buggered off to go play house with their daughter instead of shambling off in search of hammers and carpentry tools. And everyone we've seen turn retained some corruption of their original personas but few of the common shibito do the same to the same degree .

I imagine that the simple explanation is just game mechanics and they're mooks, but I now have a basic theory that any of those mooks, except maybe the brains, are the townsfolk from thirty years ago and whatever's controlling them has had the whole time to strip their minds down to where they don't retain any semblance of self or at the most very minute traces. Maybe the shibito who was focusing on Hisako's viel knew her well or fondly and that's why it bothers to look longingly at it.

Even officer Ishida, who I believe has been a shibito longest out of the whole main cast still acts in a very self serving way by trying to satiate himself with food and booze; Akira even in death has had lucid moments and there's both the principle and Reiko are chasing after Mayumi... ( though to be honest I've never been sure of his intent, and always wondered if he was a creep to begin with or if his student friendly nature was corrupted)

I feel like nothing I've seen discredits this idea, at least that I can remember or has been covered so far...

• Locked thread