Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'll show you a friend of labor! *Grabs crotch*

E: balls, ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GlyphGryph posted:

Did these guys at least have the decency to put out a ballot saying "Perez / no one / do not endorse" or was this just a leadership decision?

You asking the same question but about AFL-CIO and Ellison?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'll show you a friend of labor! *Grabs crotch*

E: balls, ed

holy poo poo i just realized that mgs2 had president trump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KmJS-K7vSs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

bump_fn posted:

this poo poo is legit embarassing

docbeard posted:

The Hollywood elite, ladies and gentlemen. Clearly they are far too powerful.

Letting depraved millionaires be the public face of your ideology was a mistake.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

why do you not want him to do the job he's really good at, namely lawyering

I do, actually, which is one of the reasons why I support Ellison

But there sure are some Bad Posts itt and Perez is, generally, Cool and Good

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

if the democrats keep democrating that just pushes people out into actual left groups and parties doing mass work so i welcome the idiot fuckups doing what they do best

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

But there sure are some Bad Posts itt

I'm reading one right now.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

people would likely be less annoyed over perez if there was any indication he was running because he himself thought he was the best person for the job and not because obama's camp convinced him to out of a last-ditch effort to maintain a stranglehold over the party.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Homework Explainer posted:

if the democrats keep democrating that just pushes people out into actual left groups and parties doing mass work so i welcome the idiot fuckups doing what they do best

They've reached the absolute end of what they're capable of within their own framework, which is why self-identified Democrats are now being antidemocratic :lol:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

competition is Fine and Good, and under most circumstances Perez would be someone I'd be glad to see as part of that competition even if I also feel he can do better work elsewhere. But the simple truth is that he's present as an establishment tool, and any idiot can suss that out. hence the commentary.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LoL the loving idiot Bartlett called her mister.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Can anyone name good reasons for preceding Perez over Ellison?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

people would likely be less annoyed over perez if there was any indication he was running because he himself thought he was the best person for the job and not because obama's camp convinced him to out of a last-ditch effort to maintain a stranglehold over the party.

Obama and the rest of the DNC establishment are desperate to maintain the current failed system which is producing good results in down ticket races.

Get rid of them, it's time for progressives to run the party.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

If democrats keep democratting then their voters will just continue to stay home

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ace of Baes posted:

i keep being told that people voted for trump because obama was a white-hating partisan divider and that ellison guy sounds like a REAL partisan divider imo

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

Labor has an established relationship with him. It would explain the factionalism. That said, simply no. He has no relevant organizational experience.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its not illegal what those unite for america assholes are doing? If not it should be.

DoctorGonzo has issued a correction as of 02:04 on Dec 18, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cams posted:

i keep being told that people voted for trump because obama was a white-hating partisan divider and that ellison guy sounds like a REAL partisan divider imo

i wish any dem politician was the leftists the right wing thinks they are

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pomp posted:

i wish any dem politician was the leftists the right wing thinks they are

no poo poo, right?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Perez, Obama connection aside (and I don't feel as strongly as this as some, though I agree that a symbolic move away from that side of the party can only be beneficial right now) is a solid second choice, and if it's not Ellison, it should be him.

But it really should be Ellison. Not only is he an uncompromising progressive, and a popular Congressman (he won our district with something like 70%, and that's in the loving Massacre of 2016), the man lives and breathes community outreach and has done his entire professional life. I cannot think of a better person for the job (including Bernie Sanders) of reorganizing the party with a focus on reaching out to the groups of people who felt abandoned and betrayed by us in these past years.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah I mentioned that earlier too

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Only one more month until the Obama administration can take high paying lobbyists jobs for corporate america.

Truly a great collection of progressives who only had the best interests of the american people at heart.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

navyjack posted:

Oh loving baby Jesus what loving idiot thought THIS would work?!?

If only they sent each elector a personalized Lena Dunham rap video I'm sure they would be persuaded.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the problem isn't Perez, the problem is that Perez plainly has no reason to run since his platform is "Keith Ellison minus Allah"

therefore, why is he running?

it follows that he has some other motive or agenda, and it's not hard to figure out what it is: keep control of the party in the hands of the people who ran it into the ground over the past decade. they're following the iron law of institutions and trying to hold on to their power at all costs.

what he represents is dug-in resistance to any attempt to reform the party from the left and therefore he must be defeated. we need momentum and we need to back these loving vultures off and that means dealing them a couple of stinging defeats

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You asking the same question but about AFL-CIO and Ellison?

Yeah its a reference to thought, I thought it was a stupid and lovely move on the AFL-CIO's part and I was wondering if the UFCW at least managed to live up to those already low standards.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ace of Baes posted:

I listed off the reasons people had given so far, so no, none of them are good, personally speaking. If there were good reasons

If there were any good reasons I'd be a lot happier.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

If only they sent each elector a personalized Lena Dunham rap video I'm sure they would be persuaded.

Lena Dunham will keep on dropping off nude pictures of herself until the elector changes his vote.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

labor would be short one really effective lawyer if he got in the dnc chair full time like the party demands of the candidate so that's a double whammy

and considering the obama faction, that might just be what they're aiming for. democrats!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the problem isn't Perez, the problem is that Perez plainly has no reason to run since his platform is "Keith Ellison minus Allah"

therefore, why is he running?

it follows that he has some other motive or agenda, and it's not hard to figure out what it is: keep control of the party in the hands of the people who ran it into the ground over the past decade. they're following the iron law of institutions and trying to hold on to their power at all costs.

what he represents is dug-in resistance to any attempt to reform the party from the left and therefore he must be defeated. we need momentum and we need to back these loving vultures off and that means dealing them a couple of stinging defeats

This is a bit backwards, his motive/agenda to run simply needs to be "wants the position" for a whole bunch of selfish reasons or noble reasons that ultimately center around him thinking he can win. He doesn't need an ulterior motive.

Additionally, many of his backers seem to be backing him not because they think he's the better candidate on paper, but because he's a familiar face and a long time friend. Which is, imo, bad, but not as sinister as what you're claiming.

I think at least some of the people pushing him our definitely in the "cling to our own power" camp, but that's true of the people pushing Ellison too.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I doubt Perez will get it, Obama is a powerful figure in the party, but less so seeing as he won't be running for anything ever again, but a lot of the DNC needs to get relected in 2018, and they just got a preview of what it could look like with the current establishment calling the plays.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Obama pretty much spent the entire 8 years of his presidency pretending he wasn't a Democrat, except when it came time to start campaigning for himself. Now he thinks he has an authoritative voice on the direction of the party. :lol:

The really :lol: part is that he does have an authoritative voice for the direction of the party.

Power must be taken, it won't be given.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

labor would be short one really effective lawyer if he got in the dnc chair full time like the party demands of the candidate so that's a double whammy

and considering the obama faction, that might just be what they're aiming for. democrats!

Strange they only started whining about it being a full time only position when Ellison wanted the job.

Was Ok was Gretchen Wieners was running the DNC and being in congress at the same time.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

etalian posted:

Strange they only started whining about it being a full time only position when Ellison wanted the job.

Was Ok was Gretchen Wieners was running the DNC and being in congress at the same time.
dean didn't do a terrible job part-timing unlike democrats wlose seats

but dean was from a different era, when centrism actually got votes

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Guess both parties were the same the whole time :shrug:

Yes? Like you can get super pedantic, but on the economic aspects, both parties want the same thing, to benefit their donors, they just use different language.

Also sometimes eventually one party decides to free slaves, or recognize homosexuals as people. But only because 51% of the country decided for them.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Race baiting is never cool or good, friend.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

bump_fn posted:

Did someone say arzy!??!!?!

Yeah, remember when people would post :arzy: whenever someone hinted that Trump could actually win?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah, someone make CelestialScribe a mod.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Cross posting from the Trump thread:

The Washington Post released a Chrome plug-in that fact checks Trumps tweets.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
semi daily reminder to listen to Keith Ellison's podcast if you haven't

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/we-the-podcast/id958234911?mt=2
http://wethepodcast.podomatic.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

OhFunny posted:

[timg]https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Screen-Shot-2016-12-16-at-2.39.58-PM.png[/

[quote="OhFunny" post="467492940"]

Thank god now that Jeff Bezos can tell me how to feel about Trump tweets

• Locked thread