Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

idk I do a lotta random poo poo. I do fpga and microcontroller stuff by jobtitle but most of my job enjoyment happens in c# development or tooling work (c#/Haskell lmao) I don't really know what I want to do and that's kind of been loving over my job search for the past year+

step one is to decide what you want

then you tailor your resume and cover letters and practice interviews to go get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I work for money. how do I make the most money

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bloody posted:

I work for money. how do I make the most money

suck them off

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

you should know that HFT will get you the most money though so go use some f#/ocaml

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i legit put time into looking at becoming a sex worker

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i legit put time into looking at becoming a sex worker

niteflirt.com, clips4sale.com my friend. easy cash.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

you should know that HFT will get you the most money though so go use some f#/ocaml

u ever think about what incredible horse poo poo hft is? jiggling some bits around to summon money from the ether? remember the "flash crash" when some bad software did some cascade reaction and they rolled back the market? i remember. lol. Cool.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
not really app. for this thread (the job hunting thread) but i just want to put out there, into the world, that the buyers and sellers of paper products need to be launched into orbit and reduced to the universe's base elements by the incredible weapons of the Culture - bringing to bear the awesome power of Gridfire to break their very atoms down into the pre-cosmic sub-dust from whence they came in the time before the cosmos knew mass.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Agreed

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hft should be illegal

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

mishaq posted:

hft should be illegal

* finance industry apologist crashes through doors, runs in knocking over chairs , out of breaths says * "Actually"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

mishaq posted:

hft should be illegal

actually, it should be made irrelevant by global communism and the abolition of money

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually hft is good

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

step one is to decide what you want

then you tailor your resume and cover letters and practice interviews to go get it

i have struggled with this. doesn't help that even when i try to focus my employer goes "oh you're just so flexible!" and moves me all over creation.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the job im moving to in the new year involves working on hft software

gonna stack that paper and try my best to sleep at night

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

hire me

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

big scary monsters posted:

actually, it should be made irrelevant by global communism and the abolition of money

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

finally finished my portfolio site, responsive design is exhausting and I did really easy stuff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

niteflirt.com, clips4sale.com my friend. easy cash.

nah I want real cock in vag action here

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

nah I want real cock in vag action here

not sure dude no xp in that field. good luck tho

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

St Evan Echoes posted:

hft is good because it's how our seed ai overlords will make fat stacks and takeover the world

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

not sure dude no xp in that field. good luck tho

yeah thanks. word between the sheets is that i enter satisfactorily so I intend to capitalise on female desperation

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

echinopsis posted:

yeah thanks. word between the sheets is that i enter satisfactorily so I intend to capitalise on female desperation

lol no one is desperate enough to gently caress your thirsty rear end

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i'll gently caress him

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

actually, some women are!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

i have struggled with this. doesn't help that even when i try to focus my employer goes "oh you're just so flexible!" and moves me all over creation.

being "flexible" and getting moved all over creation is a good thing. it means you have more fodder for the resume, and you can build a variety of different resumes to suit different job applications

the catch is that when you are looking at a specific job, you gotta come up with a specific resume to match it. don't put every g-d thing you ever did for anybody on there. use the stuff that is coherent with a specific narrative that leads to you getting a specific job.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

hft should be illegal

worrying about hft is dumb

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

St Evan Echoes posted:

the only reason you'll have trouble sleeping at night is people calling you about production issues at 4am because the euro markets opened and everything went to hell

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 18, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

worst parts of hft are probably that you might have to write c or verilog

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the cool & good thing about hft is it spurs a bunch of investment and r&d into telecom poo poo

i cracked the gently caress up when i first learned these psychos set up nyc-chicago microwave networks because they have lower latency than fiber

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how do I get them to give me money to build nyc London ocean floor waveguide links

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

being "flexible" and getting moved all over creation is a good thing. it means you have more fodder for the resume, and you can build a variety of different resumes to suit different job applications

the catch is that when you are looking at a specific job, you gotta come up with a specific resume to match it. don't put every g-d thing you ever did for anybody on there. use the stuff that is coherent with a specific narrative that leads to you getting a specific job.

yeah, i can't say it's been bad for my career. just getting tired i guess, but vacation this summer :toot:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wrong.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

how do I get them to give me money to build nyc London ocean floor waveguide links

lol that would be awesome

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

cheque_some posted:

pyf responses to some of these ridic questions I got for a pre-interviewing screening

1. BeOS

4. 172.16.0.0/12

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Bloody posted:

also who wants to hire me to do poo poo in boston/new York/dc I'm good at touching computers thanks in advance this job search poo poo's gettin me worn out

pm me; we have some software positions open in cambridge

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mate i wish i could get a job as easy as it is for me to find a woman to sleep with. jesus it's back to front: you mother fuckers have my exact opposite problem

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

update your e/n thread mate

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

the problem with being able to do everything when people know that is everyone asks you for everything. it's great when you're looking for a new job and can tailor your resume for what you really want to do but don't you dare let them catch on that you're 'good with computers' (i'm not a CS person) or you will be stuck forever fixing stupid poo poo because they don't want to call IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

i feel like i need to start an ngo to donate dignity to echopenises conquests.

• Locked thread