Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Shine posted:

I'm WWE Universal Champion Kevin Owens.

poo poo maybe the mods aren't so bad after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Shine posted:

I'm WWE Universal Champion Kevin Owens.

I'm calling WWE Universal Champion Kevin Owens. You better pick up this time

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Actually, in that vein: I know we get some "celebrities" (mostly minor internet folks, like Kate Beaton, but also folks like Deadmau5) on the forums every now and then, do you mods ever take note or adjust your modding to accommodate this? I can't imagine it would affect anything that much, just curious. Also, if anyone has memories of "famous" people on the forums and how that went, I bet that would be amusing.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Bring back LF.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Safety Biscuits posted:

Bring back LF.

No.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

porkswordonboard posted:

Actually, in that vein: I know we get some "celebrities" (mostly minor internet folks, like Kate Beaton, but also folks like Deadmau5) on the forums every now and then, do you mods ever take note or adjust your modding to accommodate this? I can't imagine it would affect anything that much, just curious. Also, if anyone has memories of "famous" people on the forums and how that went, I bet that would be amusing.

Derek Smart was recently a moderator here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Derek Smart is only famous to me because of that DEREK SMARTS DESKTOP COMMANDER video.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
i'm actually huma abedin :ssh:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

i'm actually huma abedin :ssh:

Makes the gunny human being story all the more interesting.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have any measure of success when moderating the forums?

Do you have targets for growth, or minimising subscriber losses?

Are there long term goals for the forums in terms of income, membership numbers, and are the moderators expected to support those?

I mean, as far as I know, it's a business that supports at least one family.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As Something Awful account holders, we are entitled to quarterly reports on moderator performance.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

What forums do you lurk but never post in?

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Trammel posted:

Does the mod with the most probations at the end of the quarter get an all expense paid trip to Lowtax's Private Guest Bedroom Resort?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Trammel posted:

I can't say I've ever had anyone talk to me about metrics as a Something Awful Forums Moderator. I guess "is this a forum I actually want to post on" is a measure of success.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Derek Smart is only famous to me because of that DEREK SMARTS DESKTOP COMMANDER video.

That video is the only reason that forum was created.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
i could be wrong, but i'm guessing most posters usually only visit a handful or less out of the many subforums there are, so it might be neat to hear what some of your favourite threads in the forums you mod in are. funny or informative, doesn't matter, but stuff you think is good enough and has a wide enough appeal that it deserves some spotlight.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Grandmother of Five posted:

i could be wrong, but i'm guessing most posters usually only visit a handful or less out of the many subforums there are, so it might be neat to hear what some of your favourite threads in the forums you mod in are. funny or informative, doesn't matter, but stuff you think is good enough and has a wide enough appeal that it deserves some spotlight.

One of the best threads (That isn't a megathread) in TCC at the moment is a thread highlighting all sorts of crazy drug magazine ads, that goons recovered from archives. Good fun!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure the other mods are tired of me posting links to this thread in the mod forum, but witness this, bloodbag!

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
neat. i haven't read all of it, since the AI thread is a long read; mostly just sorted by the OP's post alone and looking at the pics + OP posts, but those threads are both legitimately cool. i don't mean this as a back-hand at the current GBS, but those kind of project or effort threads were kinds of threads that i liked a bunch in GBS, like when some goons built a submarine & i just figured that sort of thread had mostly just died out, but it makes sense for them to be all over the subforums.

i don't know if it has been done before, but i'd think threads like that would appeal to a wider audience than TCC and AI alone, and that a neat thing to try out with the rotating sub forum, might be a forum that features an on-going thread or two from each of the different subforums.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

neat. i haven't read all of it, since the AI thread is a long read; mostly just sorted by the OP's post alone and looking at the pics + OP posts, but those threads are both legitimately cool. i don't mean this as a back-hand at the current GBS, but those kind of project or effort threads were kinds of threads that i liked a bunch in GBS, like when some goons built a submarine & i just figured that sort of thread had mostly just died out, but it makes sense for them to be all over the subforums.

i don't know if it has been done before, but i'd think threads like that would appeal to a wider audience than TCC and AI alone, and that a neat thing to try out with the rotating sub forum, might be a forum that features an on-going thread or two from each of the different subforums.

OPs posts stop mattering after he ditched town. You need to read 14's posts primarily.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Can mods or admins see users' ignore and buddy lists?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

zen death robot posted:

Nope. Not even admins can see that

Admins? heck - not even the sql tables can see it. In fact we're not even sure if it actually exists. Our current theory is that Radium studied the placebo effect and managed to code the button in such a way that users just stop seeing the posts after clicking, regardless of any actual effect.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

CrazyLittle posted:

Admins? heck - not even the sql tables can see it. In fact we're not even sure if it actually exists. Our current theory is that Radium studied the placebo effect and managed to code the button in such a way that users just stop seeing the posts after clicking, regardless of any actual effect.

Every time I hear more about Radiums code I think less and less that he is a bad coder and more and more that he is a technowizard.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Wasn't there somebody who broke the forums because he had a shitload of people on his ignore list?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Instant Sunrise posted:

Wasn't there somebody who broke the forums because he had a shitload of people on his ignore list?

this guy :coupons:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1879

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 17, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CrazyLittle posted:

I love these loving forums.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
coding is like some sort of tolkien eldritch speech in that as a person masters it more, they attain a gangrenous aura and lose their humanity

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It wasn't elvish written around the circumference of the One Ring, it was perl

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

coding is like some sort of tolkien eldritch speech in that as a person masters it more, they attain a gangrenous aura and lose their humanity

pm me an address an i'll send you a tom of finland card and stamp

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Avshalom posted:

Hello Avshalom.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

]
What is your favorite crazy person forum saga (I.e. vilepilot)?

What keyboard and mouse do you use?

E: bonus question, which mod is the best at video games?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

weak wrists big dick posted:

What is your favorite crazy person forum saga (I.e. vilepilot)?

Caro

Some mechanical keyboard I got for Xmas a few years ago.

idk it's corded though.

Video Games I hope.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

As a true gamer, I have an old logitech g500 mouse and a ducky shine 3 mechanical keyboard. It's one of the slim ones with no numberpad.

Also I am a paradox in that out of all the mods I am the best at being the worst at Video games. (Sorry N4I)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i love vilepilot, he's still around but is apparently receiving treatment now so his bad behaviour is limited to constantly posting in creative convention about this really bad animation of kafka's metamorphosis that he's been making for like ten years now with no apparent progress whatsoever, it looks like a playstation 1 game and the threads usually last about an hour before vp gets furious about goons dissing his magnum opus and gets it all gassed. he doesn't make threads constantly but i've seen him post this weird plastic nonsense and rants about his artistic integrity about a dozen times now and it's hilarious every time

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
a troubled, beautiful creature

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm probably the best at Rocket League and the worst at everything else.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought vilepilot was gurf or is he completely unrelated permabanned youtube spammer?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

so DARE just got permabanned again, only managing to make a few posts. the guy is really easy to recognize imo, so just how many reports do you get when this guy makes a re-reg? it seems like he gets outed nearly instantly.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

so DARE just got permabanned again, only managing to make a few posts. the guy is really easy to recognize imo, so just how many reports do you get when this guy makes a re-reg? it seems like he gets outed nearly instantly.

Sorry but we cannot discuss state secrets. Lowtax forbid us from attracting any more visits from the secret service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread