Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Those "paid protestors" bussed in to protest the pipeline are having fun camping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geokinesis posted:

I feel sorry for you all

for using fahrenheit.

Fahrenheit is the superior system for talking about the weather. There's a broader range of numbers covering the temperatures people actually experience.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guy Goodbody posted:

Fahrenheit is the superior system for talking about the weather. There's a broader range of numbers covering the temperatures people actually experience.

The best system is one that you and the person you are talking to are familiar with.

Besides pure temperature is a poo poo way of conveying how nice it is out.
Fuckin 28 degrees but 100% humidity and no wind.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The UK uses an even superior system.

when it's hot, we say "it's fooken 90f" and when it's cold we say "it's fooken minus 2c!"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Besides pure temperature is a poo poo way of conveying how nice it is out.
Fuckin 28 degrees but 100% humidity and no wind.

Where does it get that cold and that humid at the same time?

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Ah, a mild day in Winterpeg.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guy Goodbody posted:

Where does it get that cold and that humid at the same time?

See I was using celsius in that post

QEDurrr

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lifehack: Live somewhere where it is constantly -40, and it doesn't matter which scale you use!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Lifehack: Live somewhere where it is constantly -40, and it doesn't matter which scale you use!

Great user/post combo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Hey

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ak Gara posted:

screamish

... Did you mean squeamish?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Why are you like this America

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Because we are the best.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Zzulu posted:

Countries that have walked on the Moon: America

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

TheLightPurges posted:

Countries that have smashed multiple vehicles into other celestial bodies because of conversions: America.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Zzulu posted:

Canada is a little bit in there too - there seems to be very little use of metric for height or body weight or buying from a butcher

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, I have no idea how tall I am in centimeters or how much I weigh in kilograms. I also have this weird thing where I refer to an elevation in feet, but if I'm climbing a mountain I refer to how many meters gain I have to go up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yo: doing a quick F/C conversion is super easy if it doesnt have to be precise: F->C is subtract 30, divide by half. C->F double it, then add 30. 20 C is ~80 F, 90 F is ~30 C

Also, range/precision is meaningless for humans. That's all about what you're used to. I've heard Fahrenheit described as 0-100 being the range of human-comfortable temperatures, whatever that means. Pro tip: humidity, wind, & shade easily have a 5 C effect (= 9 F)

If you're loving around with chemistry or something, then you gotta go metric.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHNfvJc99YY

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Ak Gara posted:

The UK uses an even superior system.

when it's hot, we say "it's fooken 90f" and when it's cold we say "it's fooken minus 2c!"

On behalf of everyone in the UK nobody has a clue how Fahrenheit works, except that 103-whatever is a bad fever.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheLightPurges posted:

Doesn't the agency that walked on the moon now use metric?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Meskhenet posted:

They tried to use both for a while, but it didn't work out.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

As a celsius user we'll never agree, but can you really feel the difference between, say, 70F and 73F? Because we can sure as hell feel the difference between 21C and 24C. It always seemed to me like F has a lot of values that are pretty useless.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

I was thinking that this was what it's like in memphis right now. Well poo poo.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hey! You found the book I wrote!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Gromit posted:

As a celsius user we'll never agree, but can you really feel the difference between, say, 70F and 73F? Because we can sure as hell feel the difference between 21C and 24C. It always seemed to me like F has a lot of values that are pretty useless.
There is a pretty noticeable difference between when I set my AC to 76 and when I set it to 73 :v:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Guy Goodbody posted:

techknight posted:

Canada is a little bit in there too - there seems to be very little use of metric for height or body weight or buying from a butcher

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, I have no idea how tall I am in centimeters or how much I weigh in kilograms. I also have this weird thing where I refer to an elevation in feet, but if I'm climbing a mountain I refer to how many meters gain I have to go up.

Powaqoatse posted:

Yo: doing a quick F/C conversion is super easy if it doesnt have to be precise: F->C is subtract 30, divide by half. C->F double it, then add 30. 20 C is ~80 F, 90 F is ~30 C

Also, range/precision is meaningless for humans. That's all about what you're used to. I've heard Fahrenheit described as 0-100 being the range of human-comfortable temperatures, whatever that means. Pro tip: humidity, wind, & shade easily have a 5 C effect (= 9 F)

If you're loving around with chemistry or something, then you gotta go metric.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Stop talking about temprature or whatever and look at this fat loving cat

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!

My phone cropped the ad on this page beautifully

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eastbound Spider posted:

Stop talking about temprature or whatever and look at this fat loving cat

thats a hot cat

i wanna say roughly 561,15 degrees rankine

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh poo poo didn't that used to be called the Spanish Pistol or something like that?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I really wish all those astronaut quotes were real. I want to believe astronauts are that trollish, it would give us a reason to idolize them again in these terrible times

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BANNED for EXTREME SEXUAL CONTENT in the UK

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah, and they haven't been to the moon since. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:chord:

• Locked thread