Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
My favourite thing about the Vader rampage was the way Rebel troopers kept trying to slow Vader down so the guys with the data disc could get away. A nice, understated counterpoint to Orson "my performance review" Krennic and Wilhuff "literally use the Death Star to kill Krennic out of spite" Tarkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

skooma512 posted:

Which leads me to question why they would bother to use the Death Star on Scarif if an ICBM (with some spacey bullshit for taste) would have been more than adequate?

Because Tarkin is extremely petty.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Were those old, shabby-looking stormtroopers with yellowing armor supposed to be what's left of the clone troopers, or is it supposed to indicate that the Empire is short on resources / manpower? I didn't really get that impression from anything else, but the imperial forces on Scarif looked pretty rag-tag at points.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Were those old, shabby-looking stormtroopers with yellowing armor supposed to be what's left of the clone troopers, or is it supposed to indicate that the Empire is short on resources / manpower? I didn't really get that impression from anything else, but the imperial forces on Scarif looked pretty rag-tag at points.

I took it to be a tropics specific armor like the armies had in WWII

I am curious to the fate of the clones after ep.iii. generally only been stated they were "retired" iirc

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

Smartest thing this movie does: bring Atomic Bomb imagery to the Death Star. It grounds the devastation in something we're all familiar with and its more horrifying and real because of it.

I appreciate the effort they put into making the Rebellion a varied force, sometimes in conflict with itself, but just like in TFA, we don't really learn enough to figure out whats going on. Whitaker's group is 'too militant'? In what way? Isn't the Rebel Alliance deploying force to fight the Empire? Or its not? There are times where it sounds like they haven't yet fought the Empire and are trying bureaucratic maneuvers (The bits from Bail Organa about going to the Senate...which has what power? to do what exactly?) but I find it hard to believe there haven't been skirmishes to that point yet when they've been hiding out in an armed camp for presumably years.

My guess that Organa wanted to use the Senate to revoke Palpatine's and the Moffs' executive powers or something. I'm not sure what would happen after that, like would the Imperial military stand down, have mass defections in support of the Senate, or have it where the Moffs tear themselves apart (which eventually happens between RotJ and TFA). General Tagge in ANH is particularly concerned about the rebels' support in the Senate, meaning the Imperial military viewed Senate interference as a major obstacle, until Tarkin tells him that Palpatine has dissolved the Senate following the completion of the Death Star, since Palpatine's threat of annihilation would invalidate the Senate's representative authority and the Moffs would handle the day-to-day governance of the systems.

BigglesSWE posted:

Add to the fact that each and every one of those ships and pilots lost was probably a painful loss for the rebels, while it was probably the loss of the Death Star that was the first substantial loss for the Empire. Arguably, the data banks on Scarif was pretty important, but not important enough to stop Tarkin from blowing them apart.

Considering that they managed to build a second Death Star after Krennic killed Galen's support staff and the Scarif archives being blown up, I'm pretty sure they had backups somewhere.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I took it to be a tropics specific armor like the armies had in WWII

I am curious to the fate of the clones after ep.iii. generally only been stated they were "retired" iirc

Star Wars: Rebels deals with some of the clones from The Clone Wars. Their accelerated aging basically has caught up with them. For instance, Rex and his two clone brothers look like they're in their fifties and sixties despite being like 25 years old.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 18, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

skooma512 posted:

Which leads me to question why they would bother to use the Death Star on Scarif if an ICBM (with some spacey bullshit for taste) would have been more than adequate?

because tarkin is a petty gently caress and sees it an opportunity 1. test the weapon again, this time infront of a rebel fleet to scare them. 2. to contain the situation on the ground fully. and 3. one less rival.

Dishwasher posted:

I expected a Thrawn-level super-genius and super-ratchet Grand Admiral, not an over-stressed construction manager fighting hologram leaks and demotions.

That's fine tho and pleasantly unexpected. He's important in a movie designed to expand the Rebels and Imperials if only to help highlight, along with Cassian and that old dead screaming X-Wing captain, that being a mid-level manager in either faction is a lovely loving Deal. Best to just use the contacts and imperial academy training, and take up smuggling if you get the sense the saga you're in isn't really about you.

yeah and that explains his outfit too. he wants to be the real actual high rank instead of some middle ranked officer with a speclized mission. hence the cape and the white suit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah and that explains his outfit too. he wants to be the real actual high rank instead of some middle ranked officer with a speclized mission. hence the cape and the white suit.

I actually dug that in his first appearance, his uniform looks wrinkled and baggy instead of starched and ironed, like he's putting on airs to be more impressive.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because tarkin is a petty gently caress and sees it an opportunity 1. test the weapon again, this time infront of a rebel fleet to scare them. 2. to contain the situation on the ground fully. and 3. one less rival.

Nah, that's just the outfit for Intelligence Officers.

Also, he was a Project Manager LOL.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Two questions: two storm troopers are chatting and mention something like "the T37s are being retired." What was that a reference to? Clone troopers being phased out?

In one of the trailers I think there was a scene of dozens of rebel pilots surrendering. I know the film was edited a lot, but where would that have fit in? When the flagship was captured?

In ANH two stormtroopers are chatting on the Death Star while Obi sneaks around: "Have you seen the new T16?"

In TFA two stormtroopers are chatting on Starkiller Base while Rey sneaks around: "Have you seen the new T17?"

This time, two stormtroopers are chatting on Scarif and say "I hear the T15 is obsolete"

As far as references go I love these, because they don't get in the way at of the viewer (whether you get the gag or not) and they really betray that JJ and Gareth are complete nerds.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hollismason posted:

Nah, that's just the outfit for Intelligence Officers.

Also, he was a Project Manager LOL.

oh i know ISB, i just mean the cape and all the extra poo poo.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'd swear they called him Governor Tarkin in this movie. Does he get promoted to Grand Moff in the following hour?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I thought those were a different kind of trooper, like a beach stormtrooper. I didn't get the impression their suits had yellowed like an old SNES console lol

e: they're called shoretroopers: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shoretrooper

the armor is a sand colour.

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 18, 2016

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Anyone else find it too on the nose that their new tropical troops are literally hot blonds that we all know really exist to further a scheme of extracting money from people.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Milky Moor posted:

The shot where Krennic is drenched and staring up at him in fear isn't in the film at all.

What's that from?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Imo it really feels to me like the "Vader murders a roomful of rebel mooks" scene was, initially, going to be literally his only scene in the movie and that Krennic's visit to JRPG Final Boss Planet was added wholly in the reshoots.

It felt weird that it happened after all our protagonists were already dead - like it was an unnecessary epilogue or something. Maybe it should have happened concurrently with Jyn and Cassian on the beach or something

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

TheMaestroso posted:

What's that from?

That's actually Galen, looking up on Krennic, and it is in the film.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Wandle Cax posted:

I thought those were a different kind of trooper, like a beach stormtrooper. I didn't get the impression their suits had yellowed like an old SNES console lol

e: they're called shoretroopers: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shoretrooper

the armor is a sand colour.

Hah an old SNES is exactly what it made me think of, mostly because the armor was a lot more scratched and dinged up than the really shiny white ones they were running around with. Thought it was supposed to be some old veteran unit that had been out in the elements for a long-rear end time.

I guess I never really thought of stormtroopers using camo of sorts, since all of the dudes wearing black / white / silver never seemed to give a poo poo. Those sand troopers on Tattooine got a raw deal.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I saw it again, this time in 2D and you people complaining about uncanny valley for Tarkin and Leia are full of poo poo. If you didn't know of the original actors you wouldn't think it was CG at all. If they lied and said it was Bill Nighy and Fishers daughter you would've cheered the casting choice.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 18, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'd swear they called him Governor Tarkin in this movie. Does he get promoted to Grand Moff in the following hour?

It's interchangeable, really. Leia refers to him as "Governor Tarkin" in ANH. I had thought it was a retcon but it looks like it was actually in the first few drafts of the Star Wars script. It was probably one of those things that got dumped initially and got added in later into the Extended Universe.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Was her dad calling her "stardust" established earlier in the film? It felt like that was supposed to be calling back to something but it just kinda came out of nowhere.

gohmak posted:

I saw it again, this time in 2D and you people complaining about uncanny valley for Tarkin and Leia are full of poo poo. If you didn't know of the original actors you wouldn't think it was CG at all.

I literally didn't remember Tarkin from New Hope and it was immediately apparent that he was a CGI character.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Was her dad calling her "stardust" established earlier in the film? It felt like that was supposed to be calling back to something but it just kinda came out of nowhere.

I think he says it in the opening scene and when they meet back up right before he dies, at least. Probably a couple more times throughout but I'm not 100% sure.

edit: He says it in the hologram message, too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I literally didn't remember Tarkin from New Hope and it was immediately apparent that he was a CGI character.

The last words of his message to her is that "the hearts of stars are made of pure kyber"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

CelticPredator posted:

Yo I'm pretty sure Vader's castle is on Sullust not Mustafar.

Pablo Hidalgo, head of the Lucasfilm Story Group said it was Mustafar.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That seems oddly low key for what turns out to be an important piece of information. When she said that I was like "ok i guess I'll take your word for it". "Hearts of stars" to "stardust" is totally not a connection I would make.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That seems oddly low key for what turns out to be an important piece of information. When she said that I was like "ok i guess I'll take your word for it". "Hearts of stars" to "stardust" is totally not a connection I would make.

I picked up on it almost immediately, largely because of Carl Sagan's "we are all made of stardust" (also, a Moby song). Although I think he actually said "starstuff".

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
In the Vader bording scene he caught a laser blast in his palm, held it for a moment and threw it at one of the white hats

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Open your ears next time because he calls her literally "stardust" at least 3 times throughout the film before we get to that point.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Just saw Rogue One, it was great other than the people sitting behind me who were constantly, and vocally, confused by the plot. Big shout out to the dude behind me who was confused who Forest Whitaker's character was despite being basically the only black character in the whole movie.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
:stare:

The Vader scene at the end was incredible.

gohmak posted:

I saw it again, this time in 2D and you people complaining about uncanny valley for Tarkin and Leia are full of poo poo. If you didn't know of the original actors you wouldn't think it was CG at all. If they lied and said it was Bill Nighy and Fishers daughter you would've cheered the casting choice.

I half agree with this. The Tarkin CGI is by far the best human face CGI I've ever seen, however, a few brief close ups when he was talking I noticed the Uncanny Valley. But, my wife who isn't super familiar with the series had no idea he was fully CGI until I told her after the movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Doflamingo posted:

Open your ears next time because he calls her literally "stardust" at least 3 times throughout the film before we get to that point.

As like, a throwaway. They have barely any time together. It seems like it was meant to tie back to like, an opening scene that takes on new importance, like they're looking at the stars and he's like "I worked in the stars once, but now you're my stardust" or something, idk. The importance of the plot point seemed out of balance to how understatedly the nickname is presented previously. Unless you're rigorously taking mental note of every trivial detail the movie throws at you I can't imagine having an "ah ha!" moment.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It's the experience of cinema magic.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Man I loving loved this. I heard someone describe it as a love letter to ANH and I absolutely agree.

My biggest complaint is that Michael Giacchino is no John Williams and the music sucked.

BigglesSWE posted:

Wow, that's some sharp observation right there. Again, makes sense that Wedge wasn't around Scarif.

Did you hear when one of the rebels on Yavin IV was talking to Antilles? I think it's right before Rogue One leaves- someone in the background calls over "Captain Antilles".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Radio! posted:

Did you hear when one of the rebels on Yavin IV was talking to Antilles? I think it's right before Rogue One leaves- someone in the background calls over "Captain Antilles".

Captain Antilles was the captain of the Tantive IV, a.k.a. the ship Leia is on.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

As like, a throwaway. They have barely any time together. It seems like it was meant to tie back to like, an opening scene that takes on new importance, like they're looking at the stars and he's like "I worked in the stars once, but now you're my stardust" or something, idk. The importance of the plot point seemed out of balance to how understatedly the nickname is presented previously. Unless you're rigorously taking mental note of every trivial detail the movie throws at you I can't imagine having an "ah ha!" moment.

I do think it was a dumb and unneeded moment personally but it's not like the rest of the film was any better in that respect. poo poo blowing up good and silly quips are all you could really ask for from this movie, and we got those in spades so it's all good.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Has anyone mentioned how loving great it is that Jyn Erso shoots a dude right in the dick in a movie that alt-right manchildren have been complaining is too ~SJW-y~? Because it's pretty loving great.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just saw it and really loved it. But I can't help but think about all the changes that must have occurred during the re shoots. Anyone else feel that Jyn was originally the Death Star Director's daughter but then they changed it to her being the daughter of the main engineer?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Young Freud posted:

Captain Antilles was the captain of the Tantive IV, a.k.a. the ship Leia is on.

Side note, he's not even related to Wedge. Somebody asked Lucas why they had the same name and he said it's the Star Wars version of Smith, lol.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Another thing I noticed about the opening sequence on second viewing is the planet's shadow plays across the rings in the shape of an expanding triangle like an encroaching Star Destroyer and is stripped like the letters of an opening crawl. It conjers the same imagery from A New Hope's opening.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's neat I was wondering why I was like " This looks like a Star Destroyer then it turns into being rings of a planet". That's a good catch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Radio! posted:

Has anyone mentioned how loving great it is that Jyn Erso shoots a dude right in the dick in a movie that alt-right manchildren have been complaining is too ~SJW-y~? Because it's pretty loving great.

no because noone cares about poo poo like that

• Locked thread